Start by marking “The Terrible Tudors” as Want to Read:
The Terrible Tudors

The Terrible Tudors (Horrible Histories)

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  1,732 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Hippo / Scholastic Edition.
Published June 18th 1993 by Scholastic Hippo (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Terrible Tudors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Terrible Tudors

Alina Cătărău
Through Terrible Tudors I entered Terry Deary‘s world and, to this day, this book is still the one I have enjoyed the most. However, I’m sure there are many Horrible Histories volumes that await to be read and reviewed, and I bet those will be as fascinating as the one I’m going to talk about here.

The Terrible Tudor timeline stretches from the end of The War of the Roses to the last day of Queen Elizabeth I’s reign. Besides the Tudor dynasty, you will read about life and death in Tudor times, in
Jasmine
Jul 08, 2013 Jasmine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
The fact that there is a severed head on the front gives it an automatic five stars. The content is just a bonus.
Shilpa
Aug 15, 2012 Shilpa rated it it was amazing
It is part of the Horrible Histories series by Terry Deary and I have to say it’s just as enlightening and humorous in it’s gory and unique way as are the rest of them. It is a book of non-fiction filled with intriguing facts, questions, drawings, and fun quizzes, all to help enhance the learning experience and to really teleport you to the world of the Tudors.

I think it paints a wonderful picture of what life was like back then and really keeps a firm hold of the reader’s attention with the us
Alannah Clarke
A fun and engaging way for children to start learning about the Tudors, from Henry VI's reign all the way to his granddaughter Elizabeth's I. It doesn't really sound that impressive when you put it that way but this little book is packed full of facts guaranteed to make any child interested.

From clothing to schooling to witchcraft, Deary covers it all without going into too much detail to bore the young readers while making them feel like they are learning while enjoying it. And I have to say, i
sabisteb
Mar 09, 2011 sabisteb rated it it was amazing
King Henry was fat as a boar
He had six wives and still wanted more.
Anne and Kate said,
"By heck! He's a pain in the neck!"
As their heads landed smack on the floor.

Die "Horrible Histories" sind eine erfolgreiche englische Buchreihe illustrierter, lustiger Geschichtsbücher. Konzipiert ist sie für englische Schulkinder, um ihnen (die) Geschichte schmackhaft zu machen. Die Reihe wurde mittlerweile in 31 Sprachen übersetzt und einige wenige Bände sind auch auf Deutsch erhältlich. Einige Bücher wurden
Alistair Miller
May 26, 2014 Alistair Miller rated it really liked it
This is a great book for children in KS2 to start learning about the Tudors. I would have this for higher KS2, years 5 or 6. The text is informative but also extremely fun, with some great cartoons as well to add to the points being made in the text.

As the title suggests, this book covers the period of history when Tudor monarchs ruled the country. The information is livened up by discussing not just what they did as monarchs, but also their personalities. Interesting stories revealing their per
Smaragda
Dec 07, 2011 Smaragda rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a book in a day for a long time... I just couldn't put this down.
I always hated History, but this is how it should be taught! It was easy to read and taught me all kinds of stuff. It made me wonder why teaching History to kids is acceptable, though. In any case, I would definitely recommend this book to anyone, and especially people who don't know anything about the Tudors (since I was one yesterday, I have no idea if this would still be interesting if I knew things already.)

There
James
Dec 22, 2014 James rated it it was amazing
This book is really good for people who aren't afraid of a bit of horror. The book contains many true and entertaining stories of Tudor times and beliefs and ways of dealing with their beliefs. It also contains stories to do with witches, superstitions from their time, conspiracies about Shakespeare and a mystery murder.

If you are afraid of stories about being stabbed in the head or being decapitated, this isn't for you. But if you like interesting stories and conspiracies about the past, this b
Siobhan
Sep 06, 2015 Siobhan rated it really liked it
As a child history was one of my favourite school subjects thus making Horrible Histories the perfect books for me.

Nowadays children have the television series yet I belong to the older group that had the books. Personally, I believe any child who has an interest in history should give these books a go. They’re truly gripping and so many topics are covered.

Honestly, Horrible Histories are well worth a read.
Tomas
May 26, 2013 Tomas rated it really liked it
This was a very Informative, funny and gruesome book full of priceless puns, fantastic facts and impressive information about the tudors which I am very interested in. this book made me gasp, laugh and it knocked my socks off reading this awesome bundle of words. This book is one of the best in the Horrible Histories series and I would definitely recommend it to anyone of all ages.
Guguk
Oct 27, 2016 Guguk rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bakpao-keju
Sejarah memang berdarah! (*≧ω≦*)

Membahas tentang "dinasti" Tudor yang memerintah Inggris, plus gaya hidup masyarakat di jaman itu.
Sarah Bryson
Mar 11, 2017 Sarah Bryson rated it liked it
Knowing my love of Tudor history my husband came home one day with this book for me. I was very excited as I had watched several Horrible Histories clips that had been done from the TV show about the Terrible Tudors. They always made me laugh and I was quite excited to learn more interesting facts.

This book is defiantly aimed at children/teenagers but that doesn’t mean as a grown adult you can’t read it and have a good chuckle. There is lots of interesting information contained within the book
Kathleen
Nov 10, 2015 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Okay let's talk about the Horrible Histories.

You may be aware of them as a TV show, which I highly, highly recommend, but you may not be aware that they are also books! Which I also recommend!

It's hard to talk about the Horrible Histories specifically. They're hysterical short nonfiction books consisting of maybe 120 pages tops? Aimed at children, they set out to tell you all about the really nasty side of history, which I am always down for. They're smart and funny with great illustrations, and
Daniel Smith
The Terrible Tudors, by Terry Deary, is one of those books that makes an attempt to tell history in a "fun" or "interesting" way. Deary tries to do this with explaining the history of a time period with things that your textbooks don't tell you. This book focused on the time period in which the Tudors ruled England. The book discussed topics like Tudor schooling and fun and games during the Tudor times in order to make the book more appealing to those who might think of history as boring or not ...more
Agnes Budianto
Love the way it tells the facts with hillarious sentences or the way the graphics tells us.
Leah
Jul 24, 2013 Leah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children/Teens into History
Recommended to Leah by: I subscribed after watching the TV advert
I subscribed to the series after watching an advert online, and read them as soon as they arrived, and couldn't wait for the next one to come out! They give such great facts about each time period and even on periods I knew about, the magazines contained information I had never heard before.

I did like this magazine, especially the illustrations and the facts on the six wives was great. I also like the comic strip at the front explaning how Henry VIII cam around.

I just didn't enjoy it as much as
Ibran Khan
Sep 06, 2011 Ibran Khan rated it really liked it
If you havn't a clue who the tudors were, then take my word for it theres no better way of learning about them than this book. Together with gruesome detail and lots of humour, I read my way through this book to learn the beginning of the Tudor Era starting from Henry 7th victory at the battle of bosworth to Henry 8th, Edward and the infamous 'Bloody Mary'. Really vile details on executions I remember including Bloody Mary's persecution and massacre of protestants throughout the country.
Although
Nayhara Sepulcri
May 31, 2014 Nayhara Sepulcri rated it really liked it
Foul facts, horrendous beheadings, a mysterious murder, some curious quizzes and gruesome games are part of the formula that makes 'The terrible Tudors' so attractive to young learners. Its bold and accessible language, as well as the extra-horrible bits, make the book a success.

T. Deary's book is a fun and engaging way of sharing facts about Tudor times, such as life expectancy, health care and sanitisation. His style is humorous and it is a great resource when teaching about the Tudors. Child
Suraia
May 20, 2014 Suraia rated it really liked it
A witty and funny read: find some foul facts, some horrendous beheadings, a mysterious murder, some curious quizzes and gruesome games. I found these Horrible Histories books a great way to get my nieces and specially my nephews reading. A brilliant way to learn about history and I have seen this used in the class room as a way to teach about the Tudors. The children loved it specially as they got to create their own fun fact show using the format of the TV show Horrible Histories. I enjoyed rea ...more
Dane Cobain
Mar 08, 2014 Dane Cobain rated it really liked it
Terry Deary is back again, giving you all of the grizzly, gruesome details that schoolteachers fail to mention. That said, you shouldn't be scared of giving this to a kid - it won't give them nightmares, but it will make them want to learn more, and that's all that really matters.

This time, Deary's work is illustrated by Neil Tonge rather than Martin Brown, but it still maintains the same feel and the same style that you'll be used to if you've read other books in the series. The Terrible Tudors
Carmen
May 18, 2008 Carmen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Now if only history had been this interesting when I was in school! Although I knew most of this information already, I had to chuckle when I read the descriptions given by different ambassadors of Queen Elizabeth I. It really involves the readers when they have all these interactive things, such as : lists of punishments and crimes and you have to match them up. Almost none of them would be considered a crime nowadays. Imagine not wearing a woolen hat? Oh my!

Angela Joyce
Sep 15, 2009 Angela Joyce rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
I laughed so hard at this! My one complaint is that it kept saying Henry VIII "divorced" Catherine of Aragon and Anne of Cleves. He never got a divorce in his life. Divorce was not permitted. He found complicated reasons to ANNUL those marriages, as well as those to Anne Boleyn and Katherine Howard before he had them murdered. Other than that, this book was a real crackup and great for kids with a darker sense of humor.
Rjgolden
The Terrible Tudors is a fun and informational book about the Tudors in Great Britain. As shown by the front cover the humor and language is geared towards an upper elementary or middle school grade. Students would find this information interesting if they are studying about European history, or just want to expand their knowledge about other countries' pasts. I liked to read these when I was younger.
Redfox5
This was abit all over the place, could be hard to follow for those new to Tudor History. As a child I didn't need the Tudors broken down into the most horrible bits to find them interesting. They were my fave hisoty subject at school and still are today. I did rubbish on the quiz though! Got 5/8 on the first bit, 1/10 on Insults (eek!), 9/15 on Mean Queens and 4/10 on Would you Belive It. Back to history class for me! Saving this for when Adelaide is older.
Keely
My love for this series will never end, it was one of the series that really made my love for reading expand. And 18 years later, these books still make me smile. Though there is an incorrect fact in the book though; Anne Boleyn did not have six fingers on her left hand, if she did, do you really think such a materialistic and shallow person as Henry would have chased her for so long?
Tyler
Oct 04, 2007 Tyler rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who want a laugh!
I liked this book because it tells you the ways they lived in the tudor ages of Britain and also all the gory info on how they executed people and all the horrible things they did like dump their human waste in the streets and the ways they tortured people. But the author add in lots of little comics that are pretty funny!
VBergen
Oct 06, 2012 VBergen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, funny
Funny way to present History. A couple of my favorite phrases:
- "The Elizabethan ladies' fashion was for tiny waists. To help them squeeze into smart dresses, the ladies (and even the girls) wore iron corsets".
- "King James I wrote that smoking was 'a custom loathsome to the eye, hateful to the nose, harmful to the brain and dangerous to the loungs'".
Elena
Jan 01, 2013 Elena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite funny information... I wouldn't read it all in one go; it is more of a kind of book you read bit by bit...
Henry's wives, criminals, punishments, tudor schools, witches and lots, lots more!
Elena age 8.
Grace C
Jun 26, 2008 Grace C rated it really liked it
This supposedly children non-fiction on English history is a complete compilation of everything you need to know about Tudor in a glance. It's cleverly written, and check out the sequel, the Even More Terrible Tudor.
Nayantara
Jan 10, 2013 Nayantara rated it really liked it
There is really no better way to get kids interested in history than by giving them a Terry Deary Horrible Histories! I loved these books as a kid and I love to collect them now. Deary's take on history is hilarious and interesting. It may not all be true but you definitely learn something!
  • Blood, Bones and Body Bits
  • Cleopatra and Her Asp
  • Odious Oceans (Horrible Geography)
  • The Very Bloody History of Britain (Without the Boring Bits!)
  • Henry the VIII and His Chopping Block
  • Evolve or Die (Horrible Science)
  • Bloody Tower: The Diary of Tilly Middleton, London, 1553-1559
  • Anne Boleyn and Me: The Diary of Elinor Valjean, London, 1525-1536
A former actor, theatre-director and drama teacher, Deary says he began writing when he was 29. Most famously, he is one of the authors of the Horrible Histories series of books popular among children for their disgusting details, gory information and humorous pictures and among adults for getting children interested in history. Books in the series have been widely translated into other languages ...more
More about Terry Deary...

Horrible Histories (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • The Awesome Egyptians
  • The Groovy Greeks
  • The Rotten Romans
  • The Cut-throat Celts
  • The Vicious Vikings (Horrible Histories)
  • Angry Aztecs
  • The Measly Middle Ages
  • Even More Terrible Tudors (Horrible Histories)
  • The Slimy Stuarts (Horrible Histories)
  • The Vile Victorians