Start by marking “The Laura Ingalls Wilder Country Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Laura Ingalls Wilder Country Cookbook

The Laura Ingalls Wilder Country Cookbook

Now readers can share Laura Ingalls Wilder's classic country cooking in a convenient new paperback edition of this lovely cookbook. Over 70 of Laura's original recipes, updated for modern kitchens, are enriched with anecdotes about the Wilders by noted historian William Anderson and enhanced by Leslie Kelly's full-color photos.
Published October 1st 1997 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published April 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about The Laura Ingalls Wilder Country Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Laura Ingalls Wilder Country Cookbook

Start your review of The Laura Ingalls Wilder Country Cookbook
Louise
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Interesting little tidbits about LIW's life & homemaking philosophies. Some of the recipes didn't look particularly appetizing for a person with more modern tastes, but I did get some great ideas for frugal homestyle meals! ...more
Barbara
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is different from The Little House Cookbook, compiled by Barbara M. Walker, which shares recipes mentioned in the Little House books. This book was the result of finding Laura’s “home-made cookbook, waterlogged and wrinkled” “among reams of the yellowed papers that are a witness to her writing life” (p. vi).

Her cookbook was in the form of a scrapbook, which I enjoyed since I did mine that way as well. But hers was literally made of scraps. It contains her owned penned recipes, “clippin
Dianna
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pv
I never plan to make any of the recipes from this book, but I still adored it. It is packed with memories and photographs from Laura's adult life at Rocky Ridge. A must-read for Little House fans!
Sheryl Tribble
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
The pictures and little write ups (by William Anderson) are wonderful, and we've liked the recipes I've made. This is more a "Depression-era to the 1950s" cookbook than one of frontier recipes, which I think disappoints some readers. It's what Laura was cooking as an adult, not what she grew up on. Even the compiler finds some of the recipes a bit plain, suggesting the cook add seasoning to a couple, and anyone who collects cookbooks will have plenty of other (and possibly better) versions of a ...more
Connie
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Hidden among this collection of recipes from the farm kitchen of Laura Ingalls Wilder are little poems and snippets that give readers a glimpse into her farming life at Ricky Ridge. The recipes are fun, too!
Avery
Mar 27, 2008 rated it liked it
I love Laura Ingalls Wilder but does anyone really want to eat hardtack?

Give us the custard recipe from Farmer Boy Laura!
Melinda
We got this when we toured Laura and Almanzo's house in Misssouri. Lovely pictures of their farm, and fun recipes too!
Jamie Leach
May 07, 2020 added it
Shelves: 2020
Found some recipes I will try. 👍
April Spaugh
Oct 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cook-books
The best thing about this book (and why I gave it three stars) are the pictures of Laura's Ozark home, Rocky Ridge Farm, and a lot of history that goes along with it. The recipes are just okay. Nothing very unique and some are downright boring. The only interesting recipe is for Dandelion Soup, which uses dandelion leaves. There aren't a lot of recipes either, so it is a quick read.
Sally Schmidt
Aug 10, 2013 rated it liked it
I took a basic cooking class as a kid based on this cookbook (it was a kind of summer day camp that lasted around 2 weeks). We read bits from the Little House series and then made goodies like baked apples and cornbread. It was such fun and really helped connect us with the stories!
Helena
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Some recipes looked really good, some I would never make, but the blurbs and pictures make this book worth flipping through even if you have no intention of cooking from it.
Elaine Brown
Jun 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Bought this at the Mansfield home bookshop. Has pictures and info about the home, along with recipes. Going to try her signature Gingerbread recipe first.
June Jacobs
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite childhood authors was Laura Ingalls Wilder, and as an adult I enjoyed getting a peek into her life on Rocky Ridge Farm in Missouri through this book. The book contains her recipes found in a scrapbook after her death along with beautiful photos of the house and farm where she and her husband lived for decades.

The narratives include anecdotes about Laura and her love of cooking, farming, family and neighbors. A reader learns about her love of entertaining and her creativity whe
A wonderful book. I really enjoyed the color photos of Rocky Ridge Farm. The antidotes and personal stories on every other page make this such a joyful cookbook. There are also photos of Laura, Almanzo and Rose on the farm. I remember making the gingerbread as a child from a different, Laura Ingalls Wilder Cookbook. It was a real treat to find the Gingerbread recipe again on pg. 83. The cake was even more wonderful than I had remembered.
Alexandra Fil
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, cookbook
The book features a solid collection of recipes, along with some really interesting facts about the Wilder family. However, the facts weren't very cohesive the the recipes they were featured next to, so it felt a little random.
Wendy Mills
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun and entertaining book to read. Laura included a lot of photos from her life on Rocky Ridge Farm, and growing up as a pioneer child, as well as delicious recipes that are simple and uncomplicated to make.
Rayna Gausnell
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great
Connie
See my review for an earlier edition.
Mastrong
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great pictures and stories of Laura's life. I am going to cook my way through this one. Even includes a section on drinks and snacks.
Maria Pettersson
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
There are some really interesting recipes here. I even tried to cook some of them. Really helps you get an image of what they ate back in the pioneer days.
Mandi
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lisa
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts
I want this book. I think I NEED this book. It's just basic cooking. Basic cooking in simple language. (with Laura pics & stories of course.) As soon as I can put a couple bucks aside I'm buying it. ...more
Jeanne
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I used several recipes from this book and enjoyed learning how to cook "Laura" style. The background information and explanations were perfect for any Laura fan.
Amy
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Art of Inheriting Secrets
  • Wall of Silence
  • Family Linen
  • "Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?": A Psychologist Explains the Development of Racial Identity
  • A Little House Sampler: A Collection of Early Stories and Reminiscenses
  • Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
  • Dashing Through the Snow
  • Libertarians on the Prairie: Laura Ingalls Wilder, Rose Wilder Lane, and the Making of the Little House Books
  • The Little House Cookbook: Frontier Foods from Laura Ingalls Wilder's Classic Stories
  • Whiskey in a Teacup: What Growing Up in the South Taught Me About Life, Love, and Baking Biscuits
  • City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)
  • We Met in December
  • The First Days of School: How to Be An Effective Teacher [with CD]
  • The Perfect Storm: A True Story of Men Against the Sea
  • The Jesus Bible, NIV Edition
  • A Holiday Yarn (A Seaside Knitters Mystery #4)
  • Smashed: Story of a Drunken Girlhood
  • The Passengers
Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. She also wrote a regular newspaper column and kept a diary as an adult moving from South Dakota to Missouri, the latter of which has been published as a book.