Start by marking “The Hating Game” as Want to Read:
The Hating Game

The Hating Game

When Mattie Johns agrees to star on a dating game show to save her ailing recruitment business, she's confident she'll sail through to the end without letting down the perma-guard she's perfected from years of her love 'em and leave 'em dating strategy.

After all, what can go wrong with dating a few losers and hanging out long enough to pick up a juicy £200,000 prize? Ple
Published March 9th 2011 by Prospera (first published November 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Hating Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hating Game

Start your review of The Hating Game
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Jul 28, 2012 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: chick-lit
Chick Lit, it's nothing personal, but we have to break up.

As much as I would love to be able to read and enjoy every single genre in existence, it's obviously not possible. I'm finding that I'm just not a chick lit kind of girl. I gave it my best shot. There is something about this particular style of story-telling which fails to grab my interest.

I mean, I honestly can't explain why I wouldn't enjoy a story where a woman is conned into participating on a dating game show in which her ex-boy
Zain
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read this by accident while I was looking for another book with a similar title.

The book is pretty much MEH.. The kind of book I know I'll forget all about in 2 hours time.
D.J.
Nov 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was offered the opportunity to read a pre-release copy and found it to be a fabulous indulgence in a The Devil Wears Prada meets The Dating Game sort of way. If you are the sort of person who loves reading while wearing your comfiest clothes, as you sip champagne and work your way through a box of chocolates, then you will love The Hating Game. Treat yourself to a copy of The Hating Game because you're worth it.
Leah
Nov 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
When man-eater Mattie Johns agrees to star on a dating game show to save her ailing recruitment business, she’s confident she’ll sail through to the end without letting down the perma-guard she’s perfected from years of her love ‘em and leave ‘em dating strategy. After all, what can go wrong with dating a few losers and hanging out long enough to pick up a juicy £50,000 prize? Plenty, Mattie discovers, when it’s revealed that the contestants are four of her very unhappy exes. Can Mattie confront ...more
Ahlynne Aberas
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, I'm not a chick lit fan. It's not the book it's me. To those who love chick lit, don't mind the stars. Please read the book and you might find yourself enjoying it. Xoxoxo, Alyn
Glynis Smy
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jane Green and Sophie Kinsella move over, Talli Roland is in the house!

I do not read many Chick Lit books, but when I have picked up a Green or Kinsella book I have enjoyed them. Having read so many rave reviews about the ebook, The Hating Game by Talli Roland, I decided to buy a copy. I downloaded Kindle for the PC and bought myself a copy of the ebook straight away. (The paperback is out in a couple of months).
The cover is vibrant and begs to be read.

Mattie Johns is a career minded high flying
Jessica Bell
May 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Talli Roland = Nick Hornby with boobs. 'The Hating Game' knocked my socks right off, and replaced them with a comfy warm foot bath. Reading this book was just as good as a Friday night with pizza, chick flick, and full body massage all at once.

And it wasn't only entertaining. It was different than other chick lit books I've read. It was different because the main character, Mattie, wasn't someone a reader would easily warm to or root for. I didn't get all teary-eyed, or hate what was being done
Jude
Oct 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Think Blind Date meets Big Brother meets I'm a Celebrity and you've pretty much got the idea of the sort of game show hell Mattie Johns finds herself in.

She's asked to do some embarrassing things during the course of the game show. You expect her to refuse, but she's so determined to save her business she just takes a deep breath and gets on with it. Albeit, with some fabulous putdowns to anyone who annoys her.

I thought I knew how the story was going to unfold but I was wrong-footed by something
Theresa Milstein
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"`IF I GET PNEUMONIA, HE'S GOING to pay,' Mattie Johns muttered as she gripped the chains of the dunk- tank swing and looked down into the murky water."

The first scene already had me laughing so I was hooked. The story unfolds seamlessly. When I began the book, it was a busy time for me but I made time to read. I finished it in four days.

At first I found Mattie unlikeable. But even in the beginning, I could detect her vulnerability within her uncompromising exterior. This is a woman who wants
Stephen Tremp
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
we begin with self-published author extraordinaire Talli Roland and her debut novel The Hating Game, which is also the first Chic Lit book I’ve ever read. Coming into this, I did not know what to expect. Honestly, I was hooked from the beginning. There was never a dull moment. This was a character driven comedy that could easily be made into a two-hour movie for the Hallmark Channel.

The characters were about as diverse as one could imagine. They reached out of the pages and engaged the reader. I
Jennifer Daiker
Jun 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Mattie Johns is crumbling to pieces, a man-eater by nature she has sworn of guy after guy before it gets to serious, burned by her last ex she finds not only her heart falling to the ground but her business.

A solution walks into her office, a proposition that Mattie will not refuse. Go on a dating show and win the prize money to save her company. Nothing is as simple as it seems, she soon finds out she's not dating just anyone, she's dating her exes.

Talli Roland left nothing to chance, her writ
Len
Jul 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A captivating, unputdownable book! Mattie Johns is an enthralling character that may appear to be tough and vicious outside, a man-eater, and unhappy human being...but I think every woman needs a little bit of that toughness, of her confidence and poise, a vision of strength and inner power even if the reality is she is crumbling inside. Even when she's losing an argument, she makes sure she says something smart in the end, even if it's only a one-word 'Whatever!' You'll both love and hate her, ...more
Joanna St. James
Nov 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Mattie takes the word Man- Eater to a different level, in my mind she is now being referred to as the nutcracker. She is like the best of us, hard in the face of unwelcome surprises and betrayal.
Flung into a world of exes and reality TV you can only imagine how hard she will fight back when her back is against the wall, the true test of her strength is revealed when she has to face up to her own flaws and stop whipping others into shape.

Talli Roland has captured the essence of her characters and
Teresa
What a totally refreshing read! A different approach to romance, with the back drop of a reality TV show as the plot.

I really enjoyed this book. It had great pacing, sharp, witty writing and by the end I didn't want to put it down. The author has a great way with words. This story had me giggling, and cringing at the poor things Mattie had to endure.

Mattie is one tough cookie with a chip on her shoulder (if you ask me) but I still found myself empathising with her, realising her mum's brainwash
Jo Schaffer
Dec 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a very fun read! Snarky, hip, humorous,romantic--a page turner! On top of being entertaining I thought it took an insightful look into the heart of someone with "daddy issues" and how it affects her dating, while also making a satirical poke at the "reality TV" epidemic and what we consider "good drama" and the extremes that some shows will go to just for ratings.
I definitely recommend this to anyone who wants an enjoyable read laced with thought provoking "reality".
Ann
Sep 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful read. I was gripped instantly! Anxious to find out what trials and tribulations where in store for Mattie Johns with the turning of each page.

A very cleverly written book filled with witty sarcasm and just the right amount of tenderness. I read this book in three sittings. I would recommend this book to anyone!!!
Karly Kirkpatrick
Dec 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
I haven't indulged in chicklit/romantic comedy style books in awhile, but this made me remember why I enjoyed them so much! The Hating Game was very unique, I loved the reality-show based plot and the characters were a lot of fun. And I'm always a fan of books set in England. Well written and a great read, I highly recommend!
Karen
May 30, 2010 marked it as to-read
Oh so exciting to have the cover! And now that I know about the Book Depository I can buy it right off.
FreeMrBates
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
The only sane person in this books was poor Kyle. LOL
Carol Riggs
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve probably had this book on my Kindle for years! And now I’m finally happy to say I’ve read and enjoyed it. It’s not what I normally read—contemporary rom-com or chick lit for adults (I tend to stick to YA) so that was interesting. The idea of a game show called The Hating Game was unique and great, and fun to see how the plot played out. The F-words weren’t really my thing, or the sexual references/innuendos, but other people might not care about those. But in general, the humor made me smil ...more
Pamela Braxtonjoyner
Real Reality!

I was halfway through when I was struck with the thought, "is this comedy or drama?" I believe both! Life is a combination of both, and when manipulated, it seems to be more dramatic than necessary! I stayed up late to get to the end! I will read this an others from on Me. Roland! Very entertaining! Thank you!
Amanda Robinson
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although the story is somewhat predictable, it was still an enjoyable read. The relationship between the main character and her ex boyfriends is plausible and makes it easy to relate to her. An easy holiday read.
Cindy Robles
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really cute

I really liked this story it kind of gave you an inside look at how reality tv works the characters were relatable and I liked how it ended
Ivy Kaprow
Jun 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
This was horrible. The premise sounded cute but in reality, it was awful. The protagonist, along with nearly every other character, was completely unlikable and the plot was extremely unrealistic.
Melissa
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
It was an okay read! Nothing too memorable and hardly got the feels at all throughout but not a difficult read. Not sure if I'd recommend.
LindyLouMac
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Talli Roland is a very enterprising young woman that totally understands the importance of publicity. She obviously realises that it is just not enough in the competitive world of publishing to sit back on your laurels and think how well you have done to get a book published! No this young lady has gone out of her way to promote her first novel ‘The Hating Game’, for this alone I hope it succeeds. She writes a blog called Talli Roland is a Goodreads author has a Facebook Page and is also to be f ...more
Nikki
Reviewed at JudgingCovers.co.uk

As embarrassing as it is, I’ve always quite liked reality television. If it involves a group of weirdos desperately clinging to their 15 minutes of fame, it’s likely that I’ll be hooked… so when I stumbled upon The Hating Game, a book based around a reality TV show, I couldn’t resist.

The story centres around Mattie Johns, a shrewd business woman who is having a bit of a crisis. Her recruitment company is failing and she’s facing bankruptcy – all thanks to her cheat
J.L. Campbell
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A cash strapped businesswoman gets the chance to be on a dating game show, which will save her from financial ruin. The twist on The Hating Game is that all of the men are her ex-lovers. The main character goes through hell and high water to salvage her business, but discovers that money is not always the bottom line.

Mattie Johns is a tough-as-nails character, who isn’t easy to like. I got past her orneriness because of how much I laughed while reading The Hating Game. She’s mean – no doubt abou
Jonita
Feb 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Mattie Johns prides herself on the fact that she doesn't need a man to survive. She has a strict love- 'em- and- leave- 'em personal philosophy that has worked quite well for her in the past. However when her business starts crumbling because an ex-boyfriend has stolen most of her clients and the bills start piling up, Mattie signs up to be on a dating show where she just has to stick it out for two weeks in order to become the winner of 200,000 GBP. What Mattie doesn't count on is the fact that ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Kuřim Case: A Terrifying True Story of Child Abuse, Cults & Cannibalism
  • The Girl and the Hunt (Emma Griffin #6)
  • The Girl and the Deadly End (Emma Griffin #7)
  • The One Saving Grace: From the author of the bestselling 'A Village Affair'
  • It’s Not Me, It’s You
  • Hold Back the Night (A Detective McDaniel Thriller #1)
  • Here's Looking at You
  • The House by the Sea
  • The Other Son
  • A Litter of Bones (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #1)
  • Rosie’s Little Café on the Riviera
  • Thicker than Water (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #2)
  • Save Your Breath (Morgan Dane #6)
  • The Killing Code (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #3)
  • Who’s That Girl?
  • Blood and Treachery (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #4)
  • You Had Me At Hello
  • The Last Bloody Straw (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #5)
Talli Roland writes fun, romantic fiction. Born and raised in Canada, Talli now lives in London, where she savours the great cultural life (coffee and wine).

Despite training as a journalist, Talli soon found she preferred making up her own stories--complete with happy endings. Talli's debut novel The Hating Game was short-listed for Best Romantic Read at the UK's Festival of Romance, while her sec

News & Interviews

“One in two believe they know best when it comes to choosing their friends’ partners, but wouldn’t dream of letting their friends select a partner for them.” 0 likes