Start by marking “Ecological Intelligence: Rediscovering Ourselves in Nature (Easyread Large Edition)” as Want to Read:

A best seller in Africa, Ecological Intelligence defines a new way of thinking about the unprecedented environmental pressures of our day. Ian McCallum offers a compelling argument: that we must think differently about ourselves and the earth if w...
Paperback, Large Print, 376 pages
Published December 21st 2009 by ReadHowYouWant (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Ecological Intelligence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ecological Intelligence

Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muy bien! I bought two copies, I liked it so much. One to keep, and one to share!
Kristy
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bought this book at kirstenbosch botanical gardens in Cape Town. It was sold in connection to an art exhibit entitled " Untamed", works aimed at reconnecting man with nature. Really striking pieces. I am not typically interested in hard biology. This book pulled me in because the author is a psychiatrist, naturalist, and poet. When it gets multidisciplinary, thats when i get really excited. Though it had some super scientific moments it was more of a manifesto and amazingly thought provoking.

Ac
Gregor
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
One of the few books I started but did not bother finishing after I got about half way. How come?
Well to start with it consists of 2 completely different things. Ecology and poetry. The first one I am interested in, the second I am not. I thought it was an interesting idea, but in the end it did not work for me.
On the poetry part I cannot comment as I have no idea of it. On the ecology part however I can.
The reason for the second star is that the book was very thought provoking for me. I disag
Ryan
May 21, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nature, environment
In a word - Disappointing.

I am a believer in the principles of Deep Ecology, treating every living organism and all forms of life as having the intrinsic right to exist, separate from their usefulness to mankind. I am also quite well acquainted with ecological concepts and the interconnectedness of living and non-living things on Earth. But when the discussion begins to veer towards the spiritual and intangible feelings of 'oneness' with other creatures I begin to tune out. The author is undoubt
Manderson
I did savor many parts of this book, especially McCallum's well-selected poems. The reason I didn't rate it more highly, however, is because sometimes I found his narrative overly reactionary as opposed to solutions oriented. I completely agree with his premise -- we are in desperate need of "ecological intelligence," but what I would like to learn more about is how such intelligence would look in actual practice, such as in systems design, or in everyday life. He spends most of his time delinea ...more
Alexandra
The middle-of-the-road rating doesn't reflect on the ideas in the book, which I completely agree with. However, they're not particularly new or original ideas, especially for the environmentally aware and nature/animal-connected generation. Add to this MacCullum's style of writing, which may be enjoyed by some, by wasn't really by me (at times a little corny, at times a little staid) and you get an "it's okay" summation.
Jane Bruyns
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps having the privilege of meeting the author and hearing his approach made this book more meaningful for me. While much of the biology was familiar territory it is his concept of a 'mind field' that I find particularly compelling. Thought provoking in the extreme. Highly recommend this to those who have a concern about the planet and its inhabitants.
Kathryn
Mar 18, 2019
ANNA   MAY    L.    GAKO
Jun 28, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Darwin Slept Here: Discovery, Adventure, and Swimming Iguanas in Charles Darwin's South America
  • Edison and the Electric Chair: A Story of Light and Death
  • The Animal Manifesto: Six Reasons for Expanding Our Compassion Footprint
  • A World Without Ice
  • Everyware: The Dawning Age of Ubiquitous Computing
  • Lost Woods: The Discovered Writing of Rachel Carson
  • The Weather of the Future: Heat Waves, Extreme Storms, and Other Scenes from a Climate-Changed Planet
  • Moonshot: The Inside Story of Mankind's Greatest Adventure
  • When Science Goes Wrong: Twelve Tales From the Dark Side of Discovery
  • The Pleasure Instinct: Why We Crave Adventure, Chocolate, Pheromones, and Music
  • Sun in a Bottle: The Strange History of Fusion and the Science of Wishful Thinking
  • Sweetness and Light: The Mysterious History of the Honeybee
  • Collider: The Search for the World's Smallest Particles
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
Ian McCallum is a medical doctor, Jungian psychologist, wilderness guide, and founder of the Wilderness Leadership School in the Cape of Good Hope. He is the author of the novel Thorns to Kilimanjaro and a poetry collection, Wild Gifts. In the 1970s he played fullback for Springbok, South Africa's national union rugby team. McCallum currently lives in Cape Town with his wife, Sharon.
“The decoding of the human genome tells us that we are indeed related to the animals, the insects, and the plants, and that, like it or not, Earth is where we belong.” 7 likes
“Freedom of speech is not simply a freedom to think and say what you wish, but to speak for yourself, to speak from the heart, and to be accountable for your words.” 4 likes