Start by marking “Taking Charge of Adult ADHD” as Want to Read:
Taking Charge of Adult ADHD

Taking Charge of Adult ADHD

For adults with ADHD, problems with attention, planning, problem solving, and controlling emotions can make daily life an uphill battle. Fortunately, effective help is out there. No one is a better guide to how to get the best care—and what sufferers can do for themselves—than renowned ADHD researcher/clinician Russell A. Barkley. Dr. Barkley provides step-by-step strategi ...more
Published July 22nd 2010 by The Guilford Press

Start your review of Taking Charge of Adult ADHD
Heidi Belleau
I wasn't so keen on this book. There were a few helpful suggestions and I liked the breakdown of medications and explanation of how they work, but a lot of the book just wasn't relevant to my experience. There was a huge portion dedicated to "do you have adhd" and how to be diagnosed, which is a stage I am already past, and then there was a significant amount of time spent on much more severe effects of impulsiveness such as drug use, criminality, being unable to manage your temper/speak to othe ...more
Kcatty
Sep 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: r-done, nonfic, school
This took me way too long to get through, considering I borrowed it in November and it's almost March. Ah, ADHD, don't you just love it?
Rob
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is so far the most useful book I've read on ADHD. I should have started with this one. The chapters were short, which was nice.
S P
Dec 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
Best book I've read on Adult ADHD so far.
Alexander Temerev
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
What a depressing book it was.

Basically it says: “OK, so you have ADHD. Sucks to be you. Go through this huge laundry list of these and those things to do, don’t forget to take your medication, find a mentor — assuming anybody will want to deal with you, and who could blame them? — and if you are extremely lucky, and with heavy effort, maybe you can become half a normal man or woman who runs through all of this effortlessly, which you’ll never be. What a burden to society!”

All of this is true pe
Keith
Nov 21, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book is a good example of lying with statistics. The author ignores the known obvious causes of ADHD and comes up with unproven claims that ADHD is caused by brain development problems or general chemical unbalances. At the same time he's a big fan of diagnosing ADHD with the "evaluation process", but he fails to mention that these questionnaires claim over 85% of people have ADHD. So by his logic over 85% of people have a chemical imbalance or an underdeveloped brain. He doesn't put these ...more
Rat
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: long-term-stuff
Written by an actual medical specialist and not some dweeb that talks about "toxins" in their mental health clickbait article. It's a very relatable and helpful book with tons of good advice and strategies. Basically the ADHD Bible. Don't treat this like a textbook. If you put it down, come back to it after a while. Skip the chapters that don't apply to you. Do the activities and reflections and then reflect on your progress when you go back to the book after accidentally forgetting about it for ...more
Kimia
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is like the Bible of ADHDers. I’m so glad I came across this and I wish I had read it years ago. Really helped me off the roller coaster. Dr. Russel Barkley is so smart and amazing. The book is great.
Patrick Kelly
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As someone with Adult ADHD I found this book very helpful. If your looking to learn more, are newly diagnosed, or have it all your life, this is the book for you.
It gives a detailed description of ADHD, the problems it causes, treatment options, and management strategies. There are sections that you can write in and put in your thoughts and experiences. In this way it acts as a work book.
I picked up this book because it and the author are widely cited in much ADHD work. It supported those cita
Ashley Pichman
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very insightful for me, an adult with ADHD. I just wish he didn't push being medicated as such a strong course of action. I also don't agree with the theory that it's caused by an underdevelopment in the brain, a chemical imbalance, while it might be considered an underdevelopment, is much more comforting. Otherwise it answered several questions and life experiences that had been left a mystery, for me, for years. For example: ADHD is a form of blindness...time blindness.
Lori
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very insightful book for adults with ADHD. However, I find it a double edged sword as I desire to implement the ideas as an adult with ADHD which makes the task daunting, overwhelming and of course very half hazard....what is one to do?
Jeremy
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
While this was very informative and helpful, it does push medication very heavily
Sana Burton
Ehhh. I could see this being helpful to some people, but the focus is so firmly on impulsive/hyperactive symptoms that if you have inattentive type you probably won't get much from it. Being told to "stop the action" when you haven't initiated a task in months and don't move unless poked with a sharp stick isn't hugely helpful.

I also wasn't a huge fan of Barkley's tone, I found it a little condescending, but maybe that's because this book is aimed at a general audience and I'm used to books abou
Jaclyn
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
(Review originally posted at The ADHD Homestead .)

Dr. Russell Barkley’s Taking Charge of Adult ADHD provides a rundown of adult ADHD basics that’s comprehensive, yet easy to read.

That said, I took it at a sluggish pace. It’s informative, conversational, and approachable, but the language often feels overwordy. I’m okay with this because the book’s true value isn’t in a one-time, sequential reading, but in the many times I’ll pull it off the shelf for reference. Taking Charge offers a wealth o
Derek Shouba
Sep 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well, I learned a heck of a lot about ADHD from this book, which summarizes and popularizes myriad scientific studies on the subject. Well, his books (and YouTube lectures) on child ADHD are even more informative. ADHD seems less cute (and more dangerous) than it’s generally depicted.
Molly Stuckey
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is much more about figuring out if you have ADHD and less about management. The tools the author gives are also very laughable and include tons of steps which would be so hard for someone who has ADHD. About 20%/30% interesting (like the section on careers). I guess if you wanted to know more about signs of ADHD exist this would be helpful but not for management of life.
Emilee Ashline
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful Insight

I chose this rating because this book gave me a good idea and understanding of why I do the things I do as a person's with adhd. I liked how it was very informative and had wonderful suggestions about coping with adhd
Amirography
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is like a dictionary for me. I go back and forth reading it, doing every single thing it recommends. It is truly amazing for those of us with Adult ADHD. More than that, Dr. Barkley is renowned skeptical ADHD expert. I just love him!
Tom
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Helpful but condescending.
Michelle Lovato
Nov 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ADHD book tries to keep readers’ attention
Posted on March 5, 2011by michellelovatosbookreviews, world's first book color commentator
I started reading Taking Charge of Adult ADHD by Russell A. Barkley, PhD several days ago but this book is so full of words that I got bored real fast.
I was at first offended that this title’s publishing company, Guilford Press, designed this book by encasing some pages in an outlined gray box.
Any idiot who was diagnosed as clinically hyperactive in the early 1970s
Matheus Gaudert
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So far this has been the most helpful book for dealing with adult adhd that I have read. Dr. Barkley has extensive knowledge and a personal history with ADHD, he was also part of the team that created the diagnosis criteria for the DSM-IV.

As someone with ADHD I recommend you skim over some parts of this book, since it goes all the way from how to get diagnosed to how to get treated and live with ADHD. The best part is that Dr. Barkley even mentions that in the book itself. Saying "if you're only
adderallwiki
Dec 24, 2019 marked it as to-read

To help prevent withdrawal, your doctor may lower your dose slowly. Removal is more likely if you have used this medication for a long time or in high doses. Tell your doctor or pharmacist right away if you have withdrawal.

Though it helps many people, this medication may sometimes cause addiction. This risk may be higher if you have a substance use disorder (such as overuse of or addiction to drugs/alcohol). Do not increase your dose, take it more often, or use it for a longer time than prescrib
ratherastory
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
This is one of the definitive books written on Adult ADHD, and it merits its reputation. It's clearly and cogently written, and is the result of evidence-based research. The audiobook is well-read (though with a few odd choices of pacing in some passages which made them a little more difficult to understand--luckily there is a rewind button!). The last chapter with it's emphasis on all the horrifying ways in which ADHD can kill you was perhaps a tad dramatic--not that it's not true, but I feel l ...more
Lisa
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Favorite chapters were about evaluation, knowing and owning your ADHD, medications, and everyday rules for success. The last chapter about changing your situation was more prescriptive than helpful, and generally less relevant to me. Not everyone has every symptom, so identifying what symptoms you have and how to address them is key to success.
Nathan A’Hearn
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
While recently being diagnosed with ADHD this book does an excellent job of not only ways to help manage and cope but explain what ADHD is. Society has a way of glorifying someone’s bad experiences to “Being ADHD” but what gets lost is that someone with ADHD goes through this every day. I’ve reached out to Dr. Barkley via email and thanked him for his contributions and research.
Valerie
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is good. It has lots of good ideas about where to start and how to improve things. BUT if you don't see yourself in Barkley's discription of what it means to be an adult with ADHD, I THINK it is because his descriptions of it tend masculine and leave out the unique ways ADHD presents for many women.
Nadia
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
The author takes a very compassionate approach toward ADHD, and this book was very warm and reassuring without losing its pragmatism. It also had some good practical advice, though I wish it had had a bit more.
Grant
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very useful read that has helped me to put ADHD into perspective and has given great recommendations on dealing with it. Does get a little repetitive and could be shorter in some sections.
Tony
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Next to therapy and medication, this is the most useful tool I have to combat my adult ADHD. I plan to read it again and again. Very happy to have found this.
marchessini
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book!

I even have the audible too! Life changing! It answers alot of my internal questions. I'll read this book everyday till I'll master it.
Adderall Statistics 1 3 Jan 18, 2020 02:19AM

• Driven to Distraction: Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder from Childhood Through Adulthood
  • The ADHD Effect on Marriage: Understand and Rebuild Your Relationship in Six Steps
  • The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents
  • Scattered: How Attention Deficit Disorder Originates and What You Can Do About It
  • Olive, Again
  • Women with Attention Deficit Disorder: Embrace Your Differences and Transform Your Life
  • بیست و چهار ساعت در خواب و بیداری
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self-Delusion
  • The Queen of Distraction: How Women with ADHD Can Conquer Chaos, Find Focus, and Get More Done
  • Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
  • You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!: A Self-Help Book for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder
  • Olive Kitteridge (Olive Kitteridge, #1)
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • Have Me (Stark Trilogy, #3.2)
  • A Warning
  • The Mindfulness Prescription for Adult ADHD: An 8-Step Program for Strengthening Attention, Managing Emotions, and Achieving Your Goals
  • Delivered from Distraction: Getting the Most out of Life with Attention Deficit Disorder
Russell A. Barkley (born 1949) is a clinical psychologist who is a clinical professor of psychiatry at the Medical University of South Carolina and an author of books on ADHD. Involved in research since 1973 and a licensed psychologist since 1977, he is an expert on attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and has devoted much of his scientific career to studying ADHD and related problems i ...more

News & Interviews