Start by marking “Bonewits's Essential Guide to Druidism” as Want to Read:
Bonewits's Essential Guide to Druidism

Bonewits's Essential Guide to Druidism

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  351 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
A book about Druids unlike any other, Bonewits's Essential Guide to Druidism not only goes far behind the usual Celtic and Classical references by discussing the evolution and migration of the Proto-Indo-European peoples, from whom the Celts arose, but also discusses the beliefs and ritual practices of both the British and American streams of modern Druidry, as well as pro ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Citadel

B.  Barron
Jan 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith
Excellent book. I cannot rave enough, for the author prefaces the book listing his biases! OMG I am not gay, but I think I love the man! Every human being has biases, and I am sick and tired of people pretending they are unbiased! Its crap and its so refreshing to see a little honesty.

My only difficulty with the book was the section detailing rituals, and I am showing my biases here. Religious rituals give me the screaming willies (even those of my Christian brethren – I WILL NOT participate in
Heka
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this as a follow-up to The Druidry Handbook. It certainly has a lot more depth than Greer's book. That being said, I got the impression that much of this was highly specific to Bonewits' tradition and experience. It seems to me that this would be most useful and interesting to someone who intends to become a Druid or is seriously considering that path.
Onyx
May 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: pagan activists and Occupiers.
Shelves: cultural-magicks
I always did like Mr. Bonewits. His writing style is humorous, interesting, and educational. He would have been a great college teacher if the university system would have let him.
In this book, he veers off the magical path he covered in Real Magic. Even though he does an amazing job covering a normally boring subject like prehistory, as well as the background of historical and reconstructed druidism, he spends very little time addressing modern druid magic...in spite of what the back of the boo
Chad
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it
"Essential" as in the bare essentials NOT as in absolutely necessary .

This is not a "how-to" book, but brief overview/introduction of what druidism is. The first half is a history of druidism, from the Celts to the 17th c. revivalists to the modern neo-pagans. The second half is a survey of common beliefs and practices of some current druid groups.

If you have no idea where to start this will point you in the right direction(s). If you've looked up a few druid organizations online and read over
Davin Raincloud
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book for people involved in the Neopagan Druid movement, and is one that I recommend for all people starting out on that path. The late, great Isaac goes into detail about the modern developments in the 20th century and various types of New Druids. It is good to know that their are many interpretations of Druidry and that people worship in different ways.
Andy
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not much to say about this. It was informative and Bonewits maintains a very open and accepting atmosphere. It's a great primer for anyone looking to get involved in druidism.
Andre Berzins
Not the best on bonewits, but still worth it
Charles
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: celtic-interest
A well written survey about how people are reinventing druidism today
Dean
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I always love Isaacks work,and this is well thought out,and a joy to read.
Regina
Sep 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book saved my life during last couple of weeks, while writing finals essay.
Andy Lawless
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: druidism
An excellent book for people involved in the Neo-pagan Druid movement, a must read for all people starting out on that path.

Séan Llew  Æris
Mar 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bonewits
Excellent. Exellence Exemplified. Exegesis for Xtreme Sporting events.
Michelle Joers
Mar 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Druidry Handbook: Spiritual Practice Rooted in the Living Earth
  • The Apple Branch: A Path to Celtic Ritual
  • Kindling the Celtic Spirit: Ancient Traditions to Illumine Your Life Through the Seasons
  • The Mysteries of Druidry: Celtic Mysticism, Theory & Practice
  • The Encyclopaedia of Celtic Wisdom: A Celtic Shaman's Sourcebook
  • Witchcraft for Tomorrow
  • The Celtic Way of Seeing: Meditations on the Irish Spirit Wheel
  • The Druids
Phillip Emmons Isaac Bonewits was an influential Neopagan leader and author. He was a liturgist, speaker, journalist, Neo-druid priest, and a singer, songwriter, and independent recording artist. He had been heavily involved in occultism since the 1960s.
More about Isaac Bonewits...

Nonfiction Deals