Start by marking “Poems: Three Series, Complete” as Want to Read:
Poems: Three Series, Complete

Poems: Three Series, Complete

(Poems by Emily Dickinson #1-3)

The complete three volumes of poetry by Emily Dickinson. Including Epigrams, Letters to Susan Gilbert, and her Black Cake Recipe. Edited by Robert John Mestre
Published June 6th 1998 (first published 1890)

To ask other readers questions about Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poems

Start your review of Poems: Three Series, Complete
Emer (A Little Haze)
I was perusing through the Project Gutenberg website the other day and stumbled across this collection of poems by Emily Dickinson.
I must confess my utter ignorance when it comes to knowledge of Dickinson's poetry. My knowledge of her works begins and ends with 'Hope is the thing with feathers' so this was a thoroughly new reading experience for me.

Of the three collections [series one, series two and series three] I definitely preferred series two over
H.A. Leuschel
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'A word is dead
when it is said,
Some say.
I say it just
Begins to live
That day.'

Timeless, tender and emotional. Emily Dickinson's poems can be read again and again without getting tired of them. I certainly will and have found many of them soothing, others light as air and some thought-provoking and emotional.
Anusha Narasimhan
Phew! It took me two whole months to finish this book, but it was well worth reading it. Did I love every single poem in the collection? Not really. In fact, many of them were not my cup of tea or didn't really impress me much. However, there were a few gems that stood out and touched my soul. Emily Dickinson may not be my favourite poet, but I do hope to reread this book soon.
Nikki
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
I read these poems via Serial Reader, which actually turned out to be a good way to make sure I really paid attention. Sometimes, if I try to read a book of poetry at a single sitting, I find that they start to just blur past me. This way, I had more concentration for each individual poem, which helped me appreciate them more. Emily Dickinson isnt my favourite poet, and I really wanted to give her work a chance.

I did enjoy some of these poems, but for me the regularity of the poems is a
Elaine
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics, 3-stars, kindle
As a person who hasn't read poetry since school forced me to, Emily Dickinson will always evoke memories of "Because I could not stop for Death/He kindly stopped for me..." thanks to English 1102. It's interesting to finally pick up a poet's compendium and see all that's been written by that person.

This collection made me think of painters and their "blue periods," since Miss Dickinson returned time and again to themes of religion, death, love, marriage and even bees. A lot of her poems are
Trish
I may have read some Emily Dickinson when I was at uni, but certainly not since then. However, as her poetry has come up several times in other books I've read, including Crime and Poetry and, most recently, A Killer Crop, I took it as a sign that I should (re?)read some of it.

I loved pretty much all the "First Series". Apart from HOPE (Hope is the thing with feathers -
That perches in the soul -..."), I found the "Second Series" a bit repetitive, although there are some lovely poems in the
Lawona
Feb 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poems

This is the first I have read anything by Emily Dickinson and loved it. This is a great book to sit with a loved one and share which poems are each others favorites.
Stacy
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dickinson's poems reminded me a bit of Mary Oliver's, or I suppose that I should say that Oliver reminds me of Dickinson. Both write quite a bit about nature and love. They also have a similar style using as few as words as possible. There were quite a few poems that I loved. Here's one for book lovers.

A Book

He ate and drank the precious words,
His spirit grew robust;
He knew no more that he was poor,
Nor that his frame was dust.
He danced along the dingy days,
And this bequest of wings
Was but a
Bernie Gourley
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Three series are collected into one volume. Each series is organized into four parts: Life, Love, Nature, and Time & Eternity. The connection between these themes and the verse contained therein is generally clear, and the latter category is largely concerned with deatha popular topic for Dickinson. While Dickinson is known for being morose, her poems often manage to be both playful and dark at the same time. The best example of this odd combo of grim / playfulness may be one of her most ...more
T.Kay Browning
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I really start feeling that all poetry is the same, some random abstractness that depends on mood and shifting styles for popularity, rather than substance and quality. And then I read Emily Dickinson and realize that, no matter the mystery that surrounds her, the darkness of her life, the style of the times or how she captured the "national mood" Emily Dickinson just wrote amazing poetry. I don't know a lot about rhyme schemes or poetical forms, all I know is that, often with as few ...more
Kimberly
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, serial-reader
My first finished read for November! Serial Reader was a great way to read this collection of poems since I tend to read poetry in snippets anyway. But I may have to purchase a physical copy because I found myself wanting to flip back and forth between the "pages" on numerous occasions. Emily Dickinson covered just about every lifetime experience from love to war to nature to religion and more. There's something here for everyone.
Akash Goel
Some of the poems were exquisite. But by and large, this is a collection of poems in praise of nature (with an odd affliction to anorexic birds).
Dan
May 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Ms Dickinson sure loves death.

There was *a lot* of poems in this collection. I found several of them very interesting, but many of them were just not for me. There were several times where I was about to abandon the collection, but then I suddenly stumbled across a poem that really struck with me.

My favorite poem was probably "If the foolish, call them 'flowers'", which is essentially saying that scholars should stop being aloof arrogant dicks. In a slightly nicer way.
Travis Bughi
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Im good on this one. I got about halfway through, so not all of her poems, but Im comfortable with what I was able to absorb. I was impressed with her ability to make her writing so dense. If there was ever a definition of wordsmith, Dickinson would definitely fall into that category. She is worthy of all the praise shes received, and then some. If I were more of a poetry man, I would have devoured this entire thing. ...more
Dafni
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic collection of poems around love, life, nature and death.

We never know we go, when we are going
   We jest and shut the door;
Fate following behind us bolts it,
   And we accost no more.
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I particularly like the flow and rhythms of her poetry. I found that the poems about nature were the ones that I liked the most. particularly the ones about the seasons. I felt that one could feel the limitations her life and times put on her from the poems.
Sabrina Hansen
im not much of a poetry gal. There were too many poems in this for me, BUT.... i would definitely learn about all the meanings and stuff. Some of them i even liked.
Ciaran McLarnon
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspired work.

A very formidable body of work, some excellent poems and interesting thoughts. Definitely a must for anyone who reads poetry.
Píaras Cíonnaoíth
Absolutely love this poet...she inspired me to write my own!
Ira
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Bland.
Reading her poems felt like eating boiled rice without salt.
Ethar
Jun 07, 2014 rated it liked it
I HAVE NO LIFE BUT THIS
I have no Life but this
To lead it here
Nor any Death but lest
Dispelled from there

Nor tie to Earths to come
Nor Action new
Except through this extent
The Realm of you

BEQUEST
You left me, sweet, two legacies, --
A legacy of love
A Heavenly Father would content,
Had He the offer of;
You left me boundaries of pain
Capacious as the sea,
Between eternity and time,
Your consciousness and me

THE MYSTERY OF PAIN
Pain has an element of blank;
It cannot recollect
When it began, or if there
Shannon Yarbrough
Dec 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
While it is an excellent and thorough collection of Emily's poetry, I highly suggest you read it in small doses. Those who prefer some of her shorter verse or some of the more morbid stuff about death, should skip right to Book 3. Or if you prefer to skip around, use the superb Index which is organized by the first line of each poem.

You should also understand the importance of this text for it is really where everything we know about Emily and her poetry stemmed from.

Prior to her death, less
Sara
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sara by: Jennifer Donnelly
Poetry must be read slowly and savoured properly. Although English is my L1, I still struggle to fully understand the connotations of each word, the hidden meaning between the lines. There are many poems in this book that I didn't understand, and I just skimmed past them.

I realise I tend to like the poems that I actually understand, or manage to feel something through the words. For instance, there is this verse which goes...
Because I could not stop for Death,
He kindly stopped for me
Death is
Nikki
Honestly many of the poems in this compilation were not enjoyed by me, some in fact made very little sense to me. I do not know if the disconnect was the time period difference or it just not connecting with me as a reader. Some of the poems were very vague and had we known what she was referencing it would have made a great deal of difference. Also, it seems as though Emily was quite fond of bees and god references, I found this strange.

My favorites:
If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall
Bruna
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, ebook, read-2015
I don't feel equipped to judge and/or review poetry, so I'll just try to register my overall thoughts.

This wasn't exactly "fun", but a valid reading experience and a nice step out of my YA/regular novels comfort zone. Dickinson explores themes like Death and Faith in subtle and symbolic ways, and while I could not fully comprehend all of the poems in this compendium, the ones I did were intriguing and sparked recognition within my own feelings. This is something I might want to revisit in the
Deanna
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Dickinson is someone I need to read in small doses interspersed with other poetry. And also, I would seem to prefer an edited best-of selection. Reading this was flashes of joy interspersed with a grinding weariness with persistent theme and tone and, frankly, antiquity that doesn't always translate to contemporary sensibility. I can snuggle in with Shakespeare, but apparently not so much with Dickinson.
Cara
3.5

Because I could not stop for Death,
He kindly stopped for me;
The carriage held but just ourselves
And Immortality.

I was surprised by how beautiful and fresh Dickinson's poetry felt to me. From the simplistic, yet abstract way she describes everyday phenomenons, materials and images...I ended up enjoying the majority of poems in the collection.
Ryan
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emily Dickinson contemplates everything.

Well composed poems that describe life and existence in very condensed prose. There is so much to digest with each poem. I enjoyed this collection of poems and if you like poetry that makes you contemplate everything, I recommend Emily Dickinson. My one complaint with her poetry is how fixated she is about bees, but that's minor.
Manal
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
"Good-by to the life I used to live, And the world I used to know; And kiss the hills for me, just once; Now I am ready to go!"

I loved Emily since I had a course of American poetry for that I decided to read her poems. I liked this edition because its neat in sections.
it depends on what kind of poetry you like for that you might enjoy some of hers.
Matt Miles
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What tips Dickinson's poems into the category of some of my favorites is that the language and rhythm she uses gives life to any subject-- nature, love, and even death. There's a strange insight to these poems, but what will bring me back to them is how full the tiny worlds of her poems are, how gloriously alive. Friends, some classics are classics for a reason. Check this one out.

• Six Centuries of English Poetry from Tennyson to Chaucer: Typical Selections from the Great Poets (1892)
  • Words
  • Growth
  • A Small Town: A Novel of Crime
  • Lose weight: Shortcuts to quick weight loss (Brilliant Little Ideas)
  • Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure
  • The 7-Day Doubt Diet
  • A Course In Weight Loss: 21 Spiritual Lessons for Surrendering Your Weight Forever
  • A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies
  • De Mythe Van Lebak
  • Dream Work
  • The Name of the Game
  • Fear of Dying
Emily Dickinson was an American poet who, despite the fact that less than a dozen of her nearly eighteen hundred poems were published during her lifetime, is widely considered one of the most original and influential poets of the 19th century.

Dickinson was born to a successful family with strong community ties, she lived a mostly introverted and reclusive life. After she studied at the Amherst

Poems by Emily Dickinson (4 books)
  • Poems by Emily Dickinson, Series One