Start by marking “A Season for Slaughter (War Against the Chtorr #4)” as Want to Read:
A Season for Slaughter (War Against the Chtorr #4)

A Season for Slaughter

(The War Against the Chtorr #4)

From the author of the Star Trek novel, Encounter at Far Point comes the fourth book in his riveting epic of alien invasion and conquest. Only luck, sheer will and an incredible ability to adapt will bring the expedition to safety, when a Special Forces commando and a scientist lead a group of experts into the heart of the alien invasion in South America.
Mass Market Paperback, 562 pages
Published December 1st 1992 by Spectra (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about A Season for Slaughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Season for Slaughter

Start your review of A Season for Slaughter (War Against the Chtorr #4)
Mojo
Nov 23, 2011 rated it liked it
I read this when it came out WAY back in '92 and frankly it's been so long that I have forgotten what it was all about except in broad stroke. I really liked the series but I don't think I will read any more. 20+ years of waiting between books is just too much to ask from a reader. I got so tired of hearing "any day now, no early next year, no late next year, maybe the year after that...." that I stopped paying any attention to Mr. Gerrold.
NumberLord
May 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The series gets back on course (for the most part) in this book. Our hero Jim starts finding out more about the aliens.
But where's the next book? Season for Slaughter was published in 1992. The final three books in the series already have names (A Method For Madness, A Time For Treason, and A Case For Courage)...now hows about publishing the darn things?!
Adrian Hunter
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
I didn't hate it as much as the last two. McCarthy gets even MORE full of himself, and all the other characters in charge just kind of tolerate him because of his incredible talent in deciphering the Chtorran ecology. The world really is coming to an end as the Chtorran ecology has almost completely overwhelmed our own, and a last ditch research/military expedition may or may not gain the keys to fighting back. Ends on a hell of a cliffhanger that's been waiting ten plus years for resolution
Bon Tom
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WE. WANT. MORE!
Gunther Rogahn
Apr 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
I refuse to read anything by this jackass until he finishes this series. He's been lying about it for 20 years or so.
J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own

After I began book 1 I found out this was an unfinished series. That was a bit of a killjoy. A posting on his facebook page from mid 2017 sparked hope that he might crank out the final two books pretty soon. Unfortunately, a few seconds more on his facebook page destroyed my hope. He has apparently become a Hillary supporter and I just don't know how the guy that wrote these (libertarian flavored?) books falls into the idiocracy of liberal mentality. But no one is the same person after
Victoria
Jun 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Really something of a disappointment. A Season for Slaughter is the 4th book in David Gerrold's heretofore amazing "War Against the Chtorr" series - the first three of which I had read before. They're all out of print now, or were when I went looking for them, and it took me so long to track down book four ('bout five years ago) that by the time I found it at a LGBT bookstore in downtown Toronto (a funny story in and of itself) I had fallen out of the habit of the series and didn't get around to ...more
Martin
Mar 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Dokončeno z 70% a odloženo. Celá série Války s Chtorry začínala tak slibně. První kniha byla plná zajímavých nápadů popisů interakcí cizorodých ekosystému a ovlivnění naší planety a vzájemných interakcí. To všechno bylo doplněno zajímavou akcí a skvělým experimentem se psychologií a posunem lidského myšlení v rámci přežití druhu. To byla první kniha, následovala smutná sestupná tendence a tento výtvor není nic jiného než tragédie. Hlavní hrdina celou dobu brečí, řeší vztahy a chová se jako malé ...more
Jim N
Jul 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
A Season for Slaughter is the fourth and, thus far, final book in the unfinished War Against the Chtorr series. I've been waiting decades for more and supposedly, substantial portions of the fifth and six books are coming one of these days. Meanwhile, even incomplete, this remains a series worth reading.

This entry contains some of the most memorable scenes in the series. We're given much more insight into the Chtorran ecology and how it interacts with both terrestrial lifeforms and other
Matt
Oct 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Despite a lot of drag in the center from the soap opera, the bookends of action with the Chtorr are fascinating, with the scientific treatises at each chapter's end adding a growing sense of dread with the evidence and theorizing about just what Jim and Liz are dealing with. Incredible attention to detail of an alien ecosystem. I have this theory that the Chtorr are not aliens but merely the next stage of evolution. Which makes it horrible on another level...humans fighting against fate. Though ...more
Gwell
Aug 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Excellent characters, events and settings, I have a love hate reaction to the main character, mostly because of his mistakes as well as success in the fight against the alien infestation of earth. The interactions of humanity with the alien ecology and the type of society that is evolving to cope is very intriguing and still no indication of who and how the infestation is being accomplished.

Gerrold has been very slow to complete the remainder of the heptology, his excuse is that as the story has
Robert Bush
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
4 books in and...they still know nothing. The invaders are still a complete and utter mystery to them.

Add in that this book was published over 20 years ago and the 5th book is still no where to be found? He claims in some interview questions at the end of the copy I read that he knows exactly where this series is going. Well, if he does, then he doesn't know how to get there. Either that, or he's drawing the story out into multiple book instead of just finishing the damn story!

I'm going to lean
Eyjólfur Örn Jónsson
Jun 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Despite never really liking Science fiction I fell in love with these books in the early 90s. Gerrold draws an amazing picture of a future where humans have come under attack. Aliens unlike anything I had ever read or heard about came to graphic life in Gerrolds storytelling. He stays true to life and makes the story very believable by making the main character Jim extremely flawed and prone to mistakes (making for an excellent love/hate relationship with the readers).

Its now been 19 years since
Christopher Schneider
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The best (albeit, unfinished) alien invasion series I know. Trying to be patient in waiting for him to close the loop on this one. I balk at recommending this one to others only because I don't want them to experience the same 21+ year wait that the rest of us have had to deal with since he published the "latest" book in the series, A Season for Slaughter. However, to be fair, I have no idea how the hell he is going to tie this all together, and I admire the man's ambition for taking on such a ...more
Juniper
Oct 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
The scifi is still interesting. The interpersonal aspects are still annoying. I found myself scimming and skipping a lot of the overly descriptive walls of text that kept me asking how much the author is being paid by the word. I don't need to read about every possible detail when it comes to a 7 course meal or the random names used for worms that were never used again beyond the initial naming of them. Seriously... he threw nearly 100 names at you in one chapter and they didn't stick.
Colin
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The fantastic 4th book of "The War Against The Chtorr", taking us deeper into the Chtorran ecology, the mysteries of how the Chtorr infested Earth and hints at how the intelligence guiding the invasion may function. Released in 1993, I believe, now more than 20 years later we're still waiting for books 5-7 . . . but Gerrold's website says they're in the works!
Robyn
A former boyfriend introduced me to the series, which at the time we thought would be rounded out by a fifth book within a couple of years. How naive we were! Don't know how the War Against the Chtorr books were never added to my GoodReads account.
Bill
Jan 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Hmmm...too much of a good thing perhaps? This one started off as another winner for about 200 pages but the rest started to wear a bit thin. No sign of any more on the horizon but I'm waiting.
But I'm in too deep to back out now. I need more, c'mon Dave, get these published!!!
AndrewP
Oct 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Still a great story but the author seems to have written himself into a corner here. I can't see any way out, and as there are no further volumes in this series I will have to wait to see what happens.
Mitchell
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I love the Chtorr series. Pleeeeeeeeeze, Mr. Gerrold, finish another one for us. Somewhere, there must be an ending to your saga.
Randy
Jul 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Fourth and, to date, the last Chtorr novel. He's been writing book 5 for years and has contracted for a sixth, maybe seven. I'll believe it when I see them.
Seventeen years and counting.
I.F. Adams
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gerrold's amazing and conversational writing, in the equally amazing and vibrant (and terrifying) Chtorr universe. Love it.
Charles Rankin
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love the expansion of the Chtorran ecology in this book. The only downside is the indeterminate wait for the 5th book in the series. :)
Leon
Sep 13, 2009 rated it liked it
He ventures into territory a little more philosophical than I prefer in my sci-fi.
John Cheeseman
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked it and would appreciate a decent writer finishing the series so I can stop thinking about how Earth is saved.
Leif
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dark, dark, dark. Cliffhanger installment with the same smart writing and awesome detail the previous three books had.
Tomáš Sekerka
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
Parádní série, myslím, že by to sneslo ještě jeden díl. Trošku mě štvalo, jakej je hlavní hrdina uplakánek :)
Laurinda
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Charl
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: y2013
(Re)Reading an old favorite. I love the whole War Against the Chtorr series. I just wish Gerrold could crank them out a little faster.
Doug Clark
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great addition to the series. Now if only he would write the next one its been over 15 years!

• The Serpent of Venice
  • Captain to Captain (Star Trek: Legacies #1)
  • A Darkness At Sethanon (The Riftwar Saga, #4)
  • Silverthorn (The Riftwar Saga, #3)
  • Texas Flood: The Inside Story of Stevie Ray Vaughan
  • Who I Am
  • The Rules of Supervillainy (The Supervillainy Saga, #1)
  • Issola (Vlad Taltos, #9)
  • Cat-A-Lyst
  • Convergence (Foreigner, #18)
  • The King's Buccaneer (Krondor's Sons, #2)
  • Prince of the Blood (Krondor's Sons, #1)
  • Starstrike
  • The Ladies of Mandrigyn (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #1)
  • The Time of the Dark (Darwath, #1)
  • The Best American Short Stories 2019
  • Dragon (Vlad Taltos, #8)
  • The Walls of Air (Darwath, #2)

The War Against the Chtorr (5 books)
  • A Matter for Men (War Against the Chtorr #1)
  • A Day for Damnation