Start by marking “Mastered By Love (Bastion Club, #8)” as Want to Read:
Mastered By Love (Bastion Club, #8)

Mastered By Love

(Bastion Club #8)

The men of the Bastion Club proved their bravery secretly fighting for their country. Now their leader faces that most dangerous mission of all: finding a bride.

As the mysterious leader of the Bastion Club known as "Dalziel," Royce Varisey, tenth Duke of Wolverstone, served his country for decades, facing dangers untold. But as the holder of one of England's most august no

Published (first published July 28th 2009)

Penny Watson
Aug 05, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Review for Mastered by Love by Stephanie Laurens

(ETA: I read this and reviewed it on my blog in August 2009. For some reason, I did not post this review at Goodreads. This review is way harsh, since I was horribly disappointed. But I would like to add that I still adore SL as an author, although this is definitely not her best work).....

Nooooooooooo! Why, Stephanie, why?????

OK, to say that I am massively disappointed by this book would be an understatement. I have enjoyed the Bastion Club series
Sammy Loves Books
Finally.. We find out who Dalziel really is!
***4.0 "Totally not what I expected" stars

description

"Know this, I will give you anything. Anything and everything I have to give. There is nothing you can ask for that I will not grant you. What ever I have, what ever I am, is yours."

Royce, Aka Dalziel, has been the leader over the members of the Bastian Club. But none of its members knew his true identity...until now. Dalziel's father has passed and it's time for him to return home and take up the reigns.

Far l
jenjn79
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series
There were some parts of this book that I really enjoyed, but on the whole, I found it to be a rather disappointing conclusion to a pretty good series. It ended up being nothing like I thought it would be and nowhere near as engaging as the past book in the series.

Series note: I hesitate to say that this book could possible be read on it's own. The story does deal with past events of the series and utilizes past characters, but the plot and romance itself are pretty self-sufficient. So I think a
Julie (jjmachshev)
Jul 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-reads
From Stephanie Laurens first 'Bastion Club' novel, I've been fascinated by Dalziel. Finally, in "Mastered By Love", I get his story and it's a doozy. Why and how he became a 'shadow' in society and head of the British spies makes for a wonderful read and the woman he falls for is not at all what he expected. And for Cynster fans, Devil makes a few appearances!

Minerva has been the chatelaine of Wolverstone Castle for many years now. Informally adopted by the Duke's family after the death of her p
Chitra *CJ*
"Mastered by Love" is the story of Dalziel aka Royce and Minerva.
When at last the leader of Bastion club, Royce Dalziel Varisey, 10th Duke of Wolverstone, returns home after years of fighting for his country- he does not expect that he'd be faced with Dukedom due to his father's passing, or that he would find himself violently attracted to his determindedly aloof chatelaine, Minerva Chesterton.
Initially thinking that the attraction is one sided, he watches her from afar while learning to take co
Katie(babs)
Jan 18, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The former leader of the Bastion Club, Dalziel, has returned to his childhood home after the death of his father. Dalziel is the new Duke of Wolverstone and has been estranged from his family for sixteen long years. When he discovers Minerva Chesterton residing at Wolverstone castle as its chatelaine, he is pleasantly surprised. He barely remembers Minerva as the young girl who used to follow him around. Now she is an attractive and intelligent woman and one Royce would like to get to know bette ...more
Jenny E
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was the second book I tried to get through by this really popular author... I haven't been able to finish either completely. I read 13 chapters of this one and then skimmed the rest. It's so weird. I just cannot understand her popularity. Her writing style is super annoying to me - with lots of phrases - within phrases - that don't really add to the sentence - within the same loooong sentence, and I have to reread because I get lost within a phrase within a phrase...and don't get me started ...more
DemetraP
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been working my way through the Bastion Club series by Stephanie Laurens. The basic plot is the hero of each book finds the woman he's head over heels in love with and wants to marry, then convinces the woman she should marry him.

With these books you get a historical romance with crazy in love heroes who don't even look at another woman.

I just finished the last book, book #8, Mastered by Love, and it was the best by far of the series. Each of the Bastion Club members worked as a spy during
Kiki Z
Jul 05, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I'm giving up at a third of the way through. I don't like Royce. I don't like the way he thinks and I don't like how he goes about things, and I don't like reading about men in their thirties (close to forty for Royce) not being able to control their lust. It's ridiculous, and it makes me hate them, so I can't care about the inevitable romance. I like Minerva. I don't want him for her.
Monique Takens
Quote page 368 Piatkus publication - No ! No , no , no , no - how could this have happened ?

There were no proofreaders , friends , family or an editor who told S. Laurens that this would just not do as the last and very anticipated book of the Bastion club series ?? Unbelievable !!
Maura
Travelover
Aug 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored MASTERED BY LOVE. A 10+. This is a man who sacrificed a major portion of his life for love of country. That is remarkable for anyone to do! He deserved to be happy at the end. I think the cover is romantic & sensual, & the epitomy of what Dalziel/Royce would look like - Stephanie Laurens repeatedly told us he looked younger than his age - that he had dark eyes, dark wavy hair and a fierce temper he controlled in public. He wanted to be more than what historically had been for me ...more
Maria
The first half of the book was well-written and intriguing. Then we get to the sex scenes, which I skip. I skipped so many pages in the next third of the book that I felt there was little in them. The last part of the book again became intriguing. I guess my main problem with it was the application of 20th-21st century morals to early 19th century settings. Ms Laurens is not the only author to succumb to this mistake. Many authors do it. However, I would like to point out that it wasn't until th ...more
Kaetrin
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up the Australian release (which I thought had a nicer cover but I couldn't find a picture during my browsing so this is the one you get) at Target when I was away and was pleasantly suprised by this one. The last few offerings from Laurens have been a bit ho-hum for me. Too much saying the same thing. In different ways. In short sentences. Over and over. Again. Repetitively. Maybe I'd had just enough of a break between her stories to enjoy this one. No, on second thought, this was just ...more
LaFleurBleue
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-histo, e-book
Luckily I knew from another review not to expect much regarding the last traitor's subplot. Even with the warning, I was surprised at how this subplot was handled. It did not feel right at all - the bright and evil genius turned suddenly into a crazed maniac. That was way too easy as a way out and not worthy of either opponents.
However the almost entirety of the book dealt with the romance between Royce and Minerva, Royce's coming to grips with his inheritance, with the truth of his failed relat
Cyndee
I was actually excited to read this book as it wraped up the Bastion club and Denzil was one of the most secretive person’s in the series. I kept thinking that this one would be good. Well it was good but not in the reason that the author planned. During the seductive scenes I actually started laughing. I have never had that happen. It was the funniest book I have ever read. Maybe near the end I got used to the over the top – you have got to be kidding me reaction but it got better… Well no it w ...more
Barbara
Misses 5 stars because the Royce/Dalziel in the first half of the book has nothing in common with the character by whom we have been utterly intrigued and whom we had grown to love through the other books. The last half was good to excellent.
2018--being past caring much about the eroticism, I am better able to enjoy other aspects. I LOVED the scene with Royce and the crofters' children. Admittedly, the last half definitely merits 4 stars so I'm giving, kind of under protest.
2019--And the 5 stars
Katariina
This was the 8 and final book in the Bastion Club series. I was eagarly waiting to find out who Dalziel/Royce really was. I was also eager to see all the threads coming together and who the taraitor was. I wasn't dissoppointed. The suspence plot wasn't as heavy as usual which was fine. I liked both Royce and Minerva and they were good match. Royce was an arrogant brooding, commanding duke (in bed and outside of it), which I liked. The sex sceens were hot and well made, almost explict. This is my ...more
Judy Dhuse
Apr 26, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was very disappointed in this book. Here was a character we have been reading about throughout the whole series. He was cloaked in mystery and danger.This could have been a really good story. I feel like SL just got tired of the series and just recycled another one of the books in the series just to get it over with. After spending so much time reading these books and waiting for the identity of Dalziel to be revealed, this was a huge letdown.
Barbra
Sep 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
The story of Dalziel the head of the spy group ends the Bastion Club Series, and what a story. I really enjoyed finding out who Dalziel was and all the threads coming together. A great ending to a wonderful series. But read on.......

It looks like some of the members of the Bastion Club will continue in a new series called the "Black Cobra Quartet", the first volume is The Untamed Bride.
Anne
Sep 12, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I used to love SL's books. I couldn't finish this one. It started off slow and dull, and pretty much continued like that. After the first 100 pages I skipped and read the ending. It was still pretty dull.
Catherine
Jul 12, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book, I feel, is in need of more editing, by 100 pages or so. As the end of a decent series, I couldn't wait for this one to be over.

The element of adventure is incidental, at best and at worst, I've read this plot before. Please read Celeste Bradley's The Royal Four series.
Janet
Aug 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have rather given Mastered By Love 2 and 1/2 stars -- I liked both the h/h -- liked all the walk-ons from previous books but there was just too much between the sheets and it did nothing, after a while, to advance the plot. But she's still a must read for me, even if it's from the library.
France
Jan 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romances
this book was terrible, i had to skip the pages, the worst: the H was a ninny, :( so sad i loved him in the other book of bastion club.
Lindsey
Picked up the book used in small grocery store in Augusta, Montana for something to read at night while backpacking in Bob Marshall Wilderness. Sometimes you need a little romance on the trail.
Leila Anani
Amanda Hopeless.Book.Romantic
“That’s how love is. Simple, straightforward, and easy. It just happens. Where it gets complicated is when you try to think too much, to rationalize it, make sense of it, pick it apart—it’s not like that.”
Master by Love is book eight in the Bastion Club series by Stephanie Laurens. Sometimes referred to as book seven in the series because the first book is a prequel. In the previous books in the series we see our lead characters trying and failing to unmask a spy in their midst. Our worthy hero
Lori McD
Giving the last book in the series 4 stars - mostly because we learn more about Dalziel: who he is, what his real title and life are about, how he separated from his family to serve his country, AND who the mysterious "last" traitor is.

This is about Minerva and Royce (Dalziel's real name). He's the 10th Duke of Wolverton, but he put all that behind him 16 years ago when he decided to accept a highly secret position for their majesties at Whitehall. His father didn't approve; to his father (and m
Stacey
The plot device for this is what made me give it 2 stars. Royce has to marry or the Regent might just have him killed so he can take over Royce's title, estate & fortune. The grand dames decide he has like 2 weeks to pick a woman or they will pick one for him and I guess force him to the altar at sword point? Or maybe just sit around in his entryway some more until they bully him into doing what they want? So he takes his mother's companion.
Just about the dumbest plot ever.
Apart from that bi
Amanda
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read, but lacked a bit in story. A bit predictable. Was really disappointed that once again, the heroine was a virgin that miraculously can not only tolerate, but enjoy a humongous shlong all night long the first time she has sex. Totally unbelievable. And then the villain is introduced more than half way through the story. Just kinda pops in. I still enjoyed the story, but I definitely skimmed some stuff due to its unbelievability.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Wrong Author 1 39 Jun 04, 2010 03:40PM

• My Scandalous Bride
  • Not Quite A Gentleman (Regency #3)
  • What A Lady Wants (Last Man Standing, #2)
  • The Charmer (Liar's Club #4)
  • Wicked All Day (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron #5)
  • A Notorious Love (Swanlea Spinsters, #2)
  • Dark Angel / Lord Carew's Bride (Stapleton-Downes, #3-4)
  • Rough Around the Edges
  • Dancing at Midnight (The Splendid Trilogy, #2)
  • The Naked Viscount (Naked Nobility, #5)
  • A Courtesan's Scandal (The Scandalous Series, #3)
  • Sins of a Duke (Griffin Family, #4)
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie

Bastion Club (8 books)
  • The Lady Chosen (Bastion Club, #1)
  • A Gentleman's Honor (Bastion Club, #2)
  • A Lady of His Own (Bastion Club, #3)
  • A Fine Passion (Bastion Club, #4)
  • To Distraction (Bastion Club, #5)
  • Beyond Seduction (Bastion Club, #6)
  • The Edge of Desire (Bastion Club, #7)
“his shirt and hauled the fine linen up, and off.” 0 likes
“You don’t have to say anything. You just have to accept. Just have to stop resisting…” He breathed the last words as his lips lowered to hers. “And let what we both want, simply be.” 0 likes