Start by marking “Madigan Mine” as Want to Read:
Madigan Mine

Madigan Mine

Alex doesn't know what he wants to do, how to connect with people or what's good for him. He drifts his way through dead-end jobs and fumbled relationships, unable to find a way out of the rut his life has become. Then he runs into Madigan Sargood and everything changes.

A ray of light shining from an almost-forgotten past, Madigan is beautiful and impulsive, enigmatic and
Published July 1st 2010 by Picador (Pan Macmillan Australia)

To ask other readers questions about Madigan Mine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Madigan Mine

Start your review of Madigan Mine
David
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Madigan Mine came out it was nominated for a number of awards, and received a great deal of critical acclaim. When you read it, you will see why. Madigan Mine works on a number of levels, and I was able to enjoy it immensely both as a reader and a writer.

A gripping tale of psychological disintegration, Madigan Mine deals with grief, obsession and how love can be used against someone. It’s not for the faint hearted; visceral and confronting, it pulls no punches as we see exactly how far
Kylie Fox
Mar 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Once in a while a book comes along that is so beautifully written, so perfectly crafted that it leaves you with a serious case of envy – word envy that is.

Such is the case with Kirstyn McDermott’s “Madigan Mine”. The characters are so rich and believable, the world you are transported into so whole and multi-dimensional and the very mood of the book so tangible that, as a reader, there is never a moment, from start to glorious finish, that you are taken out of the story, reminded that you are
kari
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been wondering why all the reviews are about love. Sure, there is love and romance in this book. But most importantly, there's Madigan - and within her, a powerful, detailed deconstruction of a manipulative mind. I was amazed at how McDermott managed to show Madigan's workings, her ruthlessness, gaslighting, her own narrative, and still make her a real person, with her own doubts, experiences and sadness. Yet, there's nothing to suggest that Madigan's surroundings shaped her entirely; ...more
Emily Crow
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm not going to say anything about the plot because I went into this book knowing almost nothing about it and that totally increased my enjoyment of all the weird, crazy things that it delivered. Almost anything would have been a spoiler. I thought it was a thriller about some sort of messed up obsessive love gone wrong, and it was, but also so much better than that. This book completely exhausted me, from the intensity and pure hatefulness that is Madigan and my terror that she would triumph ...more
Mark Webb
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This review forms part of my contribution to theAustralian Women Writers 2012 Reading Challenge. All my AWWC reviews can be foundhere.

I'm not a big reader of horror, not because of any kind of strong dislike of the genre but I find that horror novels seldom make it to the top of my reading list.Madigan Mine by Kirstyn McDermottmakes me think that I'll have to be more active in trying to find good quality horror - I really enjoyed this book.

I hadn't read much about the story before picking up the
Tsana Dolichva
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Madigan Mine by Kirstyn McDermott is the author's first novel but I have previously reviewed her second (unrelated) novel, Perfections. I think the blurb (on the actual cover, rather than what Goodreads thinks the blurb is) of this one sums it up quite nicely:

When Alex Bishop meets Madigan Sargood again after twelve years apart, everything changes. His childhood sweetheart is beautiful and impulsive, but there is something wrong with her. Something dangerous. Then she commits suicide.

Now Alex
Karen
Oct 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
I don't read a lot of Fantasy - Dark or not, but luckily I've been steered in the right direction when I have picked up one of these books - and MADIGAN MINE is no exception. What was even more startling is that this is a first book, yet it's very assured, cleverly paced and quite engaging.

This book is the story of Alex Bishop who meets up with his childhood friend Madigan Sargood after many years apart. A very intense love affair follows, with tensions over friendships, time spent together and
S.B. Wright
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Madigan Mine is Kirstyn McDermott’s first novel[1]. It’s won an Aurealis and a Chronos award and has been nominated for an Australian Shadows award and a Ditmar. Frankly, that’s because it deserves it.

I think if a writer can take you from thinking the main character is an annoying, whiney, pain in the backside, that needs to, as Chopper [2] would say “Harden the @!?! up”, to rooting for him - then they have a rare talent.

The Story

Now I am not going to elaborate on the story, spoilers will kill
Susan Barton
Alex and Madigan were childhood friends since kindergarten – until Madigan’s family suddenly moved away. Alex is thrilled to bump into Madigan again years later when they’re both in their twenties. They renew their relationship, but this time it’s become a dark and warped romance. After a violent argument, Madigan leaves a relieved Alex. But when he learns of Madigan’s suicide he becomes more involved with Madigan than he ever thought possible.

I chose this book because of its description. The
Mick
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror-fiction
This book begins with a suicide, or rather the immediate aftermath of one, and it doesn't get happier from there. It's a book about grief, obsession, and horror. It's definitely not for the faint of heart, or for those who want a typical ghost story.

The story follows Alex Bishop, a Melbourne 20-something who struggles to cope with the loss of childhood friend and adulthood flame, Madigan Sargood. Alex is a terrific character, real and distinct. While I found him unlikable at the beginning of
Tehani
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: australian, horror
Alex Bishop has had his heart broken and his life twisted up in knots by Madigan Sargood. Childhood friends, adult lovers, Madigan’s reappearance in Alex’s life causes havoc, throwing him into chaos and causing him to question his own values and beliefs. Then Madigan commits suicide and Alex doesn’t know how he’s supposed to feel, or why he is driven to find out the reason why. And why he can’t get Madigan out of his head. Literally.

I didn’t know what to expect from this book. Kirstyn McDermott
Celia
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've tagged this as horror, because that seems to be how it's marketed, but that's not really how I thought of it - it's a dark story, definitely, a disturbing story in parts, but horror? I don't know. I'm not exactly a horror reader, so I'm not sure what the markers of a horror story would be. I picked it up because I love listening to Kirstyn on the Writer and the Critic podcast - and I have a fairly good track record with progressing from thinking an author seems interesting to enjoying ...more
Maree Kimberley
Nov 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: aww2013
I want to rate this 3 & half stars. Madigan Mine is a page turner, although I think I don't scare as easily as some of the other reviewers because it didn't worry me to read it late at night. It's a fast-paced read, but the author doesn't overwhelm with too much action at once and is skilled at giving the reader a breather every now and then, which is important in a psychological thriller.

The flashbacks were handled really well, and I liked the dream/memory sequences where Alex, the main
Alisha Brook
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3andahalf-stars
Title: Madigan Mine
Series: -
Author: Kirstyn McDermott
Genre: Psychological Thriller
Rating: 3.5 stars

A very intriguing read, and a very nice debut by Kirstyn McDermott.

It's a psychological horror basically put, that shows just how controlling love can be.

The story begins at the aftermath of a suicide, the suicide of Madigan, and it really doesn't get any happier from there. Alex, while struggling through grief, tries to find the answers to why Madigan committed suicide, uncovering a whole
Roslyn
Mar 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that you just have to rate 5 stars even though you can't give it a blanket recommendation! The book crosses the line from dark fantasy to horror/psychological thriller and I usually avoid the latter. If I'd known how masterfully creepy it is, I might not have read it. And I did find it really creepy and disturbing. Other reviewers have commented that it's not for the faint at heart, and I completely agree . The problem was that once I began reading it, I couldn't stop. ...more
Amra Pajalic
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ozauthor
Madigan Mine is a supernatural thriller. Alex Bishop is reunited with his first love Madigan Sargood and after she commits suicide he is haunted. McDermott creates a tense atmosphere as Alex and Madigan’s love affair is revealed. There is a creeping sense of dread and suspense as McDermott takes the reader through twists and turns. I loved not knowing where it was going and constantly being surprised as I turned each page.

As I was getting ready for bed one night while reading the book I stood in
Cara
Jun 09, 2010 rated it liked it

A fiercely dark novel of love, possession and jealously. Strong and passionate characters bring this story to vivid realization demonstrating the dangers in an unconditional love that leaves you blind to all flaws. Madigan is impulsive, reckless and unstable and as a character makes for a compelling villain.

Flawlessly written and thoroughly enjoyable, Madigan Mine will hold large appeal for any reader that loves a dark, compulsively readable mystery/thriller with gripping characters and a
Marie
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
One of my favourite reads of 2016 so far. Madigan Mine is a creepy, absorbing story of abuse and control, and Madigan herself might be the best antagonist I've read in a long while. Certainly it will be a while before I get her out of my head...

McDermott does an excellent job of raising the stakes bit by bit (or revealling how high the stakes have already become). The Point of No Return (no spoilers!) was very well done, the execution more than making up for the slightly out-of-place naivety of
Narrelle
Jun 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, australian
Deserving of all its nominations and awards, Madigan Mine is a fabulous book of creeping horror. It begins as a story of two messed up people being self-centred and destructive about being in love. It ends up with the destruction falling like doom upon everyone, the result of a warped and vicious mistaken idea of what love means. Kirstyn McDermott brings a chilling eye to a creepy and abominable love story. I can't wait for her next book!
Karen Brooks
Oct 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a masterful book, written in crisp, clear prose that captures the possessive relationship of Lexi and Madigan in a chilling and yet, for a supernatural narrative, oh so real way. The characters are beautifully realized as is the love-hate relationship and the creeping awareness that death is not an end... I could not put this down.
Christine Bongers
Aug 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aussie-adult
Kirstyn McDermott's debut novel is a beautifully crafted, compulsively readable story of obsessive love and possession. Gothic thriller fans will love its spiraling journey from the dark recesses of the human psyche into the realms of the supernatural. I loved its damn fine writing. A pleasure to read. A writer to watch.
Michelle
Jan 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very, very disturbing and a compelling read. Recommended for fans of beautifully written horror.
ROSE HATHAWAY
Feb 15, 2014 rated it liked it
It was okay. Could've been better.
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
not on overdrive
Kim Wilkins
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written. Strange and lovely all at once.
Paige Mcwilliam
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Was an interesting story line and written well. At times i felt it was a little to sinister, and had to put the book down to shake off the mood.
Kate Gordon
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this even more than I remembered!
Alan Baxter
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Beautifully written and excellently constructed, this is a powerful story. Highly recommended.
Judy
Nov 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014
I thought this book was silly and not so well written. I did not like it.
J.C. Hart
Nov 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
I devoured this book! It was a great read, really easy to get into and lose yourself in.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kirstyn McDermott is an Australian author of two award-winning novels, Madigan Mine and Perfections, as well as a collection of short fiction, Caution: Contains Small Parts. Until recently, she produced and co-hosted a literary discussion podcast, The Writer and the Critic, and is currently undertaking a creative PhD at Federation University with a research focus on retold fairy tales.