Start by marking “Job's Body” as Want to Read:
Job's Body

Job's Body

Possibly the most famous and widely used resource in therapeutic bodywork, this beautifully written, detailed and reader-friendly picture of how and why the body responds to touch is both scientifically reliable and inspiring. Furthering the presentation of recent research in biochemistry, cell biology and energy medicine in the Second Edition, this new and greatly expande ...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Barrytown/Station Hill Press, Inc. (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Job's Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Job's Body

Start your review of Job's Body
Jen Marin
Aug 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
I found this book just as inspiring this time as I did the first time I read it. His explorations of the connective tissue framework are especially intriguing. I also really appreciate the reminders of just how much of our nervous system is located outside of the cranium. I think this is a great book for any bodyworker that really wants to explore the deeper aspects of human physiology.
Greg
Sep 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book on human physiology for bodyworkers. Some of the speculative flights of fancy in the final three chapters may not be true and I have some reservations about the prevalence of citations of old science, since science is generally obsolete in 10 years, but generally it is very useful for massage therapists.
Asa
Jul 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in how the human body works
Juhan gives some amazing perspective on how the body works, especially in terms of the significance of bodywork. It's well researched and very well written, but he goes into detail, so it can get a little thick in places.
Maggie Lang
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great read for ALL massage therapists and/or anyone who works with the human form.
Jul 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
a must for any bodyworker... beautifully, artfully written. it's a book to read over and over again.
david
Mar 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
anyone interested in the wonders of the human body would find this to be a fascinating read.
Steve Meier
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: massage-therapy
Excellent but tedious read with focus on somatic aspects of bodywork. Some of the information is a bit outdated but still has a lot of gems about mind and body.
Mati
Mar 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A wild and profound penetration of human anatomy and physiology written by a brillant writer and bodyworker. Deane Juhan explores the systems of the body most effected by bodywork.
Pj
Apr 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i like how he looks at the body and how he discusses the 'intuition' of the healer/bodyworker
Liwana
Jan 16, 2009 marked it as to-read
This is "homework" for an equine body working course I am taking in July.
Alyson
Jul 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
A long hard slog, found it a bit repetitive and too densely written. Is now pretty out-dated and even the additional chapters at the end of the 3rd edition don't go into detail about 'modern' pain theories such as the bio-psycho-social model. Also hugely disappointed by the animal abuse and experiments quoted.
Celeste Cooper
May 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As an author of self help books, registered nurse, and advocate for chronic pain issues, I am always looking for information to broaden my own knowledge base, but that’s not the only reason I read books like Job’s Body. I happen to be a chronic pain patient. The greatest pain generator for me is a condition we don’t hear much about, but we should, myofascial pain syndrome. I am reviewing from a professional and patient perspective.

Deane Juhan does a marvelous job explaining exactly what the skin
kyle
Despite its age (first written in the 80s and while updated, there have been many advances in understanding Juhan does not include), this book remains not just vital, but vibrant. Sure there are issues I had with it. For a book that purports to use science to understand the power of touch, there are far too many conclusions that are not backed up. It is often confusing where exactly Juhan derives his information. But as a catalyst, and a poetic one, Job's Body works beautifully in 2011. I've alr ...more
Pete
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
A good resource for everyone, expressly for masseuses on understanding how the body responds to touch from a scientific point of view.

I found this most illuminating when I looked up why did any massage technique not produce the expected results. Tons of other useful sensory information in this great book.
TurtleMoon
May 29, 2012 added it
Shelves: bodywork
An Excellent book that I highly recommend to bodyworkers. I don't even know of any book that compares to this one in content and quality. Is there even another book on the same subject, really? there were a couple small sections that I just couldn't agree with.
Amy Elizabeth

I admit to picking more current fiction over this. I will get back to it someday.
Michelle
Feb 18, 2010 is currently reading it
I don't know if I'll ever finish this; I read it sporadically depending on my current biology questions.
Dana Christy

• Sad Girls
  • Love Letters to the Dead
  • Saint Anything
  • Healthy Eating for Life for Women
  • Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure
  • Wilderness First Responder: How to Recognize, Treat, and Prevent Emergencies in the Backcountry
  • Gutbliss: A 10-Day Plan to Ban Bloat, Flush Toxins, and Dump Your Digestive Baggage
  • Paleofantasy: What Evolution Really Tells Us about Sex, Diet, and How We Live
  • Deep Tissue Massage, Revised Edition: A Visual Guide to Techniques
  • Bravo!: Health Promoting Meals from the Truenorth Health Kitchen
  • Trigger Point Therapy for Myofascial Pain: The Practice of Informed Touch
  • Medicine for the Outdoors: The Essential Guide to Emergency Medical Procedures and First Aid
  • Perfectly Hidden Depression: How to Break Free from the Perfectionism that Masks Your Depression
  • Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes: The Scientifically Proven System for Reversing Diabetes Without Drugs

News & Interviews

“Our flesh is like silly putty that distorts when it is ignored. We are constantly obliged to actively participate in its formation, or else it will droop of its own weight and plasticity.
This incessant formation we cannot stop. We can only make the choice to let it go its own way - directed by genetics, gravity, appetites, habits, the accidentals of our surroundings, and so on - or the choice to let our sensory awareness penetrate its processes, to be personally present in the midst of those processes with the full measure of our subjective, internal observations and responses, and to some degree direct the course of that formation.

We do not have the option of remaining passively unchanged, and to believe for a moment in this illusion is to invite distortions and dysfunctions. Like putty, we are either shaping ourselves or we are drooping; like clay, we either keep ourselves moist and malleable or we are drying and hardening. We must do one or the other; we may not passively avoid the issue.”
2 likes