Start by marking “The Joy of Sex” as Want to Read:
The Joy of Sex

The Joy of Sex

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  2,076 Ratings  ·  128 Reviews
An international bestseller since it was first published in 1972, this updated edition brings this imaginative, uninhibited guide to lovemaking and sex to a whole new generation. It has been revised in such a way to retain Dr Comfort's original, revelatory advice while making it appropriate for the 21st century.
Unknown Binding, 30th Anniversary Edition, 224 pages
Published February 21st 2004 by Not Avail (first published 1972)

Malbadeen
Jun 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Joy - seriously, her name is Joy.
I read this too young and I particularly remember a part that talked about not wearing spiked boots during sex, because while it may be a visual turn on it can cause some unintended physical pain in the long run. I felt it was a good point and made a note to my prepubescent self to not have sex while wearing spiky boots.
Beth F.
Dec 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers who find the copy their parents were hiding
--When I was 15 and found this book hidden in the basement, I read it and it gave me quite a thrill.
--The 70's version is awesome and disgusting and awesome, awesome, awesome!
--The hairy man beast who was prominently featured in the original version of this book may be entirely to blame for my disgust of facial hair (thank goodness my husband shaves daily!)
--I’ve never seen the new version with the modern couple and don't care to. It would totally ruin the magic.

Henry Manampiring
Sep 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: sex illiterates
I received this book THREE times as gifts. Do I look like complete sex-idiot?
David
Here is a joke based on this book.

(You have some visible injury - cast, eye patch, bandage, etc.)
Person A: "What happened?"
You: "You know the book the Joy of Sex? There is a typo on page 137."
membacaaa
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bagus!
ini kayak buku sex for dummies. kalau sex for dummies justru lebih banyak menjelaskan seputar organ reproduksi laki-laki dan pria (tentang fakta, penyakit, cara penangulangan, mencegah) dan sejenis itu (tapi dibahas dengan bahasa yang tidak menjijikkan dan sangat edukatif), kalau buku ini benar-benar membahas seputar sex,,TAPII, menggunakan bahasa yang sedikit puitis tapi tidak menjijikkan juga.

Penulis menggambarkan bagian tubuh atau adegan sex seolah sebagai kegiatan yang wajar dan ya bia
Cathy
Aug 09, 2008 rated it it was ok
I find this rather G-rated in a hardcore world. I would probably feel comfortable giving this to my age 18 children if I had any. If you are really looking to reignite the spark, I don't know that this will do it, but you will know if you crack it open and find yourself saying 'been there, done that'. I do not consider myself kinky or used hard and put away wet, I probably fall more into the PRUDE catagory.
Nilchance
Apr 18, 2011 rated it did not like it
Heterosexist, all Caucasian illustrations, and a bonus dose of fat-phobia. Good times.
Henry Le Nav
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finally got around to reading this book, which has been a strange oversight on my part due to my interest and love for the subject. I really enjoyed this book and I must caution that my rating is based more on my enjoyment of it rather than the value of the content. I think some modern readers may find the book a bit too fuddy duddy, too heteronormative, too monogamous, too vanilla, too romantic, too quaint and sentimental, and perhaps even a bit too love oriented, all things that I love becau ...more
Ellee
Jan 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Ok, ok, I know... Everybody's heard about it. I figured I'd read it to see if this book by Alex Comfort was in reality what I expected it to be. If all you expect upon opening this book is a racy book full of exotic photos, you'll be surprised. The Joy of Sex is actually very down-to-earth and not really at all titillating (pardon the pun). It's almost like a Chilton's guide to heterosexual sex. That being said, this book is most likely to be of help to relatively inexperienced couples, but even ...more
Alex
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
This is the second book about sex that I have read; the first being "She Comes First". Overall it wasn't a bad book and it was a quick read, but the format was sort of confusing and odd to me. There were four sections: Ingredients, Appetizers, Main Courses, and Sauce & Pickles, and each section had multiple excerpts about different topics. Basically, there'd be a paragraph or two on an idea or topic and then it would move on to another one. It didn't flow very well and didn't seem very compr ...more
Kaethe
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read sometime in high school? Mostly at other people's houses while babysitting? That's the best I remember.
Aqsa
Dec 29, 2012 marked it as to-read

It's just -- NOAH SHAW Y'ALL.
Yoli Aderele-Thomason
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
I know that this book was groundbreaking for its time, but I found it to be a bit one sided. It's not terrible however it is seriously outdated down to the illustrations of how modern people view sex, how we assimilate information about sex, how we talk about it, how we view what we do and the feelings and emotions or lack thereof attached to it all. The book to me felt very clinical, with no personal flare into the author's approach and attempt to inform.
Ruskanen
I think I bought this book somewhere between high school and college, and probably out of curiosity. It's been sitting on my night stand ever since and I haven't looked at it in years. It was likely more intended for adults, but I think would be a great reference for anyone (mature enough) starting their sexual explorations.
Robert
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oldie but goodie. Read it many times back in the day. In fact, I believe I memorized that whole book and could recite it line by line from memory just like the Muslims do with the Koran. There's a whole other religion out there you know. It's us perverts who worship the God of Sex.
Martin Rinehart
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sex
Absolute classic, now beautifully illustrated and brought up to almost recent (2008) by Susan Quilliam (who should get credit as a coauthor).

If you are writing about sex, as I am, this is mandatory. If you are engaging in sex, this is worth every penny.
Gurmukh Sandhu
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Intriguing
C.A. Clark
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
a useful book to read when beginning to consider this activity
David
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I debated on whether or not to record this as something I have read, but I have decided to go for it.

I should start by saying, that what drew me to this book wasn't it's content, but more of the cultural and historical significance of the text. While not something that people talk much about, "The Joy of Sex" is a book that, while I might not say changed the world, it certainly had its impact.

It was a national best seller for many weeks. Couples, perhaps intrigued by the taboo nature of the text
Glenn Banks
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting read. I like the subject matter. Thought about getting a few copies to give out as wedding gifts (kind of a gag gift), but don't worry i wont be doing that.
1malissa
Now days many people in America read urban books involving sex, drugs, and violence. However they also read other books out there, but surprisingly several of them are banned because of it’s religious beliefs, violence, and sexual content. Personally I believe every book that’s out there should be available to the public.
One reason I think books should be available is because of its religious beliefs. At times people tend to question god, some are not quite sure who he/she is, and others may n
Usagi Tsukino
May 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want better communication with their partner on a sexual loving basis.
Need to reignite fiery sparks of passion in your life? Master a few old tricks whilst learning new? Wanting to re-establish communication on all levels with your partner? – Then this book is for you!

Need in-depth knowledge on sexual experiences and an easy how-to-guide for that which you haven’t learnt yet? Just want to understand Woohoo a little better than you did before? Or are looking for advice/ideas/comfort and reassurance if you haven’t had any experience yet? – Then this book is certainl
Anna
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I can see how this book might have caused a stir back in 1972, to my modern eyes it seems hopelessly dated and rather dull. Most of the information in the book is of a very basic, nuts-and-bolts kind that most modern readers will already be aware of. It is written in a quite matter-of-fact and unsexy (and at times inappropriately humorous) style which I did not much care for.

The frequent use of terms like "squares" and "straights" and other 60s/70s slang date the book considerably, as do
Maddy
Jun 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steamy-romance
Don't get me wrong, this classic book is very good in SOME departments. If I ever had kids, or had read this when I was much younger, I felt it would be a very insightful book. This book does a very good job of explaining respect for sex partners. What it doesn't do is explain anything outside of heterosexual lovemaking.

This edition is meant to be an updated one from the 70s, so I was expecting more from this classic. It really doesn't touch on toys in the bedroom, BDSM, homosexuals, or transge
Crystal
Dec 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I did not read this basic how-to until college around 2006 I believe. I majored in Ad/PR and my advertising campaigns professor assigned us this book to read and present in a book marketing campaign. It definitely held my attention--lol--compared to other material that was assigned. I've always been fascinated with sexuality ever since about 5 years old like many others, so I was glad to be interested in this assignment:)

To me, it's a nice basic overview of sex and sexuality. Nothing groundbrea
KennyO
Jul 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite good, as far as it goes, that being heterosexual couples. You'll never please everyone, so those whose proclivities aren't covered here will, of course, be displeased about their omission. The omission is defensible in that a comprehensive volume couldn't be hefted, rendering it less than useful or enjoyable and offending those who are already at the edge of their sensitivities. Refer, please, to the opening clause of my second sentence.

Alex Comfort published a book that neatly and with d
FiveBooks
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Writer Kate Figes has chosen to discuss Alex Comfort's The Joy of Sex on FiveBooks as one of the top five on her subject - Sex and Marriage, saying that:

"It seems so innocent really now, all those daring explanations of S and M and positions, but it was before Aids and people were so optimistic. It was as though we’d discovered sex and free love."

The full interview is available here: http://five-books.com/interviews/kate-figes
Evan Dower
It was a new edition, with revised content to update it, but as a friend mentioned, it wasn't really written for my generation or gender. Also, the writing is confusing. There was a sort of half-assed attempt at a dictionary format, so some sections start with just a noun phrase and some start with a full sentence. The inconsistency is confusing. Then, there are sentence that start with "For her, ..." but it isn't clear if they're talking about advice "for her" when she's doing something for him ...more
Emily
May 22, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was comprehensive if you are a heterosexual interested in knowing more about heterosexual sex. The lack of mentions of LGBT individuals and the assertion that all humans are bisexual when each individual has autonomy over their identification seems problematic. Much of the information and opinions provided could be found through other online sources, such as Columbia University's 'Go Ask Alice.' The illustrations and intimate and honest tone are extremely beneficial, though.

This book i
Victoria Williams-Fisher
I have always wanted to read this book! And finally did. I found it a timeless classic and I learned a few things. I was actually doing a little "research" for my latest novel, THE WARRENS. When you are writing about the sex life of a younger couple, you want to make sure you are not missing out on anything! I was happy to find that I am quite knowledgeable and not much has changed! This is an updated version and the photographs are absolutely stunning.I enjoyed it, it was a quick read because o ...more
  • Sexual Behavior in the Human Male
  • The Good Vibrations Guide to Sex: The Most Complete Sex Manual Ever Written
  • What Your Mother Never Told You About Sex
  • Guide to Getting It On!
  • A Child of the Century
  • A Hand in the Bush: The Fine Art of Vaginal Fisting
  • Grover Cleveland (The American Presidents, #22, #24)
  • Unsafe at Any Speed
  • Tickle Your Fancy: A Womans Guide to Sexual Self-Pleasure
  • Sex For Dummies
  • The Clitoral Truth: The Secret World at Your Fingertips
  • Sensuous Magic: A Guide for Adventurous Lovers
Alexander Comfort, M.D., Ph.D. (10 February 1920 – 26 March 2000) was a medical professional, gerontologist, anarchist, pacifist, conscientious objector and writer, best known for The Joy of Sex, which played a part in what is often called the sexual revolution. He was also the author of many other books on a variety of topics.
More about Alex Comfort...
“The things that stop you having sex with age are exactly the same as those that stop you riding a bicycle.” 3 likes