Start by marking “A Rake's Vow (Cynster, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Rake's Vow (Cynster, #2)

A Rake's Vow (Cynster #2)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  9,475 Ratings  ·  305 Reviews
He vowed never to marry.
She vowed no man would trap her.
But some vows are meant to be broken...

Vane Cynster greatly enjoys his dalliances, but he's always remained aloof when other Cynster men stepped up to the altar. Resolved to never submit to being leg-shackled to any woman, he believes hes found the ideal temporary refuge from London's infuriating husband hunters at Be
Mass Market Paperback, 374 pages
Published October 1st 1998 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about A Rake's Vow, please sign up.
Tammy From Pg 68 of the book: "He's been known as Vane since before he went to Eton. Devil named him--said he always knew which way the wind was blowing and…moreFrom Pg 68 of the book: "He's been known as Vane since before he went to Eton. Devil named him--said he always knew which way the wind was blowing and was was in the breeze"(less)

Blacky *Romance Addict*
"Ah," he murmured, his voice very low. He shifted fractionally closer. "But, you see, I'm not a gentleman. I'm a Cynster." As if letting her into some secret, he gently informed her: "We're conquerors — not gentlemen."

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This is the second book from the Bar Cynster series, and another great one too Photobucket

The story

Vane Cynster is running away from fate. After seeing how the mighty have fallen (Devil in love with Honoria), he decides to go as far as possible, away from any temptation (as in women he might
Gi's Spot Reviews
3.75 'Rake' Stars

Again, a very enjoyable read, apart from their constant reference to his 'rakish ways', and how many women he bedded. Yes, I know, in this time, it's normal, and the title said it all, but there was no need to be mentioned basically in every page... Another point was him considering making her his mistress, that didn't sit quite well with me. But major points for Vane for, unlike his cousin, the Devil, revealing the depth of his feeling and truly professing his love and devotion
Katrina Passick Lumsden
So Laurens just took Devil's Bride and changed the names of the characters, right?

Have I mentioned how sick to death I am of bitchy, obnoxious heroines who think they know everything and act like they're better than everyone else? I liked Vane, of course, Laurens is pretty good at crafting compelling heroes, but her heroines need serious work. They're not endearing to the reader at all, just whiny, indecisive bags of shrewage. There is a major difference between being an independent, willful, s
Tina
Jun 17, 2010 rated it did not like it
I think this will most likely be the last Laurens book I try. I have not enjoyed the two I've read.

I actually liked the hero. I think he was the only aspect of this entire book I liked. I did not understand why he was so immediately besotted with the heroine. She was something of a cipher. I never got a good feel of her character or any strong ...well...anything about her. She was pretty, that was about it.

The mystery aspect was quite tedious. Not enough to hang a plot on at all. And like the f
Lauren
A Rake's Vow
4 Stars

Vane Cynster is determined to avoid the same fate as his cousin, so when a storm starts brewing he decides to stop over at his Godmother’s estate. He should have known that one cannot escape their destiny, which comes in the guise of Patience Debbington, a woman who certainly knows her own mind and has no intention of giving up her independence for the likes of an elegant gentleman such as Vane Cynster.

Although the fated mates trope is somewhat out of place in a historical rom
20012206
Como dice el dicho, si a uno le van a dar ni aunque se quite!!! Vane se fue huyendo de las casamenteras y termino enamorándose de Patience y teniendo que conquistarla porque ella no se deslumbró fácilmente por él ni por su nombre

No fue divertida pero si entretenida, sirve para pasar el tiempo
Quirky Omega
And so another one of the Cynster males wholeheartedly falls into the love-shackles of matrimony.

Plot
At the beginning of the book Vane can already be seen running like a headless cock. His behaviour gives the feeling as if fate is a real, live physical entity that is going to pounce on him, anytime. He fears that he's the next in line to be accosted by the love-bug. And as any romance reader knows, rakish heroes must pretend to be running away from love.

But a storm forces him to take refuge at h
Diana
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great book, but not one of my favorites in the series.
Jelena
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nešto mi se čini da dugo nisam čitala neke istorijske knjige, pa je ovo bilo baš interesantno :D
Sviđa mi se kako je Stefani opisala i širila radnju. Pomalo liči na Eloizu Džejms, ali usuđujem se da kažem da je još interesantnije :D
Likovi su odlično opisani i sviđa mi se što su i ženski likovi jednako snažni i odlučni, kao i muški, iako poštuju sva tadašnja pravila društva i ostalo.
U svakom slučaju preporuka od mene :)
Estefanía Cantoral
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5
"El prota masculino se acerca a la prota de manera intensa, la observa y con voz profunda le ronronea algo sumamente seductor..." Y yo solo puedo imaginarme a un gato XD !!!
Y es que este prota ronronea mucho pero bueno, la historia se me hace más interesante que la anterior, en general, todos van sobre una misma línea; hombre seductor conoce chica, se quiere casar con ella, ella no y pero si lo quiere seducir, el hombre trata de resistir hasta que acepte ser su esposa, etc.
Aquí tratan de abri
Krasimira
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Ivana Azap Feješ
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book from the Bar Cynster series, and another great one too. Vane is a typical Cynster.

Vane is another Cynster that will take away your mind, soul, and body again. Ah...what is it about the Bar Cynster?

It's the second book of the Cynster series. Patience is a thoroughly sympathetic heroine, and the intrigue and mystery here is fairly well crafted and fun to follow.

I first read "Devil's Bride" a year ago, so was very happy to move on to Vane's story in the series. I enjoyed rea
Celina
Vane is another Cynster that will take away your mind, soul, and body again. I've come to think that all the Cynsters are going to do that. When I read Devil's Bride I wanted to know how he got the name "Vane". It was Devil who gave him that name, liking him to a wind vane. You'll understand when you read the book.

Patience--I don't think I ever got over the fact that her name is a virtue--Debbington was a charming enough heroine. I don't think I loved the fact that she would readily throw hersel
Susan (susayq ~)
ETA:Reread with RLftCI group on July 23, 2012. I liked this more this time than the first time I read it.

Ahhh, Vane and Patience. The problem I had with this story was their inability to say 3 small words...I am hungry. HAHAHA No, that wasn't the 3 words. The words were "I love you". She loved him, but wouldn't put herself out there and say it. He loved her, but was too manly to put those feelings into words. She wouldn't agree to marry him without hearing the words, and wouldn't tell him what s
Julz

I feel guilty saying I "read" this one since it was an audiobook, but that counts, right?

This was about a rake (obviously) falling in love with a girl who never ever wants to get married to an "elegant gentleman", such as the H, because her elegant-gentleman father was a cheat who neglected his wife and children.

The majority of the book was the H chasing the h hot and heavy, trying to convince her to change her mind while they solve a little mystery on the side. The story is cute and
Kat Desi
Jul 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I had looked forward to reading Vane's story and was not terribly disappointed. I loved Vane. He reminds of Devil most of the time. I also liked Patience but not at first! I started to appreciate her at about 60% into the story. Again, the mystery aspect of the book was very thinly veiled and was prolonged than necessary. It was very easy to guess who the troublemakers were and that ruined some of the enjoyment of the book for me. Take out that part and I would be a happy lady. I don't mind just ...more
jen8998
May 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
I was kind of bored by this one. The hero and heroine are vacationing in an English country home. They're brought together as they attempt to discover who stole Aunt Minnie's pearls. Sigh.
Милена Божинова
Една книга, която си заслужава да бъде прочетена.
Ridh
This is my fourth attempt at writing a review because this page keeps being stupid. -_____-
Okay, I'm thoroughly confused. This book's rating went up and down so many times, I have to compromise and give it 3.5 stars.
Quick Overview

We have Patience Debbington, a 26 year old orphan who has taken responsibility of her easily influenced 17 year old brother. She's living with her aunt, Lady Bellamy, to prepare for her departure to London, so she can an "acceptable" mentor for her brother. While at th

Anita
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Patience's father was a "Gentleman". The kind of Gentleman that marries, gets his wife pregnant and stashes her in the country while he goes about and enjoys the good life in London. Patience's mother loved her father and made excuses for his absences. No wonder that Patience doesn't have a very good opinion of marriage or Gentlemen either. But, she does have a younger brother, Gerrard, and at 17, she is determined that he not grow up to be the "Gentleman" his father was.

Vane Cynster finds himse
C Joy
The only part I liked about this book is when Devil and Honoria showed up. There's is excellent character development for Vane and I really disliked Patience's character. Of course the touch of mystery is what kept me reading 'til the end. I always loved the Cynsters and but I didn't quite like how Vane got a hold of Patience, it's like he was the humblest of the humble, they didn't meet halfway unlike Devil and Honoria. I'm really biased towards the first book and even though I didn't like this ...more
Denise
Nov 23, 2010 rated it liked it
While I liked Vane, and I did not dislike Patience, something was just missing from this story. The mystery was no big mystery at all and I don't understand (view spoiler) It was also about 100 pages too long. It was however nice to see Devil and Honoria with their baby.
Hitesha Deshpande
Jul 03, 2009 rated it did not like it
I am a biggie for Judith McNaught style romances based in the eras of the Earls and Duke's. But a Rake's vow was disappointing. It didnt manage to carry of the charm and magic which make historical romances so endearing
Crystal
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am quite torn with this one. The mystery aspect was secondary and superfluous in my mind. So there's that. Patience was a difficult character to like, and I did not appreciate, without explanation, the whole holding demons in check for Vane. That could be because I did not read the first book. Vane was a patient man, pun intended, and the sexy times ended up saving it for me.
Margareta
Apr 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Ok
MB (What she read)
3.5 stars. I like these early ones best. This one gets re-read a lot because I actually own it.
Erica
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The second of the Cynster novels, this is in many aspects a much better effort than the first one. Central to all of them (or at least the first six) are the Bar Cynster: six men of around the same age, all brothers or first cousins and all in want of wives, even if they do not know this or want to admit to it.
This is Regency England, shortly after the Napoleonic Wars, and the Cynster clan encompasses your typical alpha males. Outwardly they are perfect gentlemen, always turned out to perfection
Jill
First I need to say i experienced this book as an audio read and HIGHLY RECOMMEND it in this format. I don't think I could have appreciated the very, very, very descriptive sex scenes (as in analogies and metaphors) if I had to read them but the narrator, Simon Prebble's AMAZING cadence, infliction and verbal momentum with the author's extended adjectives created a visual and emotional picture of lust, physical connection and orgasm that nearly had me gasping. It was a totally unique experience ...more
Lassarina Aoibhell
In the second book in the Bar Cynster series, Vane Cynster takes shelter from a storm at his godmother Minnie's home, Bellamy Hall, where it turns out a great many small objects of no particular value have been going missing, and someone is stalking around the nearby ruins late at night. There, he meets Minnie's niece Patience, and falls prey to the Cynster pattern.

This is honestly one of my favorite Bar Cynster books. One of the things it does really, really well is showcase how much the Cynste
Anyushka Dhawan
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: keepers

I read this book right after Whitney, my love. Which was slightly unfair. It would have been unfair to just abt any book, let alone this light hearted fluffy romance.

It's the second book of the Cynster series. It has a mildly intriguing plot and a very scintillating romance. I do remember getting a tad bit annoyed with the endless mysteries of the invisible thieves and spectres. However the intense love making scenes make up for it.

Vane and Patience have a LOT of chemistry. They're very well s
  • Scottish Brides
  • It's in His Kiss (Bridgertons, #7)
  • The Taming of the Duke (Essex Sisters, #3)
  • Slightly Sinful (Bedwyn Saga, #5)
  • The Devilish Pleasures of a Duke (Boscastle, #6)
  • The Forbidden Lord (Lord Trilogy, #2)
  • The Wedding Bargain (Effingtons, #1)
  • Desire
  • England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3)
  • Worth Any Price (Bow Street Runners, #3)
  • The Impostor (Liar's Club, #2)
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie
More about Stephanie Laurens

Cynster (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1)
  • Scandal's Bride (Cynster, #3)
  • A Rogue's Proposal (Cynster,  #4)
  • A Secret Love (Cynster, #5)
  • All About Love (Cynster, #6)
  • All About Passion (Cynster, #7)
  • On a Wild Night (Cynster, #8)
  • On a Wicked Dawn (Cynster, #9)
  • On A Wild Night / On A Wicked Dawn
  • The Perfect Lover (Cynster, #10)
“Climb every mountain , Ford Every stream
Follow every rainbow ,'Till you find your dream”
20 likes
“You also," he said, lowering his voice, "haven't yet
thanked me for saving you from sitting in the flower bed."
She didn't even look up. "It was entirely your fault that I nearly did. If you hadn't sneaked up on me, I wouldn't have been in any danger of landing in the weeds." She glanced briefly at him, a touch of color in her cheeks. "A gentleman would have coughed or something."

Vane trapped her gaze, and smiled—a slow, Cynster smile. "Ah," he murmured, his voice very low. He shifted fractionally closer. "But, you see, I'm not a gentleman. I'm a Cynster." As if letting her into some secret, he gently informed her: "We're conquerors—not gentlemen.”
14 likes