Start by marking “Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!” as Want to Read:
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!

(Pigeon)

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  70,543 ratings  ·  3,528 reviews
When a bus driver takes a break from his route, a very unlikely volunteer springs up to take his place-a pigeon! But you've never met one like this before. As he pleads, wheedles, and begs his way through the book, children will love being able to answer back and decide his fate.

In his hilarious picture book debut, popular cartoonist Mo Willems perfectly captures a prescho
Published April 1st 2003 by Hyperion Books for Children

To ask other readers questions about Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!, please sign up.
Allison A Garvey It is very funny and very short I recommend this to 10 and under kids but yes it's very good
RAYMOND S
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  70,543 ratings  ·  3,528 reviews

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Sorry, OKAY? I'm sure that many readers can make well-thought analyzes of this book but :

1) I kinda hate that freaking pigeon.

UGHH so annoying, I swear.

2) I must have read it wrong : I don't see the point at all except making children yell NO!! I mean, good for you, but in my experience, it's not something that hard to achieve now is it? There are books way more interesting that get the readers involved.

3) I must have seen the pictures wrong, because I thought that they were pretty awful, and
James
As part of a Children's Readathon on my blog in August 2018, Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! by Mo Willems was selected as one of the award-winning books to read. It took home the Caldecott Honor Award in 2004. Since I'd just finished my children's education courses in college right before then, I never had a chance to read this one. It was a first-time experience thanks to the lovely Nina @ The Cozy Pages; she suggested this wonderful book.

A pigeon driving a bus? Well.. it's very cute and p
Matt
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Neo really enjoys much of what Mo Willems has to offer and this series is no exception. When the bus driver has to step away for a few minutes, he asks the reader to keep an eye on the bus. Easy work for sure, with only one golden rule: don't let the pigeon drive the bus. Well, that pigeon is as stubborn as a mule and will do anything to get the reader to allow him to drive. When nothing seems to work and pitching a fit gets him nowhere, he storms off, only to encounter another potential adventu ...more
Archit Ojha
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
I read this book and thought to research some more on pigeons.
All I found was, that pigeons' population is growing leaps and bounds. They are a mess to every car owners. They live where people are there to feed them and all they do it again create a mess.

I can't imagine pigeons taking over the world and ruling over human beings. That's why it is advised not to let the pigeon drive the bus.
Cyndi
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My grandson, Mr. H, loves the pigeon books! With this one he was supposed to tell the pigeon "no" every time he asked to drive the bus. But, Mr. H is a bit of a rebel. He kept telling the pigeon that as long as he was careful he could drive the bus. 🤷♀ ...more
Calista
I do not like the artwork of Mo Willems. He did the Elephant and Piggie series and I didn’t like that series. Now, the kids did like it. I went into this with dread, I’ll be honest.

This was very creative. This gets the reader involved. A bus driver asks us to look after his bus while he is gone and he tells us not to let the pigeon drive the bus under any circumstances. The pigeon spends the book trying to get us to let him drive the bus. He uses all the tricks that children use on adults. It’s
Brent Weeks
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
The friendly bus driver entrusts the reader with not letting the pigeon drive the bus. The rest of the story is the pigeon wheedling the reader to let him drive the bus.

I really like this idea. Younger kids can just read the story and see the pigeon throwing a fit. It’s funny, the pigeon’s silly and tries all the sorts of excuses and whining that a child uses when they want anything.

BUT the text also allows you to take it further: the pigeon says, “Come on, just for 5 minutes?” You can turn to
Ronyell
I have read many books by Mo Willems that have been honored with the Caldecott Honor award, which included the “Knuffle Bunny” series. Now I have recently read “Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!” which is actually Mo Willems’ first children’s book and is a Caldecott Honor book and it is about how the Pigeon keeps asking the audience if he could drive the bus after the bus driver leaves to run an errand. “Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!” is truly a memorable book that children can read over ...more
Sophia Triad
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is one of these books that you start laughing when you read the title.
The rest of the story is still over the top cutely ridiculous.
The children must not be convinced by the devious pigeon and let it drive the bus when the bus driver takes a break.

And I have to say that this kind of books are equally enjoyable for both my child and myself!
Philip
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This was my daughter's first exposure to peer pressure. She let that bus driver know that under no circumstance would she let the pigeon drive the bus. Then, when the pigeon was begging and pleading with her, she held her ground and told that bird to back the freak off.

Well done. Keep that attitude when people are trying to talk you into buying smokes that cost $14.75 a pack.
Jenny
Jul 23, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those working with 2-5s
A short but snappy story from popular cartoonist Mo Willems. 'Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus' is guaranteed to leave you with a big smile on your face! I am not ashamed to say that this story brought out the dramatist in me as I read it out loud to a mother and toddler group!

The best part had to be the glorious double page spread of illustrations showing all of the pigeon's techniques to convince you to let him drive the bus... "Your MUM said that I could...", "I'll give you five pounds!" (
Kathryn
3.5 STARS. I thought this was a well thought out book, but I'm not sure how much of dear little Pigeon I'll be able to take. Initially, I thought he was cute if rather whiny (The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!) This time, I thought he was borderline obnoxious and manipulative. Which, of course, is the point, I think! Maybe it's to illustrate the absurdity of kids trying to get their parents to let them do things that there is absolutely no way they can/should do!

It was, perhaps, just my mood and perhaps
Mimi
My 6-year old nephew is learning English, and I bet he's going to love this book...
Or not, because it's too close to home... He's just like that little pigeon, all polite and begging when he wants something, and if you say 'no', he'll explode... But he's a darling, really.

Anyways, great book to read out loud to little kids.
Rossy
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
A bus driver has to leave for a moment and asks you (the reader), not to let the pigeon drive his bus.
But the pigeon really REALLY wants to drive the bus... and he tries to convince you, he pleads, he begs, will he finally drive it?
Hysterical, I loved the pigeon. Simple yet adorable book.
Renee
The illustrations and text will make children laugh hysterically as the pigeon gets more and more frustrated. This is an excellent book for demonstrating expressive reading.

Received starred reviews in SLJ and Booklist.
Brenda Cregor
Aug 15, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Someone get me some crayons and a word processor with Courier font! There is hope for me to become a published author, yet. :0)

I do not understand why this book EVER won the Caldecott Award ( for illustrations), and with all of my analytic powers have yet to understand the significance of the storyline.

Is it about emotional intelligence?
A masked attack on "bird brained" people?
Union loyalty?

I am underwhelmed.
Chance Lee
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-it
Willems takes advantage of every page in this story of a pigeon who really really (really) wants to drive the bus. Every page -- the title page, the endpapers. Even the copyright page says "all rights reserved for humans, not pigeons." The artwork is nice, a combination of thick black outlines textured as if drawn with a colored pencil, and smooth ink filling the outlines. Minimalistic, but gets the job done. Unlike pigeon (who doesn't get to drive the bus).
midnightfaerie
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Another wonderful Mo Willems book, that got the whole family involved. I've started reading to the kids over some meals, breakfast with cereal is a favorite one. It's gotten so that even one of my 2 yr old twins, Cole, has been asking me to read as soon as the cereal comes out. Willems is high on our list of favorites and this one was also read several times. Great illustrations and concept, it could almost be labeled a level 1 book for a beginner reader.
Maggie Becker
This book was absolutely adorable! The words were simple and extremely easy to follow. The rhythm of the entire book made it fun to flip the pages and keep up with the pigeons antics. On top of it, the illustrations were simple, which I enjoyed. Sometimes little detail is the best detail. I would definitely read this again and recommend it to others!
Tyreese
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My all time favorite children's book in the world! The illustrations, the simple writing, everything about this book is amazing. It really brought me back to my childhood.. 5 stars!! ❤❤❤ ...more
Teri-K
You practically have to tie my six year old grandson to a chair to read a story to him. Video games he loves, books not so much. So my hopes weren't high when I brought this book home from the library. I managed to read it to him once last night. He joined right in to the spirit of the book, telling the pigeon 'No' over and over. Then he asked to read it three more times. Then more at bedtime. He also asked if we had to return this one or could we keep it? This morning he talked about writing a ...more
Tatiana
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! is an excellent example of a dialogue-driven children's book. You can't help but smile as the pigeon in question pleads his case for taking the giant vehicle around the block, perhaps because his reasonings are so similar to that of young kids' arguing style. The double-page, irreverent illustrations only add to the comedy of the pigeon's situation. A must for read-alouds in the primary grades.
Jenn
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first saw this book, I thought it looked dumb. I was so wrong! It is hands-down the funniest, most enjoyable book for Zoe and me to read together. She laughs hysterically at the pigeon's pleading and his spiral into crazy over wanting to drive the bus. Highly recommend.
Ryan Madman Reads & Rocks
Why would a pigeon want to drive a bus???
Kris
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
So funny. My son and I were both laughing throughout. I mean, his cousin Herb drives a bus, so Pigeon should totally be allowed to!
Elsa
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book for my niece and ended up loving it so much that i decided to keep this copy with myself and buy another for her. Growing up, i had the habit of accepting requests and desires of other people for keeping their hearts even if i didn't feel like it, even now i can't properly deny someone, so I believe if i could read this in my childhood it would have been a big help.
I recommend this for sure.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
As the story opens, a friendly bus driver asks the reader to watch his bus, and whatever happened, Don't Let The Pigeon Drive the Bus. Of course the pigeon appears as soon as the driver leaves with one request, he wants to drive the bus. I really like this idea. Young children can read or listen to this story and see the pigeon try to cajole, weedle, whine and even have a major tantrum to get what he wants. My grandson thought the pigeon was funny, and was sure he never acted like that. The book ...more
Dina
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
This book was SO FUN! I read it with my seven year old sister and we were both able to really enjoy it. My sister loved that the pigeon “talked” to her and she happily shouted out the answers. I personally found the illustrations hysterical and the pigeon enjoyably annoying. It’s so nice to read a kid’s book that can appeal to an adults sense of humor too!
Cynthia Egbert
I suppose I need to find a small child to read this one with because I just don't get it. But I can now cross one more off of the hundred best children's books list.
Kate
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

A fun, quirky, and cute book about a pigeon who begs you to drive a bus. When you won’t let the pigeon, it gets it into its head to want to drive a truck

• What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • Bark, George
  • Shark vs. Train
  • Yo! Yes?
  • There Are Cats in This Book
  • Not a Box
#1 New York Times Bestselling author and illustrator Mo Willems is best known for his Caldecott Honor winning picture books Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus and Knuffle Bunny: a cautionary tale.

In addition to such picture books as Leonardo the Terrible Monster, Edwina the Dinosaur Who Didn’t Know She Was Extinct, and Time to Pee, Mo has created the Elephant and Piggie books, a series of early r

Pigeon (9 books)
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!
  • The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
  • The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too!
  • The Pigeon Loves Things That Go!
  • The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!
  • The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon series)
  • The Pigeon Needs a Bath!
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
“I bet your mom would let me."
-Pigeon, Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus-”
72 likes