Start by marking “Someone Like You” as Want to Read:
Someone Like You

Someone Like You

Cathy Kelly has enjoyed unprecedented success in the UK and her native Ireland. Building on the popularity of her "Dear Cathy" advice column, Kelly brings to her fiction a warmth and humor that speaks to women everywhere.

Hannah, Emma, and Leonie, three women at critical turning points in their lives, meet on holiday and find themselves changing in unexpected ways. Hannah,
Published May 28th 2002 by Plume Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Someone Like You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Someone Like You

Start your review of Someone Like You
Bree
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit, 2000-2005
I am SO glad to be done with this book. It was an alright book, I guess...I sorta liked the characters and truly wanted them to figure out the problems each of them was facing.

BUT. BUT. So much of it was so ridiculous! Apparently you can take a pregnancy test HOURS after your condom breaks to find out if you are pregnant or not. Who knew?

Ugh, anyway. It just irritated me, the whole book...so much wasn't believable and it just grated on me. Ugh.
Cover  to Cover
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you are a fan of Marian Keyes and Maeve Binchy, you will be delighted to welcome Cathy Kelly to your library. Pour the glass of wine or cup of tea and enjoy your trip to Ireland. The characters and settings were wonderfully detailed and by the end of the book, you felt that pang that comes when a good book ends! I did become frustrated when the characters seemed to make bad choices over and over again - but then I also know many women who are exactly like that. I am delighted to add Cathy Kel ...more
Aaron
Apr 07, 2008 rated it it was ok
If this is officially chick lit, then I guess I don't like it. The characters were a bit too cartoony, the writing annoying, and the story ... well, I guess there was legitimately a story, but it wasn't interesting. I couldn't stand the people. I suffered through more of it than I would have otherwise, because I was away from home and had nothing else to read when I was up late one night.
Emma
Feb 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought
Terry Bourbon
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I needed something light after my last book and this did the trick ! I loved that the women in the story were at different ages and different stages of their lives, and that they each had issues in their lives that needed resolution. It was also nice that they didn't have the same issue, i.e. birds of a feather stick together.

I was picturing the book taking a lot more time in the trip that the ladies met on, but the book was much more heavily weighted in the aftermat
Natasha
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The moral of the story is about friendship and understanding. One of the main themes is bonding and was an amazing book. the brings 3 separate women who have had different stories and backgrounds how they stick together and bond. I really enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to others. :)
Joanie
Aug 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: irish
Yet another book told from the point of view of each individual character. Three women meet on vacation and establish a friendship. It's set in Ireland which I'm always into.
Dory
Aug 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. Just a light, fun read about three friends and their very different lives.
Caroline G'wattage
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
I am a huge fan of Cathy Kelly’ and after reading this 📖 book, l love her more.

Like many of her books, she writes about friendships’ and this book really focuses on that.
Taking the good with the bad, this book points out how weak people can be in the circle of love.
It’s a story’ to make you believe there is always a light qt the end of the tunnel, and with good friends we can achieve happiness.

Someone Like You, has three characters, to fall in love with, Emma, Hannah and Leonie.
Three very differ
Ebehi
Jul 22, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rafaila
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
I like Cathy Kelly's optimism and the fact that she chooses every-day woman as the main book characters with defects and insecurities, that could be any of us (as the tittle very correctly points out!).

If you are looking for just a girly romantic book, or a harlequin, this is not the right choice, this book is much more than this. I think it is more appropriate for female readers, as it seems to understand perfectly the women's psychical world and way of thinking, aiming to help them overcome th
Sue
Feb 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Basic "chick lit" but well done. Not great literature, but I enjoyed it.
Beverly Freese
Jul 17, 2019 rated it liked it
The book was slightly draggy and boring in places. However, many exciting things happened that were extremely unexpected. It is about three women who meet on a cruise in Egypt. Hannah is the control freak and she wants a new job in helping people to find their perfect home. Emma is always controlled by her parents even though she is already 30. Her mother gets alzheimers and she can't afford medical attention while her father refuses to pay for it. Leonie is a divorced mother of 3 and wants to g ...more
Heather
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book - enjoyed all the characters and admired how they went about achieving their dreams. Well worth reading thank you Cathy Kelly for this lovely bookSomeone Like You - it is a true reflection of life. Kind regards, Heather Sporton ...more
Sandra Van Dam
2 stars...it was ok, that's all.
My first Cathy Kelly read. I have more of her books, so I will be reading more in future, but it wasn't that great. Just an easy read that I will forget very soon. Good enough to finish reading though.
Lisa
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very slow to get into - chapters of..... but once the entre hit I was hooked and enjoyed it until the end. I do agree that the ending was too fast, without question true for Hannah. But I found the book very satisfying.
IrishFan
I really enjoyed this one, as I usually do with a Cathy Kelly book. I liked all 3 characters, and their stories moved along nicely and intertwined also. I figured out what would happen, although I was little worried along the way with a couple of the characters.
Julie Tombs
Dec 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a light easily readable book about three women who meet on a holiday and develop a lasting friendship. It deals with relationships, hopes, dreams and although the three characters can sometimes make bad choices I wanted things to come good for them.
Gerdav
Feb 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
I do love a happy ending but, please, - take not bring - it really got to me by the end.....
Steph Lawrence
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I haven't read a Cathy Kelly in years. This one is 15 years old!
A great story of family and friendships.
I'd definitely recommend it
Traci Downs
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book easy read bits that make you laugh and cry
aaliyah Rafeeq
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Really loved this, usual fun and drama!! Read it really quickly over two days!! Goid holiday read
Barbara Bosher
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
It was good but the ending was quite predictable.
Carol Scheherazade
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm only reading jolly irish books from now on. This was a fun read.
Paula Peters
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book

Long winded in places but very easy book to read. Characters well written and a satisfactory ending. Would recommend it.
Jean
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book to take to the cottage for the summer. Well written with a captivating story.
Natalie Niemeyer
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read about the ups and downs of three different women, how they came together as friends!
Shubham Madaan
Jun 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Too Girly book, I did not enjoy it, maybe I was expecting something else.
Adeline Kam
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always my favorite author.....another heart warming story from Cathy Kelly.
Norabee
Sep 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chick lit fans, fans of irish fiction, fans of Marian Keyes, Maeve Binchy
Meet a Stranger…Make Friends for Life!

Emma. Hannah and Leonie meet on an Egyptian cruise and find the bonds of true friendship that will last long after the ship docks. After everyone goes back to their real lives, they stay in touch. Although each life is different, Cathy Kelly finds innovative ways to blend their stories. I enjoyed this book and liked the characters. This was long book, but in a good way. In the way that really good novels keep your interest and you can imagine being friends w
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Jemima J
  • Getting Over It
  • Yours, Faithfully
  • The Other Side of the Story
  • Watermelon (Walsh Family, #1)
  • Bookends
  • The Third Wedding
  • With or Without You
  • Lucy Sullivan Is Getting Married
  • Nadia Knows Best
  • Thirtynothing
  • Sushi for Beginners
  • Rachel's Holiday (Walsh Family, #2)
  • Asking for Trouble
Born in Belfast but raised in Dublin, Cathy initially worked for thirteen years as a newspaper journalist with a national Irish Sunday newspaper, where she worked in news, features, along with spending time as an agony aunt and the paper’s film critic. However, her overwhelming love was always fiction and she published her first international bestseller, Woman To Woman, in 1997. She did not become ...more