Start by marking “March Story, Vol. 1 (March Story #1)” as Want to Read:
March Story, Vol. 1 (March Story #1)

March Story, Vol. 1 (March Story #1)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  450 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Born of tragedy, damned by desire.

Reads R to L (Japanese Style), for M audiences.

Among the quiet villages and towns of 18th century Europe, demons known as the Ill hide within the most beautiful works of art, sparked to life by the torment of their creators. Attracted by their jewel-like allure, the unwary find themselves possessed by the Ill and driven to horrific acts o
Published October 19th 2010 by VIZ Media LLC (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about March Story, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about March Story, Vol. 1

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaBlack Butler, Vol. 1 by Yana TobosoFairy Tail, Vol. 1 by Hiro MashimaBleach, Volume 01 by Tite Kubo
Best Manga Series
170 books — 223 voters
Hellsing, Vol. 01 by Kohta Hiranoエルフェンリート 1 [Elfen Lied 1] by Lynn OkamotoBlack Butler, Vol. 1 by Yana TobosoDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaPandora Hearts 1巻 by Jun Mochizuki
Horror Manga
73 books — 19 voters

More lists with this book...

Bine
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wow, ich glaube, ich habe hier eine kleine Perle gefunden und ich kann es kaum erwarten, weiter zu lesen <3 Ich glaube, die Story hat noch soooo viel Potential! Ich will unbedingt wissen, wie es mit March weitergeht, auch wenn ich eine Ahnung habe.
Ich musste bei der 2. Geschichte um Orché so mit den Tränen kämpfen. Schon jetzt richtig berührend <3333
5 Sterne gebe ich nur deshalb noch nicht, weil ich mir denke, dass die weiteren Bände noch besser werden könnten und ich mich noch an den Zeic
usagi ☆ミ
I decided to read this one one day on a whim whilst strolling through Barnes and Noble, since I’d been hearing hype online about it before it hit the shelves. The jacket image caught me – what can I say? I’m most definitely a sucker for gorgeous art – and what seemed to be an interesting story. It wasn’t just interesting. I wanted the second volume right away.

This series is being released in North America under Viz’s SigIkki line (as apart of their partnership with Japanese publisher Shueisha an
Cornerofmadness
Jan 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
I got this new one when I returned a duplicate book. The story is set in the 1700's (which is hard to tell without them actually telling you that). The world is filled with demons known as the Ill. They inhabit works of art and tempt people to pick them up and use them and then they inhabit the people. The Ciste Vihad hunt down and destroy the Ill. The story follows the life of a young hunter, March. This particular hunter has some oddities going on, such as Ill-like horns that sprout during a f ...more
Mairéad (is roaming the Undying Lands)
WOW THIS IS LIKE GORGEOUSLY BEAUTIFUL!!! <3333

The art and story are splendid and I just fell in love with the story and the art. I was reminded of D.Gray-Man another series that I really do love, but I must say... March Story stole my heart away from D.Gray-Man. o.o

The fact that March turns out to be female and her own tragic story really impacts you. I never felt so engrossed or moved by a story like this. And the fact there's many males in D.Gray-Man compared to females (and I always thoug
Akeyla Pratt
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is actually the first manga I've ever read, and I LOVED it. The story is very interesting, and the artwork is so beautiful! I would love to see this as an anime.
Shellan
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dieses wundervolle Manga ist ab 16 - und das aus gutem Grund. Es ist ein bisschen brutal und blutig. Hat meiner Meinung nach so ein bisschen was von einem Horrorfilm. Es ist zwar eine durchgehende Story über March, aber irgendwie gleichzeitig auch Kurzstorys.
Kim Hyung Min's Zeichenstil ist wirklich gut. Sie zeichnet sehr detailtreu. Kleine Sachen werden liebevoll ergänzt.
Ich fand die Story wirklich spannend, und auch das "brutale" hat mir gut gefallen. Ich liebe ja Horrorfilme eh, von daher pass
Yosie
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
The first few chapters started out okay, but the ending taken me in completely. The dialogue is a bit weird to read at times. I'm not sure if that's the way it's translated or the way its actually written. But in the visual department, March Story's art style is a twisted and a darken labor of love. It will draw you in...I'd say check it out!
Mithrandir
Sep 10, 2016 rated it liked it
This was...interesting.

Very graphic with terror and gore etc. The premise reminded me of D. Gray-Man but it's much different.

There's a twist towards the middle of the book people will like. I didn't see it coming but that's just me.

So, it was all right.
Kristy Lantang
Feb 02, 2014 rated it liked it
i like the style of the characters and i like the fashion. the story is fine although it's kinda scary and thrilling.
Melissa Chesnoski
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was the first manga I've read, and i'm really glad i picked it up. March is awesome, This book is awesome,Read it.
Unluckyxiii
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Is an absolutely beautiful series with a wonderful story and amazing art. It's one of my favorite manga but it does go kind of fast.
sisi
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manhwa, paranormal
The story is very intriguing and I love the setting, it gives the whole story a more eerie feel. The art is also very enjoyable, so that's a plus.
Andrew Roth
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This first volume made me cry, laugh, smile. It was an explosion of feelings during just an hour of reading. To be honest, I've never felt this way because of a manga. I see myself too much in March. Her, His? Well, their story is such an heartbreaking thing. I know how she feels, hiding what you are, or not reflecting yourself on your real aspect and ways of acting. It's a continuous "fear others, fear their thoughts, and most of all fear yourself". A fucking astriction.

By the way, I'm in lov
Yolanda Casica
We follow the character, March, who works the Ciste Vihad. This group persists and executes the destruction of demons known as 'the Ill.' In this world demons are hidden within beautiful pieces of art (jewelry, paintings, ect.) created out of the anguish of their artists.

Visually creative and quite stunning in some scenes. However, there is mature content in this series, so not for young'uns. It had some nudity, yes, but it was more of just strategically placed art than a demeaning representati
アレツクス コツト
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I saw this first at borders before it closed down. I was walking down the manga aisle`s enjoying some of seattle`s best coffee :D(the green tea latte was amazing) Anyhoo i saw this cover art and really loved the art. This was wrapped since it is adult material cause of the gore and nudity n such. But i never got it at first. whenever i went to the bookstore i always saw this book. For me im hella picky when it comes to manga. Not because of the storyline or anything, but the art. Idk why im so p ...more
Arctic Fox
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Warning: This manga contains blood, nudity, and blood (oh and did I mention blood and nudity?)

I have fallen in love with the story of March Story. Back when this manga was still new (and there were only 3 out) I found this book sitting very lonely on the shelf of a near-emptied manga section of a book store that was having a huge "everything must go before we close our doors" sale..

The story line is amazing, the artwork is amazing... I find it a very nice mix between "oh shit" and "awww -in tear
Titis Wardhana
Ill, iblis kecil yang suka menghuni benda2 yang indah, dan akan kalau benda2 itu dipungut sama orang, ill akan menghasut orang itu untuk melakukan deepest desire-nya, yg jahat tentu saja. Kalau orang yg dirasuki belum membunuh manusia, orang itu masih bisa diselamatkan, tapi kalau sudah membunuh, maka jantung orang itu sudah diambil oleh ill dan orangnya sudah mati.

Sedangkan March, dia awalnya hanya anak kecil, tapi dia melihat kakaknya dibunuh, maka dia pun menyerah terhadap godaan ill, tapi il
Miss Ryoko
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, library-book
The artwork of this manhwa is PHENOMENAL!!! The story and artwork is dark and creepy, and I absolutely loved it! But I was absolutely blown away by the gorgeous, detailed artwork. I cannot wait to read the rest of this series!! I hope it's as awesome as the first volume!

Check out March's bad ass scythe!! (though I'm not a fan of this picture of March cuz she looks too girly and soft, and it's not a look that suits her well, in my opinion)

March Story photo marchstory_zps7d2cb46e.jpg

Chelsy
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Again I say, "WOW!" This has to one of the best mangas I have ever read. I loved this one as much as I loved Godchild,and that's saying something. The stories were so good! The writing is spectacular; it's hard to find a manga with an--at least--decent story line. And the artwork is be-u-ti-ful!
Now, I have yet to find a manga that's good all the way around, and this one had some issues of its own. The main attraction here was the violence. There was blood spattered somewhere in each chapte
Nicole Bunge
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Cain Saga, Doll,Vampire Hunter D, and Wallflower.
(warning, it is MA - violent, graphic, and contains nudity.)
The artwork is beautiful, and reminds me a lot of Kaori Yuki (Godchild/Angel Sanctuary), Mitsukazu Mihara (Doll) and Tomoko Hayakawa (Wallflower.)
And yes it's "Manhwa" (Korean- not Japanese) but... if anything, that makes it more hard-edged in my opinion.
Other than that... typical demon hunter w/a past, thinly veiled plays on historical events (Countess Bathory in one story) and a bit of romantic tension.
But it's quality: no gaping plo
Jenna
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Reminded me a lot of D.Gray-man plot and character-wise. The art was nice but at times I had no idea what was going on. Similarly the -spoiler- that was supposed to be shocking... was what I guessed from merely staring at the cover. May read more of it or maybe no..

EDIT: Just read volumes 2 and 3. The plot is rather repetitive and I'm not sure if I like March as a protagonist. But the drawing style is still nice. I'm not sure how anyone could not guess the vol 1 spoiler but maybe that's just me.
Kent District Library
“March is a member of the Ciste Vihad, an organization that tracks down and hunts the Ill. Ill inhabit treasured every-day objects, in turn possessing the humans who come in contact with them, often leading to bloodshed and tragedy. However, in this dark world of demons, March’s story with the Ill may be the darkest of all. This 5-volume series contains fantastic art and deeply impactful stories. Each chapter is powerful in its own way, and March is joined by a wonderful cast of characters. I wi ...more
Caribou Reviews
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Horror enthusiasts and anyone that likes good stories
Shelves: manga, genderbend
This is an excellent work! The art is beautiful, the story unpredictable. It's gorey, it's dark but it has a light of hope. The entire series kept me interested and the plot twist around volume 3 made me double take! I had to re-read a bit to find the hints. Its just excellent.

Anyone into horror, mystery, romance, self-discovery, tragedy and self-acceptance, will love this.

Plot 5/5
Horror 5/5
Suspense 4/5
Art 5/5
Characters 5/5
Romance 3/5
Makenzie
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I found this book on a whim at the library & im sure glad i decided to read it! I really liked it & cant wait to read the rest of the volumes. The only thing im a bit confused on is if march is a really a girl or a boy, Because it showed her as a girl, but shes also referred to as a boy..i hope it is further explained in the next volumes
Ricki
Sep 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, horror
This is a beautifully illustrated yet highly gory horror. Each chapter could stand on its own, but March’s backstory is slowly and expertly doled out through it, so they are much richer together and make for excellent reading. The story and illustrations compliment each other so well that it is amazing it was a collaboration. Not for the faint of heart, but definitely a keeper.
Aki
Jul 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Started with the promise of a very dark fantasy, but the majority of it turned out to be a lot lighter and less dire than it initially seemed. Great art, decent characters; romance needed more time and attention to be believable. Short series; definitely had the potential to be longer and more in depth.
Marilyn
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've only read this one book (books 2, 3, and 4 are waiting for me ... waaaiting!), but it seems like a bunch of short stories, connected by the main characters and main point. A little creepy, a little unexpected, good story ... I'm a fan :)
Ariana Deralte
I bought this on the gorgeous cover art, and was not disappointed. It's a beautifully illustrated horror story. The first two chapters are a bit generic in plot, but it picks up after that and shows back story and heart. I devoured the final two chapters, and will happily read more.
Ricky Mcconnon
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love Love LOVE this book. I first started reading it and I fell in love. There is tragedy, romance, action, thrill, friendship, but most of all the bond between you and March. You want her to succeed, but you have to read to find out! ;) <3
Jessie Radford
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Started this series was surprised by the amount of blood displayed. Plus when they explain the heroines story its horrifying. It definitely has the makings to become a very tragic story with no happy endings for anyone.
  • Grand Guignol Orchestra, Vol. 1
  • Higurashi When They Cry: Abducted by Demons Arc, Vol. 1
  • Mushishi, Vol. 3
  • Blood Alone, Volume 1
  • フラワーコミックス [Black Bird, Vol. 13]
  • Jack Frost, Vol. 1 (Jack Frost, #1)
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 4 (Library Wars: Love &  War, #4)
  • Shiki, Tome 1
  • Is This a Zombie?, Vol. 1
In 2002 he entered the manga world, and in 2007 he debuted as an original storywriter with March Story, published in Sunday GX.
More about Kim Hyung-Min...

March Story (5 books)
  • March Story, Volume 2 (March Story #2)
  • March Story, Vol. 3 (March Story #3)
  • March Story, Vol. 4 (March Story #4)
  • March Story, Vol. 5