Start by marking “Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 2: Doom” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 2: Doom

Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 2: Doom (Ultimate Fantastic Four #2)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  1,951 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
After a bizarre experiment unexpectedly imbued them with extraordinary powers, high-school genius Reed Richards and his fellow adventurers must learn to adapt to their amazing new situation. But before they can even begin to get accustomed, former classmate Victor Van Damme - who was caught in the same experiment that gave the Fantastic Four their superhuman powers - retur ...more
Published November 5th 2008 by Marvel (first published December 22nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 2

Sesana
Jul 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
This volume seemed to be largely concerned with character development, both of the FF and van Damme (the Doom analog). And not just character development, but defining their abilities and the changes to their bodies. Like that Reed doesn't really have internal organs anymore, just a vaguely lung-like, heart-like structure. Weird, and weirdly fascinating. Not so sure about this take on Doom, though. He seems much more unstable and delusional than 616 Doom, and I'm not sure if that's a terribly in ...more
Gavin
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
description

More tardy Foursome Shallow Buddyreads!

Volume 2 picks up on the hunt for Victor Van Damme, and we discover that he's had to construct himself a suit of armour to cover his decaying body. He's based in a squatters area in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Before we get the first showdown before him and the Four, there's some other stuff to take care of...first off: Warren Ellis is writing!
He's got a different style than Bendis and Millar, less for the masses, a little more intelligent, but still highly enjoya
Shadowdenizen
Good, but a weak introduction, IMO to the Doom character.
Brittany
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
"I have locked you in your own bodies! You are my subjects now!"

Fantastic Four is a group I thought I'd never like. But I'm two volumes in and I want to read the entire run... Also: Doom is a badass beyond belief.

I liked pretty much everything about this. Sue and Johnny and Ben were crazy good on the fighting end, and Reed offered up his bigger than life brain at every turn. The artwork was super legit. The conflict was so real. I think I'm in love.

And DOOM! Not only does he have history with FF
Cameron Chaney
Doom has always been the most well-known villain of Fantastic Four, so I was expecting a pretty special volume when I saw that this was centered around him. And it was pretty good, especially the last comic in this volume with its dark visuals and epic action.

The character design of Doom is more than menacing, making him the kind of guy you wouldn't want to encounter in a dark alley. Then again, you shouldn't be wondering around in a dark alley anyway. Idiot. Anyway, the design of Doom is pretty
Feather Mista
De lo poco que leí hasta ahora del universo Ultimate de Marvel, lo único que me pareció buenísimo fue Ultimates, tanto el primer volumen como el segundo. En segundo puesto, aunque bastante lejos, vienen los Fantastic Four y su reversión industrializada y, por lo tanto, más coherente con lo que sería en realidad un grupo de supergenios con poderes. Y aunque este tomo lo escribe un Ellis menos inspirado que en otros laburos (y que sus antecesores), se encarga de narrar una buena historia del futur ...more
Ma'Belle
Feb 09, 2009 rated it liked it
I read the first two volumes of Ultimate Fantastic Four as one combined hardcover volume (and as part of my current Warren Ellis binge).

I gotta say, Bendis, Kubert, and Ellis all did a great job writing an origin story about a team I'd never previously cared for but am now fascinated by. I hope the series continues to be as enjoyable.
Mark Desrosiers
Jul 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Unwitting hippie recently tattooed by Dr. Doom: "Wow, that stings like..."
Dr. Doom: "Don't touch it. The microfibers have to mate with your brain stem."

Here, our chipper quartet ends up defying the U.S. military in order to confront Dr. Doom and his gang of scruffy hippies in Copenhagen (?!). Warren Ellis and Stuart Immonen perform their usual hilarious & gripping brain-stem mating here, so you won't be disappointed.

Mark Pettit
This finally gave me a good idea of the chemistry that should exist in a good Fantastic Four title.

I've read some of the early stuff, I've seen the cartoons and pieces of the movie, and I really never understood the team at all.

Why is Ben so angry all the time? What's the deal with Sue and Reed?

I know this story is set in Earth-1610, so it has its own continuity. But if this is any indication of how the team should interact with each other, I'm really impressed. This is an excellent story, and t
Manuel Alejandro
Sep 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think Warren Ellis doesn’t receive half of the praise that he deserves as a comic book writer. Don’t get me wrong, his work IS a pretty big deal, but I think based in how good his work has generally been and how much understanding he has of the medium you would think that he would be more recognized by the comic book fans.

Warren Ellis worked in the Ultimate Universe for a couple of years. I believe it was probably because he felt that there he could take advantage to write his classical weird
Charles
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the second installment of what is a reboot of the story of the Fantastic Four. In this case the accident that gave them their powers was not exposure to cosmic rays, but a failed experiment to transport solid matter to a parallel universe.
In this story, the U. S. government is paranoid about their powers and wants them to stay in the Baxter Building. The Fantastic Four is essentially under house arrest with a significant military guard. The U. S. military also is far more aggressive i
Travis
Jul 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Fun, but uneven read.
This story reminds us that stripped down to basics the FF is a pretty cool concept, Ellis seems to have toned down his 'I'm a cranky old bastard' enough to write good, straight forward versions of the four, while thinking about how their bodies have changed and what that means.

Wish Warren had toned down his attempts at writing 'cool youth slang' s well as making fun of parts of the FF mythos. That bit of meta 'nudge, nudge, you get it, Fantasti-car is pretty goofy' is distr
Edward Cheer
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Definitely a great step in the right direction as the next set of issues for the decent opening The Fantastic provided. I absolutely enjoyed the characters and humor all the way towards the climax. Then I loved the story. Van Damme is handled so excellently as a villain, as someone who opposes the protagonists but also has some good within him. He was psychologically tortured by his father, and he surrounds himself by tons of people in his small nation trying to fill the hole in his heart, but h ...more
James
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A solid advancement of the Fantastic Four's origins for Marvel's mid-2000s "Ultimate" universe. Here the team is adjusting to their new powers--and trying to track down Victor von Damme, who holds the only information that can restore them to their normal selves. A murderous tyrant, Doom poses as an anarchist, building an ultimately unwilling army of anti-imperialist hippy sorts. The story, written by Warren Ellis, is pretty sharp both in building the team dynamic and reacting to the Iraq invasi ...more
Jeff Raymond
I'll say this much - few comics have left me quite as conflicted as Ultimate Fantastic Four so far. I keep going back and forth between really enjoying it and rolling my eyes a lot, and a lot of it likely has to do with my significant enjoyment of the Future Foundation books. Hickman is good at this in a way that Bendis and Ellis are...different. Not worse, but different.

In this, we're continuing origin stuff a bit. That's the key point, and it's a lot of origin mixed with Doctor Doom, and the
Stacey
Sep 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Warren Ellis takes over the writing duties in Doom to introduce the Fantastic Four's greatest villain, Doctor Doom. The finale of the The Fantastic had them all wondering what had happened to Victor after the accident that turned them into superheroes but here we find out that he's been teleported to Denmark, grown a skin of metal and is insane. It's the insane part that really sets things up.

I really liked some of the dialogue in this volume. Especially the reveal of the fantasti-car. Ellis got
Matt
Oct 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Collects Ultimate Fantastic Four issues #7-12

This was a natural follow up to Volume 1, but I felt less interested in this collection. I noticed that the writer changed from Volume 1 (Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Millar) to Volume 2 (Warren Ellis), so that probably made a big difference.

So far, I'm not a fan of the Ultimate Dr. Doom, although I do still like each of the characters in the Ultimate Fantastic Four.

I plan to read on in this series, but I feel less excited after reading Volume 2.
Eric
Jul 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, superheros
Not sure how I feel about this Doom yet. I like seeing Doom just beginning to start his empire. I don't think we've seen that before. But I am confused after seeing a different Doom in #6. I guess I'll have to read on to make the connection.

Still some odd references thrown in there to jar you into remembering they are younger. Kind of works, but still feels like its missing the mark. Well, I read on...
Riki
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hell yes, this one was a lot of fun. Continuing from where the first volume left off, we get to meet Fantastic Four's first new enemy: Dr. Doom. His origin tale is wonderfully told here, and the whole series is just fun fun fun. It's been so long since I've enjoyed comics this much. I had no idea this kind of superhero fun still existed. Be sure to pick up volume one first though, as that's a treat as well!
Lissibith
Mar 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Another great issue. this issue sees the return of Victor Von Doom and the fledgeling friendship between Ben and Johnny, as well as the furtherance of the relationship between Sue and Reed. We get to learn a little more about the biology of three members of the team.

Some of the dialogue was fairly awkward, but mostly it was just a lot of fun to read :)
Mf
Jan 26, 2010 rated it liked it
This volume explains the origin of Doom, as it says in the title. This one is a bit harder to swallow, plot-wise. The Fantastic Four development and delving into their background is still good. Looking forward to #3..
Jdetrick
This isn't bad, but the problems I had with the Ultimate version of the FF just get worse as the series progresses. What makes the FF unique simply isn't here, and we're left with a perfectly fine superhero comic, but nothing special.
Michael
Aug 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
With this, Ellis gives some back story to Doom, but doesn't make him dangerous enough. The narrative is not as punchy as Ellis' average. To me, this could have been much better, but is still enjoyable.
Sean Brennan
May 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I am still not sure if I like the idea of Reed Richards as a teenager because the combination of genius I.Q., scientific curiosity added to teenage hormones is a particulary heady brew. Richards certainly with that much military potential would never see sunlight again!

Todd
Warren Ellis writes the fun run of Ultimate Fantastic Four. Here we get Reed's defiance when he knows he's right.

Johnny and Ben start their prank relationship. It's lots of fun. I love Immonen's art.
Jedhua
Book Info: This collection contains Ultimate Fantastic Four issues #7-12.

{2.5/5 stars}
Colin Moon
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Introducing a character like Doom easily and without pretense is pretty important and a pretty hard task, I imagine, but these guys handled it beautifully. Immomen is a fantastic addition to the style of the book, all crisp lines and smooth actions. Some of the best FF I've read in years.
Dan
Sep 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Ellis manages to put his own stamp on this family-friendly franchise. This is the movie they should've made.
Rob McMonigal
Oct 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
It's Warren Ellis writing the FF. Need I say more? I did, and you can read my review here: http://trebro.livejournal.com/180872....
Angel
Aug 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
See my short note on it:
[http://gypsylibrarian.blogspot.com/20...]
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 1: The Fantastic
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 5: Crossover
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 4: Inhuman
  • Ultimate X-Men, Volume 9: The Tempest
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN. The movie RED is based on his graphic novel of the same name, its sequel having been released in summer 2013. His graphic novel GLOBAL FREQUENCY is in development at Jerry ...more
More about Warren Ellis...

Ultimate Fantastic Four (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 1: The Fantastic