Start by marking “Co-Active Coaching: New Skills for Coaching People Toward Success in Work and, Life” as Want to Read:

Discover what's new in this classic work that helped define the field of coaching.

With the first edition of Co-Active Coaching, Laura Whitworth and her pioneering co-authors set the stage for what has become a cultural and business phenomenon, and helped launch the professional practice of coaching. Their flexible Co-Active Coaching model has stood the test of time

Published January 10th 2007 by Nicholas Brealey Publishing (first published December 25th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Co-Active Coaching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Co-Active Coaching

Colleen Wainwright
This book thoroughly explains a kind of coaching that uses collaboration between coach and client to activate the client's natural creativity and abilities towards solving the client's problems.

While I've never been coached by someone formally trained (by ICF) in this style of coaching, I have been coached in the collaborative style, and found it challenging, invigorating, and highly engaging—qualities that are completely leached out in the dissection and description of it, save a few spots her
Kat Robey
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Solid skill based book for coaches and listening professionals—AND would be great skill builder for people who manage, parent, listen for, support, and bring out the best in others (from the best in self/listener)—in any sort of relationship; work, family, friendship.
Loy Machedo
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loy Machedo’s Book Review – Co-Active Coaching by Laura Whitworth, Phillip Sandahl, Karen & Henry Kimsey-House

Now before I dwell into the book review of Co-Active Coaching, let me confess something - I am a student of Co-Active Coaching.

I have spent around a year taking courses and attending the workshop related to Co-Active Coaching and yes, I have met a few training colleagues who are into this field and discipline.

But be warned – though I am a student, does not mean I am going to speak
Teresa Raetz
Dec 31, 2011 rated it liked it
A nice overview of the coaching process with some very helpful examples of dialog and documents/exercises/etc. to use. My main criticism is the fundamental assumption the authors make that every participant in coaching is willing to do the right thing or is an ethical person. They are a bit optimistic about the breadth of experience within human nature, in my opinion, so they don't include any information or discussion of how to screen the people you work with for fit, how to determine what your ...more
Zcat
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Co-Active Coaching describes a type of relationship where the coach facilitates the client’s exploration, insight, and path forward. The coach is responsible for complete focus on the client and dedication to challenging the client to go where they want and need to go, but the direction is completely up to the client.
The book introduces this relationship, then charts the path through forming the relationship, setting the stage by holding space and listening deeply with curiosity. It addresses w
Marko
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book lays out the Co-Active coaching model clearly and concisely. I found it to be a great framework for approaching coaching conversations. The book provides both dispositions and concrete actions that a coach can take.

Part 1 explains the fundamentals of the Co-Active coaching model approach.
Part 2 dives deeper into the contexts: listening, intuition, curiosity, forward and deepen, and self-management.
Part 3 explores the three principles and practices: fulfillment, balance, and process.
Dennis Podryadchikov
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coaching
In every way, this book is an excellent guide for coaches. Based on its depth, this guide is for more experienced coaches, though beginners will find many helpful tools and a great deal of advice. The toolbox at the end is like a treasure chest for coaching. There are prepared questions for initial clients, a list of powerful questions, and many other helpful tools.
Christie Adams
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really good resource for coaches. Clear instruction and guidance as well as sample conversations.
The resources that come free with the book are brilliant, and coaches are even allowed to rebrand resources for their own use - Excellent!
The only thing missing is how to tackle the closer of an unsuccessful or unsuitable client relationship, this would be a handy addition to a future edition.
Ken Howard
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading for certification training

I am readying this book as a part of the process of certification by the International Coaching Federation. I found it to be well written and useful.
Jefim Piekarz
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lives Up To It’s Reputation

Read this as I heard it was “the Bible”of Coaching. It was just that. Great examples, lots of deep and relevant info. Recommended for anyone interested in the topic.
Mark Leenen
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I needed the last chapter of the book to get it back to 4 stars (from 3). The second part of the book felt like a lengthy read. Dry text, but too “fluffy” at the same time. The final, third part of the book was a pleasant read, which I experienced as the most valuable part of the book.
Carlos Xavier
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like it at first but it gives invaluable points for this job. It's just not too entertaining but it delivers a lot of knowledge.
Bobbie Dillon
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Good basic coaching book. Nice tools for use in practice.
Melissa
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great information and enjoyable to read

Easy to read and very helpful when starting out as a coach. Really enjoyed the overall perspective. Would definitely recommend.
Kristine
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the Bible on Executive Coaching so if there is only one book you read - this is it!
Bryan Baker
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential read for anyone interested in coaching,

This has to be one of the central books for everything that has to do with coaching, what it's all about, and how to think through the practical tools of coaching!
Dennis Podryadchikov
The book 19s popularity speaks about its usefulness as a textbook in coaching. Kimsey-House et al emphasize the active part in coaching, where both coach and client are together actively looking for coaching solutions. The authors explain the basics of coaching with special focus on finding fulfillment. Both students and professionals of coaching will benefit from having this book in their library.
David Wu
Apr 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Co-active coaching demonstrates coaching as a relationship where the client has the power and is fully involved in the coaching process. Great use of examples of dialogue and the appendixes are priceless in the back of the book for exercises and questions. I felt there was too much filler and more clear principles and better description of processes would have helped.
Charity
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
I read it with mentoring in mind and found the area of "life coaching" is an odd thing: it's both counseling (non-directional and optimistic) and noncounseling (not about pyschological)--
The sample dialogues, which should have been helpful, really didn't reflect real dialogues. ( I thought the book would never end.)
Carole Staveley
This is a fantastic book for anyone looking to become a life or business coach. It really helps you understand the fact that coaching is about helping the client achieve his/her full potential by simply unlocking the capabilities that they already possess. It is definitely an art that requires practice, but the book provides many helpful tools to implement the co-active coaching approach.
Jeffrey
Jun 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is good as a review for those already coaching but essential for newbies. It's written well and is very useful in that it contains a CD with forms, exercises, and procedures for applying co-active coaching. (All the aforementioned is also printed out in the back of the book.)
Kirby Ingles
Wasn't my favorite

Seemed to be a repeat of coaching literature and communication literature I read in college. Wasn't anything more than a regurgitation of life coaching academic studies. Good summary. Would be useful CLEP due to its shortness and easy reading.
Linda Stokes
Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great book! This was one of the required reading books in my Coaching Certification Course. I refer back to it over and over - it's a great resource with a clear picture of what coaching is all about and lots of practical ideas and practices to enhance your coaching work.
Alex Devero
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work
Co-active coaching is about establishing a collaborative relationship with your clients to effectively empower them to find their own answers; your task is also to encourage and support your clients as they make choices to become more in-tune with their personal values.
Daryl Watts
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Had to read this as a work related assignment. I learned some good principles, but it doesn't play to me personal giftedness.
Jonathan Cliff
Mar 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
Currently required reading for my Spiritual Life Coaching training.
Chris
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent book for coaches with some useful resources.
Hope
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Its a complete package for coaching journey from CTI
Donloree Hoffman
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing resources for coaches. A must read!
Kimberly Burnham
Apr 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The information for health coaching is awesome in this book which also has a cd with audio and pdf files with lots of information
  • The Portable Coach: 28 Sure Fire Strategies for Business and Personal Success
  • Coaching Questions: A Coach's Guide to Powerful Asking Skills
  • Coaching: Evoking Excellence in Others
  • Coaching with NLP: How to be a Master Coach
  • The Life Coaching Handbook: Everything You Need to Be an Effective Life Coach
  • Coaching for Performance: GROWing Human Potential and Purpose - the Principles and Practice of Coaching and Leadership (People Skills for Professionals)
  • Becoming a Professional Life Coach: Lessons from the Institute of Life Coach Training
  • The Heart of Coaching: Using Transformational Coaching to Create a High- Performance Culture
  • Co-Active Coaching: Changing Business, Transforming Lives
  • Immunity to Change: How to Overcome It and Unlock Potential in Yourself and Your Organization
  • Coaching with the Brain in Mind: Foundations for Practice
  • Executive Coaching with Backbone and Heart: A Systems Approach to Engaging Leaders with Their Challenges
  • Taming Your Gremlin
  • Changing for Good: A Revolutionary Six-Stage Program for Overcoming Bad Habits and Moving Your Life Positively Forward
  • The Tao of Coaching: Boost Your Effectiveness at Work by Inspiring and Developing Those Around You
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • Taming Your Gremlin: A Surprisingly Simple Method for Getting Out of Your Own Way
  • Sensemaking in Organizations
“journey.” 3 likes
“Fear of failing is the number one killer of grand plans and good ideas. More than a lack of knowledge or skill, more than the lack of a clear strategy or action plan, the biggest obstacle in the way of progress for clients is the paralysis caused by the fear of failing.” 0 likes