Start by marking “Vampire Junction” as Want to Read:
Vampire Junction

Vampire Junction

(Timmy Valentine #1)

". . . It's about rock music, about mass hysteria, about vampires, about horror . . . one comes out knowing, and caring, about a panoply of new friends and acquaintances, living and dead, and unalive".--Theodore Sturgeon, The Washington Post.
Mass Market, 384 pages
Published July 15th 1991 by Tor Books (first published September 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Vampire Junction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampire Junction

Marvin
Jun 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autographed, horror
Rock 'n Roll vampires? Yeah. I know. Except Vampire Junction predates The Vampire Lestat by a year and Timmy Valentine is more like Justin Beiber with a cape and a blood obsession. It's a rollicking yarn and it has a nice bent on the Vampire angle.

Update: Another goodreads reviewer reminded me what makes this novel stand out from the other vampire books. (It's been awhile since I've read it) Vampire Junction is from a Jungian aspect rather than the usual Freudian. So now we have these four schoo
Michael
Dec 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Vampire fans, jungians, goths
Recommended to Michael by: Serendipity
Shelves: pulp-fiction
Not all that many months ago, I posted a "placeholder" review for this book, intending to update it when I re-read it. Having now re-read it, I don't have very much to add, so I'm going to leave that in place. All I would say now is that some intriguing concepts get drowned in a sea of gratuitous blood, leaving only a slight impression on the mind.
I know I read it, but I don't remember much about it at all. I did look it over a bit to refresh my memory about it, but that only drew my attention t
Robert
Jan 10, 2009 rated it liked it
I stopped reading horror fiction years ago. With few exceptions, the genre seemed full of implausible characters in generically tense situations making the stupidest choices possible. Vampire Junction is an exception. Vampire Junction has restored my belief in the horror genre’s potential to explore the unexplainable dread we feel when everything is going well and we think we should be feeling only contented and pleased.

It is my favorite kind of read – ambitious storytelling with multiple storyl
Sara
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Two stars for interesting ideas, but the pacing and writing didn't really grab me. The exploding bodies at Timmy's final concert were a bit much, but then I read the scene in Bluebeard's castle and had to stop.

I read a short story by Somtow in Mothership: Tales from Afrofuturism and Beyond that I enjoyed, so I would read something else by this author, but I just couldn't finish this one.
Karen
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
I read this book when it first came out back in the 80's. I think it is that rare combination of horror and black hunor that Robert Bloch was so well known for. That Timmy is a vampire is really just a device to take the reader on a wild ride that manages to satirize everything from bubble gum rock to psychotherapy to characters in history while delivering a truly horrific story. Somtow is a prolific, award winning Thai writer, musician and composer. This book has been rated as one of the top ho ...more
TDR
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OK, I like books about vampires. Bram Stoker hooked me into the genre when I was a child, a long time ago. This book stands out because of its concept of a boy vampire, made 2000 years ago and having Greek as his first language who manges to stay alive until present times, having gone through so many identities and languages that he has difficulty remembering them all.

Enter Timmy Valentine, 12 year old rock star whose voice is so unearthly he doesn't seem to be breathing. Well, he isn't. One way
Julia
Nov 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires
This novel and the two that follow it are about Timmy Valentine, who goes by many names, is a 2,000 year old vampire who looks like a 12 year old boy and in the present is a rock star. Like Saint Germain, he is not evil, but the vampires he makes are. Also like Saint Germain, Timmy and some of those who he is surrounded by for a very long time are musicians.
Adam
Oct 10, 2008 rated it it was ok
2000 year old in 12 year old body vampire eunich singer: intriguing
hot 40 year old analyst-to-vampire: intresting
plot: awful.

what an awful book. I'd say it was a ripoff of The Vampire Lestat, but it was written 2 years earlier. it gets an extra star for the interesting characters, but probably only deserves one.

Quentin
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Horror fans, 80s horror fans, whatever kind of horror fan you are
So, having just recently finished S.P. Somtow's Vampire Junction, I wanted to give my opinions on it. I started it around April, and it pretty much took me an entire month to read the whole book (including school days). Suffice to say, it was kind of worth it!

I found out about Vampire Junction through Etsy (which I look through constantly to see any interesting horror paperbacks). The cheesy cover on the Tor reprint was one reason I was brought into its cold, dark grasp. The other reason was tha

Richard
Dec 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, ghost, stories
amusing schlock with a talking bowel
Kate Downton
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Deathburst
Une histoire de vampire relativement originale, qui par certains côtés me rappelle le cycle du Bois des Mythagos, et qui me laisse la même impression bizarre.

J'ai apprécié ma lecture parce qu'elle m'a poussé hors de ma zone de confort et de mes ouvrages habituels, mais j'aurais du mal à dire s'il s'agit vraiment d'un bon bouquin.

Réflexions sur la nature humaine, sur les archétypes, les sentiments et leur influence sur le monde réel. Pas inintéressant, mais relativement abscons.

Je suis surpris de
Gemma
Jan 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you love vampires (yes vampires, not weird sparkly things that are overly romanticised) then this one and Valentine are the books for you.
Kimm
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this way back in HS. I think it was my first Vampire Novel and I found it equal parts harrowing and thrilling. To this day it stands out in my mind as the standard for vampire lore. Disturbing but oh so good!
Jack
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, horror
Oddly, my copy, with the same ISBN, is a hardcover "Starblaze Edition".
Cat Treadwell
rated it did not like it
May 07, 2012
David Davies
Sep 09, 2012
Kim Evans
Feb 02, 2015

• Shattered Glass (Austra Family, #1)
  • Red Death (Jonathan Barrett, Gentleman Vampire, #1)
  • Blood Red
  • Under the Fang
  • Single White Vampire Seeks Same
  • Ghoul  (Special X, #2)
  • Afterage
  • Of Masques and Martyrs (Shadow Saga #3)
  • Path of the Eclipse (Saint-Germain, #4)
  • The Empire of Fear
  • Kiss of the Vampire (Creed, #1)
  • Renfield: Slave of Dracula
  • Live Girls (Davey Owen #1)
  • The Golden
  • The Book of Common Dread (Vincent DeVilbiss, #1)
  • Vampire$
  • Blood Secrets
  • The Time of Feasting
Called by the Bangkok Post "the Thai person known by name to most people in the world," S.P. Somtow is an author, composer, filmmaker, and international media personality whose dazzling talents and acerbic wit have entertained and enlightened fans the world over.

He was Somtow Papinian Sucharitkul in Bangkok. His grandfather's sister was a Queen of Siam, his father is a well known international la

Timmy Valentine (3 books)
  • Valentine