Start by marking “Tom Strong, Book 2” as Want to Read:
Tom Strong, Book 2

Tom Strong, Book 2

(Tom Strong #2)

In this collection, readers are introduced to the foremost science hero Tom Strong and his remarkable exploits over a nearly century-long career. With a supporting cast of characters that include his wife Dhalua (the daughter of a mighty chieftain) his daughter Tesla, the enhanced ape King Solomon and his robotic valet, Peneuman, Tom finds himself battling in different tim ...more
Published October 1st 2003 by America's Best Comics, LLC / Wildstorm (first published August 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Tom Strong, Book 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tom Strong, Book 2

Patrick
Everything that I said about the first book in the series holds true with this book.

I mention this because we've all ready series that start strong *ahem* and then have a pretty severe dip in quality when the second book in the series comes out.

Rest assured, this isn't one of those series.

Nicolo Yu
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an exceptional collected comics and not just in the writing and the art, but in production values too. This was the kind of hardcover collection one did not see anymore.

Tom Strong was a title I remember buying when it first came out. That was just before the turn of the century and it has a pretty cool Alex Ross cover. Most comics at that time period were to classify them crudely, stories that tried to look into the future. In Tom Strong, Alan Moore was mining the genre's pre-comic past
Jedhua
Story Synopsis: (view spoiler) ...more
Timothy Boyd
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Excellent comic blending superhero and pulp style story lines. Very nice are and characters. Very recommended
Kyle
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sequential-art
Whereas the first volume seemed to have been conceived and executed with a fair amount of confidence in its vision and tempo, this one suffers from conspicuous unevenness. Experimentations and genre send-ups often read as half baked dalliances or comic Laffy Taffy wrappers even when formally successful, and the lack of commitment in these short peices is even more jarring when contrasted with a relatively lengthy story arc as unforgivably boring as the Tom Strange Terra Obscura line included her ...more
Deviki
Ahhhhhh now we have some head and tails to a story LOL

The first issue was smackdab weird. This one was much better ....although i seriously wish they just stated "12 years ago" rather then just putting the year alone.......why are you making me do maths ?

Ah, so this comic had "superhero over-the-top-plot" which suits the comic just fine!

Love the relationship between the trio, I even like Solomon and Tin man LOL

On with the next one!!
Johnathon
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another fun series of stories that finds Tom Strong & his family take on everything from an alien Western town to a parallel Earth inhabited by superheroes. Alan Moore brings lots of fun & action tot he series, paying homage to the classic comic book stories of the 1940's & 50's, which stories varying from dramatic to cartoony (literally, at one point Strong is in an alternate cartoon universe where he's a superhero rabbit). The Strong family dynamic continues to be great as well, ra ...more
Craig Williams
May 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
I got to say, with Alan Moore, when he is great, he's great. When he's awful, he is FUCKING awful like nobody's business. I read the first trade of Tom Strong a couple years ago, and I vaguely remember somewhat enjoying it. It struck me as the sort of pulp science fiction fantasy that The Venture Bros has thoroughly skewered, making it rather difficult for me to take it at all serious. I think Moore intended for this series to also poke fun at the conventions of pulp sci-fi, but frankly, Moore i ...more
Dan
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Tom Strong Book 2 continues the excellence of Book 1 with smart, pulp-influenced science-hero stories. There's a wide mix of tales, many short and a couple longer, and Moore deftly switches between humorous and affecting. The rotating cast of artists, anchored by Chris Sprouse, complement the stories nicely.
Aurora
Jul 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
I'm really enjoying this. It's unpredictable and clever, and the world feels real without being too concrete. The Earth Z (whatever) plotline loses some points for being a little dense, but the alternate universe portal way makes up for it. Bunny Tom Strong!
J.
Oct 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the first volume of this series, and this book does have some shining moments, but the barrage of 8-page stories just isn't the interesting to me. Not enough time to build suspense or anything.
B
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I remember still thinking this was good, but maybe I was wrong.

Second read: This all seems like side stories. Mostly cute. But it seems like the Tom Strong story has already been told.

Also surprised it took me so long to pick up on the Captain Marvel homage.
Nenad Vukusic
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Sequel to the other Tom Strong book, this one is a lot less impressive. All the elements are still there, some of the opponents are hilarious and some of the references are interesting, but all in all, first one was a lot better.
One Flew
Jan 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Very light hearted, enjoyable superhero nonsense. Obviously not even close to what Alan Moore is capable of, even compared with the first volume of Tom Strong this one comes across a little weak. In particular the shorter storylines are rather flat.
Fugo Feedback
Sep 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cualquier Moorista y fans del pulp en general.
Recommended to Fugo by: Sus autores.
Divertida continuación que no alcanza las cinco como el #1 sólo porque algunas historias son un poco flojas.
Mike
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
The first half of the stories in the book were just OK. The last few, including Funnyland, I enjoyed much more. I was still interested enough to stick with book 3.
Dennis Liggio
May 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Doc Savage/Jonas Venture as seen through the mind of Alan Moore. A very retro-feeling book like the Golden Age Science Heroes. This volume in particular focuses on time travel and parallel universes.
Bro (Dave Kurimsky)
Jun 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Interesting series. Notable for it's non-violence and comic book in-jokes. Not great character development but an overall interesting ride.
David Brooke
Apr 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
This one continues the greatness of Volume one, and did i forget to say the art is great? Things start coming together in a more progressive longer story with relationships building here.
Juan Jose
Jun 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Nice reading.
Amanda
May 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Not quite as good as the first, but still a strong (heh heh) collection of comics. Really into the series, now.
matt
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Things get a little more goofy in this volume - but the story is still a lot of fun if one approaches it with the right attitude.
Trey
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At some point, the stories need to become more than just send-ups of different comics styles.
Hugo
Dec 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Tom Strong Vs. The Modular Man!
Pedro
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Muy entretenida la lectura. Moore sigue sorprendiendo con la muy cuidada selección de historias y estilos narrativos, e inclusive ilustraciones variadas. Muy bueno.
Linda

• Starman, Vol. 3: A Wicked Inclination
  • Mage, Book Two: The Hero Defined
  • Hitman, Vol. 5: Who Dares Wins
  • Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vol. 2
Alan Moore is an English writer most famous for his influential work in comics, including the acclaimed graphic novels Watchmen, V for Vendetta and From Hell. He has also written a novel, Voice of the Fire, and performs "workings" (one-off performance art/spoken word pieces) with The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels, some of which have been released on CD.

As a comics writer, Moor

• Tom Strong, Book 5
  • Tom Strong, Book 6
  • Tom Strong and the Robots of Doom
  • Tom Strong and the Planet of Peril
“Some things are hard to imagine. Can you conceive of excessive contentment, for example? Or an over pleasant evening? Too much happiness?” 7 likes