Start by marking “Gib Rides Home (Gib, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gib Rides Home (Gib, #1)

Gib Rides Home (Gib #1)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  200 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Gib Whittaker's life at Lovell House Orphanage in the early 1900s is pretty bleak. But along with hours of chores, bad food, and paddlings, the boys do get some schooling, and reading and writing are better than scrubbing floors. Still, Gib's fondest dream is to have a real family. So when Georgie Olson is adopted, Gib can't help being jealous, even when he finds out that ...more
Published February 9th 1998 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Gib Rides Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gib Rides Home

Ruth Woodman York
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice, quick young adult book. No big surprises in the plot, but still a "feel good" story.
Rebecca Douglass
Apr 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Gib Whittaker has been an orphan since he was small, living at an orphanage where the boys are given a minimal education and lots of hard work. No wonder Gib thinks being adopted would be better, even after he learns that many boys are taken to be farm hands, not really adopted. And all he really wants is to know who he is and where he came from. When Gib is finally adopted, he finds it's both more and less than he'd hoped, and when things go very bad, it looks like it's all over.

The book was a
Leah Good
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
No one had heard from Gibson Wittaker since he went away, but the rumor was that he had been adopted by a family who lived near Longford, a small cattle town in the next county. There was nothing especially uncommon about that. Half, or even full, orphans left Lovell House fairly often, going back with a remaining parent or out to an adoption, but what was so shocking was his reappearance. How could Gib Wittaker be strolling into the senior boys’ dormitory when the law said, at least the law acc ...more
Dec 07, 2014 rated it liked it
This lacked the beauty and heart and glorious acceptance of children as they are, compared with books like The Changeling and The Egypt Game. It does benefit from Snyder's excellent writing style, and the characters are real and interesting to see. Young people on a farm, and independent children aren't really my catnip, but the story is strong and doesn't take the easy way out most of the time, so if you like those things you'll like it.
Taylor Geare
Oct 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
To be completely honest, Gib's Ride Home bored me. It's a story about an orphaned boy who is adopted out yet comes back to his orphanage for reasons I will not say as not to spoil it. I just didn't exactly enjoy the story line or the way it seemed to drag on. I am a lover of horse books but this one was not for me.
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
I picked it for Children's Book Week 2010 out as something Regan (from the Trixie Belden series) might like. It's about an orphan in the early 1900's who gets "farmed out" and finds out how much he likes working with horses. It was okay but seemed to miss the boat on several potentially good plotlines.
Kathryn McCary
Mar 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
The two Gib books seem to have been written near the beginning of Snyder's slide into paint-by-numbers; the plots are shrilly overdramatized, and the god's machine is all too visible, but it is still possible to enjoy the stories.
 ♥lil' bit :} (i put u in my popcorn tehe!!)
if ur a horse lover u will adore this about a bound between an orphan boy and a mustain named black silk or silky.
WSL Library
Shelves: juniorfiction
Snyder, Zilpha
Dec 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Horse lovers
I like adventure, mystery, and horse books, and I got it all raped up in one with this book. I read it awile ago but I remember I really liked it.
Beka P
Feb 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I will probably buy this book soon!!!
May 30, 2014 rated it liked it
This was good book to read because of all the adventures he had threw the story like getting into trouble with the head mistress this was a good story to read I recomend it.
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book and I would reccomend it to everyone. It is an Amazing story of in unfortunate little boy! A must read for horse lovers!
Oct 23, 2009
Oct 19, 2013
Oct 05, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Jake's Orphan
  • A Grateful Harvest (Prairie River, #2)
  • Gratefully Yours
  • Come On, Seabiscuit!
  • Raider's Promise (Viking Quest, #5)
  • Stumptown Kid
  • Zink
  • Gabriel's Horses
  • Chase
  • The Broken Blade (Pierre La Page #1)
  • Dark Horse (Starlight Animal Rescue, #4)
  • Stairs of Sand
  • The Boy and the Samurai
  • A House of Tailors
  • Horse Tale (Saddle Club, #35)
  • A Seeking Heart (Mountain Lakes #1)
  • Playing It by Heart: Taking Care of Yourself No Matter What
  • Doctor Dolittle's Circus (Doctor Dolittle, #4)
The recipient of three Newbery Honor Book awards for "The Egypt Game," "The Headless Cupid," and "The Witches of Worm," Zilpha Keatley Snyder began writing books for children in 1964 when her first book, "A Season of Ponies," was published. Over the course of the career she completed 43 books, mostly for children aged 9 to 13, but also including two books for young adults, four picture books for y ...more
More about Zilpha Keatley Snyder...

Gib (2 books)
  • Gib and the Gray Ghost (Gib, #2)

Young Adult Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
  • Orphan Train Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
  • Period 8
    $6.74 $0.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • How Dare the Sun Rise: Memoirs of a War Child
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Winter Prince (The Lion Hunters Novels)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $3.99 $2