Start by marking “Ecological Intelligence: Rediscovering Ourselves in Nature (Easyread Large Edition)” as Want to Read:

A best seller in Africa, Ecological Intelligence defines a new way of thinking about the unprecedented environmental pressures of our day. Ian McCallum offers a compelling argument: that we must think differently about ourselves and the earth if w...
Paperback, Large Print, 376 pages
Published December 21st 2009 by ReadHowYouWant (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Ecological Intelligence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ecological Intelligence

Start your review of Ecological Intelligence: Rediscovering Ourselves in Nature (Easyread Large Edition)
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muy bien! I bought two copies, I liked it so much. One to keep, and one to share!
Kristy
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bought this book at kirstenbosch botanical gardens in Cape Town. It was sold in connection to an art exhibit entitled " Untamed", works aimed at reconnecting man with nature. Really striking pieces. I am not typically interested in hard biology. This book pulled me in because the author is a psychiatrist, naturalist, and poet. When it gets multidisciplinary, thats when i get really excited. Though it had some super scientific moments it was more of a manifesto and amazingly thought provoking.

Ac
Gregor
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
One of the few books I started but did not bother finishing after I got about half way. How come?
Well to start with it consists of 2 completely different things. Ecology and poetry. The first one I am interested in, the second I am not. I thought it was an interesting idea, but in the end it did not work for me.
On the poetry part I cannot comment as I have no idea of it. On the ecology part however I can.
The reason for the second star is that the book was very thought provoking for me. I disag
Paschalis
Jul 19, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: elibrary
elibrary
Ryan
May 21, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nature, environment
In a word - Disappointing.

I am a believer in the principles of Deep Ecology, treating every living organism and all forms of life as having the intrinsic right to exist, separate from their usefulness to mankind. I am also quite well acquainted with ecological concepts and the interconnectedness of living and non-living things on Earth. But when the discussion begins to veer towards the spiritual and intangible feelings of 'oneness' with other creatures I begin to tune out. The author is undoubt
Manderson
I did savor many parts of this book, especially McCallum's well-selected poems. The reason I didn't rate it more highly, however, is because sometimes I found his narrative overly reactionary as opposed to solutions oriented. I completely agree with his premise -- we are in desperate need of "ecological intelligence," but what I would like to learn more about is how such intelligence would look in actual practice, such as in systems design, or in everyday life. He spends most of his time delinea ...more
Alexandra
The middle-of-the-road rating doesn't reflect on the ideas in the book, which I completely agree with. However, they're not particularly new or original ideas, especially for the environmentally aware and nature/animal-connected generation. Add to this MacCullum's style of writing, which may be enjoyed by some, by wasn't really by me (at times a little corny, at times a little staid) and you get an "it's okay" summation.
Jane Bruyns
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps having the privilege of meeting the author and hearing his approach made this book more meaningful for me. While much of the biology was familiar territory it is his concept of a 'mind field' that I find particularly compelling. Thought provoking in the extreme. Highly recommend this to those who have a concern about the planet and its inhabitants.
Samantha Tinkler
Zoë Palmer
Apr 23, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Overstory
  • Do you know who the fuck i think i am?
  • Tao Te Ching
  • Hippie
  • The Road Less Traveled: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values and Spiritual Growth
  • The Choice: Embrace the Possible
  • IQ84
  • Life is Like a Kudu Horn: A Conservation Memoir
  • The Last Tasmanian Tiger: The History and Extinction of the Thylacine
  • Man's Search for Meaning
  • Little Soldiers: An American Boy, a Chinese School, and the Global Race to Achieve
  • A Year of Marvellous Ways
  • Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life
  • The Soul Of The White Ant
  • It's Not What It Looks Like
  • The Man Who Knew The Way to the Moon
  • A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs
  • Being Black 'n Chicken, and Chips
Ian McCallum is a medical doctor, Jungian psychologist, wilderness guide, and founder of the Wilderness Leadership School in the Cape of Good Hope. He is the author of the novel Thorns to Kilimanjaro and a poetry collection, Wild Gifts. In the 1970s he played fullback for Springbok, South Africa's national union rugby team. McCallum currently lives in Cape Town with his wife, Sharon.