Start by marking “Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh, #4)” as Want to Read:
Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh, #4)

Now We Are Six

(Winnie-the-Pooh #4)

When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six complete the four-volume set of deluxe editions of the Milne and Shepard classic works. Like their companions, the Winnie-the-Pooh 80th Anniversary Edition and The House At Pooh Corner, these beautiful books feature full-color artwork on cream-colored stock. The imaginative charm that has made Pooh the world’s most famous bear per ...more
Published October 31st 1988 by Dutton Books for Young Readers (first published 1927)

To ask other readers questions about Now We Are Six, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Now We Are Six

Fergus
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This has stuck in my mind like a sing-song mnemonic, all my life since BEFORE I was six!

"They're changing the guard at Buckingham Palace -
Christopher Robin went down with Alice.
Alice is marrying one of the guards!
('A soldier's life is TERRIBLY hard,'
said Alice...)“
Kai
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I wasn’t afraid,” said Pooh, said he, “I’m never afraid with you.”

Filed under Things I'll Read To My Children. Totally cute and funny.

Find more of my books on Instagram
Nandakishore Varma
Like When We Were Very Young, this is also a terrific compilation. I love it when an adult can see through a child's eyes without losing his "adult-ness". Milne's poetry is simple and beautiful, and his humour can be enjoyed by adults and children alike.

Christopher Robin and Winnie-the-Pooh need no introduction. Quite a few of the poems in this book are about the duo. Milne accomplishes the extraordinary feat of seeing from the realistic and make-believe viewpoint at the same time (something whi
Merphy Napier
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, five-stars
I loved this so so so so so much!!!!! I highly recommend this collection of children's poems. They were so adorable and I've already reread my favorites over and over!!
Manny
Of all the knights in Appledore
The wisest was Sir Thomas Tom
He multiplied as far as four
And knew what nine was taken from
To make eleven. He could write
A letter to another knight.
Rebecca
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
When I was very young, I eyed this book cautiously.
Six seemed immeasurably ancient. I feared being infected with age.

Photobucket
Laura Verret
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Now We Are Six is a collection of poetry by A. A. Milne and contains poems not only of Pooh Bear (who claims he was looking for Piglet and wandered through this book by mistake), but also of the Knight Whose Armor Didn’t Squeak, the Two little Bears, Alexander the Beetle, and bad King John.

Here is one of my favorite poems from this book.

Knight-in-Armour

Whenever I’m a shining Knight,
I buckle on my armour tight;
And then I look about for things,
Like Rushings-Out, and Rescuings,
And Savings from
Daniel Schwabauer
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
One is never too old for A. A. Milne.
Wreade1872
As 1920's poetry collections for children go, this is fairly decent... i kind of thought it was a winnie-the-pooh book but.. whatever.
Technically Pooh is in this but its barely a cameo. I'm not a fan of poetry either, or i guess because this is for kids we may have to call it nursery rhyme? Anyway its.... fine.
Rose  Heartfilia
So to make a short story long: a friend of my mother's, his mother died (may she rest in peace). And those people already had a lot of books so all the books of the mother are brought to them and they want to dispose of them, so he calls my mom, asking if I'm interested in books. Me assuming everything was in Dutch, I was not much up to it, but he told me that there were all sorts of books. So well why not, I came there expecting a few boxes with books, maximum up to 3 or so. There were seven of ...more
Jody
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: on-my-e-shelf
Sweet enough, but ultimately forgettable. Seems to be a fairly tenuous link to the Winnie-the-Pooh series, as I think he was mentioned in only two of the poems.

I'm certainly glad to have finished off the series, but this doesn't hold a candle to the first book.
Victoria
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ian
Lunchtime read with the 2 year old. It really surprised me that he would already enjoy something that wasn't a picture book! I liked all of the poems and loved many of them. "King John's Christmas" will always be a favorite because I will ALWAYS hear it in Elisabeth Elliot's voice.
Lauren Fee
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We just finished this beautiful book of poetry during our morning time and I really would love to just start from the beginning again. I definitely plan to re-read this one and possibly pick a few poems for recitation in later years.
Yeva
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I totally was in love with this book? even though I don't like poetry. As a child? I reommend this book to every child and adult in the world! This book is absolutly brilliant!
Becky
First sentence: When you are reciting poetry, which is a thing we never do, you find sometimes, just as you are beginning, that Uncle John is still telling Aunt Rose that if he can't find his spectacles he won't be able to hear properly, and does she know where they are; and by the time everybody has stopped looking for them, you are at the last verse, and in another minute they will be saying, "Thank you, thank you," without really knowing what it was all about.

Premise/plot: This is A.A. Milne'
Rizal
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book is so beautiful with poems and illustrations. I can't help but to smile when I read poems that I can relate to when I was a little kid. Like collecting insects and tadpoles, rooting for a drop of rain on the window to finish 1st, or questioning a lot of silly things.

These are my favourites from this collection:
1. Solitude
10. Wind On The Hill
11. In The Dark
12. The End
Joey Woolfardis
Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

Some lovely poems and they were just as I imagine a child will mark his days by, but not very consistent.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Shop | Etsy
Mathew
This selection, several years after 'When We Were Very Young' is even better. I took a liking to almost all the poems and admired the range of rhythm and rhyme that takes place. Again, Milne plays so much on using the form of poetry to reflect on Christopher's life and adventures and it works so well in terms of there being poems which reflect childhood - a lot like Rosen's early stuff. I'd certainly have a classroom copy and would want to share so many with the class.
Rebecca McNutt
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books as a kid; I got a copy for my sixth birthday and I loved its unique illustrations, its vibrant poetry and its originality and imagination. Definitely a classic and a great book for children.
Summer
We started reading this at the breakfast table a couple of days after Grayson turned six. The boys loved it. Begging most meals for us to read it, we wouldn’t have gotten past Sneezles if I hadn’t insisted we push on. The giggles were grand and there was a lot of fun. We will have to revisit this every sixth birthday, and maybe more.
Lisa
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"I wasn't afraid" said Pooh, said he "I'm never afraid with you".
I find Pooh so poignant now that I am older. Reading it feels like a gentle hug for my hyperactive brain. It's like sinking into a warm bath after a full day on your feet.
It encourages me to stop, breathe and enjoy.
Such beautiful stories.
Peter Jamieson
Apparently, this is a book for 6-year olds. It says it right there in the title. Yeah - but it's heart-felt, sincere and funny. Plus, wise. So I think everyone could give this book a go, whatever age you are.
Schuyler
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
A charming collection of poetry exploring life through a child's eyes. Some childhood woes and joys you never forget, and this reminded me of many of them.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A tiny, tiny book of tiny, tiny poems, filled with lots of rhyme and repetition and delightful silliness.

I was happy to see this little poem that I've used for ages during Poem-in-Your Pocket:

When I was one, I just begun.
When I was two, I was nearly new.
When I was three, I was hardly me.
When I was four,
I was not much more.
When I was five, I was just alive.
But now I’m six,
I'm as clever as clever.
So I think I'll be six now, forever and ever!
Alana
Most of these poems just feel like moments where a happy father watched with amused joy at his children playing, and trying to imagine what was going on in their heads -- and that's probably exactly what he WAS doing. It's like taking snapshots or video, except Milne did it in poetry and little imaginative stories.

The classic illustrations are delightful as well... Pooh Bear and company, kinds and queens and nights, Christopher Robin... they all just pop off the page.
Nightary
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
“So—here I am in the dark alone,
There’s nobody here to see;
I think to myself,

I play to myself,
And nobody knows what I say to myself;
Here I am in the dark alone,
What is it going to be?
I can think whatever I like to think,
I can play whatever I like to play,
I can laugh whatever I like to laugh,
There’s nobody here but me.”

j_karlovska
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Reading Rush 2019 Book #15
Why are there only four Winnie-the-Pooh books? I want them to go on forever, I'm not yet done with them! Now We Are Six is also a collection of verse and I loved it as much as all the other ones. I'm just not ready to move on, I wish there were like at least 12 of them.
Jo
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This is a book I want every child to hear and I will be saving it and reading to my future children!

The language is so lovely - it's fun to read and listen to and I can imagine children really enjoying it. It's just a very well-written book and I like.
Hannah Reeves
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This one was really fun to read aloud to Phoebe, most of them were laugh out loud funny and sweet.
Isabella
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn’t put this book down! For a day straight I sat down in my room reading this book! It was fantastic I really recommend this book to anybody who likes poetry!
Goodreads Librari...: combine editions 3 12 Dec 09, 2017 10:20AM
101 Books to Read...: Winnie-the-Pooh 04 - Now We Are Six 1 3 Sep 09, 2017 08:49PM

• The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher (Rabbit Ears)
  • A Child's Garden of Verses
  • Leif the Lucky
  • The Owl and the Pussycat
  • The Adventures of Maya the Bee
  • Clever Polly and the Stupid Wolf
Alan Alexander Milne (pronounced /ˈmɪln/) was an English author, best known for his books about the teddy bear Winnie-the-Pooh and for various children's poems.

A. A. Milne was born in Kilburn, London, to parents Vince Milne and Sarah Marie Milne (née Heginbotham) and grew up at Henley House School, 6/7 Mortimer Road (now Crescent), Kilburn, a small public school run by his father. One of his teac

Winnie-the-Pooh (4 books)
  • Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)
  • The House at Pooh Corner (Winnie-the-Pooh, #2)
  • When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)
“But now I am six. And I'm clever as clever. And now I think I'll stay six now forever and ever.” 134 likes
“When I was One,
I had just begun.
When I was Two,
I was nearly new.
When I was Three
I was hardly me.
When I was Four,
I was not much more.
When I was Five, I was just alive.
But now I am Six, I'm as clever as clever,
So I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.”
89 likes