Start by marking “A Day for Damnation” as Want to Read:
A Day for Damnation

A Day for Damnation

(The War Against the Chtorr #2)

McCarthy was drafted from his college biology studies and became a member of the Special Forces. Then he is given the opportunity to contact the Chtorr, but when a helicopter crash leaves him and his companions stranded in enemy territory, he must decide whether to communicate with the Chtorr--or kill them!
Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Published February 1st 1989 by Spectra (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about A Day for Damnation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Day for Damnation

Start your review of A Day for Damnation
Ubiquitousbastard
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's pretty rare for me to read a series where the first and second books are both amazing. This is a perfect follow up to the first book in the series. Everything I loved about the first book is still present, and in addition there is a significant advancement in world building and setting up for future books. Many authors seems to have trouble balancing setting up long-term plot threads while making a book interesting and well-paced.

Then there is Gerrold's ability to throw in psychology and
Tim
May 04, 2008 added it
Shelves: 2008
Better than A Matter for Men--Gerrold remembers that the function of an entertainment is to entertain, and even when things slow to allow a character to tell without showing some concept Gerrold's trying to get across, it's almost excusable--two books into a series and you're allowed some pauses for expository breathing room. The homosexual struggles are here mostly replaced with madness-of-crowds themes, in keeping with the title's reference to religion. This time around the book's characters ...more
Christopher Schneider
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The best (albeit, unfinished) alien invasion series I know. Trying to be patient in waiting for him to close the loop on this one. I balk at recommending it to others only because I don't want them to experience the same 21+ year wait that the rest of us have had to deal with since he published the "latest" book in the series, A Season for Slaughter. However, to be fair, I have no idea how the hell he is going to tie this all together, and I admire the man's ambition for taking on such a project ...more
Juniper
Oct 15, 2014 rated it liked it
More interpersonal and sexual than the first but it's easy and engaging. Will continue reading the series.
Stefan
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
What an incredibly boring and drawn-out book.

In essence, this story consists of two brief encounters with the Chtorr. One at the start of the book, and one at the end. The rest? Well, that's boring blah-blah that's completely irrelevant to the story and is just annoying to have to dig your way through.

That's one way to make an eight-part series I guess. Twenty pages of actual story and two hundred fifty pages of useless padding.
J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own

The Chtorr jokes got old in a hurry.

The mom says something about Jim being in a dress and makeup at their dinner. I can't tell if the mom is talking about his dress uniform and metals or if he is actually wearing a dress... Aside from some things in book 1 there hasn't been anything to indicate that the character is messed up in the head.

Okay, so much queer stuff. Bleh. It's really too bad because the writing and story are great.
Dale Rosso
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting addition to the series, sometimes parts of this series can be a bit drawn out but overall it is a good story.
Fred D
Apr 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Very fascinating book with a unique spin on the alien invasion story. Prior to invasion, the aliens attempt to 'reverse terraform' the Earth by introducing plant and animal life from their home planet that wipe out Earth's native flora & fauna to make the envirnment more suitable to them. Earthlife easily gets out-competed. First, alien microbes are introduced that wipe out 90% of the human population. Civilization collapses, and the survivors are left to try and desperately hang on as wave ...more
Jim N
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A Day for Damnation is my favorite book in David Gerrold's excellent-but-unfinished War Against the Chtorr series. Gerrold ramps up the story in this second book, delving more deeply into the nature and diversity of the alien ecology that's invading the planet and into the impact living in a post-apocalypse world is having on the human race. The book features an extended sequence in which the main characters are trapped in something akin to an alien "blizzard" that is among the most memorable ...more
Mark
Jan 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf
The story of the Chtorrian invasion continues. The Chtorrian ecology is developed in more detail, which is good. The main character matures a little, which is good. There is some semi-mystic crap, like, human beings being so overwhelmed by angst than they turn into simple herd animals. Not so good. Or like the naked dancing with the alien creatures to attempt communication. Also not so good.

I think there is a conflict in this book between the "science" writing of describing the aliens and the
Matt
Oct 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Really glad I stuck with this after the first book. Whereas "A Matter for Men" got a little tedious with its Socratic monologuing, "A Day For Damnation" gives more payoff in the way of heightening the sense of dread (the gross Chtorran jokes ala "dead baby jokes" at the end of each chapter are surprisingly effective at kicking it up a notch, regardless of what's happening in the plot), and claustrophobia (trapped in a helicopter with not only one, but several types of aliens surrounding the main ...more
Victoria
Jun 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Rereading The War Against the Chtorr so I can finally read book 4. Of the three I've read previously, this one strikes me as the weakest... somehow it just doesn't hold together as well as the others in the series. Nevertheless a fascinating, one-of-a-kind, terrific book with a terrifically human main character.
Adrian Hunter
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
I read this many years after reading the abridged version of A Matter For Men, and was nearly bored to tears by it; all the action, scientific discovery, and world building of the Chtorran ecology was lost and i had to try twice to get though it.
Robyn
A former boyfriend introduced me to the series, which at the time we thought would be rounded out by a fifth book within a couple of years. How naive we were! Don't know how the War Against the Chtorr books were never added to my GoodReads account.
June
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am actually re-reading this series - I had read it about 10 years ago. From a psychological perspective, the bits Gerrold worked in regarding telepathy, a collective mourning response, and the herd are thought-provoking.
Mary-Ellen
Mar 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
2nd Chtorr book. Really, truly hooks you into the story.
I.F. Adams
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The second chapter of the Chtorr saga. Continues with amazing style, and a mix of horror and sci-fi second to none.
John V
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great story.
Doug Clark
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One he corrected the ending in later editions it became a classic
Peter
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi
Den na prokleti
NumberLord
May 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The story of the Chtorr invasion continues. We find out more about the alien biology--although there's much to be figured out.
Mitchell
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
A great continuation in the alien invasion saga, it goes far deeper than most books about invasions.
David Buchholz
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Book two, great unfinished series.
Randy
Jul 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Second volume in Gerrold's massive series about alien invasion.
Leif
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jim, now an experienced operative, keeps on fighting those worms and getting into all sorts of interesting situations.
Alexa Billow
Apr 26, 2012
Sebastian
Jan 23, 2008
Jasper
Jan 22, 2015
Deborah
Jan 10, 2009

• The Ladies of Mandrigyn (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #1)
  • Cat-A-Lyst
  • Prince of the Blood (Krondor's Sons, #1)
  • The King's Buccaneer (Krondor's Sons, #2)
  • Starstrike
  • Convergence (Foreigner, #18)
  • A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)
  • Silverthorn (The Riftwar Saga, #3)
  • Angel Mage
  • Raven's Peace (Peacekeepers of Sol Book 1)
  • Taltos (Vlad Taltos, #4)
  • Broken (Women of the Otherworld, #6)
  • Magician: Master (The Riftwar Saga, #2)
  • Haunted (Women of the Otherworld, #5)
  • Delta-V
  • The Long March (The Exiled Fleet, #2)
  • Albion Lost (The Exiled Fleet, #1)
  • The Light Brigade

The War Against the Chtorr (5 books)
  • A Matter for Men (War Against the Chtorr #1)
  • A Rage for Revenge
  • A Season for Slaughter (War Against the Chtorr #4)
  • Method for Madness