Start by marking “Scandal's Bride (Cynster, #3)” as Want to Read:
Scandal's Bride (Cynster, #3)

Scandal's Bride

(Cynster #3)

How can an honourable lady like Lady Catriona Hennessy unite with a rake like Richard Cynster? Though charmed by his commanding presence, she cannot give up her independence. Marriage had not previously been on Richard′s agenda, but perhaps taming the lady was just the challenge he needs - if he can have the rights of the marriage bed without making any revealing promises

Kindle Edition, Reprint Edition, 420 pages
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published October 1st 1998)

Katrina Passick Lumsden
******SPOILER ALERT******

DNF'd at 28%. I simply cannot finish this one. After reading the first two books in this series, you would think my patience would have been sufficiently stretched to accommodate Laurens' distinctively bitchy, grating heroines. It's true, I was expecting a heroine who was equal parts stupid, judgmental, arrogant, and bitchy.

What I was not expecting, however, was for said irritating heroine to also be a fucking rapist.

She roofies the hero and has sex with him because sh
Blacky *Romance Addict*
"That's ridiculous! You can't simply declare we'll wed—I have to agree. And I won't!"

"If I decide to have you…"—he kept his words deliberate, pausing to let the qualification sink in—"I'll have to change your mind."

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Another great installment from the Bar Cynster series!

The story

Richard Cynster comes to Scotland summond by a lawyer, he's to be present at the reading of the last will and testament of his biological mother's husband Photobucket Yes I know, quite complex, but that is why his nickname is Scan
Sammy Loves Books
Scandal Cynster has avoided marriage and "matchmaking women".

description

Thoroughly enjoyed this installment of the Cynster series. I didn't expect to love his character so much. What a pleasant surprise that Scandal turned out to be my kind of man. He's strong, intelligent and protective. Best of all, he's a slow patient lover that likes to go all night.

description

"I want you in the worst possible way.... In every way known to man. I want to see you flower for me. Spread your legs for me and hold out your arms for
Naoms
This used to be one of my favorite books. But, rereading it...

Catriona drugs Richard, sneaks into his room and has sex with him.

This is called rape. It's completely inappropriate and immoral. Why was I so ok with that when I was younger.

Does Stephanie Lauren's not believe men can be raped? If Richard drugged her and then slept with the world would be in uproar and call him a rapist.

Just disturbing.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Stacey is Sassy
****DNF 27% - No rating as I did not finish this story.****

Look, I went in knowing that there was going to be a contentious issue so I shouldn't be surprised that I didn't like it. I decided to take a risk and not judge by other peoples opinions. Honestly, the "issue" wasn't even the reason I stopped. By the time I got there, I was done and it had just given me a good enough reason to say enough is enough.

I ABSOLUTELY HATED THE HEROINE!!

Such a self-absorbed, arrogant and manipulative character
Quirky Omega
I liked it. But again as usual, my luck wasn't in my favour. Some crap happened and I lost my interest completely.

If I ignore that particular incident, this book was totally fantastic. Scottish vales and a beautiful, characteristically strong willed Cynster series heroine who looks much like Disney's Scottish heroine Merida.

But incidents like those are hard to ignore. (view spoiler)

Just total rubbis
Lauren
Scandal's Bride
3.5 Stars

Richard ‘Scandal’ Cynster is summoned to the home of his mother’s husband for the reading of his will. Not expecting much of a bequest, Richard is shocked at the deceased’s demand that he marry Miss Catriona Hennessy or the family will forfeit their inheritance. While marriage is not off the cards for Catriona, she always expected to wed a meek and biddable man who would allow her, her freedom. Unfortunately, Richard is anything but subservient. Can these two fiercely ind
Ivana Azap Feješ
Another great installment from the Bar Cynster series! Scandal's Bride is the third book in Stephanie Laurens' Cynster Series.

The way the marriage comes about between Scandal and Catriona means that they are thrown together and have to make it work - they don't have the chance before the marriage to get to know each other and fall in love. The Cynster men have a lot in common. They are all fairly dictatorial, insanely possessive, have a tendency to "resist" fate yet give in so very easily.

I love
Ivana
May 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historic-romance
Honestly, not the biggest fan of this book ... I was actually not sure if I should give it 2 or 3 star review, but it had some good parts, so I'm sticking with three (although it's actually two and a half).

I liked Richard's character, very much, but Catriona's not at all ... I just found her and a lot of her actions quite unlikeable and that made the whole story kind of unlikeable ...

Too bad, my expectations were much higher ...
Cruth
Author: Stephanie Laurens
First published: 1999
Length: 404 pages
Setting: Galloway Hills (lowlands), Scotland, 1819-1820 (Regency).
Sex: Frequent. Very explicit (erotic).
Hero: The Scandal That Never Was. Illegitimate son who was completely and totally accepted by his father's family. Rake and rogue looking for direction.

Heroine: A disciple of The Lady - she's a white or nature witch, as one with the land she cultivates with some light pagan devotions.
Trigger: Hero raped. It's not that he was unwill
Gina
Mar 16, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler review - but you need to know this.

I can put up with a lot in romance. Authors can make me believe so many things, put up with situations I wouldn't in real life, and enjoy stories that I find unbelievable and ridiculous. But I can't and won't tolerate rape in any form in any book I read that is supposed to be a romance. I would give this negative stars if I could. The heroine drugs the hero for the purpose of having sex with him without his knowledge so she can get pregnant and he neve
Gogol
Feb 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Do you know that the hero in this book is the result of an illicit affair between the duke and another woman, only four years after his marriage? Apart from the fact that this writer, writes appallingly annoying books, in which you can’t choose whether the heroes are bigger idiots or the heroines, I hated, hated this bit.
Ilze
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting read, but there are too many problems with it to give it a higher rating. The main problem is the characters: they just aren't human beings. The good guys (Catriona, all the Cynsters) are all flawless super-humans, the bad guys are all caricatures. For me, a romance just doesn't work unless the characters, including the secondary characters, but especially the main ones, are actual humans, with flaws, self-doubt, and are capable of making mistakes, even huge ones. The del ...more
Diana
Re-read 2017

While I love Catriona and her spunkiness, this is probably my least favorite book in the Cynster series. I usually skip this one when I do re-reads. I decided to read it this time around since it had been so many years since I had read it. I have no clue if I'll ever read it again.
Bianca
this book bored me to tears! Got a headache trying to force myself to read it.... Hated the heroine, she was so arrogant and full of herself. Also I am just not into all the witchy stuff.. I find it silly.
Karen
Jun 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-reads
Scandal's Bride is the third book in Stephanie Laurens' Cynster Series. I started this book several months ago and just couldn't get into it. A couple of things bothered me...first, after reading books one and two in the series, you learn that Richard Cynster is the illegitimate son of the Duke of Ives. This isn't a big deal normally and clearly not Richard's fault, however, the knowledge that he is the Duke's second son and that the Duke and Duchess of Ives are featured in book 7.5 really turne ...more
Romantična Geekica
I couldn't make myself like this book, it was so wrong on so many levels...if a man treated a woman the way this heroine treated this man it would be called rape, abuse, disrespect and so much more things...I like strong women but I expect respect and equality between partners, always and especially in romance novels. It does get better near the end but I gave up, it was frustrating, boring and not at all what I expected since I read the first two novels in the series...
Whitney

Whelp, this one was odd. But I loved Catriona and her strength. Scandal was the typical Cynster so I liked him. The story itself was different. A lot of "The Lady" mentions which was ok but overly used. My real issue with the story was the lack of communication between the two to drive a wedge of misunderstanding between them. It was a crutch to add angst to the drama. That kind of stuff drives me a little crazy.
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
OMG...This book was such a waste of time....OH WHY..did I even bother picking it up ?!?

description"/
Shirley Wine
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun sexy read

Lauren's can be relied on to deliver an entertaining story. Catriona and Richard Cynster make an interesting couple, one a witch the other a bastard son travel a hard road to find their true feelings. A delightful story in the Cynster series.
♥Ana♥
This was an interesting read, but there are too many problems with it to give it a higher rating. My real issue with the story was the lack of communication between the two and if I ignore that particular incident, this book was good. This is probably my least favorite book in the Cynster series so far.
Kit★
This was about a 3.5 Stars read. Because while by the last third of the book, I came to care about the characters and what was going to happen, I have to admit, the first half or so, I was not real fond of Catriona. But I was really glad she didn't have a wretched name like Honoria Prudence, or Patience, the heroines from books 1 and 2. Catriona was a name I rather liked. So that was a plus for me. But at first I didn't like her personality. She was bossy and rude and seemed to be selfish, even ...more
Jane Stewart
Thenia
A story that was mostly ruined for me because of the main heroine. I stopped listening a number of times because I couldn't stand her - insanely proud, making assumptions and jumping to wrong conclusions, judgmental and manipulative, and those are only a few of my problems with her. (view spoiler) ...more
C Joy
After being frustrated with Vane's story, I found Richard/Scandal's story quite refreshing. I thoroughly enjoyed it although other readers weren't able to appreciate the semi-paranormal theme here, but I did, and I was all for it. Given Catriona's domineering attitude, always used to running her own show, Richard is right up her alley. Stephanie Laurens's writing is excellent, she vividly described the characters feelings, the setting, and how compromise can boost a relationship. Love scenes are ...more
Chitra *CJ*
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: v-card, safety-first
This was different and fun.
Interspersed with supernatural elements, the love story of Richard and Catriona emerges.
Catriona is a disciple of the "Lady", who is given a premonition that Richard shall father her kids. She decides to take the matters in her own hands to make it possible.
There was so much going on in this book. Once I got used to the PNR, i really wanted to shove the couple in each other's direction to stop hiding and COMMUNICATE.
(view spoiler)
Melodramaticfool
Muuuuch better!! I was nervous and excited for this one since I found Vane's story to be somewhat lacking,especially after Devil's steamy romance and small murder mystery combined. But Richard's story was great! It was funny, sweet, and passionate. I liked the imagery of the wild, witchy, and earthly Catriona and the dark, handsome, "Scandal." Oh!

This book didn't really have a mystery, but the story was really nice and I enjoyed imagining the layout of the Vale. It also amused me to see that th
Jade
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite, f-m, erotica, fantasy
Richard is now one of my top ten heroes. He was a phenomenal character take and what a strong man should be like. I was actually jealous at times! The story was rich-it was thought out and made sense. I did think some of the plot before that last third of the book dragged-but it definitely picked right back up and ended beautifully. I'm just happy that Lauren's wrote such a strong hero that didn't mind playing second fiddle (if you'll excuse the cliche) to his heroine. Wonderful novel-I don't ow ...more
Elaine
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took forever to finish this book. Definitely not her best work or maybe I just thought I liked Stephanie Laurens!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Romance Lovers fo...: Scandal's Bride (Start: August 22nd) 126 68 Feb 10, 2016 11:19AM

• A Lady Never Surrenders (Hellions of Halstead Hall #5)
  • Scottish Brides
  • Love With the Proper Husband (Effingtons, #6)
  • Slightly Scandalous (Bedwyn Saga, #3)
  • One Night of Sin (Knight Miscellany, #6)
  • Till Dawn with the Devil (Lords of Vice, #2)
  • Two Little Lies (MacLachlan Family, #3)
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie

Cynster (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1)
  • A Rake's Vow (Cynster, #2)
  • A Rogue's Proposal (Cynster,  #4)
  • A Secret Love (Cynster, #5)
  • All About Love (Cynster, #6)
  • All About Passion (Cynster, #7)
  • On a Wild Night (Cynster, #8)
  • On a Wicked Dawn (Cynster, #9)
  • On A Wild Night / On A Wicked Dawn
  • The Perfect Lover (Cynster, #10)
“..the family motto, after all, is 'To Have and To Hold'. We were always a warrior breed, but we don't fight solely for lands and material wealth. There's an understanding, drummed into all of us from our earliest years, that success-true success-means capturing and holding , something more. That something more is the future-to excel is very well, but one needs to excel and survive. To seize lands is well and good, but we want to hold them for all time. Which means creating and building a family-defending the family that is, and creating the next generation. Because it's the next generation that's our future. Without securing that future, material success is no real success at all.” 7 likes