Start by marking “The Wonky Donkey” as Want to Read:
The Wonky Donkey

The Wonky Donkey

Kids will love this cumulative and hysterical read-aloud that features a free downloadable song!
"I was walking down the road and I saw...
a donkey,
Hee Haw!
And he only had three legs!
He was a wonky donkey."

Children will be in fits of laughter with this perfect read-aloud tale of an endearing donkey. By the book's final page, readers end up with a spunky hanky-panky cranky s
Published May 1st 2010 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Wonky Donkey, please sign up.
Shin Kaur The price is so expensive, because it is out of print and unavailable. I've seen this with other items, they put a ridiculous price, to keep it in the…moreThe price is so expensive, because it is out of print and unavailable. I've seen this with other items, they put a ridiculous price, to keep it in the search, but with an unattainable price.(less)

Emily May
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I jumped on the bandwagon and got this for my boys after seeing the video of the hilarious Scottish granny reading it to her grandson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_co...

Just try saying "he was a stinky dinky lanky honky tonky winky wonky donkey" out loud. If that doesn't make you laugh, try saying it once more, but in a Scottish accent. I endeavor to always read this in a Scottish accent - which makes most things better, if you ask me - and so far it seems to be working. My 2 year old g
Montzalee Wittmann
The Wonky Donky by Craig Smith is hilarious! It is also an internet sensation due to this grandmother reading it to her grandson....I was laughing so hard because she was laughing so hard!
Check it out here!
Ana
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The video of that grandma reading this book to her grandson is hilarious. Go watch if you haven't yet. :D
Shaina
Try to read this out loud ! I watched a lady read it to a baby and she kept laughing which made me laugh so much. I loved it. I want a copy for future kids and one for my niece.
It’s a good time!
Hilary
Jan 23, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hilary by: Found in the library
We love donkey stories but I'm afraid this one wasn't for us. Lots of people love this though.
Marianna
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b-r-a-ce-2019, ebook, en
ένα αστείο παιδικό βιβλίο που έγινε παγκοσμίως γνωστό πέρσυ από το YouTube της Scottish Granny (να το δείτε, σου φτιάχνει τη διάθεση 😂) ωραία εικονογράφηση, δύσκολα να αποδοθούν στα ελληνικα όλα αυτά τα ~ky αλλά εχει πλάκα 😁
Madison
Something about the bird snatching the donkey's eye out of his head turned me off.
Kristie
This grandma reading the book is hilarious! https://www.facebook.com/boredpanda/v...
Shelle Perry
Fun, ridiculous rhymes that build on one another. Parents will enjoy reading it as much as children will enjoy hearing it. It will be one of those books that years later kids will remember with great fondness.
Kristen
This is a book I never would've picked up on my own, so thank you, Linda P., for sticking this on my desk. No real plot to this one, just super-silly wordplay. Great for a readaloud. Scholastic says it has a downloadable song, but I couldn't find it.

Nevertheless, the goofy stretched-out descriptive list ("he was a cranky stinky-dinky lanky honky-tonky winky wonky donkey") will get giggles. The lack of commas makes me a little nutso, but I could see using this as a springboard for a silly phonic
La Coccinelle
Feb 08, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Looking for a book that'll instill a lifelong phobia about birds in your child? Then look no further than The Wonkey Donkey, which somehow manages to make fun of amputees, the visually impaired, and those with gastrointestinal disorders, all while offering up questionable word definitions and making fart jokes. Oh, and showing a bird plucking the donkey's eye out on the third spread. (Completely unnecessary. The first time we see the donkey, we only see him in profile. So he could've only had on ...more
Mark Robison
I got this because (1) I share my life with two donkeys (Willow and her son Tolstoy) and (2) this has been among the best-selling of all books on Amazon for quite a while so I figured there must be something to it since it's not a new book. But ... meh.

I'm not the intended audience so there's that. This is intended to be read aloud to a very small child, who I'm sure will laugh and snort every time "Hee haw!" is exclaimed. The book is written a bit like "The 12 Days of Christmas" where everythin
QNPoohBear
Very zany and crazy story. It doesn't make sense but it's a fun memory game for kids to read or sing aloud. Parents got it for 5 year old nephew for Christmas. He tossed it aside so I'm guessing the" (prosthetic leg). Kids who are "wonky" themselves will get a kick out of seeing this wonky donkey.
Gerry
Feb 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I must confess I am at a loss to understand how 'The Wonky Donkey' became 'The laugh-out-loud, bestselling book that's a viral internet sensation!' It unfortunately did very little for me and did not excite me in the least.

It has unusual illustrations and the story is simple, using snappy rhyming words to describe the donkey's many defects, beginning with the fact that he has three legs and is thus a 'wonky donkey'.

The little bird that is following him takes up the story and at each turn adds o
Lauren Paletta
I only liked it because of the grandmother who reads it on youtube :)
Amy
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have tried reading this book out loud without laughing, and so far, no luck.
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
Since this book is so popular, I decided to bring it home to read to my girls. It was clever, but I was a little grossed out by the illustrations. I didn't end up reading this to my daughters because the donkey illustrations were creepy and a little crude. Reading this as an adult though, it was mildly funny.
Reeds
I first became aware of this book because of a video of a grandmother reading this to her grandbaby. That lady's laughter became funnier than the book she was enjoying it so much.
Maki
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! Very fun the kids and I love books that you can sing to the kids! He is coming to visit our school next month and I am sure my students will love him!
Linda Abhors the New GR Design
It does sound great when read by a Scots grandma laughing hysterically, doesn't it though?
Cassie Stever
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a children’s book but we’re all kids at heart, right?

i read this a little while ago but figured i would add it to my list real quick so it’ll count towards my reading goal.

i first stumbled upon this gem when my grandma showed me the scottish grandma reading it to her grandson on facebook. i laughed my ass off, mostly because the grandma reading it couldn’t stop laughing and her laughter was contagious, but also because this book is so cute. after watching the video, i went to work the
Amie's Book Reviews
This tongue twisting, hilarious story will have kids and adults alike laughing out loud. It is sure to become a family favorite.
The illustrations are superb and absolute perfection. A definite 5 Star book.
Jack & Lily Wills
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We saw the video of the Scottish grandma reading this and that encouraged us to check it out from the library. It's a fun book to read out loud. I didn't care for one of the illustrations but otherwise it's a great book!
Hilary
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
...He only had three legs, one eye, he liked to listen to country music, he was quite tall and slim, he smelt really, really bad, that morning he'd got up early and hadn't any coffee, he was always getting up to mischief...but he was quire good looking!

He was a spunky, hanky-panky cranky stinky-dinky lanky honky-tonky winky wonky donkey!

(The video was better...)
Cai
Once there was a donkey. A wonky donkey who liked country music. Full of description words this book adds a new description with every turn of the page. There is also an accompanying CD.

This is a delightful and hilarious story! I loved the rhythm and rhyme to it.

V @ 5 months old.
SJ
Mar 25, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a creepy picture book! Definitely disliked!
Briony Donald
Feb 22, 2018 added it
Shelves: ryan
Safe to say that Ryan likes the books in the book pack that I got from school
Amy "the book-bat"
Just the title brings me joy. I laughed all the way through the book. I have also seen the video of the Scottish grandma reading the book to her grandson and the joy it gave her made me want to get my hands on a copy. I'm thinking about getting it as a gift for some friends who are expecting theor first child this spring.
Sultan * Baby Mama Smut-a-teer*
We got this book for Xmas and it is the best!! Had a good time reading this silly book.
Bianca Sy
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
HEE-HAW!

This book is hilarious! I cannot remember why and how I ended up with the video of a grandma laughing so hard while she reads this book to her grandson. It made laugh even harder! Seriously, someday, I know I would read this book to my child.

If you would like to see the video, here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbsZo...

• Hairy Maclary's Rumpus at the Vet