Start by marking “La joven de la perla” as Want to Read:
La joven de la perla

La joven de la perla

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  519,724 Ratings  ·  8,228 Reviews
A best-seller in English, this novel centers on Vermeer's prosperous Delft household during the 1660s. When Griet, the novel's quietly perceptive heroine, is hired as a servant, turmoil follows. Chevalier vividly evokes the complex domestic tensions of the household, ruled over by the painter's jealous, eternally pregnant wife and his taciturn mother-in-law.
Published April 30th 2001 by Alfaguara (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about La joven de la perla, please sign up.

Ann Otto I read the book and saw the film. Both were good, but the film had extraordinary sets and got the lighting and feel of the time period beautifully.…moreI read the book and saw the film. Both were good, but the film had extraordinary sets and got the lighting and feel of the time period beautifully. Definitely a worth see. (less)
Konstantin No, but search the Internet to find some, see what are key themes in the novel, frequently asked questions and try to discuss about that. Or just make…moreNo, but search the Internet to find some, see what are key themes in the novel, frequently asked questions and try to discuss about that. Or just make your own, Tracy Chevalier is not Tolstoy and "Girl with a Pearl Earring" isn't an enigma to read and definitely not hard to understand.(less)

Jeffrey Keeten
“I heard voices outside our front door - a woman's, bright as polished brass, and a man's, low and dark like the wood of the table I was working on. They were the kind of voices we heard rarely in our house. I could hear rich carpets in their voices, books and pearls and fur.”

photo Girl20With20the20Pearl20Earring_zpsmfguurj3.jpg
The Girl With the Pearl Earring

When the Vermeers came to visit Griet’s home she had no idea they were there for her. Her parents had decided, given their near destitution, to find Griet a position as a maid with a wealthy
Daniel
Jul 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another one of my wife's recommendations (I read a lot of books that way), I picked it up from the bookshelf the night we came back from seeing the film with Scarlett Johansonn and Colin Firth. I loved the movie--it was just so incredibly sumptuous--and was curious to know the story in the novel, which I knew from experience, and from my wife's continuous comments, would be different, more detailed. I was right.

Chevalier has won a place in my heart and bookshelf. Her novels are well-crafted, sim
Kate
Jul 29, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I know almost nothing about art, but even I can tell that Girl With a Pearl Earring by Johannes Vermeer is a brilliant painting; 'captivating' is probably the best word to describe it. One presumes that Chevalier agrees with me, and this is what lead her to write a novel about the painting, its subject and its creator. So, is the novel as captivating as the piece that inspired it?

The short answer would be 'no'.

Now for the longer answer...

Chevalier is probably one of the best-known historical nov
Barry Pierce
I approached this novel trepidatiously. How could I ever suspend my disbelief with this work? How could I ever believe such a ridiculous tale about Vermeer and one of his most revered paintings? I must admit that I opened this novel expecting to utterly detest the lies it weaves. By page two I realised that I was an idiot who should never be listened to.

Griet is hired as a maid to the Vermeer family in Delft. This novel supposes that Griet the maid was the sitter for Vermeer's great work Girl w
Jason Koivu
I CAN'T SHOUT "MEH!" LOUD ENOUGH!!!

The popular fame obtained by this book and its subsequent movie version starring Scarlett Johansson...

*two hours later*

(Sorry, I was daydreaming)...had me expecting a tumultuous romance, a grab-ya and hold-ya reading experience. But this...I don't know what this was, but it wasn't exciting in the least.

Girl With a Pearl Earring is about a maid, who becomes a model, who gets her picture painted and attracts the notice of a few men. The painter is famous, so tha
Madeleine
So the parts when Vermeer was actually being a painter were interesting. Seeing as I slogged through this on account of a recommendation that arose from an art-class lecture on Vermeer, I was hoping that the art stuff would at least deliver.

But it's not a good sign when a book's most compelling moments revolve around two people grinding pigments. And, no: "Grinding pigments" is not a euphemism for artist-bangin'. It is, quite literally, referring to the detailed descriptions of how paint was ma
Ahmad Sharabiani
Girl with a Pearl Earring, Tracy Chevalier
Girl with a Pearl Earring is a 1999 historical novel written by Tracy Chevalier. Set in 17th century Delft, Holland, the novel was inspired by Delft school painter Johannes Vermeer's painting Girl with a Pearl Earring. Chevalier presents a fictional account of Vermeer, the model, and the painting. The novel was adapted into a 2003 film of the same name and a 2008 play.
Sixteen-year-old Griet lives with her family in Delft in 1664. Her father has been rec
Vane J.
Have you ever seen the painting Girl with a Pearl Earring by Johannes Vermeer? No? Then, have a look at it:

Isn't it beautiful?

I hadn't seen it until a few months ago, in a class I was taking at the university called “film appreciation”. My professor wanted to show us the movie that goes by the name of this painting because he wanted to illustrate some concepts present in the movie and many other things. Well, at the end of the movie, in the credits (yes, I read the credits; besides, the music wa
Ij
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Girl with a Pearl Earring

Tracy Chevalier

Plume, 2001

The “Girl with a Pearl Earring” is a painting done by Dutch painter Johannes Vermeer, around 1665. Not much is known about Vermeer which gives Chevalier creative license to develop what I believe is an interesting story. The painting is currently on exhibition in New York, at the Frick Collection. The exhibition is scheduled to be there until January 19, 2014.

The story told in first person by Griet the protagonist starts in Delft (South Holland)
Diane
This was a pleasant diversion. This novel about a pretty maid who appeared in one of Vermeer's paintings is easy to slip into, didn't ask much of me, and kept me entertained for a few days.

Is it great literature? No. Was it turned into a decent movie? Yes. Would I recommend the book? Depends. The plot skips along well enough, and I enjoyed how the author invented stories for some of Vermeer's famous paintings. My copy was a deluxe edition that included pictures of his artwork, which I appreciat
do you also find that... 17 209 Jan 18, 2018 03:38AM
English 1 H Period 8: Summer Book Review 1 7 Sep 07, 2017 01:34PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please correct page count 2 9 May 25, 2017 11:18PM
ACPL Online Book ...: Girl With a Pearl Earring-March 9 10 Mar 30, 2017 12:01PM
Review #1- Anna Hoffman 1 6 Mar 13, 2017 11:19AM
  • Girl in Hyacinth Blue
  • Artemisia
  • Tales of Passion, Tales of Woe (Josephine Bonaparte, #2)
  • The Birth of Venus
  • The Illuminator (Illuminator, #1)
  • Chopsticks
  • The Creation of Eve
  • Year of Wonders
  • Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution
  • The Agony and the Ecstasy
  • Ahab's Wife, or The Star-Gazer
  • The Queen's Fool (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #12)
  • One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd (One Thousand White Women, #1)
  • Leonardo's Swans
  • Portrait of an Unknown Woman
  • Katherine
  • Duchess
1973
Born:
19 October 1962 in Washington, DC. Youngest of 3 children. Father was a photographer for The Washington Post.

Childhood:
Nerdy. Spent a lot of time lying on my bed reading. Favorite authors back then: Laura Ingalls Wilder, Madeleine L’Engle, Zilpha Keatley Snyder, Joan Aiken, Susan Cooper, Lloyd Alexander. Book I would have taken to a desert island: Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery.

Educa
More about Tracy Chevalier...
“He saw things in a way that others did not, so that a city I had lived in all my life seemed a different place, so that a woman became beautiful with the light on her face.” 174 likes
“You're so calm and quiet, you never say. But there are things inside you. I see them sometimes, hiding in your eyes.” 115 likes