Start by marking “Darkness, Be My Friend (Tomorrow, #4)” as Want to Read:
Darkness, Be My Friend (Tomorrow, #4)

Darkness, Be My Friend

(Tomorrow #4)

Nowhere to run; one place left to hide. You're running from bullets through the streets of your own town. Your life's on the line and no-one's there to help.

What's happened?

When did safety turn to fear, peace turn to war, happiness turn to panic? When did your normal day become a nightmare?

Ellie and her friends struggle with the biggest
Published August 1st 1997 by Pan (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Darkness, Be My Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness, Be My Friend

Priscila
Okay, so I feel like I should write a review of this book because there is a rape scene that is romanticized, and passed off as a sex scene. I am so fucking tired of seeing abuse romanticized in YA literature. It is so fucking unhealthy and disgusting, but I think the reason this one in particular pisses me off is because it completely blind sided me. I love this series, it's about a group of teens that conincidentally go camping on the days their town gets invaded. In consequence they turn into rebels an ...more
Ryan Buckby
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First Read: March 16th 2010
Re-read: March 2nd 2018

The fourth book in the tomorrow series picks up after the events of book 3.Five months into World War III, Ellie and her four remaining friends have barely escaped the Australian town of Wirrawee with their lives and their sanity intact. But as the next step becomes clear, they realize they must once again sacrifice their hard-won comfort and safety. A group of soldiers has recruited the kids to guide the way to the Wirrawee air base.
Amy Norris
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As this is the fourth book in the series I'll keep this brief to avoid spoilers. Another great installment in this series. Action-packed, a fast read, and great characters. Can't wait to see where this goes.
Zoey
3.5 ★
So wish we could have half stars on here!!!!!
After being rescued by the New Zealand army at the end of the previous book, Ellie, Homer & the rest of their little group are heading back to Hell.
Another good instalment of this series, but I didn’t find this one as gripping as previous ones, that may be because it had to follow the 3rd book ( The Third Day, The Frost ) which in my opinion is the best in the series (so far) so it had a lot to live up too. Not as much action & m
Mish
Mar 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mish by: Helen
This didn’t impress me as much as the others in the series. The book deals with the physiological impact the teenagers are going through as a result of the war. The action scenes are still heavy and fast paced but it’s all starting to sound the same. Not a lot of progress is being made. It is emotional in parts, when we learn a little more of family and friends held at the showgrounds.

Overall I think the series is brilliant and I’ve come too really like the characters. In particular Ellie, I th
Bodosika Bodosika
Starting Words: I didn't want to go back.
Ending Words: Pay the price and be proud you have paid it,that's what I reckon.

Readable but not my thing
however I will give it 2 Stars.
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
This review was originally posted on The Moonlight LibraryWe can’t all be winners all the time.

That’s the theme of this book.

Sure, in the past, things have gone wrong. Plans have gone awry. People have been killed.

But the main objective was always achieved.

Wirrawee Bridge. The officer’s houses. Cobbler’s Bay.

Not in this book.

This book is all about failure.

Small mistakes.

The kind you make because you’ve been li
Lars Guthrie
May 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marsden keeps hitting them out of the park for me in this series, which take place in a present-time Australia that has been invaded and conquered. In 'Darkness,' Marsden's teenage narrator Ellie is forced out of a sort of retirement in New Zealand after she and her friends accomplished a spectacular act of resistance in 'A Killing Frost.' Perhaps this is best, as Ellie seems at loose ends. After some self-destructive behavior at a party, she signs on to return to Australia. As with the previous ...more
Kandi
Jan 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story felt the slowest of the all so far, however I'm still loving the series. It was interesting to hear about how damaged they all were after their time in the prison camps. I don't think any of them realized how traumatized they actually were. They just kept living each day, never know when it would be their last. I'm really curious to see how the next book goes as they are now stuck back in the thick of the war.
Natalie
3.5 / 5 for this one.

After how incredible the previous book in this series was, I found that this one (by comparison) fell slightly flat unfortunately ._.

The beginning of this novel deals with the aftermath of the end of A Killing Frost, in particular the (view spoiler). In this, Ellie and co are in New Zealand (and have been for five months or so), dealing with the
Jessica

**check out my review for Tomorrow, When the War Began for my take on the series as a whole**

Probably the slowest of the series so far, but by no means unworthy of the 5 stars rating. The feel of this book and the style are a bit of a departure. There is less action and craziness and way more internal dialogue for Ellie. I noticed a lot more “I remember when...”, and Ellie will often stop midway through a conversation or action sequence to share an anecdote with the reader. I can see how this m
Sally
Oh man am I glad I went right into this after The Third Day, the Frost! I think I can stand to wait a little before moving onto the next book now, but not too long because WHOA.

(view spoiler) ...more
K.
Plot summary: Now safe in Wellington, Ellie and her friends are adapting to life outside of war-torn Australia. All that is about to change. When they're asked to return to Wirrawee with a team of New Zealand soldiers to undertake guerilla attacks, they reluctantly agree. But when the New Zealand soldiers disappear without a trace, the teenagers must once again fend for themselves, and decide once again whether to hide out or fight for their country.

Thoughts: This is the book where t
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I really enjoyed the first three books in the series, but after the third book, it kind of felt finished. Since I was reading a book containing the first books all in one, I knew it had to continue one way or another, but I was still a bit disappointed in the way they made it happen. After all, they might have been acting as rebels, they are not soldiers.

The action is still very fast-paced but the story is less big than the previous books. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed
Adrielle
Jul 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I see a progression in characters here, they keep getting stronger, no matter what they have to face. In war time, this is an indisputable fact, you toughen up or you die. What you don't expect is one of your own, one on your side turns on you. Without spoiling anything, this happens to Ellie. At this stage I'm going to say I don't feel that this series is suitable for anyone under the age of 16 simply because there is the risk that anyone younger may think that the 'thing' I am talking about is ...more
Kaila
Still eminently readable, but not quite as good as the previous books in this series. Ellie is basically suffering from PTSD for this entire book, so it is a lot more talking about how scared and tired everyone is. It was a lot more about how terrible war is, but our intrepid youngsters seemed less knowable then ever. There was a lot of narrative, explaining stuff, not very much conversation. It's hard to explain because that all seems to follow one another - of course they are unknowable now, l ...more
Brooke
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, survival, war
I just love this series. This installment is not as heart-wrenching as the previous, but still has it's rough and depressing moments. It does follow the same formula where the climax is the kids attacking the enemy in some way. For some reason, I don't tire of this plot line though. I think it's because of the realistic characters. Can't wait to read #5!
Cherie
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
The five are back on their own after the Kiwi soldiers vanish. Their mission in town fails but they manage to escape back into Hell. What next?
Daisy
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading the Tomorrow series a few years ago, after a family friend bought me the first book (original australian edition muhahahhahaha) after discovering my love of books. I fell in love with the characters, story and writing straight away - despite the leap that I'd just made into more sophisticated writing. I have to say, the last book, The Third Day The Frost, left me wondering how a sequel could better it - so I'm not surprised the Darkness Be My Friend didn't quite live up to my e ...more
Ashley
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book i read from the series, because i don’t know the meaning of chronological order. But it’s been about 6/7 years since that first and only read. I remembered the beginning and bits of the end, but i never remembered the middle. Now i know why. This book has the least amount of plot, it could literally be redacted and nothing of any consequence would be lost aside from facts that could totally be brought in later, when a plot was relevant. I still enjoy the characters, the w ...more
TheWerewolf'sBookworm
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This started off a little slow for me, when comparing it to the previous books, but it was still a great read.
This book is the one that actually introduces the new characters and has Ellie and her friends in a different country, at least for a little bit. I liked how it showed the differences of what the group was like before they got to New Zealand and when they went back to their country. This really showed how the characters have changed because they had time to process everything that they
Gillian Murrell
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After 5 months in New Zealand Elle and her little gang are asked to go back to Wirrawee with a team of New Zealand soldiers. The Australians are to act as guides mostly as they know the terrain like the back of their hands. But nothing goes to plan in this book unlike previous books everything they trie fails. On their First mission they loose the New Zealanders then they decide to try and do some damage them selves.
Agne
Dec 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

I liked this one as well, the pace and style is great and there are lots of intense moments again. However, the way the book starts is really implausible for me this time. I mean who would send them back? That's crazy. And I have a feeling that although the plot was cool, it won't matter that much in the context of the whole series. Seems like an in-between. I could be wrong, though.
Amanda
Jul 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Boots
I feel like Darkness, Be My Friend is the weakest novel so far in an otherwise excellent series. I would still recommend the series on a whole but I hope the next novels are better than this one.

Some people might not have a problem with it but for me there were some issues with the plot that were so far fetched that it had a negative effect on the believability of the entire series, and I already had to stretch my imagination to begin with so that's not a good thing.

Also there was a refer
Laurie
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this book, #4 of the Tomorrow series, should have been incorporated into the story in either book 3 or book 5 of this series. If I had not been reading the series, I would have put the book down after the first couple of chapters. I truly see no valid reason to have a whole book, #4, segueing into another complete book. All this book does is link books 4 and 5. The only action is a muddled attempt to help the war cause for the Australians, and I don't believe it has to have a book to itself.
Tamarasoo
this is the 4th in a YA series about a group of Aussie teens who come back from a camping trip in the outback to find that their country has been invaded and everyone else in their community has been taken prisoner. by book 4 the story is getting a little formulaic--the kids have been through hell, they attempt another act of sabotage against the enemy. but i have to keep reading all 7 to find out what finally happens in the end.
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief i'm not actually mad!
Marsden is a Fantastic writer! his characters are incredible and so real, the whole story feels like its really happened to Ellie and her friends.
Ellie is beautifully flawed that she just seems like a teenager you would meet in the street and i love that!

looking forward to getting my hands on the next book in this series :D
Z
Jun 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
Very nice, not only from an action point of view, but also psychologically. This isn't about the fighting so much as what it does to a person's mind. Also, wow. I'm not sure I like the New Zealand people so much.
Seena Seena
This installment did not have the same edge the previous 2 had.

• Queen Kat, Carmel and St. Jude Get a Life
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Stone Key (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #5)
  • Thunderwith
  • Looking for Alibrandi
  • People Might Hear You
  • Raincheck on Timbuktu
  • Nona & Me
  • Genesis (The Rosie Black Chronicles, #1)
  • Unbelievable! (Uncollected)
  • The Complete Adventures of Snugglepot and Cuddlepie
There is more than one author with this name in the database, see f.e. John Marsden

His first book, So Much To Tell You, was published in 1987. This was followed by Take My Word For It, a half-sequel written from the point of view of another character. His landmark Tomorrow series is recognized as the most popular book series for young adults ever written in Australia. The first book of this series, Tomorrow Wh

Tomorrow (7 books)
  • Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1)
  • The Dead of Night (Tomorrow, #2)
  • A Killing Frost (Tomorrow, #3)
  • Burning For Revenge (Tomorrow, #5)
  • The Night Is for Hunting (Tomorrow, #6)
  • The Other Side of Dawn (Tomorrow, #7)
“But it was my parents I longed for mostly. I wanted to be a little girl again and cuddle into them, wriggling in between them like I'd done in their bed when I was three or four, snug and warm in the safest place in the world.

Instead I had Hell.”
27 likes
“It's good to keep changing your mind. It shows you're thinking. I'll only stop changing my mind when I'm dead. And maybe not even then.” 27 likes