Start by marking “Developing Management Skills” as Want to Read:
Developing Management Skills

Developing Management Skills

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  154 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
This guide to effective managerial behavior is the only one available on the market that teaches students what they need to know to perform well as managers, synthesizes a large body of scholarly research related to each skill topic, and uses a proven learning methodology to help students actually develop and improve management skills. Emphasizing the basic human skills th ...more
Paperback, International Edition, 720 pages
Published April 1st 2004 by Pearson (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Developing Management Skills, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Developing Management Skills

Michele
Aug 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mpa-books
Another text book, but this has some great, practical advice for managing yourself and others. Really good information on how to improve your communication and deal with conflict.
Amelia
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My writing definitely feels rusty at the moment. One reason? My time spent with the ninth edition of dry toast.

Cameron and Whetten take required reading to a whole new level of dry. I imagine them in their little Hobbit hole, inventing their own language. Oh sure, Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory could pull off, "My manager HOLDS relevant power, but he acts incongruently!" but the HR gal won't know what to write. Just imagine writing two essays and a speech in this management Klingon.

Do other ex
Joe Cole
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Used it in my undergrad class. A thorough and easy read! Very interesting material, not the type where you dread flipping open the pages compared to other textbooks.
Mark Oppenlander
As academic books go, this one is dense and intimidating. I'm not a particularly slow reader, but in this text, each 30-40 page chapter would easily take me several hours to read. Nonetheless, I found this book engaging and compelling. Rather than approaching the topic of management from a research or scholarly perspective, the authors treat this book more as a practical field manual for managers (that just happens to be informed by research).

Each chapter begins with a skill assessment (some of
Greg
Aug 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An early edition of this was assigned as a text in one of my Organizational Behavior courses when I was an MBA student. I found it both useful and engaging then, and have since used later editions in some of my own classes. The topics addressed are especially important for managers, and the chapters are well grounded in theory and research, but not so pedantic as to put off practitioner readers. Each chapter contains several useful self-assessment exercises to assess current state, then developm ...more
Danelley
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the first school books that I actually look forward to reading. I've been reading this book in my spare time, we haven't even been assigned to read it yet! It is awesome and I am learning so much about managing in all walks of life. The authors are great, and funny! (Specifically this book is for librarian types taking INFO 500+ courses. I am certifying as an information technology specialist and this class is required.)
Jamie Pennington
I learned so much from this book. I have been an executive director of several non-profits in various parts of the mid - west for 14 years and I wish I had read this book 14 years ago. I can not wait to begin implementing some of the strategies in this book. This is a text book for a business management course I am taking in about a month. I hope to learn as much from this class as I did this book. The book is a bit long. Rather expensive. And sometime a bit repetative but a good book.
Charles Wilson
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though this is pretty outstayed as far as the publication date, I was surprised at how relevant the Emotional Intelligence section was. Consider this a large reference book, but I enjoyed most of not- especially the part about designing work to fit the employee.
Heather
Aug 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-finished
There are valuable insights in this book, but not all of it is worth applying.
Louise
Shelves: msvu
read for Org Topics
Kelly Fogg
Dec 12, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read this for an MBA class. Avoid it if you can. Long sections and no graphics make for hard reading of this researched packed text book.
Stan
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a text book, actually pretty good.
Lori Grant
A must-read book new managers, executives, and entrepreneurs.
David
Michael
Mar 15, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Empowerment Takes More Than a Minute
  • Perfect Phrases for Customer Service: Hundreds of Tools, Techniques, and Scripts for Handling Any Situation
  • Emotional Intelligence For Dummies
  • Passion and Purpose: Stories from the Best and Brightest Young Business Leaders
  • The Fifth Wave: A Strategic Vision for Mobile Internet Innovation, Investment and Return
  • Agile Project Management: Creating Innovative Products (Agile Software Development Series)
  • Leadership in Organizations
  • Macroeconomics
  • Secrets to Winning at Office Politics: How to Achieve Your Goals and Increase Your Influence at Work
  • Managing the Unexpected: Resilient Performance in an Age of Uncertainty
  • Accounting for Dummies
  • The First-Time Manager
  • Kanban and Scrum - Making the Most of Both
  • Leadership 2.0
  • Silos, Politics and Turf Wars: A Leadership Fable About Destroying the Barriers That Turn Colleagues Into Competitors (J-B Lencioni Series)
  • The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
  • Organizational Culture and Leadership (The Jossey-Bass Business & Management Series)
  • Tales from the Drones Club