Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears' Trouble with Money” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears' Trouble with Money

The Berenstain Bears' Trouble with Money (The Berenstain Bears)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  4,137 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
To earn coins for the Astro Bear video game, Brother and Sister Bear find ways to work for money. How they find the middle ground between being spendthrifts and little misers makes for a funny, realistic story.
Published September 12th 1983 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published September 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears' Trouble with Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears' Trouble with Money

Kristal
Apr 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
Once again, this is a story where Papa bear looks like a raging, idiotic, hypocrite.

Also, the message is confusing. First, it's bad that the cubs are spending their money. Then it's bad that they are counting it and holding on to it in a piggy bank and sugar bowl. But it's okay to hold onto it in the bank? Why do they look like misers if they are counting their money but not if they have bank account before they are 10 years of age? And in the end, is it bad or good for cubs to earn money, have
Stacy
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Brother and sister learn the value of money and working hard to earn it.
Kristine Hansen
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm coming away from this book a little confused. The cubs have no idea the value of money - and spend all the time. Then because Papa Bear complains about it, they set about proving just how easy money is to earn - also proving they still don't know the value of money, because it never means anything to them at all. I don't see where they necessarily learned anything in this book. Nor do we learn anything about money in general, or in how to handle it.

Also, it sets up an unreasonable expectati
Slow Man
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I am impressed with the content. Are you sure this series are for beginner readers? It sure is a great help for any spendthrift persons of any age. Don’t spend more than your income and learn to save for rainy days. Another figure of speech for the children bears.
Kristen
Jun 28, 2011 rated it liked it
The Berenstain Bears’ Trouble With Money
Reading Level: Easy Reader, Ages 4-8
Genre: Fiction, Humor

This story teaches practical lessons about money with a bit of humor. The story begins with Brother and Sister spending money that is simply given to them, as a present, from their neighbor, Gramps, and even Papa. Mama is concerned with how they instantly spend all of their money on material items and save nothing. This story takes you from one extreme to the other. Where the cubs are spending all of
Dolly
Feb 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: money, 2012, childrens
This is an interesting book that shows how brother and sister bear learn about and come to appreciate money. It's not my favorite book for teaching children about money, but it does have some good principles.

I like that it shows the young bears working hard to earn money, but it seems far easier than it is and their transformation from irresponsible spendthrifts to being smart and savvy with their money was a bit too abrupt. Still, it's an entertaining book by Stan Berenstain and Jan Berenstain
Desiree Giroux
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
I usually really like the Berenstain Bears books...this one just didn't do it for me. I am trying to teach my 6 year old about money... saving, spending, earning. I felt that this book just didn't deal with enough situations that would make sense for my child. It was nice how the cubs did a lot of work to earn a lot of money and wonderful at the end how they gave it away. But that isn't realistic to how my son would have to deal with chores and saving money for a special toy. I wish they would h ...more
Stef
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a good one, as it actually demonstrates a journey of learning a lesson instead of Mama Bear (always Mama Bear!) sensibly going blah blah blah moral and then DONE. Although, the cubs decide to change their spendthrift ways after hearing Papa shout three turn of phrases, which is odd and far-fetched. I appreciated the cubs' entrepreneurial spirit!
Jessica brown
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This one was a good book because it taught you about money which nowadays is crucial knowledge to have. Money when your younger is an unknown object that we have no clue how to use. This book helped me to save money and figure out what I would wnato to do with it. My mother always told me to save and that I would need to know the value of a dollar before I undrestood money and this book helped me do that. Money doesn’t grow on tree’s and it is very valuable in many situations. I love this book a ...more
Alex Housman
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: popular-series
Brother and Sister Bear are at it again! They knew money was fun to have, but more fun to spend. This book is cleverly written to teach children to save their money and not be greedy. We should be sensible with finances is the ultimate goal behind this children's book. Mama and Papa Bear do their best to teach Brother and Sister about saving money at an early age. I grew up with these books and have always enjoyed them, I plan to have them for my children in the future also.
Nickie
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-tales
So the trouble with money is that...It doesn't grow on trees, Papa isn't made of it, and you have to save it for a rainy day. The allowance idea is vetoed because they Cubs need to learn to earn money. The Cubs come up with many unique ideas doing what they know to earn money and they save all of it. Except things get slightly out of control when the Cubs start selling family secrets. But all turns out well and the Cubs end up starting a savings account at the bank!
Miri
Brother and Sister don't know the value of a dollar, every time they get money they spend it right away, so Papa decides enough is enough and they should work for their money. Brother and Sister do work. They pick flowers to sell, and blackberries, the do chores for neighbors and pet sit. Soon all they care about is making money. The cubs go from not caring about money at all to caring way too much. What will Mama and Papa do to teach the cubs how to be responsible without being greedy?
Christian Singer
Dec 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
What are parents to do when their children spend money like there's no tomorrow? Mama and Papa Bear watch their children's money habits, and Papa steals Mama's idea about how to deal with it.

I enjoy the Berenstain Bears books because they provide valuable insight in dealing with family problems. I recommend them to parents struggling to teach their children manners and useful life skills.
Beth
Apr 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Brother doesn't even have a piggy bank and Mama is worried about their spendthrift ways. Papa gets mad when they waste money on video games and knocks over a chair. Then, parents worry that cubs are getting greedy raising money and selling family honey tree secrets. Papa is humbled when they give him all of the money. Next they visit the bank and start earning an allowance.
Elizabeth S
May 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: f-picture
This is one of the more classic stories in the Berenstain Bears canon. It does demonstrate that one should not immediately spend what one earns, the value of saving, and the value of working hard to earn money. There isn't anything about budgeting and planning how to spend your money, though.
chucklesthescot
Brother and Sister are spending all their money on silly things, causing Mama and Papa Bear to wonder how to better teach them about the value of money and how to save it. Watching Papa Bear explode over the thought of wasting money playing games at the Arcade was amusing!
Ryan Hazen
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't know why this book is marketed to children; I'm a grown man and this book was way more informative than the boring lectures that my bank gives me. I highly recommend this book to people in college and recent graduates. Total eyeopener.
Angela Scott
Apr 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book has a great lesson for kids, but I think some kids understood it better than others. I would wait to read this one to school-agers and read other Berenstein Bears books with moral plots at earlier ages.
Stacey
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: responsibility
These books are wonderful because they teach students of all ages how to solve real life issues. Trouble with money teaches students about responsibility. It helps students understand why saving money and managing money properly are important.
Amy
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
didn't really help explain money very well.
Thomas
Cute book.
Jenny
Oct 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love Berenstain Bears book and this one teaches a good lesson about money and saving and not just wanting and getting stuff. Like that it emphasizes importance of work.
Sarah King
Brother and Sister Bear have trouble saving money for a new Astro Bear video game!
Sharon
Apr 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: to-a-child
Relatively new in rotation. More petulance on the part of Papa Bear.
Sue
Jun 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love all the Berenstain Bears' books. so many useful lessons in each one.
Beyond the Pages
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Great for a life lesson study during family discussion time!
Brian
Sep 06, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids
It didn't really teach much, aside from a couple of figures of speech. Then it goes and throws in a concept of interest from the bank. I wasn't too impressed with this one.
Danny
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
Danny has taken to reading books at breakfast on his own (or inveigling his dad to do it, if possible). This is a recent favorite.///
Todd Stansbury
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I suppose it's a good lesson about saving money, and my daughter likes it, so there you go.
  • I Just Forgot (Little Critter)
  • The Berenstain Bears: Safe and Sound!
  • Good Work, Amelia Bedelia
  • Clifford Takes A Trip
  • Arthur's Pet Business (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Little Miss Helpful
  • Leo the Lop
  • Just Lost! (Little Critter)
More about Stan Berenstain

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand