Start by marking “The Japanese Bath” as Want to Read:
The Japanese Bath

The Japanese Bath

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  82 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In the West, a bath is a place one goes to cleanse the body. In Japan, one goes there to cleanse the soul. Bathing in Japan is about much more than cleanliness: it is about family and community. It is about being alone and contemplative, time to watch the moon rise above the garden.

Along with sixty full-color illustrations of the light and airy baths themselves, The Japane
Hardcover, 1st edition, 96 pages
Published April 24th 2001 by Gibbs Smith Publisher (first published June 23rd 1905)

To ask other readers questions about The Japanese Bath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Japanese Bath

Christopherseelie
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Light-weight examination of the culture and practice of Japanese bathing.
Charles Lemos
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A handy primer for those wanting to emulate the traditions of the Japanese bath in their homes.
Christina
Jan 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: japan, house-and-home
Came across this randomly at a used bookstore. Published by a small press in California, the images and specific references mostly focus on California, a few Japanese locations, and a spa in New Mexico, so the scope is a bit limited. But it's still an interesting, light overview of Japanese bathing customs and how they differ from Western customs. There are tips on various aspects of creating a Japanese bath in an American home. It's not in depth, but I wasn't looking for depth and the pictures ...more
Mary
Got this from the Kura Door in the Avenues and can't wait to one day try a traditional Japanese bath there. The book is gorgeous and soothing...the peaceful photographs as well as the author's distinctly Japanese voice explaining all aspects of the Japanese bath to Westerners. I had no idea there were so many nuances and differences in how varying cultures bathe. It inspired me to be more mindful in my own daily care. I wish I had the money to put a Japanese bath in my home!
Rebecca Huston
Aug 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A book that I found very enjoyable to look at, but there are some severe flaws in some of the information that it gives. Still, for design inspiration and how to bring a Japanese feel to your bathroom, this is good for ideas. Three and a half stars rounded up to four.

For the complete review, please go here:
S.J. Pajonas
May 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book makes me want to rip out both my bathrooms and redesign them as Japanese baths. Also, I'm dying to go back to a rotenburo now. Thanks book.

Gorgeous photography and a good range of all different kinds of baths.
Tobias
Nov 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Nice pictures, good tips for installing one at home.
Kid
Jan 10, 2009 rated it liked it
would only be two stars but for the ideas it gave me for when (if ever) i get to build my dream house.
Nov 04, 2007 rated it it was ok
I love a good soak in the tub, but my tub is shallow and sad. This book made me long for a deeper, calmer, more lovely tub.
eclecticca