Start by marking “The World According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #1)” as Want to Read:
The World According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #1)

The World According to Humphrey

(According to Humphrey #1)

The first book in the series about everyone's favorite classroom pet!

You can learn a lot about life by observing another species. That’s what Humphrey was told when he was first brought to Room 26. And boy, is it true! In addition to having FUN-FUN-FUN in class, each weekend this amazing hamster gets to sleep over with a different student, like Lower-Your-Voice-A.J. and Sp
Published May 5th 2005 by Puffin Books (first published February 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The World According to Humphrey, please sign up.
Heather McC Humphrey is indeed the class hamster, purchased by substitute teacher Mrs. Mac before she left for wild adventures around the world.

Books like this deserve a five stars in my world, because although they are simple and nothing too exciting really happens in them, I really appreciate that it is a cute, early chapter book that young, advanced readers can enjoy. No language or bad attitudes here! Just fun, wholesome reading that any elementary reader could enjoy. I read this out loud to my first grader and she adored it. She is so happy that there are many more books in the series.
Shan
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every young child
Shelves: children
My 5 year old nephew, in kindergarten, received this book through his elementary school (grades K-2) that is launching a new school program called One School, One book, where every family receives a copy of the same book and are recommended to read a chapter a day for the entire month. This book is a chapter book with no pictures and it was the first time reading a book like this to my nephew. I LOVED this book! Though, I'm not so sure if my nephew shares the same enthusiasm for this book as I d ...more
Michael Mccarthy
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a great book. I really enjoyed reading it for a number of reasons. This book is written from the perspective of a hamster known as Humphrey who is a student in a class known as Room 26. Reading a book from a hamster’s perspective is unusual and I feel this would intrigue a pupil an interest and inspire the pupil to continue reading. At the same it is challenging for a reader to continually read from this perspective and would encourage a child to use their imagination in order to underst ...more
Irene
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids in Elementary School
Shelves: children
What a delightful read!

Humphrey is a kind, open-minded hamster who makes friends easily. He is fiercely loyal and quick to go out of his way to lend a helping hand - or paw, as Humphrey would say!

Through this first-person narrative from the perspective of a classroom pet, young readers will see that first impressions are not always accurate; that people are multifaceted, and you can't really understand a person until you see all aspects of his/her life; that sometimes, when people have problem
Emily
A charming and delightful read to kick off my 2018 reading challenge! The Humphrey series has quite a few faithful borrowers among my library patrons, thus piquing my interest. Apparently book 1 was marked as Lost in my system, so I borrowed a copy from the public library, to see what the "fuss" was about, as I'd never heard of them.

I now see why these kiddos enjoy them so much! It's not a whole school following, just a good-sized circle of kids that simply adore these books.

The book follows a
Brenda
Sep 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Children ages 7 to 11 who love animal stories
Shelves: fantasy
First in a series of six books by author Betty Birney, The World According to Humphrey is a very cute story told from the perspective of a hamster. I listened to the audiobook version of this with my son. Humphrey begins his story with Mrs. Mack and a classroom of children who love him. When Mrs. Mack picks him up at the pet store she tells him that he “can learn a lot about yourself by taking care of another species and you’ll teach those children a thing or two.” So when a substitute teacher M ...more
Cassidy
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
144 pages
by Betty G. Birney

The World According to Humphrey is the first in the Humphrey series. Humphrey is the classroom hamster in Room 26, Mrs. Brisbane's room, at Longfellow School. He is a very smart hamster! He was brought to school by Mrs. Mac, a substitute for Mrs. Brisbane one day. ms. Mac gave him a tiny notebook and pencil before she left. Throughout the book, Humphrey helps different students in Mrs. Brisbane's class (like Speak-Up-Sayeh) when they take him home for the weekend.

I lov
Michaela C.
Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it
This book I can tell was written for younger ages but I still enjoyed it. I thought it was cute and I liked it! Humphrey is a hamster who is smart and helps people who he cares about. His pet owner (teacher) moves to a different school and leaves him there with a new teacher which Humphrey does not like. He has experiences with the students and a janitor. It was a good book and I would recommend it to younger kids. If you have a younger sibling or a cousin this would be a great book to read to t ...more
Kirstie Patch
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
"....never turn your back on a dog....turn off your tv once in a while....kids have problems and so do teachers and principals. Sometime all people need is a little encouragement." What more could you hope to learn from a hamster? Would be a fun book to read with/to younger children and as it's the first in a series it could help promote an interest in reading. (Also seems likely to promote an interest in getting a pet hamster haha)
Nate
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: obob-2015, 2014
The World According to Humphrey is a heart-warming tale that I only recommend to those who are prepared to seriously consider hamster ownership. Humphrey is the class pet of Room 26, and he is the most intelligent and handsome hamster around. The story begins with Humphrey in crisis; the current teacher in Room 26, who bought Humphrey and took him home every night, was actually a long-term sub for Mrs. Brisbane. Mrs. Brisbane is returning after a prolonged absence, and Ms. Mac (the sub), is now ...more
Kamas Kirian
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this with my daughter, about a few pages a night when I was off from work. This is the third of the Humphrey books we've read, order makes little difference. The nice thing about this one is that we get to see where Humphrey comes from.

My daughter loves these stories and they are well written for her level of reading. She occasionally has questions about individual words, but for the most part this level of vocabulary is well within her grasp. The characters aren't all that developed, onl
Marilyn B
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of this year’s Reading Link books - a Library program my school participates in and that I lead for my students. This was a book that I had heard of from my daughter when she read it last year in Grade 4 and LOVED it. Loving books is not something she tends to do so I had intended on reading it for awhile. It’s a very simple read - on the beginning chapter books end of the scale but I fell in love with Humphrey and his simple understanding of the world. A sweet read.
Camie
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute series about everyone's favorite classroom pet a hamster. Might be a little easy for my 9 year old grandson, but that makes summer reading fun.
4 plus star rating by 2-3rd grade teachers.
Note to self- Cooper Aug choice box set vol 1-3
Kelly K
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, work-reads
Funny and adorable. Perfect for higher-level reading 2nd graders and 3rd/4th graders who are into books told from an animals perspective.
Erin
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great story! It was the perfect choice for our first One School, One Book. There is something quite wonderful about Humphrey - the feedback we received from families was very positive.
Renee
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Adorable book. My 7yo daughter and I really enjoyed reading it together.
C.G.
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a super cute series of children's books. I read this chapter book out loud to my 3rd grade daughter and she loved it. I found myself getting sucked into the story as well!
Maverick M
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved the book. It was really funny with a little Hamster on big adventures.
Dan
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Check out my Booklikes Blog, Dan Grover: Cover to Cover

The Value of a Star: Ratings Explained

This was the one district, one book selection my kids brought home from school to read together this year. I love this program, but usually the books they choose are either totally lame, completely boring, or both. (I'm looking at you, The Sixty-Eight Rooms!)

The World According to Humphrey was neither lame, nor boring! It was a blast to read out loud. My second grader hung on every word and got excited i
Jasmine
Sep 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The name of this book is "The World According to Humphrey." Humphrey is a hamster. There's no illustrator. The author is Betty G. Birney. The time is now. The place that they mostly talk about in the book is the classroom where Humphrey lives. Humphrey is the main character. He is like Ditto except that he has a different pattern on his fur. The teacher is Mrs. Brisbane, who wants to get rid of him. Humphrey is the main character.

For Thanksgiving, he goes to Mrs. Brisbane's house for the weekend
Kelly Rae
Sep 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: juv-fiction
This a cute little story about Humphrey, a young hamster, who is bought by a teacher to help her children learn. Mrs. Mack always says the best way to learn about yourself is to learn about another species.

Humphrey loves Mrs. Mack and staying with her during evenings and weekends with her in her colorful home. He is full of dread when he learns that Mrs. Mack is leaving and is not taking him with him. Humphrey worries as he meets the real teacher who Mrs. Mack had been substituting for and worri
Caleb
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
In The World According to Humphrey a lot of exciting things happened. It all starts with woman named Miss Mack. She was a teacher, and she was walking towards a pet store. She decided to get a hamster, and he was named Humphrey. He had a great time with Miss Mack, and was the class room pet. One day Humphrey was told that Miss Mack had to leave. He was very disappointed with this news. The new teacher did not like Humphrey. He was taken home every weekend by one of the students. As the days wen ...more
H
Jul 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-bluestem
I was dreading reading this Bluestem nominee, but I was pleasantly surprised at the charm of the book. Yes, this story told from the point of view of a classroom hamster is sometimes cloyingly sweet, but the voice of Humphrey reminded me of my favorite fictionsl third grade girl (Clementine) and the story moves fast. I think children in the target for the book (3rd-5th) will really like the little hamster, and the lack of a defined grade will spread the book's appeal (we never find out what grad ...more
Taylor
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Have you ever wanted to know how a hamster see's the world that we live in today? Well in The World According to Humphrey that't just what you get to do! I really enjoyed reading this book because of its funny concept on learning how a hamster views our world and how he even learns how to be like us. In this book you read from the perspective of a hamster that was brought to a classroom by a boy, for the students to learn about the lives of other species. Each weekend Humphrey got to go to one o ...more
Destani Vanardalen
Nov 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book was about a hamster named Humphrey. Humphrey wanted someone to buy him while he lived in a pet shop. Then there was a teacher who bought Humphrey and kept him in her classroom (substite teacher). When the real teacher came back (Mrs. Brisbane) she didn't like Humphrey. So she thought of an idea which was every weekend one kid got to take him home. Mrs. Brisbane started liking Humphrey after a while.
Robert
Feb 10, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
Humphrey the hamster lives in a primary school during the week and with the class teacher at weekends, until the teacher leaves and is replaced by a woman with no time for rodents....Many adventures ensue and the lives of many frequenters of Room 26 are changed for ever!
Funny, fast and fun! Learn what the most intelligent and best educated hamster in America can do when he is kept in a cage with a lock that doesn't lock.
Ashley Fuhr
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Perfect read for elementary students. I read this to a group of 3rd graders who fell in love with Humphrey's wit and will continue to read his other stories. I loved the interaction with many different characters in the class. This really helped my kiddos to relate the issues going on to themselves and those they know.
Sarah Beneke
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jake
What a great book and what a great series!! This is the 2nd Humphrey book that I've read with my kindergartener and we both love them! Humphrey helps the kids and adults to solve problems in their lives and he does it with such common sense and humor! We're looking forward to the 3rd book in the series.
Karen Arendt
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good story about a classroom from the perspective of the class pet, a hamster named Humphrey. Humphrey gets to see into the lives of several of his classmates, and even his teacher Mrs. Brisbane, through weekend visits. Humphrey is a special hamster, though, because he helps those he visits make positive changes in their lives. A fun read aloud.
Jill Manning
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
My 6 year old daughter and I just finished reading this book together and it was a perfect introduction to chapter books. She didn't mind that there were no pictures because the story was so fun for her. She wants to find the next book and keep going. It's been really fun to read together.
  • All Stations! Distress!: April 15, 1912: The Day the Titanic Sank
  • Stick Dog (Stick Dog, #1)
  • Toy Dance Party: Being the Further Adventures of a Bossyboots Stingray, a Courageous Buffalo, and a Hopeful Round Someone Called Plastic  (Toys, #2)
  • Kizzy Ann Stamps
  • 14 Cows for America
  • Niagara Falls, Or Does It? (Hank Zipzer, #1)
  • Roxie and the Hooligans
  • The Year of the Book (Anna Wang #1)
  • Please Write in This Book
  • Dying to Meet You (43 Old Cemetery Road, #1)
  • Being Teddy Roosevelt
  • Into the Firestorm: A Novel of San Francisco, 1906
  • The Flight of the Phoenix (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #1)
  • Oggie Cooder
  • Passage to Freedom: The Sugihara Story
  • Tales of Bunjitsu Bunny (Bunjitsu Bunny #1)
  • Violet Mackerel's Brilliant Plot (Violet Mackerel, #1)
  • The Year of the Dog

From kindergarten through graduation, I attended school in Affton, Missouri, a suburb of St. Louis. Then I graduated from Webster College (now Webster University) in Webster Groves, Missouri. Of course, I majored in English and kept on writing.

After working in advertising in St. Louis, Missouri and in Chicago, Illinois, I eventually moved to Southern California. First, I worked for Disneyland (fun

According to Humphrey (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Friendship According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #2)
  • Trouble According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #3)
  • Surprises According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #4)
  • Adventure According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #5)
  • Summer According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #6)
  • School Days According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #7)
  • Mysteries According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #8)
  • Winter According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #9)
  • Secrets According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #10)
  • Imagination According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey #11)
“You can learn a lot about yourself by getting to know another species. Even humans.” 5 likes
“JERK.” Mom” 0 likes