Start by marking “Questing Beast” as Want to Read:
Questing Beast

Questing Beast (Koslov Universe)

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  1,741 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
On a world far far away, where cute things eat computers and the sky is emerald green, a small team of scientists struggles to save the planet and their own careers by mixing genetic engineering and Arthurian legend. Too bad they had forgotten the first rule of planet exploration: Nature always has the last laugh.
Nook, 30 pages
Published May 16th 2010 by Ilona Andrews

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

This is only my second time reading a short story written by the Andrews and my only complaint is that it was much too short. A novella would have been great! :)

The story is very entertaining and, in pure Andrews fashion, mixes sci-fi, high tech, mythology and classical literature (with a bit of Arthurian legend thrown in). The Andrews have built a great little world here with lovable characters. Because the story is so short I don’t want to talk about the plot here, as i
Milda Page Runner
Impressive world building as usual. Story itself is a joke with a reference to an Arthurian legend. OK but not as funny as some of the others. Perhaps too short to make a big impact.
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
It had orange dwarf cows, a thing riding the dwarf cow, furry Stitch like creatures that like cookies & computers, and Arthurian legends. Awesome.
Maria Dimitrova
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
Another short and ridiculously funny story by IA. I read it a few months back so my memory is a bit fuzzy but I remember laughing my head off and wanting one of the metal eating creatures as a pet. Though if they eat my computer I'll probably end up killing them.
Carolyn F.
Humorous sci-fi short story. I really like these authors but this isn't their best work. If they do go back to sci-fi, I'm hoping it's a whole lot better because they're consistently one of my 5 star books.
Cathy (cathepsut)
A free short story, to be found on the website of Ilona Andrews or on their page on Smashwords. Fun little sci-fo story. I wouldn't have minded this being a longer novella. Reminded me a little bit of Alan Dean Foster.
Barbara ★
A little bizarre and a lot short but enjoyable. This could have been a really good story had it been more than 30 pages.
Melinda
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
This short story was like a mix of high future tech and old Literature. A strange combination that worked quite nicely. It is the story of scientists on an alien planet, doing their final report before colonization. Just as the final pages are being input into the computer, a millepede virus hits and wipes out everything except one peripheral that is fighting the attack. The peripheral's name is Nannybot and it keeps quoting L'Morte d'Arthur by Mallory about killing the Questing Beast. This is w ...more
Diana Prince
This was...okay? Not really my thing, but the writing was fine. A very quick read in between bus stops for me.
Sharon L

this was a short, enjoyable and very original read. yep, once again the writing duo Ilona Andrews manage to creat an original futuristic story that combines High-Tech with Myths and Literature.

As the story is really short, I will not discuss the plot but use the opportunity to debate (pherhaps) Ilona Andrews as authors.

While I truly enjoy their writing i can understand why some may not. Ilona Andrews worlds and stories are truly orginal, yet, the writing duo tend to amake it a 'either
Renee B.
The Questing Beast opened its mouth and a clear voice issued forth.
“Dear Gods.”

LOL.

“In our defense,” Sean said, “we would both prefer to have been
eaten.”

And more LOL.

These lines made me chuckle and I guess the great thing about Ilona Andrews is that they always manage to make me smile. Even if the story felt a little lacking. I didn't really appreciate the info-dumping (if I could call it that). It was a little difficult for me to imagine this world, unlike all the other worlds they built. Maybe
Jenevieve
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
A short story by a favorite author. A report needs to be written but on a planet where the native lifeforms like to eat the circuitry, that is a more difficult proposition than one might think especially when the unthinkable happens and your computer has contracted a virus that has wiped out everything. Your only hope? A nannybot that has also contracted a virus but one in which it needs to fulfill a specific condition to fix itself. What condition? It must find and deal with a Questing Beast! A ...more
Sarah (SB) ღ
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really short and super cute :)
Ian
Rating: 4/10

INITIAL THOUGHTS
I’m not really sure if I should give this ebook a rating or not as it’s almost too short a story to warrant it. That said, no one should assume the "low" score I’ve given signifies I didn’t like it, or that I would discourage anyone from reading it. I enjoyed it for what it is, a quick and easy sci-fi read with an interesting plot that would have been more satisfactorily tackled and explored in a longer piece of work.

NO FULL LENGTH REVIEW FOR THIS ONE!!!
Vera Maslow
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I give this short story a 4 stars because there is so much world and character build in very little pages without making me feel overwhelmed with it. This is what these authors do in many of their short stories and Novellas.
M
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it

Online
Melissa Hayden
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sean is on Nemuria with his crew researching to save the planet from development. The computers are locked behind many secret-locking doors and Plexiglas, to protect them from trogomets, two foot tall fuzzy computer-eating animals, as the most important report, Final Evaluation Report, is kept there now finished awaiting the council to arrive in four days. However, last night a millipede virus broke through the transmission and destroyed the FER and all backups, but one. The only one remains in ...more
**✿❀ Maki ❀✿**
Questing Beast had an interesting enough premise, but it certainly would have benefited from being longer. There were several ideas and plots introduced in the thirty-some pages of this short story, but that wasn't exactly enough room for all of the ideas (or characters) to fully develop. Or, at least, develop beyond absolute basic information.

The overall plot of the story is that these scientists have to file their findings on a planet for...a scientific survey? Something along those lines. A v
Melissa
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who enjoy sci-fi mixed with their old lit
Recommended to Melissa by: no one
Shelves: brain-candy
This was a free short story offered on the website, and also through my Nook (might also be offered for Kindle). I've enjoyed Ilona Andrews' other books so I thought I would give it a shot.

It was an enjoyable read. Set in the future on an alien planet, the crew is trying to get their report completed and uploaded when a virus hits the computer. How they react to the virus and the defense that was set up is the main thrust of the story. Trying not to give much away, but there's a bit of quoting f
C.M. Brown
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This short sci-fi story, by Ilona Andrews, is a fun read. The Questing Beast, is set on a distant planet, where Sean Kozlov; head of a team of scientists, is awaiting the arrival of the Committee, which will be visiting, to view his team's final data, collected from two years of research.

Unfortunately, for Sean and his team a virus has attacked their computer system and the data could be permanently lost.

This is a wacky story, filled with very strange happenings and imaginative creatures. I woul
Liv
Jul 29, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a free short story that Ilona Andrews offered through their website. The story was of a SF genre, set on a unknown planet, inhabited by creatures unknown/unheard of. The main characters in the story were scientists working on a project observing the viability of this planet, and the week prior to their final evaluation report was due, they encountered some technical malfunction and was left with no data backup (hence no means to produce the report).

This story was funny and unusual. The
Kat
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Basic plot: On a strange planet, a computer virus causes a robot to think it's Sir Pellinore, so to save their data, the scientists must create a Questing Beast for it to hunt.

Yes, it really is that silly. I found myself smiling a lot while reading this particular story. Obviously, if you are in any way familiar with Arthurian Lore, this story makes a bit more sense, but the basics needed are included in the story, so it's not really a necessity. It's a pretty straightforward tale, and I believe
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Sean Kozlov is so tired of working to complete Final Evaluation Review or FER before the committee arrives in two days. Sean learns that a virus has corrupted their computer systems. Sean is forced to take desperate action to get the information input all over again. Sean's only hope is Nannybot that believes it's a Knight in King Arthur's court. Will the Nannybot work? Can Sean save his job? Your answers await you in Questing Beast. This short story really packs a punch and doesn't stop either.
Catherine
Jul 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-read, own, reviewed, 3star
I "bought" this on Smashwords. It was free. I mainly chose it because of the beautiful cover.

I sort of liked this story. It had an interesting premise and some interesting portions within it. My main problem is that I didn't find it interesting enough to follow it completely. I found my attention dwindling a little at times.

The overall story was quite well written, but I think it's the type of story that definitely needs more explanation than a short story can provide. Maybe if it were longer, i
Aurian Booklover
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
As it is only 12 pages, I won’t tell you anything about the story. I was amused by it, and I loved the originality and fun. I could totally see this happen on some strange planet. How awful it would be for our own latest generation who are dependent on technology so much, to have to revert to writing with a pen on paper instead of typing on a keyboard.

So, it is an Ilona Andrews story, it is free, it is fun, what are you waiting for? Download it and read it on your next break.

No stars, as it is
Peep (Pop! Pop!)
Cute and short and a wee bit weird. It was a free read that I got over at Smashwords. I don't want this review to be longer than the story so I'll keep it short.

I think I spent more time trying to sound out words and find out what they meant than needed. It was short. Did I already say that? I liked the ending, it made me smile. I am glad that it wasn't a full length novel because I don't think my brain could have remembered all those new terms. Why do future people feel the need to skip simple
Anna
Dec 29, 2013 rated it liked it
A cute early short story from Ilona Andrews. Free. Faced with indigenous creatures that have a tendency to consume computers and hackers that delight in disseminating viruses, an intergalactic research team struggles to come up with an evaluation report of a new planet.

Light in tone but a little too full of information to make it read fluently. An enjoyable short if you are an Ilona Andrews fan but be aware it has nothing to do with their Edge or Kate Daniels series.
Avardsin
Apr 23, 2013 rated it liked it
I love the Kate Daniels series.. Was surprised when i saw this just browsing smashwords top list for something to read...

There's not really much too state... This is an odd short little story. I dont think it complementary to anything else, but like most independent short stories, there isnt some major plot or a lot for character development (these are saved for the novels)....

Worth the read...
Gina Mora
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-2012
This was a short, but hilariously cute read. I loved the Questing Beast. If this world were turned into an actual book series- I would be thrilled and I would definitely read it! The concept of the Nannybot on the cow with the broom was too cute. I want a dwarf cow!!

However, here is the reason why I want this world continued: the Questing Beast is a new organism introduced to a world. There will be chaos (and you'll realize this with the last line of the story), so SHOW US THE CHAOS!
  • The Vanishing (Return of the Aliens #1)
  • Magic Bleeds - Awake (Curran POV #9)
  • The Queen's Witch (Cassandra Palmer #0.6)
  • Under Her Skin
  • Dark and Stormy Knights (Kitty Norville; Vampire Files; Kate Daniels; Signs of the Zodiac; Dresden Files)
  • Spider’s Nemesis (Elemental Assassin, #4.5)
  • After Dark
  • Black as Blood (InCryptid, #2.6)
  • Wildly
  • Eternity
  • Life Blood
  • The Little Dragons
  • The Kraken King and the Abominable Worm (Iron Seas, #4.2; Kraken King, #2)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade ...more
More about Ilona Andrews

Koslov Universe (2 books)
  • A Mere Formality

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Six Wakes
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“The human body is an amazing organism. It can go from dead tired to completely alert in a terrified blink.” 34 likes