Start by marking “Waiting to Exhale” as Want to Read:
Waiting to Exhale

Waiting to Exhale (Waiting To Exhale #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  12,584 Ratings  ·  419 Reviews
The classic novel of triumph, revenge, and friendship-now in a premium edition

From the critically-acclaimed author of How Stella Got Her Groove Back comes this wise, down-to-earth story of a friendship between four African American women who lean on each other while "waiting to exhale"-waiting for that man who will take their breath away.
Published January 4th 2005 by Signet (first published May 28th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Waiting to Exhale, please sign up.

Tiera Denise The book would be COMPLETELY different if told from the pov of their men. Self love and friendship are some pretty big themes throughout the book and…moreThe book would be COMPLETELY different if told from the pov of their men. Self love and friendship are some pretty big themes throughout the book and I feel as if having the pov of the men wouldn't contribute to this at all. (less)

Linda
Aug 08, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is a case where I actually thought the movie was better than the book. The scene where Angela Bassett's character torches her philandering husband's vehicle with all his worldly goods inside was worth the price of admission.
Nardsbaby Reader
Jan 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That’s What Friends Are For

I originally read WAITING TO EXHALE in the 90s when I was a teenager. A group of us decided to reread the story to see if it would have the same impact on as mature women. I have never reread a book before. I was under the impression that doing so the story wouldn’t be as interesting and predictable. As key parts of the story, the line up from the movie played out, I could actually hear Whitney Houston, Lela Rochon, Loretta Devine and Angela Bassett’s voices.

Savannah
Tracey L.H.
Feb 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to feel a Black woman's pain
I read this book in high school and I was disgusted! Then in African American Lit class for my junior year, we watched the movie, and I still hated it!

But it wasn't until I went to college that the book and its' leading ladies reverberated with my soul and outlook on men, life, and love!

One of my friends, who is Hispanic, said the book was stupid! And I and every other black woman looked at her and said she was crazy as hell! And I vehemently told her she'll NEVER experience what Black women fee
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Aug 19, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the tale of four black women who are friends in early 1990s Phoenix, Arizona. I can't say I found any of the woman all that likable; they're so whiny and man-hungry. We first meet Savannah, never married and without children at thirty-six. She's affluent, doing well in her career in public relations, but tired of being single and of the faults of "buppie" (young black urban professional) males. She tells us, "I worry about if and when I'll ever find the right man, if I'll ever be able to ...more
Dec 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has so many early 90s moments that I was often laughing as the characters listen to Paula Abdul in their Nissans while committing various fashion and hair crimes. No suede dress or fuschia lipstick is left undescribed.

The detailed episodes of lousy sex that the main characters endure with every possible kind of loser are funny and icky. Also the constant swearing and foul-mouthedness is great. This book has a light-heartedness that is endearing. Things are bought and used for pleasure;
Damara
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not exactly sure why I read this. I suppose it was entertaining enough, but the writing was atrocious. The dialogue seemed wooden and disjointed (not to mention unnecessarily vulgar at times), but maybe since I was born in '86 I can't properly understand the plight of thirty something black women in the early '90s. Either way it was a quick read. I didn't hate it, but I also was disappointed by the lack of resolution at the end. I may have been better off just watching the movie, lol
Cyndy Aleo
Before the pap that was How Stella Got Her Groove Back, Terry McMillan wrote the brilliant Waiting to Exhale, a story of four female friends and their triumphs and failures in their relationships with men.

::: The New Musketeers :::

As the novel opens, Savannah has just quit her job to move to a new job in Phoenix, where her friend Bernadine lives, in hopes of furthering her career and moving from public relations to television producing. Bernadine herself has just found out that her husband has n
Rena
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: back-in-the-day, dt
More like 4.5 stars

Waiting to Exhale is one of those books I should have read years ago. Literally every woman and her mama have become familiar with the lives of Savannah, Bernadine, Robin and Gloria, and I did also, but through the movie version (which I love). But now that I've finally read the book, I can say it lives up to the phenomenon it once was back in the early 1990s. Of course, it's much more fleshed out in the book, and I can see how Terry McMillan stirred so many black women and ho
Danita Brown
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books by her.
Jill
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked it, but the situation with the father was wrapped up and brushed off too quickly.
  • Invisible Life
  • Brothers and Sisters
  • Milk in my Coffee
  • Ugly Ways
  • Blessings
  • Sisters & Lovers
  • Tryin' to Sleep in the Bed You Made
  • Babylon Sisters (West End, #2)
  • Homemade Love
20704
Terry McMillan is an African-American author. Her interest in books comes from working at a library when she was fourteen. She received her BA in journalism in 1986 from the University of California at Berkeley and the MFA Film Program at Columbia University. Her work is characterized by strong female protagonists.

Her first book, Mama, was self-promoted. She achieved national attention in 1992 wit
More about Terry McMillan...

Waiting To Exhale (2 books)
  • Getting to Happy (Waiting To Exhale #2)
“It’s not that marriage itself is bad; it’s the people we marry who give it a bad name.” 2 likes