Start by marking “The Mafia Manager: A Guide to the Corporate Machiavelli” as Want to Read:
The Mafia Manager: A Guide to the Corporate Machiavelli

The Mafia Manager: A Guide to the Corporate Machiavelli

A leading figure from one of the world's first and best organized conglomerates here reveals management techniques we can all use. Witty, fun, and surprisingly useful, this is a must for the aspiring corporate Machiavelli. Unlike other management guides, The Mafia Manager shuns theoretical verbiage and instead presents the pragmatism and guiding philosophy of the leadershi ...more
Published May 15th 1997 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Mafia Manager, please sign up.
Gbolahan Probably because it was written by a man we only know as V, and probably because no one knows who he is.

Rui Carmo
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I remember when my friend Nuno Duarte gifted me a copy and said "this is the most important book you'll ever read".

Considering that he'd just finished his MBA at the time and that he's now head of LATAM for a major corp, I'd say he was right.
Alexey Shpakov
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
The book contains a list of harsh yet practical approaches to being a stern corporate ruler.
Machiavelli is mentioned in the title for a reason - the book tries to project mafia code and customs on corporate world.
Although I personally detest that approach, I could not but agree with it's efficiency.
There is no groundings or story lines inside - just plain statements. Harsh, sharp and to the point. It will be a nice table book if you think of raising a corporate godfather within you.
Emmanuel Ayeni
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
It was an interesting read with all forms of street-corporate sense, direct and all that needs be applied or filtered with utmost caution.
Andrey Nikishaev
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Отличная книга. Краткая и по теме. Никаких сюсюканий и прочего - голые факты.
Odo Simon Agbo
The book touches on sensitive issues that have to do with human relaionships and business relationship. Overall, the book presents workable principles for success in all human endeavors especially in Business and Management.
Amarta Adi
Jan 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
bagi yang berminat mendaki karir dengan cara jilat- menjilat, tikam- menikam dari belakang dan sebagainya bisa mengoleksi buku ini. milikilah 'moral seorang pelacur dan sopan santun seorang diplomat' untuk sukses, katanya.
Lori Grant
An optional-read book on office politics which will happen to you and around you whether you participate in politics or not.
David
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Behold the face of evil, this regressive but nonetheless remarkable compendium of road-tested and timeless aphorisms and recommendations for exactly how to make a killing in business. Somehow the author never gets around to asking why we'd make this kind of stab at greatness. Who would want to lead? A question for the author, and for Machiavelli himself. Some other questions one might have: Is it truly necessary to ensure that the woman's place is in the home only, and should know nothing of the ...more
Emmanuel Mandela
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Never ask your secretary to make you coffee, romantic involvement with her is strictly taboo "-V. Secretaries are usually the downfall of many great leaders, hence, V. admonished that you stay away from your secretary. Business is business. In this masterpiece, it is worthy to note that working smart is better than working hard. In business, you must learn when to be ruthless. Al Capone once remarked that you can achieve more with kind words and a gun than with kind words alone. Good read
Anggi Hartina
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Berasa udah kek mafia beneran. Keren banget ini buku, buat melatih kepercayaan diri cocok banget baca ini. Aku suka pesan-pesan yang ada dalam buku ini, sangat-sangat-sangat istimewa, jadi buat pelajaran untuk diri sendiri. Dalil yang masih aku pikirkan adalah, "Tidak ada yang disebut politikus murahan".
Larry
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A witty book involving the Mafia in relation to the business world, which contains some valuable insights about leadership.

This book combines common sense, street smarts, and business aptitude in a humorous and relevant fashion for the MBA and the layman.

I have read this book twice, and am sure I will read it again.

Saluti! 🍷
Chimdia
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
eternal wisdom
Finai
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The title caught my attention which led me to buying a copy. I was fond of the bluntness in the book and how it taught the street smart way of managing people and yourself in and outside a firm.
Oleg Vovchuk
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Если хочешь гулять по воде - знай, где под ней есть рифы...
Joan
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: management, favorites
I was very intrigued about this book when i bought it. I am at the field of management and several people recommend it to me. I heard that this book has excellent tips for managers and help you understand how a manager should operate. In fact, is very handful manual for managers and explains how a person should think when it comes at some serious businesses in politics or economics in order to avoid crisis. This book helped me understand how people might think in this field and that you always s ...more
Adhita Fitri
Sep 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: siapa saja yang ingin meraih kesuksesan dalam karir, bisnis, dan organisasi
Recommended to Adhita Fitri by: my "capo" = kakak saya
Shelves: inspirational
"Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer" hanyalah salah satu dari sekian banyak kata-kata bijak yang terangkum dalam buku ini.

Buku ini mengajarkan bagaimana menjadi seorang manager yang handal-baik dari segi kepemimpinan, manajemen diri, maupun pergaulan dengan kawan sekaligus lawan-melalui seni yang diterapkan oleh "The Silent Empire", Il cosa nostra, atau yang lebih akrab disebut Mafia dalam membangun kesuksesan "bisnis keluarga" yang mampu bertahan selama ratusan tahun.

Belaja
Lukáš Meravý
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Mafia Manager goes into the category of books about power. It's not an all encompassing epic like Robert Green's books, but a quick and dirty manual with incredible gems of wisdom. Biggest takeaway for me was categorizing people into the following categories: 1. Smart but no ambition 2. Ambitious but stupid 3. Smart and ambitious.
You should use category 1 as your manager (he does good work but doesnt cause you heat), category 2 should be avoided altogether or just used as pawns and category
Nick Argiriou
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Η επιχειρηματικότητα αντέχει πολλά στυλ, είναι ένα τεράστιο χωράφι όπου μπορείς να κινηθείς όπως θέλεις, ακολουθώντας κανόνες ή σπάζοντάς τους πειραματιζόμενος για τα αποτελέσματά τους. Δε μπορεί να πει κανείς ότι οι πρακτικές της Μαφίας είναι πολύ πετυχημένες, μια και που και που πέφτουν κάποιοι στο πάτωμα. Παρ' όλα αυτά το βιβλίο δίνει ενδιαφέρουσες απόψεις για το πως μπορούν να γίνουν τα πράγματα. Αξίζει για όποιον έχει "επιχειρηματικό πεδίο".
Shehu Usman
Jun 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
You can get a lot more done with a gun and a kind word than with a kind word alone.
I've never seen any book apart from the mafia manager that gives a wide insight to the knowledge possessed by the Dons of the most organised crime families in the history of mankind. Easy to understand, much easier to apply, i've found this great piece of writing a place in my heart.
Rio Cornelius
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ever think why certain bosses treat you like you don't matter? ever wonder why your best performance never give you the expected outcome? don't know whom to trust or to whack?

quoting "The best friend of a hungry buzzard is a dead horse. That is, in another way of saying, even a son of a bitch has his uses."
Isidora
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A Bible for those interested in knowing, what's the best and worst you can get out of human nature while doing business with people, with a backdrop of Mafia history. Some might find it crude, I find it pragmatic
Muhammad Ridha Fahlawy
Buku nyo cocok that keu ureung keurija kanto yg hana galak peuraturan tapi galak bagah ek pangkat. Taktik dan meubagoe macam cara ala mafia geu peutrang lam buku nyo dengan jelaih. Pokok jih bereh lah buku nyo...
Mine
Jan 03, 2009 marked it as to-read
Alexander Giamas
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Easy and fun to read, not really spectacular but overall a good one.
Armina Kazaryan
Забавно. Но есть и пара полезных советов.
Junaid Muhammad
Aug 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Worth reading. I really like it.
Agung  Perkasa
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
i read this book all of the day. it good boook. it inspired me about mafia life. yes..

instead i read this book in bahasa, no english.
Vladimir
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-best-ever
The Straightforward Guide for a Boss Who gonna be successful.
Jerry Uchendu
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
dis book has a permanent place in my bookshelv .a must read if u must be succesful in dis ting of ours
  • Blown to Bits: How the New Economics of Information Transforms Strategy
  • Value Migration: How to Think Several Moves Ahead of the Competition
  • The Deadline: A Novel about Project Management
  • Der Weg zur finanziellen Freiheit. In sieben Jahren die erste Million.
  • A Handbook of Human Resource Management Practice
  • Mob Rules: What the Mafia Can Teach the Legitimate Businessman
  • The Art of War for Executives
  • When Cultures Collide: Leading Across Cultures
  • The Choice: Global Domination or Global Leadership
  • Jack Trout on Strategy
  • Şeytanın Fısıldadıkları
  • Even Eagles Need a Push: Learning to Soar in a Changing World
  • Up the Organization: How to Stop the Corporation from Stifling People and Strangling Profits
  • Тайм-драйв: Как успевать жить и работать
  • Thinking in C++, Vol. 2: Practical Programming
  • Jewish Wisdom for Business Success: Lessons from the Torah and Other Ancient Texts
  • Tamerlane the Earth Shaker