Start by marking “Hollywood Hoofbeats: Trails Blazed Across The Silver Screen” as Want to Read:
Hollywood Hoofbeats: Trails Blazed Across The Silver Screen

Hollywood Hoofbeats: Trails Blazed Across The Silver Screen

Petrine Day Mitchum tells stories in page-turning detail, covering topics such as behind-the-scenes portraits of both famous movie horses and those virtually unknown; personal accounts from their trainers, owners, and co-stars; simple and complex horse stunts, from a fall in mid-gallop to a race across a bridge during a live explosion; and historic black-and-white photogra ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Lumina Media (first published September 25th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Hollywood Hoofbeats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hollywood Hoofbeats

Start your review of Hollywood Hoofbeats: Trails Blazed Across The Silver Screen
Ashes
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horses, shelf
4.25* I never really thought of horses as actors, but after reading this one I'll never again be able to watch a movie with horse cast without wondering "oh, which horse actor is that?" or "how did the trainer achieve that?" And I mean it in a good way. It also made me want to watch a bunch of movies that I haven't yet seen, mostly older ones. One day, if time allows...

The author covers the majority of filmography that horse lovers probably know by heart. I grew up on movies such as Black Beauty
Lisa Pollison
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lovely book that should be updated every ten years or so. it's an important record of the horses who co-star in some of the biggest and most beloved films each year. If they do a new edition, it would benefit from better proof-reading since famous actors' names are frequently spelled 3 or 4 different ways and the Index needs to be expanded to include the horses names and actors' names as well as famous trainers and famous character names of horses. At present the index is pretty much just film n ...more
Robert
Aug 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
A top notch history of horses in movies by the daughter of Robert Mitchum. This is one of those boks you didn't know you needed until you read it. If you like movies and/or horses this is well worth a look.
Victoria
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
While I admit I didn't read every word, this book was delightful to peruse and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to fans of film, westerns, and/or horse-lovers. It was chock-full of interesting stories, great photos, and behind-the-scene details about famous movies and tv shows, actors, and their horses. Also includes info about how/when the American Humane Association got started to protect these beautiful animals during filming.

While reading this book I tried to imagine a western film or tv
Grace
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Even if you're not horse-mad, it's an interesting glimpse into behind the scenes Hollywood with the training and legal questions (aka animal abuse). You should have a new appreciation for the skill and forethought that went into a number of old favorites featuring four-legged stars. It even gives a nod to animated horses with Spirit.
Becky
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was a horse-crazy kid, so I really enjoyed this book. So much information about horses in the movies and on TV that I never knew about. Really brought back a lot of memories.
Marlene
Apr 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I heard an interview with this author on NPR's Fresh Air, and I really became interested in the horse 'stars' of Hollywood. I learned a great deal about how some of the most famous horse sequences were filmed (Man from Snowy River, Ben Hur, Cat Ballou, The Black Stallion). My criticism is that after about 25 pages, there were too many horses, too many cowboy actors, too many trainers, too many stuntmen, and I got confused!
Barbara J Stevenson
Entertainment at its best

Well researched and presented in very readable stories supported by beautiful photos. A trip down memory lane recounting the great movies and the two and four-legged stars who made them. I'm giving this book as gifts to all my horse loving friends.
Annie Wigley
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gallop through silver screen history

Oddly ordered, but fun run through the years of horses and their people in movies and tv. Not a thriller, but enjoyable for horse lovers.
Jennifer Kyrnin
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love the photos, and the information about horses is wonderful in this book.
Lesley Lodge
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horses
Fantastic - packed with interesting facts and fabulous pictures.
Wendy
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved this book about horses in the movies. Just fascinating for me.
jennet wheatstonelllsl Proc
Iris Odelle
Jul 20, 2017
Robert Bogusch
Apr 06, 2017

• Innocent to the Last (The Innocents Mystery Series #6)
  • The Collected Stories
  • The Call of the Wild
  • Dobry wilk. Tragedia w szwedzkim zoo
  • The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas
  • The Ultimate Horse Book
  • Runaway Max (Stranger Things, #3)
  • Fox 8
  • Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell
  • Sixth of the Dusk
  • What's Your Enneatype? An Essential Guide to the Enneagram: Understanding the Nine Personality Types for Personal Growth and Strengthened Relationships
  • The Last Trial (Kindle County Book 11)
  • King Kong
  • Think Like a Monk: Train Your Mind for Peace and Purpose Every Day
  • Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, #1)
  • DC Super Hero Girls: At Metropolis High