Start by marking “Little Town on the Prairie (Little House, #7)” as Want to Read:
Little Town on the Prairie  (Little House, #7)

Little Town on the Prairie

(Little House #7)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  76,406 ratings  ·  1,041 reviews
The long winter is finally over, and with spring comes a new job for Laura, town parties, and more time to spend with Almanzo Wilder. Laura also tries to help Pa and Ma save money for Mary to go to college.
Published January 1st 2007 by HarperTrophy (first published 1941)

To ask other readers questions about Little Town on the Prairie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Town on the Prairie

·  76,406 ratings  ·  1,041 reviews

Diane
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
About two years ago I started rereading the Little House books. It started as a whim after visiting Minnesota and driving by one of the places where Laura Ingalls used to live. I had read these books with my mother when I was a child, and I grew up with the popular TV show based on the series, so there was a hefty dose of nostalgia whenever I reread one of the books.

Now that nostalgia has become even more powerful, because book seven, Little Town on the Prairie, was the first one that I read alo
Miranda Reads
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
How would you like to work in town, Laura?

When Mary lost her sight, she lost all hope of continuing her education. A kindly reverend tells the Ingalls family of a college for the blind. It goes without question that Mary will attend the seven years of school.

Now, the Ingalls family desperately needs money to cover school costs for Mary. Laura takes up work in town - sewing buttons of all things. While she hates it, she wants Mary to go to college far mor. The Ingalls family's crops are set upo
Elizabeth

I kind of don’t know how to deal with the casual racism in these books. The minstrel show in the chapter “The Madcap Days” appals me as an adult. As a child, living in Jamaica, sharing homes with Jamaican families and running in a pack with Jamaican kids, I actually didn’t know what the “darkies” of this chapter were supposed to be. Clearly they were men making music and singing, their faces disguised with black polish. I neither knew nor would have understood what they were supposed to be. They
Tatiana
Aug 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, ya, newbery, 2016
Most problematic of the bunch so far.

Minstrel show? Lunatic fringe? Half-wit? 23-year old Almanzo slithering around 15-year old Laura?

And why is Ma so keen on Laura becoming a teacher? It seems to be a one-year-of-teaching-and-then-get-married sort of enterprise. Why even bother?
Philip
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eleanor and Gwennie are both here, but before we begin, I want to tell MY favorite part... and I have to write it quietly because it's not quite appropriate.

Laura had just started working in town, when she saw these two men get kicked out of a bar. They were sloshed, and singing an old church hymn. They went through the town punching holes in the screens of local businesses, and Laura thought this was funny.

Laura got in trouble when she got home for thinking this was funny, but the last line of
Michelle
Nov 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I flew through this one, maybe because I was so happy not to be stuck in a blizzard anymore, freezing and starving. Things are really looking up for the Ingalls family--they get a kitten, Mary finally goes off to college, there are parties in town, and by the end of the book, Laura gets her teaching certificate. The most extravagant thing is when Pa allows Laura to buy name cards (they're the latest thing and cost 25 cents!). I actually squealed, "Oh, Pa! Letting Laura buy name cards!", elicitin ...more
E.F.B.
Once again, a super sweet read. I found myself feeling so proud of Mary finally going to the college for the blind, and so proud of Laura getting her teacher's certificate. And Almanzo. <3 Of course I also continued loving the historical context of the story.

Only two more books to go, I think? I'm looking forward to them. :)

Content Advisory
Mention of strangers swearing, and also mention of the husband in a family Laura works for swearing while he and his wife constantly argue.

Laura witnesse
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Laina
I squeezed one more book into 2012! The characters are the same as in all the books, of course--Pa is the greatest and a hero among men, Ma is uptight and kind of racist, Laura is rebellious but good at heart. Everything is described in such loving detail. I do feel like I should have reread The Long Winter before this one because the relative plenty in LTotP is in such contrast to those poor people starving around the stove.

Notes of note:

- I liked the conversation when Mary admitted that she w
Kricket
oh, this one is so good. the ingalls family is no longer starving/freezing, so things are starting to look up for them.
highlights:
-they get a cat!!
-mary goes away to college in an extremely pretty dress
-almanzo wilder starts sniffing around
-they have enough to eat
-it does not snow inside the house
-they get chickens

low points:
-miss wilder being a real jerk. although, as evidenced by laura's own teaching certificate, teachers were only tested on knowledge and not classroom-management skills.
-pa p
Catherine ♡
I feel like my favorites in this series were Little House on the Prairie and Farmer Boy. I liked the others, but they simply couldn't match up to those two.
Bethany
I tend to forget how much I love these books (and especially this one) until I re-read them for about the 60th time!! Now it's even nicer because I'm able to read them for the first time to my little sister who is loving them just as much as I did!
Nova
Oct 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood
I loved the sense of re-birth. After reading The Long Winter, it felt great to be warm and light-hearted again.
Jane Greensmith
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always a comfortable treat to read--one of my favorites in the series.
Jaime
When I was younger, I distinctly remember not enjoying the later books in this series as well because Laura grew up and the events weren't as exciting. But now, as I re-read it, I eagerly keep reading and lavish over the events of her young adult years. I love these books, every single one, every age, aspect, and adventure of Laura's life. It's just so exciting.

Plus I embarrass myself by my reaction to Almanzo's appearances. What a dreamboat! :)
Celeste
This installment was much more fun than the last. There were no crazy blizzards that resulted in near starvation and a level of cold that sinks into your bones and seems like it will stay there forever. In this book we see the Ingalls family experiencing more prosperity than ever before in the series. While their preparations for winter are much more thorough, they find themselves enjoying a mild winter almost completely free of the blizzards that plagued them the year before. The family has ple ...more
Carol
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A random string of thoughts I had while reading:
Why put the kitten on the cover if she's barely featured?
Remember when Laura slapped Mary across the face, why hasn't she slapped Nellie Olsen?
Hmm, this minstrel show is really solidifying that this will be the end of this series for me.
Hemavathy DM Suppiah
I wanted to like it, I really did. But reading as an adult is very different to reading as a child. The innocence is stripped away, and we now read with the benefit of experience and education.

Unlike many children's classics it has not aged well. It works well enough for the junior reader, but even young children these days know better than to call Native Americans 'red savages' and that for Ma to 'hate Indians' is hypocritical when they've claimed Indian land as their own, and when it was an I
Gale
"A Town and a Young Girl Grow up”

Continuing the autobiographical sharing of her life in pioneer times Laura brings her loyal readers (mostly of the female persuasion) to the year after THE LONG and very hard WINTER. Her life as a town girl includes miserable hours in the school house run by Miss Eliza Jane Wilder--an inept and unfair teacher. Laura’s social nemesis from prior stories, darling Nellie Olson, shows up again to torment her in non-academic ways. Navigating social mores and coed activ
Michaila
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Love this book just as much as always. Good ol' American heart, ethics, and Christianity <3 So fascinating to see what we were like 100+ years ago.
Book Concierge
Digital audiobook performed by Cherry Jones

Book seven in the popular classic Little House series, has Laura growing into a young lady. She feels that the new teacher, Miss Wilder, is unfairly picking on her and her sister. Nellie Oleson seems to be thwarting Laura at every turn. Mary has left to go to a college for the blind, and Laura takes on a part time job to help pay the expenses. The town is growing and with growth come new opportunities for socializing. Laura passes her examination to be
Beth
So. There is a minstrel show. Wow. That went completely over my head as a kid.

I do like this book. I'm glad Laura finally has friends! And oh dear, Nellie Oleson. This is almost a relief after The Long Winter. But it's not as good as The Long Winter. It's almost confused about how old Laura should be: young enough to go to school, old enough to teach, young enough to rock that desk, old enough to have Almanzo "see her home" -

They did grow up earlier then, I suppose, and maybe that's a piece of
Audrey
I went back and forth between the audio and the physical book to finish before the New Year’s deadline.

The book covers about a year and a half, Laura being 14 to 15 1/2. There were a lot of things I could relate to:

Carrie complaining about her hair getting caught in the buttons on the back of her dress — That happened to me when I was little, and I’d completely forgotten about it.
The birds eating the crops — They always pick clean my fruit trees, and that makes me so mad.
Laura being in awkwar
Luann
Why, why, why did I never read this when I was younger? Well, I missed out! But I'm VERY happy to have read this now. I was enthralled with the classroom drama that happened while Miss Wilder (Almanzo's sister) was teaching school. I sure sympathized with her! Although she brought a lot of her troubles upon herself with her "we will all be happy and friends all the time" style of classroom management.

This is just a wonderful continuation of the story told in The Long Winter. And even though it i
Trish at Between My Lines
I didn’t love this book quite as much as I’m enjoying my other rereads in the series. I feel a bit frustrated by hard Laura feels she has to study. Even on the 4th of July, she skips the celebrations to stay home with her nose to the grindstone. I admire her determination, but can’t see why she can’t even have that one day off.

It’s fun to see her mature and start walking out with Manly though. As with all the other books, the pleasure for me is the simple everyday life descriptions of life in a
Margaret
I have read this perhaps for the third time in my life. I needed to read a book in a series and of course it seemed that a Laura Ingalls Wilder book would be perfect. Having not read one in hmm, almost 30 years I wasn't sure if it would be as wonderful as I remembered. It was! In fact it was one of the most enjoyable reading that I have had for a long time. I now want to continue on and see what happens with Laura now being certified as a teacher. Her books will always be a favorite of mine and ...more
Kelly
Jul 31, 2016 added it
Shelves: read-in-2016
So "The Long Winter" is about 7 months that were very long.

"Little Town on the Prairie" is about 3 years, most of the winters unworthy of mention.

But at the end, Laura is now a teacher and is being courted by Almanzo (even tough she's clueless about that being the case). Also, Mary's at college and hasn't been home in a few Christmases.

The school scenes are excruciatingly boring. No wonder Laura hated going so much. And yet.
Maria Elmvang
This is one of my favourite LIW books. I'm fascinated by the descriptions of life in town. Two things that struck me in particular were a) how modestly they lived and b) how quickly they had to grow up. Just think of Laura, going off to teach at age 15. I was no where near mature enough for that at that age. And they all seemed so selfless too - always passing on things to each other, because they didn't need them themselves, and thought the other person would like them more.
Lynn
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love love love these books!! Absolutely wonderful! What will happen with Almanzo and Laura now that she'll be teaching school 12 miles away? Carrie will be lost without her big sister Laura around! Laura and Pa and Ma are all smart! I love the Literaries the town does! What neat community-building!
The Celtic Rebel (Richard)
Another wonderful entry into the series. While I find some things in the book offensive, I love being able to see what life was like for the pioneers who ventured into the west. The readers gets to experience both the mistakes they made as well as the things they did right. I don't judge them or shame them because they were living life on a day to day basis and doing the best they could. Laura Ingalls Wilder was recording things the way she remembered them.

As with all the Little House series th
AMY
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades 4-5
307 pages. I enjoyed this book almost as much as the previous books in the series. It was nice to see how Laura meets Almanzo Wilder and how things progress as the family continues working their land claim out west. There is a part later in the book that includes a performance by the locals that would be considered quite taboo today involving a minstrel group. I think some discussion would need to accompany this if a teacher was reading it aloud to a class. Otherwise it does accurately reflect t ...more
101 Books to Read...: Little House 07 - Little Town on the Prairie 1 3 Aug 27, 2017 05:01PM

• Down to the Bonny Glen (Little House: The Martha Years, #3)
  • On the Other Side of the Hill (Little House: The Rocky Ridge Years, #4)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Little House of Their Own (Little House: The Caroline Years, #7)
  • Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown (Betsy-Tacy, #4)
  • Little Clearing in the Woods (Little House: The Caroline Years, #3)
  • All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. She also wrote a regular newspaper column and kept a diary as an adult moving from South Dakota to Missouri, the latter of which has been published as a book.

Little House (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1)
  • Little House on the Prairie (Laura Years, #2)
  • Farmer Boy (Little House, #3)
  • On the Banks of Plum Creek  (Little House, #4)
  • By the Shores of Silver Lake  (Little House, #5)
  • The Long Winter (Little House, #6)
  • These Happy Golden Years (Little House, #8)
  • The First Four Years  (Little House, #9)
  • On the Way Home: The Diary of a Trip from South Dakota to Mansfield, Missouri, in 1894  (Little House #10)
  • West from Home: Letters of Laura Ingalls Wilder, San Francisco, 1915  (Little House #11)
“There is no comfort anywhere for anyone who dreads to go home.” 158 likes
“This earthly life is a battle,' said Ma. 'If it isn't one thing to contend with, it's another. It always has been so, and it always will be. The sooner you make up your mind to that, the better off you are, and more thankful for your pleasures.” 51 likes