Start by marking “Animal Farm and 1984” as Want to Read:
Animal Farm and 1984

Animal Farm and 1984

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  123,385 Ratings  ·  1,367 Reviews
This edition features two of George Orwell's masterworks - the harrowing dystopian novel 1984, along with Animal Farm, the classic satire of the Russian Revolution. Introduction by Christopher Hitchens.
Published June 1st 2003 by Houghton Mifflin (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Animal Farm and 1984, please sign up.

Asmaa Yasser Aboshabana Yes, I did .
Actually, I liked that audio version. You can find it for free and download it on your device to enjoy listening at anytime.
The reader Wait a little bit Sophia. Two more years? Ask Mr. W about it.

Maria Stancheva
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
За "1984"
Отдавна не съм давала 5 звезди на чисто художествена литература, но книгата е прекрасна.
Започнах я с доза скептицизъм, тъй като очаквах да не ми хареса, точно защото е хвалена отвсякъде, а аз съм се научила да имам едно наум за такива книги.
Каква беше моята изненада, когато установих, че книгата е умна,с кратки изречения,носещи максимален ефект и гениален подбор на думи. Думите, те правят красотата на тази книга. Авторът ги използва като инструменти, като една дума на едно място може
Mariel
Oct 18, 2011 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: m.d.
Recommended to Mariel by: witches saw the future
Celebrity Death Match tournament versus Macbeth.
In a galaxy that's this one and today only most people don't realize it because it scrolls on the screen in teeny tiny neon green letters with a sterile surgical instrumental backdrop. Or CNN. Once upon a time that's today. There was a MAN and a Big Brother and they were one and the same. What about the sisters?
"You could be big brother, you know. People always ask who the MAN is supposed to be. You're a man, aren't you? Although it has been some t
Chad Warner
May 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
These are Orwell's most famous books. Both are dystopian tales of the dangers of a totalitarian government.

Similarities between the books:
The government knows best.
The intelligentsia seize power.
The naive proletariat are oppressed and kept ignorant.
The government bends or breaks its own rules for its benefit.
The government uses propaganda to keep the proletariat in check.
The government rewrites history to prove that it's correct and that life is better with the government than it was before the
Taymara Jagmohan
I have finished only Animal Farm, and this book is most certainly a single chapter of good, gracious continental life. It's wonderful. I did read this paragon when I was 13, and now I have grown, but this book remained my personified retinue. It's beautiful.

Animal Farm is based on the tropics of hard-working animals, governed by the tyranny stimulated by (Napolean and Snowball) -
I cannot give an explanation or a review for this book, because it is too graceful. It makes you feel the need to eat
kian
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
باكسر از حرف ت جلوتر نرفت. با سم بزرگش روي خاك الف ب پ ت را رسم ميكرد و بعد با گوش خوابيده به حروف خيره ميشد،گاهي كاكلش را تكان ميداد و با تمام نيرو سعي ميكرد حروف بعدي را به خاطر آورد ولي توفيق نمييافت.چند بار ج چ ح خ را هم ياد گرفت ولي هربار كه آنها را بهياد داشت متوجه ميشد كه الف و ب و پ و ت را فراموش كرده است.بالاخره مصمم شد كه به همان چهار حرف اول قناعت كند..... ساير حيوانات مزرعه از حرف الف جلوتر نرفتند و همچنين كاشف به عمل آمد كه حيوانات كودن،مانند گوسفندان،مرغان و اردكها قادر به از بر كر ...more
Markus Molina
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love 1984, I love Animal Farm, and I love George Orwell. There is so much wisdom and depth to these two stories and there is so much that has been written or said about them, it would be a struggle to review them without subconsciously regurgitating all the good things I've heard. I just feel like both of these stories, and especially 1984 should be read by everyone. I believe it helps you appreciate what you got and to question everything you hear. I believe they are some of the most thought ...more
Dylan McIntosh
Mar 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Animal Farm once a decade. It is a quick read that constantly reminds me that I need to keep the blinders off and not take everything for granted.

I have a strange desire for bacon for some reason.
Text Publishing
‘There are no replacements for George Orwell, just as there are no replacements for a Bernard Shaw or a Mark Twain…he pricked, provoked and badgered lazy minds, delighted those who enjoyed watching an original intelligence at work.’
Time
Farnoosh Brock
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
You Must Read Animal Farm. That's the brief version of my review.

Eric Arthur Blair, or George Orwell as the world knows him, is a genius at describing fear, terror, doubt, uncertainty, mischief, evil, and hopelessness. The writing is beyond exquisite, even if the topic is morose. Such a loss to the world that Mr. Orwell died when he was just 46 years old. The unwritten works that he never wrote, the works that would have enriched our world and weren't meant to be. In Animal Farm, much like 1984,
Leonard
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others.”

Joseph Stalin
Joseph Stalin

In Animal Farm George Orwell reenacted the Russian Revolution and its aftermath, Major, Napoleon, Snowball, Jones, and Frederick incarnating Lenin, Stalin, Trotsky, Tsar Nicolas II and Hitler. But through the fable, Orwell critiques not only communism but also any corruption of power, leaders highlighting real or imagined threats to instill fear in followers and solidify power.

Leon Trotsky
Leon Trotsky

As often repeated through
Kara Belden
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two of my favorite books! Meant to re-read 1984 with the student book club, but it got away from me. 1984 was one of my favorite required high school reads my senior year, and I LOVE to teach Animal Farm!
Dana Turk
It is difficult to rate a novel which is incomplete. This version if Animal Farm and 1984 does not contain the full versions of either book. Animal Farm has only the first 10 chapters and ends abruptly on page 86. 1984 has only the first 3 sections and repeats itself.
This is more a sampling of Orwells Classics rather than a complete read.
If you want to read the full novel. Don't purchase this one
Maria Lasprilla
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aninal Farm was entertaining until I kept on finding the similarities with Venezuela. It was like the history of the last 15-20 years of the country told in the form of a fable and written decades earlier.

1984: this was worse than watching a horror movie (which I hate) because while in a movie I'm always aware it's fiction, the book kept on confusing me making me feel I was actually going through a factual piece. Only specific elements got me out of it. The biggest impressions happened while re
Cindy
Animal Farm is reviewed here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

1984 - a terrifying look into the future that seems more possible with each passing day. The writing still stands up, and though 1984 is long in the past, and we still aren't quite living the the horrid oligarchy of Engsoc - we have traveled too far down the path for comfort. I'm pinning my hopes on the proletariat, and hoping I'm not wrong.
Jongalt
Feb 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its quite unique how he portrays his characters as animals. And its often hilarious. But once again...hes a socialist...this is what he wants...why does he trash it here but fight for it in real life? But I have to thank him just like I did for 1984 for making a great book explaining the pitfalls of socialism.

Overall:
Storyline is funny yet serious.
You hate pigs more after your done.
You realize that George Orwell is a hypocrite.
Read it and feel great we aren't to this point...yet.
Melody
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I have finally read 1984. It just took me a few years to pick it up. My rating is leaning more toward 3.5 more than 3.

I enjoyed the book. I really don't know how to express my feelings about it yet. But I did enjoyed it.
Mahsa Seyed jafari
این کتابو به همه پیشنهاد میکنم بخونن
Shaun
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection contains two of Orwell's greatest works that most certainly complement each other and are thus worth reading together. Yet because I wrote a separate review for Animal Farm, I will stick to 1984 in this review.

Not only can Orwell write with the best of them, but his philosophical and intellectual insights are notable. A story about one man's ultimately futile resistance against a powerful and totalitarian regime, 1984 illustrates how absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I think wh
Sruthi
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: schooling
"Animal Farm" tells the simple and tragic story of what happens when the oppressed farm animals rebel, drive out Mr. Jones, the farmer, and attempt to rule the farm themselves, on an equal basis. What the animals seem to have aimed at was a utopian sort of communism, where each would work according to his capacity, respecting the needs of others. The venture failed, and "Animal Farm" ended up being a dictatorship of pigs, who were the brightest, and most idle of the animals. Napoleon literally b ...more
Տիրան
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Շատ լավն էր դրսից նայողի համար, բայց մակերեսային՝ ներսից տեսնողի համար, իմ կարծիքով:
Vishwesh Jirgale
One of the best book I have read.
Animal Farm

Great dramatization of the very heavy idea that "Absolute power is likely to Corrupt Absolutely!"
I have read this book multiple times and would read it again because every time I read I gain new insights into human nature and the civilization/government game.
What’s more, the novel ends with a quote so true that it still gives me chills.
“The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again: but already it was imp
Joe Hill
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Communism doesn't work because the people in power want power for themselves. Shallow characterization, I.e. None of the characters are compelling. It is a parable meant to teach you a life lesson about the dangers of socialism. I'm sure grade schoolers can read without rolling their eyes too much. For me it was too heavy-handed. And I'm pretty sure that pigs are not smarter than dogs by that much.
Rao Javed
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ficion-books
Awesome
Marks54
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a reread for me on both of these books. I don't know why I pressed myself to finish this on Super Bowl Sunday, but it seemed appropriate this year. I have read both several times and read 1984 at the start of high school, well before the date of Orwell's major classic. It was interesting to look at these books again after many years and under current conditions. I will focus on 1984. Animal Farm was always good as a satire of the Russian Revolution eating itself and the main effect rema ...more
Pavel Kolev
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well don't finish the book before going to bed - that's for sure. Overall I did not expect that kind of story. Some of the events in the book will require more thinking to figure out why exactly were they in the book. And now i can see why the phrase "1984 supposed to be a warning not a guide" is so famous.
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So it only took me a few decades getting around to reading something by Eric Arthur Blair. Oh wait, I meant to write George Orwell. HA! These two stories helped me to understand why an author might choose to go by another name, you know, in order to protect themselves from retribution for their writings. I can see how these 2 stories may have pissed off some of the powers that be in the day. Anyhow, I’m very happy I have finally finished the book..

Animal Farm is undeniably one of the most thoug
Larry Bassett
What was George Orwell saying to his readers of the eighty-four pages of Animal Farm in 1945?
The animals huddled about Clover, not speaking. The knoll where they were lying gave them a wide prospect across the countryside. Most of Animal Farm was within their view – the long pasture stretching down to the main road, the hayfield, the spinney, the drinking pool, the ploughed fields where the young wheat was thick and green, and the red roofs of the farm buildings with the smoke curling from the
Kat
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2017
I had read this years ago in school and I remember being incredibly unimpressed. It is amazing what several dozen years can do to change your perspective. The book is filled with powerful allegories and is surprisingly relevant today.
Adam
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If anyone reads anything by Orwell, they read this.

These two works are really the culmination of a short but prolific publishing career for Orwell, who produced a great volume of journalism over a decade and a half in the 1930s and 1940s. In that time, he watched as Europe buckle between the twin forces of Nazi fascism and Soviet Communism. Because the Nazis were the enemy of Britain and the USSR was the tenuous ally, however, criticism of Soviet tactics and practices was highly discouraged. Thu
Hillary
  • Four Great Tragedies: Hamlet / Othello / King Lear / Macbeth
  • Brave New World / Brave New World Revisited
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer & Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
  • The Call of the Wild, White Fang and Other Stories
  • The Metamorphosis, In the Penal Colony, and Other Stories: The Great Short Works of Franz Kafka
  • The Iliad/The Odyssey
  • Dead Babies
  • The Pit and the Pendulum
  • Gulliver's Travels and Other Writings
  • Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird (Bloom's Guides)
  • A Snowball in Hell
  • Bradbury Stories: 100 of His Most Celebrated Tales
  • The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States
  • Chocky
  • The Rat
  • Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet
  • Common Sense, The Rights of Man and Other Essential Writings
  • The Drowned World
Eric Arthur Blair, better known by his pen name George Orwell, was an English author and journalist. His work is marked by keen intelligence and wit, a profound awareness of social injustice, an intense opposition to totalitarianism, a passion for clarity in language, and a belief in democratic socialism.

In addition to his literary career Orwell served as a a police officer with the Indian Imperia
More about George Orwell...
“In that case the current orthodoxy happens to be challenged, and so the principle of free speech lapses. Now, when one demands liberty of speech and of the press, one is not demanding absolute liberty. There always must be, or at any rate there always will be, some degree of censorship, so long as organised societies endure. But freedom, as Rosa Luxembourg [sic] said, is ‘freedom for the other fellow’. The same principle is contained in the famous words of Voltaire: ‘I detest what you say; I will defend to the death your right to say it.’ If the intellectual liberty which without a doubt has been one of the distinguishing marks of western civilisation means anything at all, it means that everyone shall have the right to say and to print what he believes to be the truth, provided only that it does not harm the rest of the community in some quite unmistakable way.” 13 likes
“ALL ANIMALS ARE EQUAL BUT SOME ANIMALS ARE MORE EQUAL THAN OTHERS” 9 likes