Start by marking “Shades of Gray” as Want to Read:
Shades of Gray

Shades of Gray

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  1,969 Ratings  ·  151 Reviews
COURAGE WEARS MANY FACES
The Civil War may be over, but for twelve-year-old Will Page, the pain and bitterness haven't ended. How could they have, when the Yankees were responsible for the deaths of everyone in his entire immediate family?
And now Will has to leave his comfortable home in the Shenandoah Valley and live with relatives he has never met, people struggling t
Published May 1st 1999 by Aladdin (first published November 1st 1989)

booklady
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to booklady by: Reading Rainbow
I first learned about Shades of Gray thanks to Reading Rainbow, one of the few television shows I let my children watch when they were little--and mostly only so I could get good book tips. I first read it almost twenty years ago and it's still one of my favorite children's stories about the American Civil War. It can be read by most fifth graders and read to younger children.

The main character, orphaned Will Page has come to live with his mother's sister and uncle by marriage, who Will consider
Angela R. Watts
I could see the author was trying to show that both sides of the war had their reasons, and everyone was human... But I found the book rather annoying.
Reilly
Jul 17, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
the book should have been called shades of poop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kaitlyn
it was a very good book. I loved how the entire book was at the edge of your seat.
Mary Harris
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Citation: Shades of Gray, by Carolyn Reeder. (Aladdin Paperbacks, 1999). 152 p. Historical Fiction.
Genre: Junior Book- Historical Fiction
Summary: The setting of the book is the end of the Civil War. A young boy named Will Page is faced with the struggles of losing his family during the war and must move to live with relatives.
A. One of the best aspects of the book was the author’s use of period writing. By that I mean he used the sayings and language that people during the Civil War.
B. One of t
Kellyn
This exceptionally well-written book tells the story of William Page, a twelve year old boy who lost everyone in his immediate family during the Civil War. Will moves to rural Virginia to live with an aunt and her husband. In his new home Will experiences many new and exciting things yet he is angry at and rejecting of his uncle, a Southerner, who refused to fight for the South. Will expresses the many beliefs and attitudes of those Southerners who fought for that they believed was a just cause. ...more
Amy
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My daughter is reading this for 5th grade ELA, and I think it's so timely with the election and racism, sexism, civil rights in the news today. Being around people with beliefs that differ from your own is a good thing. I love how Will has his beliefs changed from all his experiences. Good lessons all around.
Mark
Nov 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-library
While a bit preachy & contrived at times, the characters in this book about the year following the end of the Civil War in rural Virginia feel real. We discover along with the main characters the variety of responses to the war on both sides.

I read this as part of Braeden's homeschool curriculum - we use Sonlight, which is literature-based.
Cheri Wiegman
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. It talks about many sides of the civil war that I didn't know about. It also has some great themes such as family, pride, bullying, and war. Great historical fiction for young adults.
Sam
Nov 20, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't read this book. The book doesn't have much action to me. I had to read it for school and I tried many times to drop out of the book club. DON'T BE LIKE ME. Pick a book like Blood On The River instead.
  • Turn Homeward, Hannalee
  • George Washington Carver: Man's Slave Becomes God's Scientist (Sower Series)
  • The Great Turkey Walk
  • The Landmark History of the American People, 2 Volumes
  • Skippack School
  • The Terrible Wave: Memorial Edition
  • The Wright Brothers
  • By the Great Horn Spoon!
  • Moccasin Trail
  • The Great Wheel
  • The Oxford Illustrated Book of American Children's Poems
  • Pocahontas and the Strangers (Scholastic Biography)
  • Toliver's Secret