Start by marking “The Knife's Edge” as Want to Read:
The Knife's Edge

The Knife's Edge

From the author of the Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Nominee for Best First Series...

She's a queen with deadly enemies and dark sexual longings. She yearns to give herself over to the hands of another, even at the point of a blade. But can she trust her sacred medallion to protect her from the royal assasin who wants to seize her throne, her body, and her heart?

A
Published September 1st 2009 by Stephanie Dray

To ask other readers questions about The Knife's Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Knife's Edge

Start your review of The Knife's Edge
Usako
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, own, read-2012, kindle
These sixty pages aroused a smile from me -- not necessarily from the erotica itself but the battle of wits, the foreplay if you will. The line "lions mate only with lions" clearly expresses the theme of this story. The two powerful adversaries are circling each other, trying to decipher if the other is trustworthy enough for one moment of weakness in mating.

If you're a fan of chess and political strategy, this story will hook you in and leave you wanting more. You WANT to learn more about what
SheLove2Read
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Never having read Stephanie Draven before, I picked up this freebie at BN with no expectations, and am very happy I did. This is a hidden gem of the first order. The short story (60 pages) revolves around an anti-hero who plots to seduce the Queen and kill her for her throne. The only problem is that she is protected by a pendant that renders any attempt on her person null. Not quite magical, yet almost sentient. I cannot say much about the plot without giving it away, however it was a very ...more
willaful
What we might get if Megan Whalen Turner switched to erotica. (It's not particularly kinky or graphic, by the way.) As a romance fan, I am dying for a sequel.
Kathy Love
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this story. Fast, sexy read.
Jeanne
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-bdsm, erotica
There are two kinds of characters that I love those are anti-heroes and strong women. This short story has both and portrays them unflinchingly. Truly at the start of the book I wasn't sure if I liked Dardanus at first. He is an unrepentant manipulator and murder after all. He is also very buried in his own head, which makes sense with the shady deeds he carries out. It also proved to be a fascinating way to view this unconventional love story.

Because we see through Dardanus' jaded eyes we make
Adaline Raine
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotic
I was literally blown away when I got to the end of the story and realized how quickly you fall into the characters world. If I could give this story more stars I would! The interaction between this super powerful woman and her would be assassin is just incredible. I literally felt like I was standing in the corner and watching this tale play out. Fantastic use of detail and time. Very dark due to the main character's mission but after the Queen's medallion digs into his soul/mind/heart you just ...more
Elly Helcl
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
For as much as I am learning to hate the way some authors write short stories...I actually really enjoyed this one.

The bad? It was WAY TOO SHORT! I want MORE! It was a very well written story that grabbed my attention and held me riveted until the end.

The good? The entire short story.

So if I have nothing but good things to say about this story, why only four stars...

I can almost guaranty this. If the author ever took the time to make this into a full length novel, I would probably be five
Alexia Chantel
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Draven proves she has talent with this novella, it doesn't miss a beat and will have you engrossed before the first page is read. Never before has an anti-hero been crafted so well. You feel his hatred, see the justification of his actions. Then the Queen submits to him and he is broken, an amazing transition. The ending fits perfectly, even without giving you the happily ever after you yearn for.
A.R. Von
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Treachery, deceit and greed are the motivation for Dardanus' actions towards the queens. But he finds it to be different once he gets to where he wants to be.

A short, and sweet hot read that left me wondering what would happen next with Dardanus and Nestra.
Cara Bristol
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This historical short story hooked me right away. An aide to the queen plans assassinate her -- if he can get her remove her protective medallion. To that he must bed her. The Knife's Edge is an interesting read about a game of cat-and-mouse in which winner takes all.
DJ
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Short story but hot, liked it.
Alixendra
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The only thing I have to say for this book is that it officially holds my favorite ending! a good bad guy as the 'hero'. Totally new twist!!
Themis
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: bdsm, 2013, freebie
We have a quick sexy scene nothing to explicit. Sir Darnadus falls in love and forgets about the knife.
Sarah (saz101)
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, romance, novella
Very short, very light read. Essentially a sex scene with a bit of intriguing back story. Starts out strong, and kept my attention, but ended right as it was getting good.
Olga therebelreader
4.5 ANTI-HERO STARS
SSShafiq
Nov 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
Oh my lord - I think I bought this as a free kindle book. Or was it 99 cents. I forget along with why I bothered. Not long enough and not hot enough. Gave me a headache. At least this short story tried to have a plot (why??????) mixed with the erotica but perhaps it should have stuck with the latter.
Sarah Marie
The Knife’s Edge by Stephanie Draven

"Nestra held the only quality that meant a damn for a leader to possess: she inspired a man to rather die than betray her.”

Dardanus is a bastard who works for Queen Nestra. He has been plotting to kill her, but the only way to do that is by getting her to remove the medallion that protects. The only way to achieve that will by seducing her. Don’t let the fact that this is only 24 pages turn you off. In fact because it’s so short you have no excuse

[̲̅ρ̲̅υ̲̅и̲̅y̲̅α̲̅]
A.M.
Sep 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, i-own
Queen Nestra rules alone after the death of her husband. Regardless of the rumors that she takes many men to her bed, her adviser Dardanus knows otherwise. She is also protected by a magic medallion that hangs around her neck. It knows everything and he guesses that if he can seduce her, that will be the only time she would remove it. And then, the pretender to the throne can strike.
So when he talks her into meeting him alone and medallion-free there is a knife under the pillow.
***
I was cleaning
Nikki Wilde
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Super fast quick enchantingly erotic and completely enticing read. I came away with... that was awesome! I want more, where's the rest? Is there no more. SHOOT.

Dardanus is a bastard after the throne. The only thing that stands in his way is Queen Nestra and the medallion that protects her from harm. We learn that Dardanus has had a scheme in play for a long time and he and his conspirators have put a lot of thought into getting rid of Nestra. Unfortunately, she never takes off her medallion
Joy
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was ok

42 pages

Wow, 0 to 1000 kms an hour in the space of a couple of seconds.

Our anti-hero is a royal bastard, cold, calculating, manipulative and a murderer. Through first person narrative the reader is plunged immediately into his head. Dardanus is determined to assassinate the Queen and claim her throne for himself but first he must find a way to separate her from her protective medallion and there’s only one way he can think of to achieve that. Seduction.

42 pages of raw sensual grit…but gad
Iza
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
This story was advertised as an erotica, which is why I read it (and because I got it for free) and why I only gave it 3 stars bordering on 4.
I didn't get what I was looking for, but yet, this quickie appealed to me because of the characters, strong-willed and not goody-two-shoes, bordering on evil on the side of the H, and because the attraction and suspense is very well built.
They circle around each other, test each other and you never know if one is going to kill the other or spend the night
Elena
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
This short story seemed like i started reading from the middle of a complicated book. The idea seems very good, so i don't understand why the author bothered with 20 pages of weird verbal "foreplay" but didn't spend some time on writing out a proper novella actually telling us this complicated story and how it ends! It was in the erotica genre- but the sex scene was extremely short, mild and blah, with an unnecessary slap at the beginning, that in my mind qualifies as woman abuse....
Also, the
Rebecca A. Rogers
I think what I liked most about The Knife’s Edge was that it’s a fantasy erotica. I don’t see that very often (mostly just contemporary), so this was a nice change.

The gist of the story is that the queen wears a sacred medallion that protects her from harm. She also can’t have relations with a man as long as she wears it. Her closest advisor, however, has other plans. He wants the medallion for himself, since he should be the rightful heir to the throne. But in the process of seducing the
Ashley Nelson
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it
A very, very short read, but what there was of it was engaging. I liked the setup and intrigue of it all. I would have liked more backstory on Dardanus to put his feelings in better context. Ihis felt like an except; it would be an a great starting point for a full-length story. Also, only half the kindle file is this story, the other half is excerpts from the author's other works. That makes an already very short story seem even shorter. However, for the price of free, it was entertaining ...more
Kristen
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, read-in-2013
A very short read, which is disappointing because it was really interesting and made me want to know more. I wanted to know more about Dardanus and his back story, and of course, I wanted to know what happened the next day. Even if the author hadn't made this a full-length novel, it could have been a longer novella; there is so much potential.

While I was somewhat turned off by the demand/need of submission thing, I did enjoy the intrigue and the set-up, as well as the surprise of Dardanus's
Tasha
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
From what I did read, what the book is about, I couldn’t help myself I had to search this book out. Luckily I found it for free on Smashwords.com. As soon as I put it on my kindle I was reading it immediately. It drew me in and wouldn’t let go until the very last page. Yes it is a short story, and yes usually short stories suck because the author can’t put all the 6,000 details in that are needed, and not all short stories are perfect but I found this one pretty damn close.
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
This is a very short story that actually has more verbal foreplay than actual spicy bits - I never thought I'd complain about that! From the synopsis, I thought this book would be different to what it was. Still enjoyable but could quite easily have done with a few more words, if only to make it up to a Novella. There is a big world within this story that we only see a smidgeon of.

Good coffee break book and with lots of excerpts from other books in case you were looking for anymore.
Deb
Aug 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Charming! I like the idea of the anti-hero.

He has been asked to kill the queen, but being asked is merely a formality since he desires to anyway. He also desires her. However, no one may touch her so long as she wears her medallion. He knew the medallion would be his undoing, but not quite in the way he imagined!
Loveeac
Jun 07, 2012 rated it liked it

Interesting story, though I think it could have served to have a little more to it than it did. Short as it was, it was a little difficult to really connect with the characters.

As for the teasers... I don't know I'll ever want to read the like again. Not because the teasers were no good, on the contrary, they were. I was just frustrated that the whole story wasn't there.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Love Looks Pretty on You
  • Lamb to the Slaughter
  • The Return of Lord Avondale: Regency Romance (London Season Matchmaker Book 1)
  • The Noble Spy: Regency Romance (London Season Matchmaker Book 2)
  • The Earl She Despised: Regency Romance (London Season Matchmaker Book 3)
  • Perfect in My Sight
  • Surrendering to the Baron (A Steamy Regency Romance #7)
  • Kathleen Kirkwood Collection #2: The HEART Trilogy
  • Dashing Dukes and Romantic Rogues
  • Lessons for His Bride (Regency Matchmaker, #3)
  • His Mischievous Bride (Regency Matchmaker, #2)
  • His Tempestuous Bride (Regency Matchmaker, #1)
  • Mastering His Lady: Complete Collection
  • Crossed in Love (Regency Love and Laughter Book 1)
  • Savage Secrets (Savagery and Skills, #1)
  • Her Muse, Lord Patrick
  • An Unexpected Bride (Brides of Brighton, #5)
  • Marrying Miss Milton  (Brides of Brighton #2)
Stephanie Draven lives in a city of ravens and purple night skies with her favorite nocturnal creatures. And when she is not busy with dark domestic rituals, she writes her books.