Start by marking “The Duppy” as Want to Read:
The Duppy

The Duppy

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  166 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Baps, a Jamaican shopkeeper, drops dead unexpectedly one Saturday morning and finds himself being transported to heaven via a crowded minibus. To enter heaven, he discovers that he must crawl through a culvert in a canefield. Everything about paradise that he had been raised to expect and believe, he finds to be utterly and completely wrong.
Published March 1st 2007 by MacMillan Caribbean (first published December 31st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Duppy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Duppy

Stacia
Feb 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: caribbean, 2015
A duppy [ghost] relates ribald & amusing anecdotes of Jamaican heaven.

The Duppy is an entertaining, quick read, imo. I read another of Winkler's books (The Lunatic) a couple of years ago & quite enjoyed it. His books do seem to make the most Jamaican patois, raunchy humor, & outlook on life. Looking at Winkler's books on the Akashic Books site, it looks like ebook versions (nook, ibook, kobo, kindle) of his books are just $2.99 for the month of February (2015).

It's kind of interestin
Stop
Jan 21, 2009 added it
Shelves: reviewed
Read the STOP SMILING review of The Duppy:

Anthony C. Winkler’s The Duppy is the most laugh-out-loud funny novel I’ve read in years. Chronicling the death and afterlife of Taddeus Baps, Jamaican shopkeeper cum “duppy” — island slang for soul or ghost — the book blends postmodern metafiction with folklorist regionalism in a raucous contemporary satire of the wages of sin.

Read the complete STOP SMILING reivew...
T
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was more philosophical than I expected it to be, with profound insight buried within sarcastic comments and outrageous events. This work of speculative fiction speaks about the spiritual condition of humans and how much we invest in suffering as a way to enforce 'justice'. It attempts to show how our 'shoulds' keep us from enjoying what is. I finished this book feeling like there was a tremendous amount being communicated by the author within its brief pages, and I felt certain that th ...more
Rattyfleef
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is rated J for Jamaican. Foreigners are advised to have a West Indian on hand to translate.

Not for true. Most terms can be inferred from context. This was hilarious and rather sweet. Recommended. There's no plot as such, or rather it follows the old Man Vs Himself personal journey (y halo there secondary school lit). Tension comes from how dense Baps is and how it takes him so long to clue in. A quick read, I enjoyed it and it will be making the rounds through my relatives and friends
Melanie R
May 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Love it. Possibly my absolute favourite. this book always makes me laugh and keeps me grounded.

Thank you so very much Mr. Winkler.Life would be so much simple if everyone recognised God and humanity like this!
Denise
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Totally Jamaican classic comedy with a twist of controversy. It touches on religion, social casting, inhibitions, and boils them down in a cultural stew of Jamaican patois, beliefs and every day life.
Alana
Jul 29, 2011 added it
"One Saturday morning, not very long ago, I dropped dead and turned into a duppy." Definitely unconventional!
Simone
Oct 16, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nonsense.
Marvin
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: religion
"One Saturday morning, not very long ago, I dropped dead and turned into a duppy" [that is, a sort of Jamaican ghost]. Thus begins The Duppy. The rest relates Taddeus Augustus Baps's experiences in Jamaican heaven, with a side trip along with God and a doubting philosopher to the American heaven. The Jamaican heaven is sort of a glorified Jamaica, where everything makes one happy--including beatings & getting run over by a bus--and a person has all the sex one wants . . . and more. The other ...more
Lisa  Kilgariff
Apr 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Winkle has a way with language and description that is not often encountered. He integrated a true feeling of Jamaican-ness into his story (perhaps a little overdone but well overdone…) creating a hilarious heavenly world with angelic sheep and ’nuff pum-pum (sex). His version of Jamaican heaven plays of the idea each Caribbean island holds, that God is (in this case) Jamaica and that their island is heaven on Earth. Winkler always manages to touch on some of the many social issues affecting the ...more
Michael
I don't why I thought Winkler was a mystery writer, but The Duppy is more of a hippie Mark Twain novel, where our narrator goes to heaven and talks with God, a screws a lot of angel women, and has a few quirky adventures. This is the kind of Kurt Vonnegut, Tom Robbins fare that I loved when I was 19. It's sort of dogmatic in its anti-dogmatism and a bit smug and condescending in its humor. The prose is fine. Winkler's got the conversational tone down perfectly, and he certainly captures some sor ...more
Tenecia
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club, caribbean
This is the 3rd Winkler book I've read and not my fave. I felt he had an interesting idea, but was purposefully trying to push buttons and kind of buried the idea along the way.

His concepts of heaven were definitely interesting to read and I liked the way he wrapped Jamaican opinions of Americans into how they would behave in heaven.
Paul
May 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-my-shelf
The first half of this book is magic and actually had me laughing out loud in public so often on holiday that i feared folks around thought I was mad. But the tale of a Duppy (ghost) going to heaven on a Jamaican minibus looses its way somewhere in the middle and left me wishing that the journey would end.
Becky
Apr 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strange book that I wouldn't necessarily recommend. You must push through the first third of the book before there are some interesting and profound things to think about, particulary whether or not you are a "shouldist" (one who does not accept things as they are but insists they be as they think they should be). Interesting...
Linda
Mar 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pleasure
A very interesting take on the afterlife. Lots of humor and parts that begged to be read out loud and shared with others. I struggled a bit moving in and out of the Jamaican patois (which seemed somewhat inconsistent to my untrained ear).
Rion Scott
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Pretty hilarious. For much of it I shrugged, chuckled and asked what it added up to. Then like any good satire, the gags grow in depth and there is a pretty powerful core. This is like a 3.8.
Shenice
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is too funny!
V.J.
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Delightful, original take on what the afterlife promises. I found this book laugh-out-loud funny on many occasions, and I'm sure I missed a good deal of the political and cultural references.
Cindy
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: caribbean-books
Coming from the high of "Lunatic" I expected the same amount of laughter, was still there but not as great of Lunatic. Still a good read though.
Andrea
Apr 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
One of the funniest books I've read in a long time, as well as a very poignant social commentary.
Christa
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not as funny as the Lunatic but still I nice read with a few chuckles...one of my favorite Jamaican authors
Todd Dills
Feb 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who want to laugh.
Oh so laugh-out-loud, folks. All for now. More later. . .
Tammy
Dec 06, 2011 marked it as to-read
Recommended in the book Tolstoy and the Purple Chair.
Nicqui
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best opening lines after Pride and Prejudice.
William Clifton
Never reviewed anything before. Good book. this dude does not like fundamentalists and he is pretty funny saying so.
Marie
Jul 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Hilarious.
Yennie
May 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud good. Loved it. Check out the review at the Hipster Book Club.
Lisa
Jun 09, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Fun, but not great.
Kailin
May 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although there were times that i loved the language and cadence of this book - it was kind of annoying to read.
Puno
Jul 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The funniest book I've ever read and the closest way to get into the mind of a Jamaican ghost.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Pepperpot: Best New Stories from the Caribbean
  • Artificial Light
  • Godlike
  • Drifting
  • The Nervous System (Dewey Decimal #2)
  • Istanbul Noir
  • Brooklyn Noir 2: The Classics
Anthony C. Winkler was a successful Jamaican novelist and popular contributor to many post-secondary English literary texts.

See Wikipedia
More about Anthony C. Winkler...