Start by marking “The Journal of Rufus Rowe, A Witness to the Battle of Fredericksburg (My Name Is America)” as Want to Read:

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  87 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Acclaimed author Sid Hite brings the drama of the Civil War to life through the eyes of Rufus Rowe, a Confederate boy.

Sixteen-year-old Rufus Rowe runs away from home, to escape his cruel stepfather. He finds work and shelter in Fredericksburg, Virginia, just as the Rebel troops begin to amass in preparation for a confrontation with the Union Army. Rufus befriends several C
Published October 1st 2003 by Scholastic Inc.

Be the first to ask a question about The Journal of Rufus Rowe, A Witness to the Battle of Fredericksburg

Molly
Jun 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
This entire series is a wonderful way to learn history or teach it to adolescents. I find today's generations seem to recall more when they learn through other people (pop songs, celebrity gossip, etc.), so what better way to teach history than through someone else's perspective? Yes, "authentic" diaries would be "better", but would the language really hold the modern student's attention? Did the diary writer know what WOULD be important in the context of history? Probably not.
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rufus is sixteen but, because of a physical condition from when he was younger, is not able to join the Southern army. He has some troubles at home so goes to the relatively nearby town of Fredericksburg and ends up staying on a farm, befriending a black worker there. He goes into town and meets the Rebel soldiers who are there. The Union Army has gathered on the other side of the river from the town, and it seems a major fight is brewing.

Fortunately for the Southern forces, Robert E. Lee arriv
Jacob
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Journal of Rufus Rowe, A witness to the Battle of Fredericksburg by Sid Hite is about a sixteen-year old Confederate boy named Rufus. He runs away from home to get away from his step-father who is very cruel to him. He finds work in Fredericksburg, Virginia. The Confederate soldiers are gathering for a confrontation with the Union Army to fight for the town. Rufus joins the Confederate forces and not only fights but records what he see's at the battle. He witnesses a lot of death and begins ...more
Glen Stott
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
The 1862/63 journal of 16-year-old Rufus Rowe. Rufus ran away from home and found a job in Fredericksburg just before the battle. He observed the Army or the Potomac set up camp across the river from Fredericksburg, where it stalled waiting for pontoons to cross. Meanwhile Lee’s army showed up and dug in. The Union lost the battle because of poor preparation and leadership from General Burnside. Rufus only witnessed the part of the battle on Marye’s hill, but that was the major part of the confr ...more
ϟEvelynϟ
I would get bored reading this at times. The thought of not continuing the book crossed my mind many times because it would be a bore. Though, it certainly did have a lot of good history in it.
I have to admit that I did skim through a lot of the book so my rate wouldn't be as accurate than the person that fully read the book. --Evelyn
Dana Still
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Twin text: I would pair this book up with You Wouldn't want to be a Civil War Soldier! by Thomas Ratliff. The non-fiction book is full of facts and incredible illustrations. The Fiction book is part of the Dear America series, this book is written as if it is a diary which helps pull the reader into the story. In the back of the book it has a Historical Note that adds facts to the story.
Whitney
Mar 12, 2010 rated it did not like it
I love Dear America books but this is my least favorite to date. It's a fine story but it just missing character development and "oomph." The main character, Rufus, makes friends with a slave and this could have been a much bigger point in the book.
Amy
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really Good. This Series is wonderful!
Renae
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Not fabulous. Not terrible. Short and a little disappointing.
Meghan
Aug 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Wished the story was broader than just the one battle. Most of it was the before and after. Short but still good.
Patrice
Dec 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Once again, I'm not a big fan of war/battle stories.
Flower
Good view of historic events.
Tonya
Sep 11, 2014
Jennie Vosen
Mar 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Journal Of Sean Sullivan, A Transcontinental Railroad Worker (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal Of Brian Doyle: Greenhorn on an Alaskan Whaling Ship, The Florence, 1874 (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Finn Reardon, A Newsie (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Jesse Smoke : A Cherokee Boy, Trail of Tears, 1838 (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Augustus Pelletier: The Lewis and Clark Expedition, 1804
  • The Journal Of Biddy Owens, Birmingham, Alabama, 1948
  • Journal of Jedediah Barstow: An Emigrant On The Oregon Trail (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Jasper Jonathan Pierce: A Pilgrim Boy (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Douglas Allen Deeds: The Donner Party Expedition, 1846  (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Wong Ming-Chung: A Chinese Miner, California, 1852 (My Name is America)
  • The Journal of Ben Uchida: Citizen 13559 Mirror Lake Internment Camp (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Patrick Seamus Flaherty: United States Marine Corps, Khe Sanh, Vietnam, 1968 (My Name Is America)
  • When Christmas Comes Again: The World War I Diary of Simone Spencer (Dear America)
  • Land of the Buffalo Bones: The Diary of Mary Ann Elizabeth Rodgers, An English Girl in Minnesota (Dear America)
  • Five Smooth Stones : Hope's Diary, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1776, (My America)
  • The Starving Time (My America: Elizabeth's Jamestown Colony Diary, #2)
  • Flying Free (My America: Corey's Underground Railroad Diary, #2)
“For me, writing books for a living is a grand privilege. I often feel as if I've won some sort of prize.”

Sid grew up in a family of seven in the small town of Bowling Green, Virginia. Sid says that when he was young he “had more energy than brains.” And further states that he “[wishes] it was still that way.”

Sid discovered his passion for novels in his teenage years and decided right then and the
More about Sid Hite...

My Name Is America (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Journal Of William Thomas Emerson, A Revolutionary War Patriot (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of James Edmond Pease, A Civil War Union Soldier: Virginia, 1863 (My Name is America #)
  • The Journal Of Joshua Loper, A Black Cowboy (My Name Is America)
  • The Journal of Scott Pendleton Collins: A World War 2 Soldier
  • The Journal of Jasper Jonathan Pierce: A Pilgrim Boy (My Name Is America)
  • Journal of Augustus Pelletier: The Lewis and Clark Expedition, 1804
  • The Journal Of Otto Peltonen, A Finnish Immigrant (My Name Is America)