Start by marking “The New Sugar Busters! Cut Sugar to Trim Fat” as Want to Read:
The New Sugar Busters! Cut Sugar to Trim Fat

The New Sugar Busters! Cut Sugar to Trim Fat

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  689 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
When SUGAR BUSTERS! hit the shelves almost five years ago, it quickly became a diet and lifestyle phenomenon, soaring to the number one spot on the New York Times bestseller list and embraced by millions of people across the country. Those satisfied individuals on the SUGAR BUSTERS! plan discovered that by simply choosing the correct carbohydrates and lowering their sugar ...more
Published December 24th 2002 by Random House Publishing Group (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The New Sugar Busters! Cut Sugar to Trim Fat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Sugar Busters! Cut Sugar to Trim Fat

Bookfanatic
An older book, I think this came out in 1995, about the connection between America's obesity crisis and the addition of refined sugar in our food. Written by three medical doctors, the book is sinple and straightforward. There are meals plans and some recipes at the end. There are more recent books like Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taube, which give greater insight into the disastrous effects of sugar in our diet, but SugarBusters is a good start.
Linda
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book ten years ago and have remembered it's easy advice for cutting sugar to trim fat. My husband lost 80 lbs and I lost 20. We've kept it off by maintaining the sugar buster way of eating. I don't like to call it a diet, it's just the way we eat.
Katherine
Dec 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mind-and-body
I thought the rationale behind this book made a lot of sense. I however did not follow through with the plan. This is a book I plan to re-read and maybe incorporate some of the principals within my diet. I do eat too many processed foods and sugars. Not good for my particular health needs. This book has been out a while. I do recommend it.
Andd Becker
Written by a CEO, a cardiovascular surgeon, an endocrinologist, and a gastroenterologist, the book has credible authorial expertise. Most useful are the lists of acceptable foods and foods to avoid.
Combine this book with wide reading on nutrition, and then assemble your own yes/no food lists.
Jade
Sep 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that compelled me to commit to cutting out added sugar from my diet. It's terrifying how much sugar the average American consumes, unknowingly, per year. In 2000, it was 158 pounds. This huge intake of sugar has a lot to do with why people are developing type II diabetes.
Mark
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Celebrated finishing this book today by a serving of French toast with genuine maple syrup. But I do plan to (and already do) use it's better ideas. I suspect the authors are still too anti-fat in diet, but they make strides.
Aleksander
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nadaljevanje oz. nadgradnja Montignacovega koncepta glikemicnega indeksa. Iz lastnih izkusenj preverjeno in v kar absolutno verjamem. Zelo dobro razlozi kako zadeve "res" delujejo in pomece s stereotipi ki se jih na zalost oklepajo tradicinalni nutricionisti in je zakoreninjeno v naso miselnost in vsakdan.

Na nek nacin zelo preprosto in prav neverjetno kako se o tem govori ze kar nekaj casa (nekaj desetletij), vendar nikakor ne dobi bolj splosne veljave. Avtorji sami to razlagajo s tem, da Montin
Kristen MacGregor
Mar 05, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'll confess, I only read the Intro, first chapter, chapter 9 and peeked at the recipes. Had I realized what this book really was, I would have never borrowed it from the library! This book is a completely fallacy- any "diet" that tells you you can eat all the "steak, lamb chops, cheese, eggs and so on" but completely cut out potatoes, corn, beets & carrots is not going to be a healthy diet. Yes, eliminating your sugar intake does help- but that doesn't mean you can eat anything you want tha ...more
Michael Hentrich
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was written a little while ago, in 1995. Many of the topics in here about the damaging effects of sugar are becoming mainstream knowledge now, but I'm sure it was more novel at the time.

This book is a simple and quick read, basically focusing on the effects of sugar on the body and making a plan to eat foods that are void of or low in sugar as well as to avoid foods that are high on the glycemic index. The type is big, the margins wide, the pages small, and almost half of the book is t
Caroline
Jun 05, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn 19t the most exciting read, but the advice it gives is sound and the diet programme and recipes are easy to follow. Sugar Busters was one of the first Low GI Diets and this is an updated version.

The link between obesity, insulin resistance and diabetes is one that should not be ignored. Even if you don 19t follow the diet plan to the letter, cutting out some of the obvious sugars in your diet, as well as the hidden ones can only have a positive effect on your health and on your we
Chrystal Mahan
I read this book years ago when it first came out. After being diagnosed with PCOS last year and realizing I have been suffering from it, along with the insulin resistance it brings, my docs and I knew I had to change my way of eating. I had been struggling for years to lose weight with no luck. Since going low carb I have finally been able to shed weight. I saw this book in a thrift shop for a $1 and decided to read it again. It's not my plan of eating , but there is a bit of useful information ...more
Samantha
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I listened to this in the car and found it very interesting. It gives a detailed explanation of how foods that raise your glucose levels (glycemic index) leave leftover glucose not used by the cells for energy, so it gets stored as fat. Having just taken college-level Molecular and Cell Biology last spring, I found it really intriguing. So I cut out most sugar and high glycemic index foods. Haven't lost any weight. So going to reduce fat intake as well - at least this way, I won't replace the fa ...more
David Schlack
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.0 - Sugar Busters is useful to me as a type 2 diabetic. It's observation of insulin as a creator of fat and our high American glycemic diets was enlightening. The book contains a food glycemic tables, helpful ways to eat the right foods, encourages light exercising at least four times a week, a 14 day menu plan, many low sugar recipes, list what foods which are better than others, and surprisingly, a list of desserts that are low in sugar. The book makes so much sense and offers a large variet ...more
Abby
Dec 31, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Oh, I just wanted to read a book about sugar and why not to eat it. On accident, this book turned out to be a diet book popular in New Orleans in the mid 90's. And lots of the nutritional information in it was wrong. Some parts were interesting. I even persevered to the final end.

But really, unless you have unlimited amounts of time to waste reading old diet books, there are so many more valuable, correct, and up to date books out there. Dumb library for letting me check this out. They wasted my
Ed
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a reasonable approach to dieting
A most interesting approach to dieting and maintenance. Like most diet books, though, the whole rationale and instructions could have been done in 20-30 pages. Instead we get Chapters on childhood obesity and other peripheral issues.

The least valuable part of the book was the 100 pages of recipes from famous restaurants.

I guess they have to bulk it up to make the cost appear fair.

It is a good diet, though. I've lost 23 pounds in 3 months.
Marni Tagami
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nutrition
For those who are pre-diabetic or diabetic, this book is easy to read and very practical. It gives the information needed about these conditions and what to do to control them or to not let them progress. Good foods are quite numerous; The bad foods list isn't that bad. Recipes are given for 14 days of meals that are easy to prepare. I think when I finally come to the point where I am totally ready to get off of sugar, this will be my-go text book.
Kat
Dec 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
I finished this book in one sitting. I will admit I did not retain a lot of information because majority of it (the first part) was a health lesson on digestion, cardiovascular health, and diabetes. I did get a few pointers though. It taught me the foods to avoid (or restrict and that for weight loss sugar is the enemy not fats!
Angela Buckland
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hands down, one of my favorite books about healthy eating. I probably reference this book at least one a week to someone who is sincerely trying to eat better. This is such a great and easy place to start. No counting calories. Just simple, mindful eating of complex carbs, protein, and fat. This book was low-carb before low-carb was even in vogue!
Jesse
Jan 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my resolutions this year is to eat less sugar. I have a pretty bad sweet tooth that I need to control. I liked the overall message of the book but i really dragged at times and was tough to finish. It had a lot of parts that just didn't apply to me so it might be best if read as a reference book rather than a novel.
L
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative yer reader friendly. Premise of book logical. Have ordered the updated book and am going to eat accordingly to manage blood sugar and cholesterol.

Note the authors stress you still must watch portion sizes and only eat lean meats. They reiterate this throughout the book and eating balance plates.
Richard
Jan 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who hass tried and failed to live healthier
Recommended to Richard by: saw it on the library shelf
Good stuff here that makes a lot of sense. Deprivation diets won't work for me and won't work for most people. This book, for the most part, gives you a way around deprivation while also giving you a roadmap to a healthier lifestyle. Some sections contain a lot of medical terminology, but readers can skip those parts and still get the benefit of the book.
andrew mcgraw
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an old book (1995, I think) that I picked up at a Goodwill store over the holidays. Pretty basic stuff, but good emphasis on the fact that when it comes to weight management-insulin is THE enemy and strategies for minimizing its effects. Had some recipes in the back that looked pretty good that I may try.
Sharon Botts
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Informative.

I am currently working on my on own lifestyle changes that include weight loss. I was diagnosed with MS in 2009 and have a regular exercise routine . I also try to watch my diet.
This will help me to better identify what to purchase and provide a list to the shopper.
Kathleen
Apr 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book I've read on why we should eat a healthy, balanced diet and what that consists of. And what they say about increased energy and weight loss is true. I am already feeling the benefit of cutting sugar out of my diet.
Trudy
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd time I have read this book. It has a lot of good info, I used it as a base for GI info to keep my sugars down, I maintained my no red meat eating, eating whole grains and the right vegetables and lost 5lbs the first week and felt great.
Gerry Kelly
Best yet for really wanting to shed pounds without a lot of pain of starving.....One must follow the rules and you will lose....I lost 60lbs eating by the books...But when it tells don't eat something, then don't cause the program won't work then....and it is that simple.
Xondra Day
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maybe
Rather restrictive and didn't tell me anything that I already knew about dieting and reduced portions. I was expecting something more enlightening I guess. We all know that too much sugar isn't good for you along with refined and processed foods. The diet read like a different version of Atkins.
Kate
Oct 11, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Trying to sort through this book for hypoglycemia was a mess. It's chapter listing foods by glycemic index was most helpful. The rest felt like a bit of filler with a few helpful suggestions here and there.
Kristin
Some of the info is out of date, and the reader (I listened to the audiobook version) was way too dramatic. But, the overall message to get sugar out of your diet if your goal is optimal health is sound.
Janet Wilcox
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book for over a year, but finally got serious about "my addiction!" I've actually starting living by its recommendations. I've read about 5 chapters so far and it makes a lot of sense.
  • Lick the Sugar Habit
  • Sugar Shock!: How Sweets and Simple Carbs Can Derail Your Life--and How You Can Get Back on Track
  • Thin Within
  • Eyeing the Flash: The Making of a Carnival Con Artist
  • Get the Sugar Out: 501 Simple Ways to Cut the Sugar Out of Any Diet
  • Mastering the Zone: The Next Step in Achieving SuperHealth and Permanent Fat Loss
  • Atkins for Life: The Complete Controlled Carb Program for Permanent Weight Loss and Good Health
  • Sugar Blues
  • Dice: Deception, Fate & Rotten Luck
  • The pH Miracle for Weight Loss: Balance Your Body Chemistry, Achieve Your Ideal Weight
  • The Insulin-Resistance Diet
  • The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet To: Free Yourself from Food Cravings: Achieve Your Ideal Weight; Enjoy High Energy and Robust Health; Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • Food: Your Miracle Medicine
  • The South Beach Diet
  • The Sonoma Diet: Trimmer Waist, Better Health in Just 10 Days!
  • The Weight Loss Cure They Don't Want You to Know About
  • The Schwarzbein Principle
  • If I Love You, Am I Trapped Forever?

“Eighty-five percent of all diabetes sufferers are overweight or obese.” 0 likes
“Mashed Ginger Yams 1½ pounds yams ⅛ cup grated ginger 2 ounces butter 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme 1 cup buttermilk salt and pepper to taste Peel, cook and mash yams. Add remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.” 0 likes