Start by marking “The Gospel Blimp and Other Modern Parables” as Want to Read:
The Gospel Blimp and Other Modern Parables

The Gospel Blimp and Other Modern Parables

Here is a collection of Joe Bayly's best-loved stories: The Gospel Blimp (which sold over 200,000 copies in its original edition); the famous Gooley stories; How Silently, How Silently the classic Christmas Parable; and others.

"A long-overdue, embarrassingly accurate commentary on the feverish futility of too many sincere but pathetically misguided evangelical Christians.
Published January 29th 2002 by David C. Cook (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about The Gospel Blimp and Other Modern Parables, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gospel Blimp and Other Modern Parables

Dean Anderson
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Joseph Bayly had a unique perspective as a story teller. So often we are told a writer should just tell a story and not try to make a point, but that sure isn't the way Jesus told stories. Bayly understood you could go into a story with the intention of teaching a lesson, and yet still make his characters and his stories rich. The Gospel Blimp is, of course, the main attraction and still has much to teach about mistakes made in evangelism. The two Gooley stories are great fun, poking fun at the ...more
Noel Burke
The first story about the Gospel blimp was great! It was clear that one of the take aways was that our efforts to serve Christ and share our faith should be in the simple rubbing of shoulders with our neighbors and not an elaborate scheme and complicated and timely programming to where we have little time to even say hello to those around us. The rest of the stories in this book where a mixed bag of decent and confusing stories. Perhaps confusing is not the right word. I simply didn’t understand ...more
Joshua D.
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doug Wilson's foreword to The Gospel Blimp begins, "there is a difference between being a contrarian and being a grouch." Wilson goes on to observe that, of course, the difference is primarily one of attitude. The grouch delights in being grumpy, while the contrarian would rather not always be contrary, if he could avoid it. But secondly, Wilson contends the difference between the two is in how they "see." The grouch simply sees something new and different (or that doesn't match his preferences) ...more
Telps
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting collection of stories and parables. I was anxious to read the next story, but found myself spending time in contemplation, which I guess was the author's intent. One story made little sense, but it probably has to do with my personality and my interests. I would recommend this book to someone of faith who would like their faith challenged and nurtured.
Jeffrey Hendricks
I'm begging you to read this book. The brilliance that come from Bayly's pen is only trumped by the next story. This compilation was so very well put together, it started with a bang and didn't let up. I'm putting in my children's required reading list. I require you to read it as well.
Paul Kurtz
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I heard about this book on the radio show "The White Horse Inn" and decided to read it. I'm glad I did. It was full of very witty satire about the mind-set of evangelicalism. Even though it was written in the 1960's, it is still spot on. It was funny and convicting at the same time.
William
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
A wonderful little book of parables that cut right to the heart of things, often with a healthy dose of humour. One or two are convoluted duds, but the rest are great. Bayly especially highlights our propensity for getting distracted from Jesus by our misguided attempts to serve him.
Jonathan Clede
A story about evangelism that is funny, yet hits close to home and makes me think carefully about my own life as a Christian and relationships with my neighbors!
Jay
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Poignant and powerful. Satirical without viciousness.
Matt Carpenter
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a great collection of stories. I'd never read the late Joseph
Bayly until now, but he had a knack for skewering Evangelicalism, and then skewering me with gracious conviction.
Robert Campbell
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is laugh out loud funny while being painfully accurate. It is also hard to believe this book was written in 1962 - it reads much more like a commentary on the present or recent past!
David Marsh
Jan 25, 2016
David Harris
Feb 02, 2017
Rodders
rated it did not like it
Aug 25, 2011