Start by marking “Special A, Vol. 17 (Special A, #17)” as Want to Read:
Special A, Vol. 17 (Special A, #17)

Special A, Vol. 17 (Special A #17)

4.44  ·  Rating Details ·  2,024 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Reads R to L (Japanese Style), for T audiences. Joy abounds when final exams are over and the students begin to plan for the summer festival. But secretly Hikari is heartbroken--she'll be moving to Kyushu because of her father's job. She can't bring herself to tell Kei and the others. Will she really leave the boy and the school she loves?
Published November 2nd 2010 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Special A, Vol. 17, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Special A, Vol. 17

Jun 18, 2016 Ahmad Sharabiani rated it really liked it
Special A, Vol. 17 (Special A #17), Maki Minami
Shani
Sep 29, 2015 Shani rated it it was amazing
ooh!I lUV this manga.I've never had this much fun reading a manga,laughed so much my stomache hurt.From the day I started till the day I finished I was excited & sleepless.I'm totally in luv with Takashima Kei,he's a superb character,cool,cute &so mad about Hikari.She on other hand made me want to throttle her for being so dense & not understanding Kei's feelings,poor guy! but still I loved her too.Not only these two ,the other characters were equally lovable &enjoyable.The whole ...more
Callie Pyke
May 04, 2017 Callie Pyke rated it it was amazing
So sad this is done but love the wrap up
Alexei
Jun 16, 2014 Alexei rated it liked it
Come check out my book blog! Teenage Bookaholic

SYNOPSIS: *Please note that this is a review for the entire series, comprised of 17 books*
Hikari Hanazono is not your typical high school girl. While she comes from a modest background, she strives to do her best at anything and everything to top her rival. After losing an impromptu wrestling match as a child, Hikari made it her life's goal to beat Kei Takishima, a wealthy child who is destined to work for the family business, any way possible. She
Elizabeth
Jun 15, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
This series is essentially the love child between Ouran HighSchool Host Club and Maid-Sama!, but is strangely still refreshing in its own way. For one thing, the artwork and layout is WONDERFULLY EASY TO FOLLOW. You have no idea how much reading comedy manga is a pet peeve, with the excessive overlapping insanity that ensues every other panel. For me, it's okay in small doses (it sort of comes with the territory, to be honest), but it can get really old and really confusing in a matter of minute ...more
Lyndsey
Jan 21, 2013 Lyndsey rated it it was amazing
Special A is a story that primarily focuses on Hikari Hanazono and her attempt to beat her childhood rival, Kei Takishima.
It all started when Hikari was six years old. Her dad taught her how to fight, and she thought that she was undefeatable. But when she challenged Kei to a fight, he beat her and practically humiliated her. Since then, she swore that she would beat him no matter what.
She enrolled in the Private Hakusen Academy with him. It's an elite, rich school that separates classes by gra
❅ (t.c) (hiatus: school)
Dec 10, 2013 ❅ (t.c) (hiatus: school) rated it did not like it
THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL ENDING. I REPEAT IT IS NOT.
IT IS NOT.IT IS NOT.IT IS NOT.IT IS NOT.IT IS NOT.IT IS NOT.IT IS NOT.IT IS NOT.IT IS NOT.IT IS NOT.IT IS NOT.
(what i told myself when the manga ended 4 years ago in 2010)

Now.... it is time... for the official SCREAMING AND YELLING AND AND THROWING THE BOOK IN THE AIR A COUPLE OF TIMES AND RE-READING TO MAKE SURE I AIN'T BLIND YET. (i considered burning it but Kei, my love... :c)
Anyways, so we reached the conclusion of a series that should ha
Fhily
Jun 03, 2013 Fhily rated it it was amazing
Memberi ini bintang 5 dari volume 1 sampe 17 sebenarnya simple sih. Karena buku ini banyak kenangan banget :') saya sebenarnya bukan mau membahas isi buku ini -_-v tapi kejadian dibalik kenapa saya jadi menyukai manga yang satu ini.

Kenapa? Karena sangat-sangat mengingatkan saya pada kelas SMA saya :') Hampir mirip dengan Special A, kelas kita namanya Acceleration Class Gen 4. Kayaknya gak perlu dijelaskan lagi apa itu acceleration -_-"
Yang pasti di dalam acceleration kelas kita cuma bertujuh! Na
Katy
My main problem with this series is summed up by the song Love's Not A Competition (But I'm Winning).

Stupid Hikari. She's one of the worst shojo ingenue protagonists I've ever read. You're in love with him, get over it, get on with it, you don't need to beat him at everything you do together. But as shojo protagonists go, outside of that she's confident, quirky, talented, independent and determined. Thank God. Akira is the same, even if she's a totally-not-lesbian tsundere. I wish we'd seen the
Suzanne
Mar 31, 2011 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Kate
Mar 17, 2015 Kate rated it liked it
Special A is shojo in the same vein as Ouran High School Host Club, though not done nearly as well. Ouran's success is due to the near-perfect parody of shojo manga, exploiting nearly every single trope from the genre, which makes the story work even at it's most bizarre and improbable moments. In S.A, the story is full of the extraordinary that though fun, doesn't have enough substance to prop up the at-times faltering story-line.

This is not to say that I didn't enjoy S.A. I absolutely did. Wh
Rabia
Sep 27, 2012 Rabia rated it it was amazing
Hanazono Hikari is an intelligent student that is ranked number two in an elite school where her rival Takashima Kei also attends school. At this elite school, there is a group of intelligent children that consist of the top seven students in the school which is called Special A. This whole series of manga is about how hard Hikari tries to beat Kei but always results in failure as number two. Poor Kei has romantic feelings for Hikari, but the smartest girl in the school fails to realize his feel ...more
Alya Atiera
May 14, 2016 Alya Atiera rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, comic
The rating and review are conclusion for all of the volumes. Except for the synopsis.

Okay, where do I begin? The first volume is not that bad. A bit like warming up. As the story goes on, it gets more interesting and funnier. I love the ending. It's totally cute!

(view spoiler)
Yue
Jul 10, 2012 Yue rated it liked it
Well, sadly, but luckily, the manga is over. Sadly because I enjoyed this very much; it has everything a shoujo should be: it's funny, romantic, girly... Luckily because it began to be repetitive in some occasions, and at least in this last volume, it was not that funny as it used to be. It had a good closure... a bit of cliffhanger, but sweet (at least, in Jun-Sakura's, Yahiro-Megumi's, Akira-Tadashi's, Ryuu-Finn's stories). Kei-Hikari... it was nice, Kei proposing to Hikari, but I expected mor ...more
~Zaky~
I loved it thoroughly this was soooo much like Kaichou wa Maid-Sama!:DD
Loved Kei, cool, cute & the affection he shows towards Hikari was adorable & on the other hand Hikari, she is one amazing dense girl i have been introduced to.She is sooooo dense to the point its annoying though i enjoyed her innocence i felt bad for Kei :(((poor guy! Coming to the other characters in SA they too are equally lovable. All of the members in Special A (SA) are SPECIAL & lovable in their own ways.
Alt
Jessa Laure Anne Palo
May 12, 2013 Jessa Laure Anne Palo rated it really liked it
This volume made me burst into tears.
Shows a very good friendship right from the start and until the end.
Ive read all 17 volumes for 3 days, and well, it's just that something that you'll always look forward to.

I like how these people get along with each other despite their different attitudes and statuses.
and it is clearly showed through the illustrations that somehow move as i look at them (okay! that's only my imagination!)

I'm glad that I'm able to read all 99 chapters/ 7 volumes of this mang
Amber
Nov 05, 2014 Amber rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Sometimes the staples that the Romantic Manga have can be really grating. The wrap of all characters, or the fact that there really wasn't much resolved. She remains in second. For some reason all the characters must be paired for all to have a happy ending. I still enjoyed the series so I'll still give it three stars, but I would really like to see some of the authors step outside these endings. Still make them happy, but sometimes you can just end without the severe wrap up.
MarsianMan
Dec 02, 2010 MarsianMan rated it it was amazing
Note:This review is a series review, not really a volume specific review.

One of my favorite mangas. An excellent shoujo (meaning it is a comic aimed at teenage girls) story about Hikari whose life mission is to beat Kei. She goes to a very expensive school (one that her family can barely afford) for the sole purpose of trying to beat Kei. Poor Hikari is a clueless and loving girl who is always #2 in everything while Kei is #1. A good mix of drama, hilarity, and sweetness.
Nekokit
What a good ending!
Maki Minami has definitely put me in a good mood after reading this series.
I wasn't really expecting how Maki Minami ended it.
There is to much to give away for me to review the story.
So, if you finished 16 or haven't read the series yet, You better read the series and the last book!
I recommend it to anyone who likes shoujo manga or manga romance!
Bye S.A! ):
Lara
Feb 17, 2011 Lara rated it really liked it
Very cute end to the series. While I was somehow a little disappointed in the final pages, I have to admit that it totally fits with the rest of the story and it does just seem kind of right, when it comes down to it. Nicely done, Minami!
Hannah
Jun 14, 2016 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Hikari has the best boyfriend ever. Kei's rich, smart, responsible, and faithful to Hikari. Deymmm and the fireworks proposal was so cute ;A; truly, love conquers all. i'm glad Hikari stayed in SA and Tokiwa dropped out. Another happy ending *claps*
K.C. Rivers
Aug 05, 2011 K.C. Rivers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, humorous, shojo
I was truly sad to see this series come to an end. It had a perfect blend of humor and romance and while I felt the ending to the series was just a *little* bit "blah," I still enjoyed the overall story. For any fan of "Ouran High School Host Club," this is highly recommended.
Lauren
Feb 14, 2015 Lauren marked it as to-read
Shelves: manga
This series was amazing! Hikari and Kai's relationship is so comedic and heartwarming. I got through this series so fast and I just wanted to keep reading. All the characters are fun and this series is very entertaining.

If you liked Ouran High School Host Club I would recommend this series.
Hannah
Sep 18, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Series Review: Special A is a interesting and cute manga that I really enjoyed. It was funny and entertaining plot and character wise. I most enjoyed the dynamic between the characters. I recommend giving this manga a try.
Jenny Clark
Mar 27, 2015 Jenny Clark rated it it was amazing
I loved it:) It did kinda drag out but honostly it was a slice of life for the most part. And yes I know that is not really an answer, but it is still obvious that Hikari will say yes once she finaly beats him :)
Lu
Apr 15, 2011 Lu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
Good ending. I was laughing really hard when Kei proposed to her finally. Especially at Hikari's reaction to it! I do wish the author had gone into a little more detail on what was happening with everyone. There was only a brief over view and I felt that part was a little too rushed.
Skye (Skye's Scribblings)
A sweet and funny 3 Star YA contemporary romance series with great characters and a good ending.
Darlene
Jun 13, 2016 Darlene rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, favorites
[4.5/5]
Kamiko
Mar 10, 2015 Kamiko rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga-manhwa
This book was so emotional for me. I LOVED the ending.
  • Maid-sama! Vol. 08 (Maid Sama! #8)
  • Happy Café, Volume 9
  • High School Debut, Vol. 13 (High School Debut, #13)
  • Ouran High School Host Club, Vol. 17 (Ouran High School Host Club, #17)
  • Beauty Pop, Vol. 10 (Beauty Pop, #10)
  • Skip Beat!, Vol. 25
  • Love★Com, Vol. 14
  • Kimi ni Todoke: From Me to You, Vol. 11
  • The Gentlemen's Alliance †, Vol. 11
791996
She is a Japanese manga author. She is best known as the author of manga series Special A.

In 2001, her short story Day Dream Believer (デイ・ドリーム・ビリーバー) received an Honourable Mention for Hakusensha's 25th Athena awards. She debuted in Hana to Yume's October 2001 issue with a short story titled Faraway Blue (彼方の青 Kanata no Ao).
Maki Minami's longest running series, Special A, began publication in 200
More about Maki Minami...

Special A (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Special A, Vol. 1 (Special A, #1)
  • Special A, Vol. 02 (Special A, #2)
  • Special A, Vol. 3 (Special A, #3)
  • Special A, Vol. 4 (Special A, #4)
  • Special A, Vol. 5 (Special A, #5)
  • Special A, Vol. 6 (Special A, #6)
  • Special A, Vol. 7 (Special A, #7)
  • Special A, Vol. 8 (Special A, #8)
  • Special A, Vol. 9 (Special A, #9)
  • Special A, Vol. 10 (Special A, #10)