Start by marking “Mirror Image (Daniel Rinaldi #1)” as Want to Read:
Mirror Image (Daniel Rinaldi #1)

Mirror Image

(Daniel Rinaldi #1)

Mirror Image, a complex, erotic novel of suspense, is the first in a series of mysteries featuring Dr. Daniel Rinaldi, a psychologist who consults with the Pittsburgh Police. His specialty is treating victims of violent crime―those who’ve survived an armed robbery or kidnapping, but whose traumatic experience still haunts them. Kevin Merrick, a college student and victim o ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Mirror Image, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mirror Image

Start your review of Mirror Image (Daniel Rinaldi #1)
Wiseask
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dennis Palumbo, the author of Mirror Image, is both a former screenwriter, and like his fictional hero Daniel Rinaldi, is also a bearded clinical psychologist who understands human behavior. He has skillfully created both a complex mystery and a fast-paced thriller filled with surprises and a totally unexpected penultimate twist.

I highlighted so many noteworthy and memorable lines and passages that rather than repeat them all here, just do yourself a favor and read the book.

Of course, no clinica
Cheryl
Jun 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hot-shot police consultant and renowned psychologist Dr. Daniel Rinaldi is in the spotlight once again, this time the good doctor is a the center of a murder investigation involving his patient --- the mysterious Kevin Merrick.

Minutes following their last session, Rinaldi enters the office garage and finds an assaulted and dying Kevin lying beside his car. Rinaldi’s initial assumption is that Kevin was a random victim, until he realizes that Kevin has switched the doctor’s jacket for his own.
Tgordon
Aug 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This was just ok for me. I haven’t given a 2 star in a while because I’m very picky with what I read but this comes close. This to me was very confusing and disjointed at times. I liked the description but should have went with my gut and skipped. Oh well we live and learn. Dr has patient that mimics him and is killed in the parking lot of his office. So is it meant for the dr or is the patients past catching up with him? This has unnecessary graphic parts? I’m not by any means a prude all you h ...more
Tom Tischler
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This writer is from my hometown and I saw a review in the local paper. I had never heard
of him and the review was pretty good so I got his first book in the Daniel Renaldi series.
This book is about a murder in the local neighborhood and it's the first time I ever read a
story where I recognized all of the names of streets and buildings. I enjoyed this and for a
first book I liked this also. I think that he has 4 or 5 more books in this series so I guess
that there will be more reviews. I gave it a
St Fu
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I wanted to give it 2 stars but I started reading the author's Writing from the Inside Out: Transforming Your Psychological Blocks to Release the Writer Within which I like so far so it made me feel kindly toward him. But it's pretty formulaic, the only wrinkle being the hero is a shrink. In fact, that's why I read it. I almost abandoned it several times. The author is a screen writer turned shrink who studied with some therapists I admire. He seems to share some of their philosophy but not as m ...more
Lois
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An upbeat setting, convincing characters, and a plot that has one on the edge of one’s seat from page one—what more could a reader ask for in a crime novel? Once more, established mystery writer Dennis Palumbo has pulled off a fine fast-paced whodunnit that has one yearning for more. Set in Pittsburgh, with the backdrop of the “old Appalachian Hills, sloping away before spreading urban tendrils, looking as pristine and timeless as when the first settlers came over four hundred years ago,” the no ...more
Joyce  Adams
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Dale Rosenberg
Jun 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Mildly diverting murder mystery. Way too predictable and, although the main character is kind of interesting, a lot of the others were cardboard cutouts. Plus, you know that annoying thing where the author can't figure out a way to let the reader know what a villain did, so s/he has the villain brag about it to his/her potential victim before killing the victim, and the victim uses that time to escape and/or overpower the villain? This novel does it three different times with three villains.

This
Judith Sentyz
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New Author

Mr. Palumbo, this is the first book I have read of yours. I am sure it won't be the last. It was very interesting and actually only took me a short time to read. I really enjoyed it. Characters are very believable. I like the connection between the psychologist and police. Nice touch.
Donna Engler
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suspense and surprises

Cleverly written with great characters and a fascinating story line. The only thing i would have preferred less of was the foul language. There was one twist and turn after another. Every time I thought I had the whole thing figured out, he threw in another shocker. This is a real page turner.
Robert C. smith
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beyond the Norm Entertainment!

"Creative beyond traditional" might be a good description of Palumbo's writing style that readers will find extremely entertaining and riveting. Full of entertaining, complex but easy-to-follow plot with unpredictable twists and turns, this is a "must read" for most reader's.
Monty
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Creative

Dennis Palumbo has written an excellent mystery/thriller. He is very creative and shows us very complex charachters, Daniel Rinaldi, therapist, being the main one. Everything revolves around him and his patients. It's a fast paced page turner that you will not want to put down.
Randy
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!

My first time reading Dennis Palumbo was an exercise in restraint. I kept wanting to jump forward to find out the end. This meant reading nonstop , except for a nights sleep, then back at it until the final chapter. What a ride! And... I didn't see that ending coming. I loved every agonizing chapter!
J R
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Saw an interview on Between the Lines with Dennis Palumbo, so I decided to read his first novel, Mirror Image. Wasn’t disappointed by this book. Characters were great and the writing was even better. Have his most recent novel, Head Wounds in my cue to read.

Good read indeed
thomas blake ingram
Terrible

Couldn’t get past the first paragraph. A 12-year-old girl forces her 8-year-old brother down between her legs to eat her. An 8-year-old boy who had already been “very good” at jacking off? Oh my word. Silliness is the best I can say about this. Learn to write.
Mary Rowe
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twisty Mystery/Murder Family Secrets....

Never a clue where this one was going; twists and turns throughout, and almost all the threads wrapped up by the end.

A rare four stars from me, especially for an author I’ve never heard of before. Bravo!
S.W. Hubbard
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked the main character, but this novel had enough plot for two books! So many murders, suicides, attacks! This is a common first book mistake, so I plan to read more in this series to see how the psychiatrist/sleuth evolves. Plus, the series is set in Pittsburgh, city of my childhood!
Bonny Millard
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought Provoking Ideology

Psychologist Daniel Rinaldi is a human being first, psychologist second. His dilemma in this story of murders is justice vs. Compassion.
Maryanne Garon
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery. . .quick read.
Sue Miller
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gtripping

Really enjoyed this book. Keeps you guessing. It is difficult to guess the bad guys. I will look for more of these.
Linda Mclaughlin
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Enjoyed the Pittsburgh setting as I have visited there frequently. Enjoyed the book though I didn’t find it very Plausible
Donna George
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved the Pittsburgh setting
Anne
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. It had so many twists and turns. I loved it. Can't wait for the next book.
Marie-Jo Fortis
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
A troubled youth in want of a new image dresses like his psychiatrist, narrator Dr. Daniel Rinaldi, and ends up being killed. At first it is believed that the murder target is Rinaldi himself, that this is a case of mistaken identity. Determined to find out who is responsible for this and who may want to do away with him next, Rinaldi decides to investigate and help the Pittsburgh police.
Things get troubled and muddled soon. There are clues, sure, but many of them are false. There are charact
stormhawk
Sometimes stories sneak up on you and surprise you, which is the case for Mirror Image. I'm going to be honest, I didn't expect much. A psychologist's patient gets killed following a session. The why of that event forms the core of the mystery that flows like Pittsburgh's three rivers ... sometimes fast, sometimes slow, sometimes clear, often murky.

One thing I'm sure about, I wouldn't want to be one of Dr. Rinaldi's friends or patients ... too prone to nasty accidents.

I have experience in the me
May 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense, thriller
From My Blog:[return][return]High-powered attorneys, affairs, CEOs, buy-outs, mentally unstable patients, and murder are just a few glimpses into Mirror Image by Dennis Palumbo. Daniel Rinaldi, a clinical psychologist, has been in private practice since leaving Ten Oaks and is also a consultant for the Pittsburg Police Department. His friend and the Community Liaison Officer sends patients his way who have been victims of violent crimes as these types of victims are Rinaldi's specialty, and this ...more
Lit Fest Magazine
Nov 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Author Dennis Palumbo combines his experience as a psycho-therapist and his phenomenal literary skill  to develop one of the best psychological thrillers I’ve experienced in some time. “Mirror Image” is a combination of intensity, complex characters and an intricate puzzle, weaved perfectly allowing the reader to get lost in an elaborate world of sex, murder and mystery.

“Mirror Image” is the first Daniel Rinaldi Mystery, a story surrounding Psychologist Daniel Rinaldi and his patient Kevin Merri
Janice
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Dr. Daniel Rinaldi is a clinical psychologist and a consultant for the Pittsburgh Police. The book starts with him in a counseling session with Kevin Merrick, who was a victim sexual abuse as a child. Rinaldi notices that Kevin is dressing more and more like him but decides to focus on Kevin's other more pressing issues. Little did he know that by the end of the night, Kevin would be murdered and die in Rinaldi's arms outside his office.

The police think that Rinaldi was the victim and give him
Catherine Lee
May 19, 2013 rated it liked it
This was an interesting book. Great set-up — A troubled young man who has begun imitating his therapist is murdered, and the immediate suspicion is that the therapist was the intended target. From there, the author takes us on a rollercoaster of a journey from plot to sub-plot, red herring to plot twist. It was a tad difficult to keep up at times, but the initial question of who killed the young man and why kept me reading into the night.
I am a new fan of the main character, psychologist and pol
Craig Sisterson
Apr 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers, crime
Dr Dan Rinaldi is a clinical psychologist and consultant to the Pittsburgh PD, specialising in treating victims of violent crime – survivors of robbery, kidnapping, or worse. After six months, he’s finally made something of a breakthrough with Kevin Merrick, a drug abusing and self-harming college student who seemingly at last has started to open up about his traumatic past. However, recently Kevin had started to worryingly mirror Rinaldi in dress and manner, struggling to find his own sense of ...more

• Kill Game: A Cold Poker Gang Mystery
  • The Stone of Sadness (Olivia Miller Mystery #3)
  • The Butterfly Forest (Sean O'Brien, #3)
  • Romeo's Rules (Mike Romeo, #1)
  • Blood Oath (John Jordan Mystery #11)
  • The Zodiac Killer (Zodiac Killers #1)
  • Killing Katie (Affair with Murder, #1)
  • Murder Upstream: A Detective Mystery (Harding Boys Book 1)
  • A Man Walks Into A Hardware Store
  • Chopped (Diana Hunter #4)
  • Azrael
  • Murder On Magazine (Skip Langdon #10)
  • Searching for Faith (Carissa Jones #1)
  • The Poisoned Rock (Sullivan and Broderick Murder Investigations #2)
  • Before Sunrise
  • The Dying Hour (Jason Wade, #1)
  • Sorrowful Road (Allan Stanton, #3)
  • Sanctuary (Kate Redman Mysteries, #8)
Formerly a Hollywood screenwriter (My Favorite Year, Welcome Back, Kotter, etc.), Dennis Palumbo is now a licensed psychotherapist and author

His mystery fiction has appeared in Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine, The Strand, and elsewhere, and is collected in From Crime to Crime.

His acclaimed series of crime novels (Mirror Image, Fever Dream, Night Terrors, Phantom Limb, and Head Wounds) feature psyc

Daniel Rinaldi (5 books)
  • Fever Dream (Daniel Rinaldi #2)
  • Night Terrors (Daniel Rinaldi #3)
  • Phantom Limb (Daniel Rinaldi #4)
  • Head Wounds (Daniel Rinaldi #5)

News & Interviews