Start by marking “Thank You for the Days: A Boy's Own Adventures in Radio and Beyond” as Want to Read:
Thank You for the Days: A Boy's Own Adventures in Radio and Beyond

Thank You for the Days: A Boy's Own Adventures in Radio and Beyond

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  453 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Approaching 50, Mark Radcliffe decided to write about his life and his love of music. But crucially, he only wanted to write about the most interesting days and not the dull ones in between. From "The Day My Mother Hit Me With a Golf Club" to "The Day I Met the Band Who Changed My Life," he charts the peaks and troughs of his life and career with wit, panache, and insight. ...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Simon & Schuster UK (first published April 6th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Thank You for the Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thank You for the Days

Nigeyb
Jun 23, 2013 rated it liked it
On the cover David Bowie states "Steal this book". Reason enough to read it. I also recently read and enjoyed Reelin' in the Years: The Soundtrack of a Northern Life another autobiographical book by Mark Radcliffe.

Mark Radcliffe is one of the good guys - a man who is passionate about music, down to earth, humorous and someone I would love to meet. This book is as predictably enjoyable as I knew it would be. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as Reelin' in the Years: The Soundtrack of a Northern Li
Rachel Stevenson
I've been fond of Mark Radcliffe since he presented Out on Blue Six on Radio 1 back in the early '90s, but I'm not sure that he's a writer. Or rather, I had to hear his voice in my head, like a particularly morose schizophrenic, as I read the book because without his sardonic Boltonian wit, it all became a bit too Partridge-esque. Maybe I should have got the audiobook.

It didn't help that the first chapter was about Dr Feelgood, a band whom grizzled old men who should know better get teary about,
Alex
Jul 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Mark Radcliffe fans only
At the top of the cover of this book it bears the legend "'Steal This Book !' - David Bowie". Good advice from the Dame there because you certainly wouldn't want to buy it.

The problem with this book for me was twofold; a) it wasn't about Mark Radcliffe's radio experiences as such, more like tales of his schooldays and situations he found himself in as a result of being a broadcaster, and b) listening to Mark waffle on during his radio shows is quite entertaining, but when it comes to reading him
Mira
Dec 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having enjoyed Mark Radcliffe's Mark & Lard shows on Radio One and his book Showbusiness: Diary of a Rock 'n' Roll Nobody I knew this would be a good read.

Check out my YouTube review here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxvYF9...

Edmole
Feb 07, 2012 rated it liked it
An easy read by a lovely man about a good life lived happily and well.
Godzilla
I left bewildered by some of these other reviews:
"It's not as good as Pies and Prejudice" - er, well it's a memoir, not a cultural dissection/travelogue, so it's a different genre entirely!

I had found Mark Radcliffe slightly aloof before reading this book. Clearly now, this is in comparison to the other gushing DJs/media whores who populate our airwaves. He's still not got the warmth and fuzziness of John Peel, but then he was a one off.

There are some great tales, some genuine insights and a war
Rob
Jul 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the literary equivalent of a friendly chat in the pub with the genial DJ, Mark Radcliffe. It aspires to be little more than a series of personal anecdotes that roughly, and in no specific order, chart his career through various radio stations. Themed loosely around the idea of key days in his life (e.g. the day I went to Kate Bush's house for cheese flan; the day I ruined a perfectly good suit) the stories he tells are generally entertaining, though as often as not a springboard for good ...more
Emma Cook
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starting the year with lovely easy to read commutable books, nothing too dreary to a dreary start to 2017. Picked this one up from the book swap shelf at work. It is what it is, really; a few jovial stories of fun and laughable memories of Mark Radcliffe's life. Easy to read en route to work. Worth a look-in.
Vicky
Sep 01, 2011 rated it liked it
I would actually give this a three and a half if I could. It's a lovely collection of anecdotes about Mark Radcliffe's life both on and off air. He's a warm and interesting chap and I enjoyed the book a great deal. A thoroughly nice guy, an honest account and an interesting read.

The anecdotes are not earth-shattering or sensational, but they are written in an amusing and entertaining way and portray Radcliffe as a pretty down-to-earth guy. I like an autobiography that makes you feel like you co
Derek Bridge
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've always enjoyed what Mark Radcliffe does ("talk in between records"), even if he does say um-err too much. I particularly liked the recent evening shows with Stuart Maconie and remain annoyed that they have been moved to an afternoon slot (although if it means less Noddy Holder it can only be a blessing). But I was even a fan of Mark's breakfast show, with Lard, and based my own game (Mad Or Sad) on theirs (Dobbins or Bobbins) - mine was much crueller.

So what am I saying?

I'm saying that Mar
DJ Yossarian
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music, pop-culture
This made a great, random, late summer read -- humorous, not terribly demanding, peppered with anecdotes about meeting the likes of Kate Bush, Shane MacGowan, George Harrison, and working with the legendary and greatly missed John Peel. Not all of it hits the mark, but it's an entertaining read. Favorite bit: his comment that "The Beatles" was actually a pretty lame name for a group that had had such a profound influence on popular music, and that the Fab Four, rather than Genesis P Orridge & ...more
Graham Hughes
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable, often hilarious collection of anecdotes from the life and career of one of Britain's better music presenters over the last 20 years or so.
In his writing, as well as his broadcasting, Radcliffe sometimes rambles a little (though at least we're spared the 'erm, er, ...' interjections in print); he also occasionally lapses into cliche. Altogether, though, he comes across as warm, likeable, funny and refreshingly ego-free, and his tales are well worth reading.
Tresor
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was hooked from the first few sentences when I read about Mark's love affair with Dr Feelgood - takes me back to my teenage years when I saw Dr Feelgood (a few times) at Cheltenham Town Hall. I guess it's because he's one of my contemporaries that I enjoy this book and his radio show so much, along with the fact that we seem to share a pretty similar musical taste. The book is like the radio show - warm and funny. What more could anyone want?
Neil
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a longtime fan of Radcliffe, this book was an utter delight, just like having the man himself sitting next to you telling you stories. Particularly love the Mark and Lard as goth undertakers meeting Tony Blair story!
Kendra Levine
Jul 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book isn't great, but it's certainly entertaining. Radcliffe really conveys his affection for the "days" in the book and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. If you like British music from Dr. Feelgood to now, and if you liked Mark and Lard, then you will probably like this book.
Tracey Sinclair
Enjoyable and light collection of loosely strung together reminiscences by DJ Mark Radcliffe which came across pretty much exactly as he does on the radio: sometimes very funny, a bit blokey, occasionally a bit grumpy, generally very likeable.
David O'Neill
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious
Devronius
Thoroughly pleasant, often very funny and fluffy memoir.
Vivienne Walker
Enjoyable light read, although the chapter on the day he got his first guitar had me blubbing.
Neil
Oct 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Although no Danny Baker MR has written a warm, witty & thoroughly enjoyable tale of his ups & downs in public service broadcasting.
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read if you're a fan of Mark Radcliffe's work. Very enjoyable.
Margaret
Readable, but didn't excite my enthusiasm in any way.

A somewhat pedestrian read.
Bethnoir
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An uplifting and entertaining book which manages to convey emotional events without being mawkish. I enjoyed it very much.
Linda Jameson
Jun 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Enjoyable and light collection of anecdotes from Radcliffe's life and radio career. Can't read it without hearing his voice!
Kahn
A simply wonderful collection of tales from Mark's life, both on and off the radio. Heart-warming, at times thought provoking, but always laugh-out-loud funny. Superb.
Elaine
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than expected! Interesting stories esp when you have heard Mark on the radio lots when I lived in England.

John
Jun 28, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this was to much like a copy of Stuart Maconie. However nowhere near as good as Pies and Predjuduce
Jonathan Sly
I was expecting more than what I got from this. By their very nature memoirs are going to be self indulgent but I was hoping for a bit more wit. Disappointing.
James
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Face wettingly funny, actually brought tears to my eyes I was laughing that much!
Tom Bevan
Feb 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As witty and warm as he comes across on air- very enjoybale, easy reading for pre- bedtime. What a great life he has had as a DJ...
  • Cider With Roadies
  • Different for Girls: A Girl's Own True-life Adventures in Pop
  • The Olivetti Chronicles
  • Lost in Music
  • 45
  • Bedsit Disco Queen: How I Grew Up and Tried to Be a Pop Star
  • The Haçienda: How Not to Run a Club
  • The North (And Almost Everything In It)
  • Telling Stories