Start by marking “Rose's Journal: The Story of a Girl in the Great Depression (Young American Voices, #4)” as Want to Read:

Rose's Journal: The Story of a Girl in the Great Depression (Young American Voices #4)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  118 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
On January 1, 1935, Rose Samuels bids good riddance to a dry, desolate year and begins a new one. The severe drought has left the fields too dry for crops and the farms are all failing. Times are tough, but with hope, love, and determination, Rose and her family manage to turn the year around.
Includes fun new book-related activities!
Published March 1st 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Rose's Journal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rose's Journal

Mairin
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked how this book had humor and excitement added into a historical fiction. It's a good story and book... for younger kids. However, I did enjoy it at age 10. You wouldn't necessarily want to read this book for solid information on the Great Depression or Dust Bowl, because it's more of a fun story. "Rose’s Journal" by Marissa Moss gives a 1/2 year story of a girl living in the Dust Bowl, her experiences, and feelings. One problem about this book is that you can tell that the author got tire ...more
Lauren
Apr 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social-studies
Journal entries from a girl growing up during the Dust Bowl and the Great Depression. This perspective really interests the students because they can relate.

Students can posts responses to the entries, place themselves in her life, or the teacher can use the activities in the journals as wonderful ideas to incorporate throughout the unit.
Anna Francesca
I would definitely recommend this book to 2nd to 5th grade students wanting to better understand the Dust Bowl and the Great Depression. The text touched on many difficult topics without being so heavy as to be undigestible. I am now curious to read other books in this series. It makes historical events easily relatable.
Andd Becker
Sep 28, 2012 rated it liked it
The diary covers January 1, 1935 to June 16, 1935. There are four photos. The eleven-year-old girl lives during a time in which the use it up/ wear it out/ make it do/ or do without philosophy prevails.
Saphira
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was ok
Meadow Frisbie
Oct 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
The severe drought is taking it's tole on the country, and in Rose's family.

This diary is very interesting in the way that it is put together, many illistrations and addition make it seam more personal and beliveable.
Jayna
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a cute diary of a child growing up in the Dust Bowl during the Great Depression. It accounts most of the major events that took place and even has pictures she ‘begged’ Ms. Lange to borrow.
Jazmyne edwards
it was great
Rachel
Book about the great depression.
maddykorneychuk
Jun 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shorties
This is truly about the times of the great depression and how people lived and what they had to go through.
Kaya
May 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a children's book I just shared with my class. It was a great tool for teaching them about the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl. The kids really took it to heart.
Tessara Dudley
Jul 28, 2016
Eileen V
Dec 28, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Who is Marissa Moss anyway?

I’ve been making children’s books for a looooong time. I sent my first picture book to publishers when I was nine, but it wasn’t very good and they didn’t publish it. I didn’t try again until I was a grown-up and then it took five years of sending out stories, getting them rejected, revising them and sending them back over and over until I got my first book. Now I’ve pub
More about Marissa Moss...

Young American Voices (4 books)
  • Rachel's Journal: The Story of a Pioneer Girl (Young American Voices, #1)
  • Emma's Journal: The Story of a Colonial Girl (Young American Voices, #2)
  • Hannah's Journal: The Story of an Immigrant Girl (Young American Voices, #3)