Start by marking “The Enough Moment: Fighting to End Africa's Worst Human Rights Crimes” as Want to Read:
The Enough Moment: Fighting to End Africa's Worst Human Rights Crimes

The Enough Moment: Fighting to End Africa's Worst Human Rights Crimes

Had Enough?

Join activists, organizations, and celebrities to fight human rights crimes in Africa.

Human rights activist John Prendergast and Oscar-nominated actor Don Cheadle bring us an empowering and hopeful new book, as they reveal the steps being taken by engaged citizens--Upstanders--famous and unknown, here and abroad, to combat genocide, rape, and child soldierdom
Published September 7th 2010 by Crown Publishing Group (NY) (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Enough Moment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Enough Moment

Start your review of The Enough Moment: Fighting to End Africa's Worst Human Rights Crimes
Emily
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Focusing on three unspeakably evil things happening on a massive scale in Africa (genocide, rape, and child conscription), Mr. Prendergast and Mr. Cheadle highlight "Upstanders," people who are making a difference. These Upstanders include American celebrities as well as practically anonymous individuals in Congo or Uganda. They are students and journalists, politicians and activists, actors and medical professionals, who refused to wring their hands over the atrocities and turn away. They ...more
Matt
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
What at first seems to be a rather vague yet inspiring (or awakening) overview of the human rights issues in Africa, turns out to be a well researched, thorough coverage of the situation. Prendergast also provides excellent thoughts on the action that is needed.

Read this book!
Sarah Grimes
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
About half way through and its got me really emotional. We as humans have failed so many of our own. The best portions are the survivor stories. I do feel like I'm missing something by not reading their first book first; a bit like starting halfway through a series.
Hilary
The authors trace the history of war crimes and war tactics in eastern and central Africa. The text describes how individual can reach the point where they feel enough is enough and are compelled to take action.

Situations selected to illustrate Africans plight include genocide in Darfur, child abductions to create soldiers or sex slaves, and the use of rape as a weapon of war. Descriptions of these situations portray the darkest and basest human behavior and may be distressing even for adult
Kristina Klausser
Sep 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is a really great source for information on conflict in Africa (specifically rape as a weapon of war in the Congo, child soldiers, and conflict minerals). Though I knew much of the included information the format of the book made it interesting and touching.
Susan
Feb 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read_and_review
The personal reflection that really lingers with me is Ben Affleck's observation that Africans know how to fish, there just aren't any fish in the pond. That's in the context of the famous saying "if you give a man a fish..." by the way, because on its own it sounds kind of weird.
Larry Bassett
Aug 20, 2010 rated it liked it
The Enough Moment: Fighting to End Africas Worst Human Rights Crimes
John Prendergast
Don Cheadle

The descriptions of the atrocities in The Enough Moment are not as graphic as the reality must be. You have to put in some of your own imaginary pictures of rape, mutilation and violence. But the narrators would have you understand that your imagination is unlikely to be as horrible as the actual event. Then imagine that you are a child witnessing parents being hacked to death or a mother brutally
Victoria
Mar 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
If you are looking for a book of statistics and information and history specifically about the wars that have been currently going on in Africa, this is not the book for you. I think that is what I was hoping for a little bit, honestly.

This book is mainly about how in learning information about the goings-on of the wars in Africa, when will we be willing to say, "Enough is enough!" When would we be willing to see a change or a stop to these wars that are murdering and destroying the lives of
Stephanie
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This definitely isn't my typical read, but for what it was (A book inspiring activism in Africa), I did enjoy it. It taught me a lot about what is doing on in Darfur, the Sudan, and the Congo. Things I have heard about but never imagined the depth of. For someone who wants to read something that is non-fiction and educational, I would definitely suggest this book. It was an easy read and very motivating to hear about others who have said "enough!" and made a difference.
Gregory
Sep 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, politics
You definitely get the feel of the authors' passion in this book, which makes it worthwhile, but I wouldn't call it gripping. It will also be hard to follow if you are not already pretty well versed in the history of contemporary African political conflict.
Tara Humphries
Sep 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Prendergast does a great job outlining the Genocide in Darfur, Bosnia, and adds in examples from the Ivory Coast, Rwanda, etc. He is clear and makes great points, has wonderful stories from activists and survivors, and has a strong voice for change. I highly recommend!
Lindsay
www.enoughmoment.org

Stopped on page 90. Didn't enjoy writing style, although the topic is very important. Heard George Clooney got the president's ear this week to discuss Sudan, etc.
Linda
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Interesting perspective on how and why to become an Upstander. Gives good examples of how "ordinary" people become "extraordinary" in their fight for human rights.
drék
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
tough subject matter, but necessary read...
Katy Hampton
Great content, although I wasn't able to get used to the way it was laid out with the dialog between the two authors.
Ruth
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Just like their previous book, they give inspiring stories of Upstanders and the thing ordinary people can do to help people in the Congo, Uganda, and every where.
Michele Mcconnell
Wow - the authors were able to compile a book about the atrocities of what is happening in the Congo, and add in stories about what people are doing to help.
Alisa Wheeler
Jul 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Great book on human rights abuses in central Africa and how we can all work together to put an end to them.
Nicole McGee
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: rape
Eye opening!
Marisa Lyden geraghty
If you want to make a difference, educate yourself on topic....great read.
Helen
May 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies
  • Half the Sky: Turning Oppression Into Opportunity for Women Worldwide
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5, Part 1)
  • Unbelievable: My Front-Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American History
  • My Soul to Keep (African Immortals, #1)
  • This Fight Is Our Fight: The Battle to Save America's Middle Class
  • No Self, No Problem: How Neuropsychology Is Catching Up to Buddhism
  • The Headspace Guide to Meditation & Mindfulness
  • Dead Aid: Why Aid Is Not Working and How There Is a Better Way for Africa
  • The Cross and the Switchblade
  • My Story: "A Child Called It", "The Lost Boy", "A Man Named Dave"
  • The Forever Crew (Adamson All-Boys Academy, #3)
  • The Rivers of Zadaa (Pendragon, #6)
  • We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families
  • Black Water (Pendragon, #5)
  • The Reality Bug (Pendragon, #4)
  • Race Against Time
John Prendergast is a human rights activist and best-selling author who has worked for peace in Africa for over 25 years. He is the co-founder of the Enough Project, an initiative to end genocide and crimes against humanity affiliated with the Center for American Progress. John has worked for the Clinton White House, the State Department, two members of Congress, the National Intelligence Council, ...more

News & Interviews