Start by marking “I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections” as Want to Read:
I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections

I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  21,058 ratings  ·  2,820 reviews
Nora Ephron returns with her first book since the astounding success of I Feel Bad About My Neck, taking a cool, hard, hilarious look at the past, the present, and the future, bemoaning the vicissitudes of modern life, and recalling with her signature clarity and wisdom everything she hasn’t (yet) forgotten.

Ephron writes about falling hard for a way of life (“Journalism: A
Published November 9th 2010 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about I Remember Nothing, please sign up.
Carol Absolutely. It's a very interesting look at how your life changes as you age.

·  21,058 ratings  ·  2,820 reviews

Start your review of I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections
Diane
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs, essays, humorous
Nora Ephron died a few days ago, and one of the first things I did after reading her obituary was to get this book from the library. It's a delightful read, filled with great quotes and essays about things like getting her start in journalism, what it's like having a movie flop, having a meatloaf dish named after her, getting addicted to online Scrabble games and how forgetful she has become.

The book is slight -- only 135 pages -- and some of the stories are only a few pages long, but I was utt
Carole
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I Remember Nothing by Nora Ephron is what a reader has come to expect of this writer. This is the second time I have enjoyed this book and it is especially enjoyable as an audiobook, read by the author. Ephron passed away a few years after the writing of these essays and knowing this makes the subject matter even more poignant. As usual, her points of view are tinged with a healthy helping of tongue-in-cheek scepticism. It is a review of her interesting life: the good (successful movies), the ba ...more
Robin
Nov 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fluffy and delightful.

"You always think that a bolt of lightning is going to strike and your parents will magically change into the people you wish they were, or back into the people they used to be. But they're never going to. And even though you know they're never going to, you still hope they will." (p.51)

"And every time one of my friends says to me, "Everything happens for a reason," I would like to smack her." (p.129)
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I purchased this book last year. I put in down on a table piled high with books, and then Nora Ephron died. I didn't pick it up until a few weeks ago.I unearthed it, and read it slowly, knowing that it would (barring posthumous publishings) be the last new and original book by her I would read. When I was first married and living in New York, I read her sister's book "How to Eat Like a Child." I related. I continued to read books by Delia and Nora Ephron. I had friends who knew the same people s ...more
Lisa
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, essays
[3+] A light and warm hearted collection of reflections. I enjoyed listening to and chuckling along with Nora. But the title is apt for my experience - this is not a memorable book.
❀Julie
Dec 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, audiobook
I don’t have a lot to say about I Remember Nothing after gushing over I Feel Bad About My Neck. There were some mildly amusing parts but listening to the two audiobooks back-to-back I noticed her voice lacked the playful tone that added to that one, which made this one seem more solemn. Although it didn’t have the same vibe to me I still enjoyed it very much because it was more of a glimpse into her personal life and there is so much to be learned from her wisdom and insightfulness. The “What I ...more
Britta Böhler
Re-reading this, it made me so sad that this was Ephron's last work, and that she died only two years after the publication.
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
The fabulous Nora Ephron wrote this at 69, two years before her premature death from complications from leukemia. It's a short book, a collection of anecdotes about her life, thoughts on things that annoy her and how it feels to be getting old. Although she doesn't mention her health, she alludes to it when she lists things that she will and won't miss after she passes on, and thanks her doctors at the end.

Nora is - was - a wonderful writer and she can tell stories that don't amount to much in
Melanie Storie
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Three of Nora Ephron's movies are on my list of top favorite movies of all time. I remember watching "Sleepless in Seattle" in high school and just falling in love with it. After that, any time I broke up with a guy, I would watch "Sleepless in Seattle" to remind myself that there was probably a Tom Hanks out there somewhere for me and there was but his name is Matt. When I heard Nora Ephron died, I made my husband and sons sit down and watch "You've Got Mail" with me and we all laughed and love ...more
Kristina
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Eh.
This book is a collection of blandly interesting anecdotes about Ephron's life. The kind of blandly interesting anecdotes you tell friends over dinner (and they do not feel obliged to repeat), not the kind that turn into juicy, zesty, jaw-dropping books. I can only imagine the meeting with her editor.

Editor: We want you to write a book about your life.

Ephron: I'm in the middle of something.

Editor: Okay, make it short. Just write anything down. People know who you are. They've seen When Ha
3.5 Stars

In I REMEMBER NOTHING, Nora Ephron remembers a lot. At first, I didn't much care for the book, well at least the first 25%, began skimming and almost DNF, but by 40%, I felt like I was getting to know Nora, her sense of humor and liked her....a lot.

She began as a newspaper reporter in the 30's and attained her dream of becoming a journalist in New York City plus so much more! She wrote the screenplay for one of my favorite movies, When Harry met Sally, and it was the big one that change

4 stars. 🌟🌟🌟🌟

Nora Ephron in any form is witty, sharp and insightful.
I really enjoyed this collection of thoughts and views on life in general and hers specifically.
They are seen as snapshots that are mostly relatable to any woman of a certain age but it is also clear that she did lead an extraordinary and somewhat privileged life as well.
This woman left such an indelible mark on the world with her wonderful writing and movies (think "When Harrry met Sally", "Sleepless in Seattle" and more) it
britt_brooke
“And I survived. My religion is Get Over It.”

I have a weakness for nonfiction essays, especially ones that make me feel like we’re all human, it’s cool, we all have shit. I enjoyed these snippets of Ephron’s personal and professional life and her random observations on the modern world. Written in 2010, it’s a little dated, but still relatable. Her audio narration is flawless; her humor perfectly deadpan.
Jeanette (Again)

Not particularly funny, but still pretty interesting. I enjoy little autobiographical snapshots in essay form. There's probably more namedropping here than in any book I've ever read, but the Ephron girls grew up around so many famous people that they might not recognize namedropping when they do it.
Bonnie
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
“On some level, my life has been wasted on me. After all, if I can’t remember it, who can? The past is slipping away and the present is a constant affront.”

I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections, Ephron’s last essay collection published before her death in 2012, touches on the tragedy of aging and is probably not something that I could fully appreciate only being in my 30s (but I still loved it). She discusses becoming forgetful, about physical changes, but she touches on stories from her
Sterlingcindysu
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Now realize this is a memoir and it's called, "I remember nothing." I thought it would be ironic, that she HAD remembered alot, but no. If you like poor little rich girls whining, this is for you...sorry, I can't muster much sympathy for a girl who waltzes into a job at Newsweek, meets famous people and doesn't remember anyting about them and complains about only getting $40K as a surprise inheritance. To add insult to injury, then there's a chapter about her "flops", remember these are movies s ...more
ML
Jan 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Nora Ephron is clever and observant - and sometimes surprisingly wise - as in her essay about the impossible demands placed on children of divorce. As for laughing, I enjoyed most "The O Word" (O for Old).
My only LOL moment, however, came from the catalog designation: this book has been categorized as wit and humor about "Middle-aged women". "Middle-Aged"? The book is all about being OLD.
Kathy
Feb 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
So far she seems to be describing ME! Quick read for those of us getting older and not liking it one bit!!!
Michelle
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
I was expecting something different, so I rated it "it was ok" because it didn't deliver to my expectations. After laughing throughout "I Feel Bad About My Neck", (and Sleepless in Seattle and When Harry Met Sally) and having so many "Oh yeah! Me too!" moments, I wasn't pleasantly surprised to realize this book is more of a memoir, and Nora fills it with references to lots of people I probably should be impressed about, but instead I felt I was joining in on a stranger's conversation (make that ...more
Anni
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The title is misleading because Nora Ephron regales us with lots of entertaining reminiscences and delightful anecdotes in her razor-sharp witty style. There are so many quotable passages I could have highlighted most of the book by the end. So sad there won't be any more.
Sarina Bowen
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Reviewers are correct that there is a great deal of overlap with I Feel Bad About My Neck. But I love Nora Ephron, and had fun reading it nonetheless.
Mel
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exactly what I needed as a companion to an afternoon of work/errands. Nora Ephron is undeniably honest about her personal failures (marriages or flopped movies), insecurities about not being able to remember anything (facts, details, faces), and she easily provides a refreshing & relatable burst of joy despite discussing subjects not usually considered humorous.

Will forever love her wit and her words.
Cindy
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
News of her death prompted me to choose this book, a series of essays on growing old(er), though she died too young at 69. I probably enjoyed it more than the average reader since I am nearing that age myself and it is reassuring to know that I'm not the only one dealing with memory issues...even famous, successful, wealthy people suffer too! Her writing is witty and down-to-earth.
Julia
May 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I've only known of Nora Ephron as a writer of films, and I had enjoyed "When Harry Met Sally". So I was very surprised and disappointed that I never laughed once at this slim volume of her "reflections". The entire atmosphere she breathed seemed to be the shallow one of the wealthy, so the 23 small vignettes here came across as some of the most self-centered pieces I've ever read.

My favorite essayist is Kurt Vonnegut, who can make me laugh and think at the same time. Ephron does neither for me.
Simon Howard
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is delightful.

It's a short book, full (mainly) of short anecdotes and reflections on events in Nora Ephron's life. Sometimes, these take the form of full-on autobiographical anecdotes, such as her story of how she got into journalism. Others are just straight-out opinions, such as her six stages of her relationship with email. All are joyously funny; some are also quite touching. The whole gives a real sense of Ephron as a person. And the quality of the writing throughout is just sublime.

So
Rebecca
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of Ephron’s delightful recollections about aging, memory, coping with new technology, ridiculous food fads, marriage and divorce, writing, filmmaking and – especially here – her early love of journalism. Not quite so laugh-out-loud funny as I Feel Bad About My Neck , or so wry and bittersweet as Heartburn , but still a delicious read that will fly by. ...more
Mo
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
description

FAVORITE BOOK READ IN 2019

This hysterically funny (and at times painfully honest) book resonated with me, and I remembered it long after I had read it. Anyone over the age of 60 should read this. It is just so damn relatable!

She wrote things like:

Anything you think is wrong with your body at the age of thirty-five you will be nostalgic for at the age of forty-five.

At the age of fifty-five you will get a saggy roll just above your waist even if you are painfully thin.

This saggy roll just abov
Jack
Sep 02, 2012 rated it liked it
I got this ebook from the library because the one about her neck wasn't available. I was sad when Nora died. She was one of those great New York dames who was always just so alive and opinionated about it all. And, Jesus, talk about accomplished. While reading Nora's obit I realized that I had never read any of her prose and so figured why not. I love that I could get it online from my library. How cool is that? A thrill like stealing. The book is quixotic and charming. -Why quixotic? I don't kn ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, of course!
I couldn’t help but be saddened by I Remember Nothing, as it is Nora Ephron’s final book. I was fortunate enough to listen to the audio version, which was read by Ephron herself — making the book even more special. Listening to her voice, it was impossible to believe she was really dead.

While not as fabulous as Ephron’s Scribble, Scribble: Notes on the Media or I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman, I Remember Nothing is a worthy valedictory, and it contains some great ge
Chelsey
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Like eating chocolate or taking long hot baths, Nora Ephron is a comfort to me. She may not make any grandiose statements about life, but her thoughts are clever, honest and have the perfect amount of bite. Knowing this was the last collection she wrote before her death, and the fact that the book ends with two lists she wrote (knowing she was sick) entitled "What I Won't Miss" and "What I Will Miss" brought a tear to my eye. This woman is simply wonderful, and I'll have what she's having.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #116 I Remember Nothing by Nora Ephron 1 2 Sep 14, 2015 09:04PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: I Remember Nothing, by Nora Ephron 1 2 May 29, 2013 10:28AM

• Sister Mother Husband Dog: Etc.
  • Wow, No Thank You.
  • Little Weirds
  • Hoda: How I Survived War Zones, Bad Hair, Cancer, and Kathie Lee
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love
Nora Ephron was an American journalist, film director, producer, screenwriter, novelist, and blogger.

She was best known for her romantic comedies and is a triple nominee for the Academy Award for Writing Original Screenplay; for Silkwood, When Harry Met Sally... and Sleepless in Seattle. She sometimes wrote with her sister, Delia Ephron.