Start by marking “The Journey” as Want to Read:
The Journey

The Journey

3.3  ·  Rating details ·  269 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A book for all people. And all who read it will be changed by the experience.

". . . an extraordinary book. . . I would commend it to everybody." Terry Lane, ABC Radio

The Journey is a story of young people in a world so different and yet so like our own. It is a world in which young people must undertake a journey of discovery on their way to becoming adults.

Fourteen-year
Published July 1st 1990 by Pan Australia (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Journey

Sally
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: could-not-finish
THIS was the book that we all hid behind the stacks in the library reading in year 8, a little group of us, because of the scene where the guy masturbates on a hill or something. SO NAUGHTY OMG! It served three giggling 13-year-olds very well indeed ;) The rest of the book I did try to read once, but could never get into. I guess a guy's journey just wasn't that interesting to me back then, and I doubt I'll ever pick it up for another try.
Emma Astill
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Every teenager should have to read this book. In year 9 it was read to my class by our English teacher and every student in the class sat silent and soaked in every word!
Maggieg
Feb 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A short book about a boy's rite of passage to manhood. Contains lots of truths.
Yvette Adams
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
A coming-of-age novel. A boy on a journey. A boy jerking off. Now THAT seemed to come out of nowhere (no pun intended).

By the author of the Tomorrow series. This reminded me of The Alchemist, without the bits i didn't like.

This is my first Marsden book and i liked his writing. i think I'll enjoy The Tomorrow series.
Blake
Mar 03, 2015 rated it liked it
1.I decided to read this book because my friend recommended it to me and said it was a good book 2.I found the setting of this book really interesting through out the story as it was set mostly on a farm and even though it was a globe of 6 billion people he always felt secluded and it was set as if it was only him in the world. 3."this World is just a sphere ready for exploring" I liked this quote because it relates to this book so well like as life is just a journey that we were chosen for. 4.T ...more
James Savill
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe this story isn't more highly rated on Goodreads.

It's a delightful story that's so well written. I liked the writing even more than the authors, Tommorow When The War Began, which is also very good.

The story follows that journey of a boy who must leave home and experience life. His task is to return home with seven stories from his journey.

I couldn't help compare this story with The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Both are great reads.
A.B. Shepherd
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book was not really my style. Interestingly written story of a young man's journey to maturity. He must come home with seven stories that prove he has learned what it means to be a man. I'm not a fan of stories that you have to decipher to find the meaning, which is why this book isn't really my style, but it was a good tale.
Maggie
Dec 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
very very teenage fiction which is a disappointment for me as I enjoyed Marsden's War series as an adult. But this book is aimed at teenagers, so I cant be surprised
Kathryn
Jul 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
I'm just not sure I got much out of it...

You see; it's an emotional and spiritual journey into becoming an adult in the guise of a physical traipse through the landscape.

Eh; not my cup of tea.
Simone
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Read as a teenager growing up. I recommend for a growing teenage who is not really knowing what life is all about yet.
Anne
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is one that has stayed with me for years, it resonated with me so strongly at the time. I think I was in my early to mid teens when I read this and I am so glad I found it.
serenaaa
Bianca
Apr 13, 2012
  • Mandragora
  • Tulku
  • Norah of Billabong (Billabong, #3)
  • Cross My Heart
  • Looking for Alibrandi: Screenplay of a Film
  • Pigs Might Fly
  • The Simple Gift
  • Raincheck on Timbuktu
  • Skymaze (Space Demons Trilogy, #2)
See also: John Marsden.

His first book, So Much To Tell You, was published in 1987. This was followed by Take My Word For It, a half-sequel written from the point of view of another character. His landmark Tomorrow series is recognized as the most popular book series for young adults ever written in Australia. The first book of this series, Tomorrow When The War Began, has been reprinted 26 times i
More about John Marsden