Start by marking “I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections” as Want to Read:
I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections

I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  17,052 Ratings  ·  2,398 Reviews
Nora Ephron returns with her first book since the astounding success of I Feel Bad About My Neck, taking a cool, hard, hilarious look at the past, the present, and the future, bemoaning the vicissitudes of modern life, and recalling with her signature clarity and wisdom everything she hasn’t (yet) forgotten.

Ephron writes about falling hard for a way of life (“Journalism: A
Published November 9th 2010 by Knopf (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about I Remember Nothing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Remember Nothing

Diane
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs, humorous, essays
Nora Ephron died a few days ago, and one of the first things I did after reading her obituary was to get this book from the library. It's a delightful read, filled with great quotes and essays about things like getting her start in journalism, what it's like having a movie flop, having a meatloaf dish named after her, getting addicted to online Scrabble games and how forgetful she has become.

The book is slight -- only 135 pages -- and some of the stories are only a few pages long, but I was utt
Robin
Nov 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fluffy and delightful.

"You always think that a bolt of lightning is going to strike and your parents will magically change into the people you wish they were, or back into the people they used to be. But they're never going to. And even though you know they're never going to, you still hope they will." (p.51)

"And every time one of my friends says to me, "Everything happens for a reason," I would like to smack her." (p.129)
Carol
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I purchased this book last year. I put in down on a table piled high with books, and then Nora Ephron died. I didn't pick it up until a few weeks ago.I unearthed it, and read it slowly, knowing that it would (barring posthumous publishings) be the last new and original book by her I would read. When I was first married and living in New York, I read her sister's book "How to Eat Like a Child." I related. I continued to read books by Delia and Nora Ephron. I had friends who knew the same people s ...more
❀Julie
Dec 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, audiobook
I don’t have a lot to say about I Remember Nothing after gushing over I Feel Bad About My Neck. There were some mildly amusing parts but listening to the two audiobooks back-to-back I noticed her voice lacked the playful tone that added to that one, which made this one seem more solemn. Although it didn’t have the same vibe to me I still enjoyed it very much because it was more of a glimpse into her personal life and there is so much to be learned from her wisdom and insightfulness. The “What I ...more
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
The fabulous Nora Ephron wrote this at 69, two years before her premature death from complications from leukemia. It's a short book, a collection of anecdotes about her life, thoughts on things that annoy her and how it feels to be getting old. Although she doesn't mention her health, she alludes to it when she lists things that she will and won't miss after she passes on, and thanks her doctors at the end.

Nora is - was - a wonderful writer and she can tell stories that don't amount to much in
Melanie Storie
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Three of Nora Ephron's movies are on my list of top favorite movies of all time. I remember watching "Sleepless in Seattle" in high school and just falling in love with it. After that, any time I broke up with a guy, I would watch "Sleepless in Seattle" to remind myself that there was probably a Tom Hanks out there somewhere for me and there was but his name is Matt. When I heard Nora Ephron died, I made my husband and sons sit down and watch "You've Got Mail" with me and we all laughed and love ...more
ML
Jan 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Nora Ephron is clever and observant - and sometimes surprisingly wise - as in her essay about the impossible demands placed on children of divorce. As for laughing, I enjoyed most "The O Word" (O for Old).
My only LOL moment, however, came from the catalog designation: this book has been categorized as wit and humor about "Middle-aged women". "Middle-Aged"? The book is all about being OLD.
Sarina Bowen
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Reviewers are correct that there is a great deal of overlap with I Feel Bad About My Neck. But I love Nora Ephron, and had fun reading it nonetheless.
britt_brooke
“And I survived. My religion is Get Over It.”

I have a weakness for nonfiction essays, especially ones that make me feel like we’re all human, it’s cool, we all have shit. I enjoyed these snippets of Ephron’s personal and professional life and her random observations on the modern world. Written in 2010, it’s a little dated, but still relatable. Her audio narration is flawless; her humor perfectly deadpan.
Bonnie
“On some level, my life has been wasted on me. After all, if I can’t remember it, who can? The past is slipping away and the present is a constant affront.”

I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections, Ephron’s last essay collection published before her death in 2012, touches on the tragedy of aging and is probably not something that I could fully appreciate only being in my 30s (but I still loved it). She discusses becoming forgetful, about physical changes, but she touches on stories from her l
Kristina
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Eh.
This book is a collection of blandly interesting anecdotes about Ephron's life. The kind of blandly interesting anecdotes you tell friends over dinner (and they do not feel obliged to repeat), not the kind that turn into juicy, zesty, jaw-dropping books. I can only imagine the meeting with her editor.

Editor: We want you to write a book about your life.

Ephron: I'm in the middle of something.

Editor: Okay, make it short. Just write anything down. People know who you are. They've seen When Ha
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"

Not particularly funny, but still pretty interesting. I enjoy little autobiographical snapshots in essay form. There's probably more namedropping here than in any book I've ever read, but the Ephron girls grew up around so many famous people that they might not recognize namedropping when they do it.
Kathy
Feb 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
So far she seems to be describing ME! Quick read for those of us getting older and not liking it one bit!!!
Anne HS
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The title is misleading because Nora Ephron regales us with lots of entertaining reminiscences and delightful anecdotes in her razor-sharp witty style. There are so many quotable passages I could have highlighted most of the book by the end. So sad there won't be any more.
Michelle
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
I was expecting something different, so I rated it "it was ok" because it didn't deliver to my expectations. After laughing throughout "I Feel Bad About My Neck", (and Sleepless in Seattle and When Harry Met Sally) and having so many "Oh yeah! Me too!" moments, I wasn't pleasantly surprised to realize this book is more of a memoir, and Nora fills it with references to lots of people I probably should be impressed about, but instead I felt I was joining in on a stranger's conversation (make that ...more
Cindy
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
News of her death prompted me to choose this book, a series of essays on growing old(er), though she died too young at 69. I probably enjoyed it more than the average reader since I am nearing that age myself and it is reassuring to know that I'm not the only one dealing with memory issues...even famous, successful, wealthy people suffer too! Her writing is witty and down-to-earth.
Alex O'Brien
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Charming and funny reflections on aging, the frustrations of modern life, the memory of her mother, the misery of divorce, the joy of becoming a journalist, Christmases with friends, and facing death. Ephron manages to give life to her life in very few words and throws in several good recipes to boot.
Simon Howard
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is delightful.

It's a short book, full (mainly) of short anecdotes and reflections on events in Nora Ephron's life. Sometimes, these take the form of full-on autobiographical anecdotes, such as her story of how she got into journalism. Others are just straight-out opinions, such as her six stages of her relationship with email. All are joyously funny; some are also quite touching. The whole gives a real sense of Ephron as a person. And the quality of the writing throughout is just sublime.

So
Autumn
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just love her.
Jack
Sep 02, 2012 rated it liked it
I got this ebook from the library because the one about her neck wasn't available. I was sad when Nora died. She was one of those great New York dames who was always just so alive and opinionated about it all. And, Jesus, talk about accomplished. While reading Nora's obit I realized that I had never read any of her prose and so figured why not. I love that I could get it online from my library. How cool is that? A thrill like stealing. The book is quixotic and charming. -Why quixotic? I don't kn ...more
Sterlingcindysu
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Now realize this is a memoir and it's called, "I remember nothing." I thought it would be ironic, that she HAD remembered alot, but no. If you like poor little rich girls whining, this is for you...sorry, I can't muster much sympathy for a girl who waltzes into a job at Newsweek, meets famous people and doesn't remember anyting about them and complains about only getting $40K as a surprise inheritance. To add insult to injury, then there's a chapter about her "flops", remember these are movies s ...more
Chelsey
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Like eating chocolate or taking long hot baths, Nora Ephron is a comfort to me. She may not make any grandiose statements about life, but her thoughts are clever, honest and have the perfect amount of bite. Knowing this was the last collection she wrote before her death, and the fact that the book ends with two lists she wrote (knowing she was sick) entitled "What I Won't Miss" and "What I Will Miss" brought a tear to my eye. This woman is simply wonderful, and I'll have what she's having.
Rebecca Foster
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of Ephron’s delightful recollections about aging, memory, coping with new technology, ridiculous food fads, marriage and divorce, writing, filmmaking and – especially here – her early love of journalism. Not quite so laugh-out-loud funny as I Feel Bad About My Neck , or so wry and bittersweet as Heartburn , but still a delicious read that will fly by.
Julia
May 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I've only known of Nora Ephron as a writer of films, and I had enjoyed "When Harry Met Sally". So I was very surprised and disappointed that I never laughed once at this slim volume of her "reflections". The entire atmosphere she breathed seemed to be the shallow one of the wealthy, so the 23 small vignettes here came across as some of the most self-centered pieces I've ever read.

My favorite essayist is Kurt Vonnegut, who can make me laugh and think at the same time. Ephron does neither for me.
Kira
Jan 16, 2012 rated it did not like it
One of Nora Ephron’s strengths has always been relating to women’s insecurities, turning them into truisms and letting us all laugh. Still being in my 20s, I can’t personally identify with a lot of Ephron’s more recent work—my neck is still aesthetically acceptable—but I can say that her attitude towards aging has made me comfortable with the idea. She reassures me that it’s okay to laugh at the awkward hilarity that is growing older. But it seems like between 2006 and 2010, Ephron went from amu ...more
Charlie Kramer
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start this review with a statement that has never been truer; I am biased when it comes to Nora Ephron. Every rom com author on the planet wants to be just like Nora, or should I say write just like Nora.

If you haven’t realised - Nora Ephron is my hero. She possesses an unequalled talent and has penned some very famous romantic comedies including When Harry Met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle and You’ve Got Mali. Just to name a few.

I Remember Nothing is a series of reflections by Nora on dif
Ivonne Rovira
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, of course!
I couldn’t help but be saddened by I Remember Nothing, as it is Nora Ephron’s final book. I was fortunate enough to listen to the audio version, which was read by Ephron herself — making the book even more special. Listening to her voice, it was impossible to believe she was really dead.

While not as fabulous as Ephron’s Scribble, Scribble: Notes on the Media or I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman, I Remember Nothing is a worthy valedictory, and it contains some great ge
Allie
Nov 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I joined the Nora Ephron party way too late. I'm happy to finally be here, however.

I found her stories to be hilarious and her narration so dry and spot on. I quickly looked her up online to see what else I could get my hands on and was very sad to learn she died in 2012. It's really special to be able to listen to an author read their own work after they've passed on. I'm glad she left this for the world.

Her short stories and essays were humorous and touching. There was a point I almost cried
Valerie
Ephron is worth listening to as an audio book--several times, as I will--as her comic timing is subtle and flawless. Her opening gambit as the dotty old forgetful bat quickly gives way to the most observant person in the room, concerned with the myriad slights and injustices of everyday passive/aggressive encounters. (The "Let me just say" series on restaurant meals!) It's clear that Jerry Seinfeld's work owes an large debt to Ephron. (The wry commentary on everyday life fused to a clear-eyed se ...more
Jody
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much. I have always loved Nora's richness, relatability, honesty and humor. This memoir is extremely poignant especially knowing she knew she was sick at the time pen went to paper...I will miss her words.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #116 I Remember Nothing by Nora Ephron 1 2 Sep 14, 2015 09:04PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: I Remember Nothing, by Nora Ephron 1 2 May 29, 2013 10:28AM
  • Sister Mother Husband Dog: Etc.
  • About Alice
  • Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake
  • Reading My Father
  • My Kitchen Wars
  • JFK Jr., George, & Me: A Memoir
  • New Life, No Instructions
  • Fiction Ruined My Family: A Memoir
  • Det är något som inte stämmer
  • At Large and at Small: Familiar Essays
  • More Baths, Less Talking (Stuff I've Been Reading #4)
  • Complete Poems
  • What Falls Away: A Memoir
  • Diamond in the Rough: A Memoir
  • Shiksa Goddess
  • Meet Me at Emotional Baggage Claim
  • Life Itself
  • Treatise on Elegant Living
Nora Ephron was an American film director, producer, screenwriter, novelist, and blogger.

She was best known for her romantic comedies and is a triple nominee for the Academy Award for Writing Original Screenplay; for Silkwood, When Harry Met Sally... and Sleepless in Seattle. She sometimes wrote with her sister, Delia Ephron.
More about Nora Ephron

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Penguin Lessons
    $12.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $1.99
“I am living in the Google years, no question of that. And there are advantages to it. When you forget something, you can whip out your iPhone and go to Google. The Senior Moment has become the Google moment, and it has a much nicer, hipper, younger, more contemporary sound, doesn't it? By handling the obligations of the search mechanism, you almost prove you can keep up....

You can't retrieve you life (unless you're on Wikipedia, in which case you can retrieve an inaccurate version of it).”
33 likes